Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! (7617 Views)

Ex Kogi Gov Audu Abubakar Gets Married To A Much Younger Lady / Peter And Paul Okoye's Younger Sister Weds / Nigerian Celebrities That Are Still Virgins ( Photos ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by HisRib(f): 1:35am On Mar 15, 2013
To the foolish people talking about "must we always follow follow." It is this mentality that is stopping Africa from moving forward. If we were intelligent, we would take ideas from the West and use it for our own benefit.

So we should stop building highways, good roads and all too right? After all, it's all just "follow follow." NONSENSE!
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by fubbyy(m): 6:50am On Mar 15, 2013
HisRib: Once again, I'm NOT saying entertainment has a retirement age. I didn't say the older actors should disappear. I'm simply saying, we need to encourage new talent & particularly young people. There are talented people out there looking for opportunities. Why not give them a chance? Do you know that in Hollywood even BIG actors have to audition for roles?

Why can't we do the same? This is how you discover new talent. This is how you explore someone's potential. Most African actors can only play a certain role, meanwhile in Hollywood, you have people like Idris Elba for instance, he has a Brittish accent but can sound completely American. Nicole Kidman is Australian but can sound American. For crying out loud, Leo Dicaprio played a role of a white South African in blood diamonds.

How do you think they have landed such roles? Auditions! Miley Cyrus began her career in Hanna Montanna, she went to the audition as a nobody and was chosen for the role due to her great performance.

Why can't African talent evolve? Why do our actors refuse to train and evolve? I once watched a Nigerian movie, I forgot the name. But, in the movie the guy went to study in America then after 5 years returned to Nigeria. Ask me why the guy returned and was faking a Brittish accent? Wasn't he supposed to go to America?

I just get annoyed with all these nonsense. Oh by the way, when I speak of new talent, I'm referring to everything -- actors, producers, writers, cameraman, directors, make-up artists, stylists. We need NEW talent. That is ALL!

I wonder if some of the people getting offended are Nollywood actors undercover. Lol. I see y'all!
true , but the subject of your thread should be "new celebrities in nollywood" not "young celebrities in africa". Because its only in nollywood that we keep seeing the same old faces,in music no one stay there for more than 5 years(except 2face) we are having new celebs steady and age has nothing to do in entertainment world

The problem with nollywood is they don't do things right, when you go to audition you will find out that those they collected their names after audiTioning are not those they will end up calling, 2much favoritism,nepotism, god fatherism, politics

Meanwhile the producers are producing movies for one major ambition which is to make money, its strictly business for them unlike hollywood that produce to make money and to entertain

So because of this nollywood are not reAdy to nurture new talents, they prefer old faceS because that's what the market wants,Even ghana is doing well more than us when it comes to producing new arts

Please I need notice of auditions in south east
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 15, 2013
Hey...I'm not vexed. The problem with you nigerians is you don't find out things before you conclude. Very typical. Most of you don't even watch Nollywood movies anymore, yet you claim to know what's up. I'm a person who happens to be following changes in the industry: someone already gave names of the new faces in nollywood, you chose to disregard it. I can remember there was a thread recently..about 'fresh male faces' or so, that one too na rubbish abi? You just chose not to see the new faces, and that's it!

Most of the problems you guys keep saying, I can tell that for a fact that the game has changed.
I keep telling people, if you really wanna see the new nollywood, go to a cinema. alaba hustlers will never change, atleast until they see someone like fashola to be their head who will shut them down grin. Those are nigerians for you.

Most new faces act in cinema movies...no one wants to be associated with mediocre in this 21st century. So just grab a ticket to watch a nollywood movie at the movies...then come back to argue any issue you still have with the industry. Cheers

For me, I just need a regulatory body for the industry and everything will be alright.

1 Like

Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by samkoro: 11:25am On Mar 15, 2013
HisRib: Honestly, aren't you tired of seeing the same old celebrities over and over again?

We need fresh, new and young talent.

Where are the Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Jennifer Lawrence, Selena Gomez, Jayden Smith, Drake (insert more young celebs here) of Africa?

Why aren't we seeking new talent and new faces? I'm tired of seeing 30 and over people singing & acting like children to remain relevant!

Even Nollywood needs new talent. It's the same actors over and over again. That's why they have 35 year olds playing the role high school students. They need to start holding auditions to attract fresh/new talent.

I'm tired of seeing Omotola, Genevieve and company in every movie. They are old birds now. Just losing interest.

