Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? (9209 Views)

Are Nigerian Movies Actually The Best In Africa? / Why Are Nigerian Not Traditionally Innovative? / Are Nigerian Movies Really That Good (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by naves(m): 1:10pm On Mar 11, 2013
This questions has been bothering me for some time now.

Most music video are better in location, camera resolution, graphics, creativity, storyline, plot etc than the home movies.

Why is this so/what could be the reason? or is it that the music video directors are better than the home video directors?

Pls, help me shed some light on this issue. . . .
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 2:11pm On Mar 11, 2013
Not just Naija... practically every country has better music videos than feature films. Without breaking it down they are easier to make.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by enyieuna: 5:25pm On Mar 11, 2013
because they keep copying people's story line

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Mar 11, 2013
VillageBoi:
Not just Naija... practically every country has better music videos than feature films. Without breaking it down they are easier to make.
There is your answer, OP. Music videos are shorter thereby making them easier to make.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by pekelepekele(m): 5:28pm On Mar 11, 2013
Because music videos are not that much in length at most it is 6min compare to that of Home videos of 45min and above . The cash you will use in providing a low quality home video is enough to shoot a very good music video

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by ocheejemb: 5:29pm On Mar 11, 2013
Not true that its the same for most countries. The gap in Nigeria is huuuuge, but good movies have started coming out small by small. It is true that the amount of money required to make them is a huge factor. I imagine it costs a couple million naira to shoot and edit and etc etc a good 4 minute music video, so I can imagine how much a 90minute movie will cost
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by hakymworld1(m): 5:29pm On Mar 11, 2013
figure it out yourself !!!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by alaladakosta(f): 5:33pm On Mar 11, 2013
jamb kwension.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by mysticgal(f): 5:34pm On Mar 11, 2013
smh,and this was awarded front page.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by bellaberry: 5:39pm On Mar 11, 2013
In my opinion, i think it is due to the fact that music videos are shorter in length than home videos.

Being shorter in length, it will generally require less expenses; to shoot just a few scenes, as compared to movies that are over an hour long.

You dig?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Mar 11, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Warlord3000(m): 5:43pm On Mar 11, 2013
That's because most videos have the touch of professionals like Clarence peters, Patrick Ellis, Akin Alabi, SESAN etc smiley

Home videos are nothing to write home about..

Except the Tunde Kelani and the the Tage Ogidans and some few ones
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:47pm On Mar 11, 2013
Let's ask Andy Best (Chukwu), Tunde Kelani, Clearence Peters & DJ Tee.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Clemzy16(m): 5:56pm On Mar 11, 2013
Home video (drama) is make-believe. Sometimes the poor quality,location or setting of a movie adds to the reflection of the storyline of the movie. Whereas music video is an exaggerated form of art. It cost less and it takes shorter period of time to produce. This being the reason(s) for their differences in quality and otherwise.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by MillionDollars: 6:02pm On Mar 11, 2013
Please y would dis stupid question make frontpage?!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Cine(m): 6:13pm On Mar 11, 2013
nigerian music vids are technically a lot better than Nigerian films but conceptually they're no better than average. They're better technically because they're much easier to make due to the fact they last 3-5 minutes, whereas as a film has to hold ones attention for 80-120 minutes.

Besides for a nice song, all one needs to find is a nice hotel room, some good looking scantily clad girls, a hit song, that's well shot, and that's it.

A movie needs a world class script, and to date there have been no world class scripts written in Nigeria, because there are no world class nigeria screen writers working in the industry yet. As things develope, we'll see world class movies being made here.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by fittty(m): 6:17pm On Mar 11, 2013
Ok
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by bluesaint(m): 6:21pm On Mar 11, 2013
This is simply a matter of the quality of technology employed in the production, like camera type n other things. Have u noticed that some of the TV dramas have more picture quality than our home videos? E.g Spider and the rest. Clarence peters has some good HD cameras wit alota creativiy in his brian. My onitsha brothers don't like improvements.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by oshioke2012: 6:29pm On Mar 11, 2013
Hay guys, i have listened to all ur views, mostly true about d fact that a movie is longer, piracy nd so on... Bt i tink thier is sumtin u guys are nt seing, LAZINESS! No body wants to put in time into a movie in our country, d producers want a film don quickly nd shably(anyhow) knowing dat d viewer will always watch, dey are too lazy, jst to lazy to explore thier limits in nollywood. They av d capital bt dey dnt do d right tin!
Talking frm a little experience
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Iko5000: 6:31pm On Mar 11, 2013
bluesaint:
This is simply a matter of the quality of technology employed in the production, like camera type n other things. Have u noticed that some of the TV dramas have more picture quality than our home videos? E.g Spider and the rest. Clarence peters has some good HD cameras wit alota creativiy in his brian. My onitsha brothers don't like improvements.

onitsha brothers don't like improvements quite right and also they have refused to learn how to edit a film properly and camera technics.