We don't need entertainment celebrities at all.It is a distraction to the young People who are made to think that acting and singing are all that is required to be a success.Wrong modeling!

What we need are what I may call activist technicians,activist scientists,activist engineers,activist technologist,activist environmentalists and may be activst musicians that will stir up the mind of our society and politicians towards realising that we totaly embrace industrialization now or the futuire will be devastating for this country.

We neither need a Genevieve nor an Omotola now for several reasons.

1) They promote vanities which are expensive to our economy but benefits the developed countries where all the luxury items are manufactured.Their kind of celebrity do not bring modest,realistic,technical and strategic reasoning to the fore;in a Nigeria of Private Jets ,Rolls Royce and Yatches on one side and wetched citizen that feed from waste bins on the other side of one Nigeria.

Just like the West,let it be business before pleasure.Developement before entertainment.

African Americans are left on the fringes of entertainment busines while tje Jews run the show(the tech and equipements in entertainment,whic is the real thing.
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 15, 2013
samkoro:

We don't need entertainment celebrities at all.It is a distraction to the young People who are made to think that acting and singing are all that is required to be a success.Wrong modeling!

What we need are what I may call activist technicians,activist scientists,activist engineers,activist technologist,activist environmentalists and may be activst musicians that will stir up the mind of our society and politicians towards realising that we totaly embrace industrialization now or the futuire will be devastating for this country.

We neither need a Genevieve nor an Omotola now for several reasons.

1) They promote vanities which are expensive to our economy but benefits the developed countries where all the luxury items are manufactured.Their kind of celebrity do not bring modest,realistic,technical and strategic reasoning to the fore;in a Nigeria of Private Jets ,Rolls Royce and Yatches on one side and wetched citizen that feed from waste bins on the other side of one Nigeria.

Just like the West,let it be business before pleasure.Developement before entertainment.

African Americans are left on the fringes of entertainment busines while tje Jews run the show(the tech and equipements in entertainment,whic is the real thing.

What's this one saying? undecided so because nigeria is a developing nation, there shouldn't be entertainment again? You sounded more like a sadist.
And are you the one feeding on waste bins? Because I don't understand why nairalanders always exaggerate nigerian issues. Please pack well

Btw, incase you don't know, movies is one of the major ways through which nigerian mindset can be changed.
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by ctreasure1(f): 5:19pm On Mar 15, 2013
i believe we need both new,creative & talented pple of all age mix with the veterans that are there now,bt nobody wants to have a rival or rivals in there field/work,thats why their films remain the same old story.
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by safarigirl(f): 7:20am On Mar 20, 2013
HisRib:

Hi there,

I understand your point. BUT, from what I recall, someone needs to have a following larger than 2 or 4 people to be considered a celebrity.

They would quality as struggling actors. Do they deserve an opportunity to shine? Absolutely! That is why holding AUDITIONS is key. This is how you explore an actor's potential. This is HOW you discover NEW talent.

dear, they have a following alright!

Some of those people are award-winners. O.C Ukeje just won the aMVCA, same as Ivie. Their following may not be a majority, but they are celebs in their own right (even my oga at the top is a celeb).

If you ask 40 percent of Nigerians(even more) they'll know these guys, even if not for home movies, I know about that amount follow Tinsel on Africa Magic, isn't that enough t be a celeb?

My dear, as far as I'm concerned, anyone with a steady screen presence, is a celeb, even Salewa on Tinsel, who doesn't have a permanent role, is a celeb, even more Gideon, Gbenro, Chris Attoh, and Damilola that have been there since the inception.

If I see them, I'll know themm so they are celebs in my books
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Nobody: 8:00am On Mar 20, 2013
safarigirl: dear, they have a following alright!

Some of those people are award-winners. O.C Ukeje just won the aMVCA, same as Ivie. Their following may not be a majority, but they are celebs in their own right (even my oga at the top is a celeb).

If you ask 40 percent of Nigerians(even more) they'll know these guys, even if not for home movies, I know about that amount follow Tinsel on Africa Magic, isn't that enough t be a celeb?

My dear, as far as I'm concerned, anyone with a steady screen presence, is a celeb, even Salewa on Tinsel, who doesn't have a permanent role, is a celeb, even more Gideon, Gbenro, Chris Attoh, and Damilola that have been there since the inception.