I watch a film yesterday where they used 30 mins to show a prayer session ,we know they are praying do we have to make the scene 30 mins or 1 hr to show a club scene of someone dancing with no dialogue
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by sleekymag(m): 6:32pm On Mar 11, 2013
Cine: nigerian music vids are technically a lot better than Nigerian films but conceptually they're no better than average. They're better technically because they're much easier to make due to the fact they last 3-5 minutes, whereas as a film has to hold ones attention for 80-120 minutes.

Besides for a nice song, all one needs to find is a nice hotel room, some good looking scantily clad girls, a hit song, that's well shot, and that's it.

A movie needs a world class script, and to date there have been no world class scripts written in Nigeria, because there are no world class nigeria screen writers working in the industry yet. As things develope, we'll see world class movies being made here.

I beg to differ. Well there maybe very few world class Nigerian screenwriters, but how can such scripts be produced or even come alive when we also need other world-class facilities. The thing is are there world-class directors, with world-class studio facilities, world-class equipment, and world-class crew and cast, backed by world-class producers, with world-class funds needed to produce these movies (a typical low budget Hollywood film cost a few million dollars). How long do you think a Nollywood producer can hold a supposed A-list actor for? How long does it take to do preproduction, actual shooting days, and post-production? And now the big question is, is there economic sense in investing such amount of money into such productions? What is the return on investment? How many people go to the cinemas to see nollywood films? How much of theatrical distribution income and non-theatrical distribution income would guarantee smiles on the faces of such investors? These should be the real questions, i think.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by free2ryhme: 6:51pm On Mar 11, 2013
you can do a home video with little resources and good creativity becoause it is short but with video if you need a lot of resources and much creativity to create suspense and drama
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by huninaija(f): 7:04pm On Mar 11, 2013
The amount these directors charge for a 4 minute video is enough to edit and direct Part 1 and Part 2 of Nigerian home made videos.

Wih music videos there is quality, nigerian home made videos aren't quality and not much is spent on production altho its changing!
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Cine(m): 7:19pm On Mar 11, 2013
Sleekymag: I beg to differ. Well there maybe very few world class Nigerian screenwriters, but how can such scripts be produced or even come alive when we also need other world-class facilities. The thing is are there world-class directors, with world-class studio facilities, world-class equipment, and world-class crew and cast, backed by world-class producers, with world-class funds needed to produce these movies (a typical low budget Hollywood film cost a few million dollars). How long do you think a Nollywood producer can hold a supposed A-list actor for? How long does it take to do preproduction, actual shooting days, and post-production? And now the big question is, is there economic sense in investing such amount of money into such productions? What is the return on investment? How many people go to the cinemas to see nollywood films? How much of theatrical distribution income and non-theatrical distribution income would guarantee smiles on the faces of such investors? These should be the real questions, i think.

I focus on the role of screenwriter because a good film can never arise from a bad script. Although you do make some valid points about the other roles which I feel (and hope) will progress naturally from better writing.

The budget constraints aspect of your argument i don't see as significant. I believe phone swap had a $500,000 budget... this is clearly relative to the $1-5m low budget indie American film (nb no country in the world can compete with Hollywood's high end $100-300m budgets). I believe budgets will grow in relation to the ability to sell films to the public i.e. *state of the art cinemas, better tv deals etc etc.

* infrastructures a concern, but according to ben bruce, films makers in nigeria will in the near future be multi millionaires.

Another point of concern is the fact that very few people working in the Nigerian industry are actual students of cinema (as their peers are abroad). How many aspiring directors/screenwriters can say they've watched films prior to 1970 or the films of the great European, Asian, African, and American film makers before them. How many know the films of Ray, Welles, Kurosawa, Kubrick, Bergman, Ossie Davis to name a few.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 11, 2013
VillageBoi:
case closed
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 11, 2013
VillageBoi:
I disagree with this. Movies are of better quality than music videos in most countries of the West.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by slimfit1(m): 7:57pm On Mar 11, 2013
Because a lot of these film producers are not qualified film producers there attention to details is very bad.

In addition, there main target is only on money not the desire to get a quality work out to meet world standards. To be honest its been 5 years since I've watched a Nigerian film. Characters are just not convincing enough terrible acting as a result of having a non professional producers producing movies of what should have been a primary school quality.

There should be a board that approves and disapprove movies which would focus on quality, style etc. when we improve our standards the international world would recognise our work.
so also, our packaging is awful. The world don't have the time for part one part to part three in other words the world don't do to be continued try to cut out unnecessary scene.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 11, 2013
And who even told u nigerian songs have gud story lines
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 8:07pm On Mar 11, 2013
Cine:
sleekymag:
I beg to differ. Well there maybe very few world class Nigerian screenwriters, but how can such scripts be produced or even come alive when we also need other world-class facilities. The thing is are there world-class directors, with world-class studio facilities, world-class equipment, and world-class crew and cast, backed by world-class producers, with world-class funds needed to produce these movies (a typical low budget Hollywood film cost a few million dollars).

You both make very interesting and valid points. I lean more on what Cine said about scriptwriting. There is a saying 'Story is king'... and he also rightly states that 'A good film can never arise from a bad script'... even with a world class director at the helm, with world class production, equipment, facilities and so on. A bad script can NEVER be turned into a good film.

In his response to you he mentions the budget constraints aspect of the argument as not being significant. To a point I agree with that. One of the mistakes we make is looking at Hollywood $100-200+ budgets - we should never do that nor should we ever compare 'Nollywood' to Hollywood - they are 2 completely different things.

There are a ton of absolutely amazing indie films shot all over the world with miniscule budgets. One of the major issues with nigerian filmmaking is 'practically' everyone in the industry got involved to chase the money first. I doubt it was ever about the love of the art or the know how. Can things be done well on a really small budget? Yes. The start of 'Nollywood' was basically the Dogme 95 manifesto but without the 'know-how'. (Till today 'Festen (The celebration)' is one of my favourite films.

Until we have a larger group of individuals that, as Cine again mentioned, are 'students of cinema' the bulk of our films will remain the same. Fair enough, almost everyone is shooting on a DSLR now so the 'perceived' quality is higher... but there is much more to it than just an HD image be it a filmic one or not. We live in a wonderful era now and filmmaking has become democratised... it has never been so affordable or accessible. Everything one needs to become a 'student of cinema' is online... not that I'm saying film school is not a good idea; it is but if one can't afford it they can find invaluable tools at the click of a mouse. But as I say in many threads - 'We Nigerians are very lazy filmmakers'. We generally refuse to keep on 'learning' and believe that once we have barked the word "Action" that we have arrived... oh that couldn't be further from the truth.

Sorry I'm just rambling here. Anyway shaa... one day there will be a full on, no stopping 'Nouvelle Nollywood'.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Music Videos Better Than The Home Movies? by VillageBoi(m): 8:24pm On Mar 11, 2013
all4naija: I disagree with this. Movies are of better quality than music videos in most countries of the West.

Not really. Depends what you actually mean by 'better'. There is more to it than the basic sentence I wrote at the start of the thread. In the 'West' music videos are much better than feature films (we're talking high-end music videos). One of the reasons is - that is where a lot of new directors, producers and so on channel in a lot of creativity to showcase 'what they can do'. Music videos are also important 'calling cards'. Why because everyone wants to get into the big money world of 'feature films'. It is so much easier to throw everything in your arsenal into a 3-5min music video.

The music video world and the advertising world have a lot of the same players including highly creative people that put very serious thought into projects. Ok let's even remove music videos that can also be any rubbish bikini-booty bouncing to music. It is harder to make a (this is the keyword) 'brilliant' 30 sec, 60 sec ad or 3-5, 5-10 min short film than it is to make a feature film. Forget the visual 'quality' of feature films... there is a lot of stuff that we over-look and easily forgive during the 2hrs we spend watching the film... stuff that we will never forgive if it is in an ad, music video or short film.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Top 50 Current Tv Series You Need Not Fail To Watch!!! / Adekunle Evicted From The Big Brother Naija All Stars House / Ultimate Search 6: Wale Alabi Eviction Was Political

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.