And the guys in bold act in movies too sef. Not home videos though. You know when nollywood is mentioned, the minds of most nigerians (like the op) goes straight to home videos....forgetting that good movies actually screen at the cinemas day in day out. I don't blame them though, we have few cinemas in the country.
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by fubbyy(m): 5:04pm On Mar 20, 2013
safarigirl: dear, they have a following alright!

if your description above is a definition of a celebrity then that means all the nollywood actors and actresses are celebrities, because many actors and actresses are more popular than those names you mentioned yet no1 see them as celebs
Those names you mentioned are just actors struggling to be celebs

my dear it takes more than that to be a celebrity, atleast more than 50 percent of the industry fans must know you b4 you will be termed as a celebrity, not any1 who appears on a screen plenty times and you call him/her a celeb

The question you should ask your self is, how many people are celebrating those people, if they come out on the street how will the crowed react? Can they move crowed? What have they contributed in the industry?
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 20, 2013
fubbyy: if your description above is a definition of a celebrity then that means all the nollywood actors and actresses are celebrities, because many actors and actresses are more popular than those names you mentioned yet no1 see them as celebs
Those names you mentioned are just actors struggling to be celebs

my dear it takes more than that to be a celebrity, atleast more than 50 percent of the industry fans must know you b4 you will be termed as a celebrity, not any1 who appears on a screen plenty times and you call him/her a celeb

The question you should ask your self is, how many people are celebrating those people, if they come out on the street how will the crowed react? Can they move crowed? What have they contributed in the industry?

Guy, quit the argument. We have new Nollywood celebrities. Take it or leave it.
Whose fault is it that nigerians prefer mediocrity? Yes they do! Forget all the forming that most of them do on nairaland bashing the industry: they actually do watch the alaba craps. Thereby making those who act in such movies more popular. omoT and genny are the only very popular screen divas and their fame came from crappy films sef not the quality ones.
The new faces have decided to only act in screen movies. they have fans across africa.
If you doubt it...create a thread on one of them and see if there won't be comments indicating that they are relevant. And believe me when I tell you that these guys have higher take home than most of the so called 'popular actors'

1 Like

Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by fubbyy(m): 8:38pm On Mar 20, 2013
speedyboi:

Whose fault is it that nigerians prefer mediocrity? Yes they do! Forget all the forming that most of them do on nairaland bashing the industry: they actually do watch the alaba craps. Thereby making those who act in such movies more popular. omoT and genny are the only very popular screen divas and their fame came from crappy films sef not the quality ones.
The new faces have decided to only act in screen movies. they have fans across africa.
If you doubt it...create a thread on one of them and see if there won't be comments indicating that they are relevant. And believe me when I tell you that these guys have higher take home than most of the so called 'popular actors'
I disagree with you, my argument wasn't about them not being popular or whatever, I only insist that they are not popular enough to call celebrities,
Artists that are known by only people who follows them are not popular enough to call celebrities

Although no matter how popular you are , every1 must not know you but atleast 1 out of 10 in that country or state you claims to be a celebrity should know you

Chuka amadi's brother who happens to be my close pal always refer him as a super star just because the family and the hood knows that he's an actor and follow him up just because he's our person, now how many of you knows chuka?

Enter the street and call those names the poster mentioned, enter market and call them, ask people who don't watch movies about those names and see the response(they don't know them)

Then enter the same places and mention aki and paw paw, osuofia, mr ibu and see responds, that's what I call popularity, even conductors know these people

@ poster those guys are not yet celebrities, simple and short, if they are then being a celeb is very common to achieve
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by safarigirl(f): 8:43pm On Mar 20, 2013
speedyboi:

Even me sef tire for the guy.

Some people just refuse to be drawn out of lala land sometimes.

Truth is, whether you like it or not, these people are celebs, they may not be known by all the conductors and tomato sellers in ojuelegba (who have more troubles than staring at some guy making his own money), but they're known by the elite, and the real movie lovers of Nigeria.

These are the people Nigerians go to cinemas to watch over the likes of Ben Affleck, Angelina Jolie, Robert Pattison and Kristen Stewart....these are the internationally recognised celebs, not like Van Vicker, Mercy Johnson and their cohorts whose only location is Asaba.

These are the new faces that are pushing Nollywood forward and making the rest of the world see us as something more than mediocre jokes.

These guys are celebs in their own right, with their own followers both on facebook and twitter (the Nigerians you're talking about that don't know these guys, probably don't even know of the internet, no offence)

Oyibo no sabi Van Vicker, but they'll probably recognise O.C Ukeje faster, so is he not a celeb?

I repeat, these guys are award-winners o, even those ones who only prance about red carpets of every event are celebs, you can then imagine actual award-winning actors...bros no provoke me o

1 Like

Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Nobody: 10:36pm On Mar 20, 2013
safarigirl: Even me sef tire for the guy.

Truth is, whether you like it or not, these people are celebs, they may not be known by all the conductors and tomato sellers in ojuelegba (who have more troubles than staring at some guy making his own money), but they're known by the elite, and the real movie lovers of Nigeria.

These are the people Nigerians go to cinemas to watch over the likes of Ben Affleck, Angelina Jolie, Robert Pattison and Kristen Stewart....these are the internationally recognised celebs, not like Van Vicker, Mercy Johnson and their cohorts whose only location is Asaba.

These are the new faces that are pushing Nollywood forward and making the rest of the world see us as something more than mediocre jokes.

These guys are celebs in their own right, with their own followers both on facebook and twitter (the Nigerians you're talking about that don't know these guys, probably don't even know of the internet, no offence)

Oyibo no sabi Van Vicker, but they'll probably recognise O.C Ukeje faster, so is he not a celeb?

I repeat, these guys are award-winners o, even those ones who only prance about red carpets of every event are celebs, you can then imagine actual award-winning actors...bros no provoke me o

Thank you....

While many of us are happy that nollywood is finally getting it right (atleast the screened ones), someone dey mention aki and pawpaw....Mr ibu.....
Buhaha.....I think I will just leave him alone with his 'POINT'
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by fubbyy(m): 11:10pm On Mar 20, 2013
safarigirl: Even me sef tire for the guy.

its obvious that you and speedboi don't know the actual definition of a celebrity, your popularity makes you one, if those guys are only known by people that goes to cinema and nollywood lovers then they aint celebs my dear, you must gain 2much recognition even out of your own field b4 you will be called a celebrity

Messi was given the world highest goal scorer in history, actually there was som1 in zambia who's topping him in goals, when people complained,blatta the fifa president replied by saying that the guy should come out let the world know him because the world doesn't

As long as am concern, you can't call som1 whom 50 percent of people who watch movies can't recall when their names are mentioned a celeb, its a cheating to the real celebs

You people are making being a celebrity so cheap, tonto dikeh suffered , spoilt her name b4 she got recognition

Those names you mentioned are known by nobody, ask people in your street,working place,school,etc.. by mentioning their names not saying the guy in tinsel and see if any1 knows the names

Som1 like messi is a celebrity but there are hundreds of professional footballers like him whom is not a celebrity, why? Just because of popularity,

Dear poster your name must be ringing a bell b4 you are called a celeb and as long as am concern, if you call those names no one will notice whom you are talking about unless few people like you

1 Like

Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by drake99: 11:19pm On Mar 20, 2013
fubbyy: its obvious that you and speedboi don't know the actual definition of a celebrity, your popularity makes you one, if those guys are only known by people that goes to cinema and nollywood lovers then they aint celebs my dear, you must gain 2much recognition even out of your own field b4 you will be called a celebrity

Messi was given the world highest goal scorer in history, actually there was som1 in zambia who's topping him in goals, when people complained,blatta the fifa president replied by saying that the guy should come out let the world know him because the world doesn't

As long as am concern, you can't call som1 whom 50 percent of people who watch movies can't recall when their names are mentioned a celeb, its a cheating to the real celebs

You people are making being a celebrity so cheap, tonto dikeh suffered , spoilt her name b4 she got recognition

Those names you mentioned are known by nobody, ask people in your street,working place,school,etc.. by mentioning their names not saying the guy in tinsel and see if any1 knows the names

Som1 like messi is a celebrity but there are hundreds of professional footballers like him whom is not a celebrity, why? Just because of popularity,

Dear poster your name must be ringing a bell b4 you are called a celeb and as long as am concern, if you call those names no one will notice whom you are talking about unless few people like you
true talk

@ topic... Those guys are good actors but not popular enough to call celebs, like fubbyy said your name must be ringing 2much bell b4 you are seen as a celeb
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by HisRib(f): 4:31am On Mar 21, 2013
Being known by a few people doesn't make one a celebrity -- it just makes the popular. A celebrity is bigger than popularity. It's a brand, international star and can be recognized by everyone.

Those people you named are not, I repeat are NOT celebrities. They are JUST popular. Kind of like that popular kid in the neighbourhood everyone knows but outside his neighbourhood nobody gives a damn about him. That's NOT being celebrity.
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by fubbyy(m): 6:25am On Mar 21, 2013
HisRib: Being known by a few people doesn't make one a celebrity -- it just makes the popular. A celebrity is bigger than popularity. It's a brand, international star and can be recognized by everyone.

Those people you named are not, I repeat are NOT celebrities. They are JUST popular. Kind of like that popular kid in the neighbourhood everyone knows but outside his neighbourhood nobody gives a damn about him. That's NOT being celebrity.
God bless you, I done explain dis thing to dem tire
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Nobody: 6:40am On Mar 21, 2013
fubbyy: its obvious that you and speedboi don't know the actual definition of a celebrity, your popularity makes you one, if those guys are only known by people that goes to cinema and nollywood lovers then they aint celebs my dear, you must gain 2much recognition even out of your own field b4 you will be called a celebrity

And who told you they are not known by 50% nigerians? Because you don't know them doesn't mean others don't. A thread on nairaland will convince you. And I'm not refering to tinsel guys alone here.

Ask people in ur streets or workplaces about Nse Etim, Joseph Benjamin, Eku Edewor, O.C. Ukeje, Kenny Bankolé etc if they they won't know them. This guys are the ones making nollywood still relevant. Because you don't know them doesn't mean over 50% doesn't. And to crown it all, those guys are not village champions like mercy, tonto and the rest. They are known across africa and beyond. If you doubt that ask any diasporan (not the ones who bash the country Cos they won't tell you the truth).

Now to even move away from those you term 'upcoming celebs'.
Last I checked, mercy Johnson, tonto dike, van vicker, funke akindele etc entered the industry not more than 5 years ago. They are not new? Okay I hear.

I'm not suppose to reply again I just wanted to clear your 50% analysis that you kept druming into our hears. If you must know, the people you consider 'struggling celebs' actually gather more fans outside Nigeria than your so called '50% Known celebs'. if we are to go by most you lot analysis, then no nigerian actor is a celebrity (maybe except genny and omoT), agreed? I'm done with this thread. Chao!
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by safarigirl(f): 7:20am On Mar 21, 2013
speedyboi:

And who told you they are not known by 50% nigerians? Because you don't know them doesn't mean others don't. A thread on nairaland will convince you. And I'm not refering to tinsel guys alone here.

Ask people in ur streets or workplaces about Nse Etim, Joseph Benjamin, Eku Edewor, O.C. Ukeje, Kenny Bankolé etc if they they won't know them. This guys are the ones making nollywood still relevant. Because you don't know them doesn't mean over 50% doesn't. And to crown it all, those guys are not village champions like mercy, tonto and the rest. They are known across africa and beyond. If you doubt that ask any diasporan (not the ones who bash the country Cos they won't tell you the truth).

Last I checked, mercy Johnson, tonto dike, van vicker, funke akindele etc entered the industry not more than 5 years ago. They are not new? Okay I hear.

I'm not suppose to reply again I just wanted to clear your 50% analysis that you kept druming into our hears. If you must know, the people you consider 'struggling celebs' actually gather more fans outside Nigeria than your so called '50% Known celebs'. if we are to go by most you lot analysis, then no nigerian actor is a celebrity (maybe except genny and omoT), agreed? I'm done with this thread. Chao!
the thing tire me.

Even one of them cited an example that no one save for Afrocans know that Zambian dude with the highest goals, hence he isn't a celeb.

It's the same way only Africans know the likes of Tonto and Van Vicker, when you start mentioning stuff like ZAAFA and the likes, they're not known...does that make them celebs? Maybe to Africans, but if we go by that Zambian footballer example, then those MJ and Van Vicker people are NOT celebs cos they're not known outside Africa.

I hope I'm making sense to those shooting themselves in the foot with their arguments
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by fubbyy(m): 8:31am On Mar 21, 2013
speedyboi:

guy I know those people because am a movie fan, what am saying is they should be known by including movie fans and none movie fans, that's what makes 1 a star, you must break out of your own field, not known by only people who likes what you do

Those guys are not any celeb as long as am concern, who's even celebrating them?

You guys are comparing tonto's popularity with these guys, that's where this thread got murdered, you go even compare them with geneviev nnaji

Am outta here joor
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Fussbot: 9:50am On Mar 21, 2013
This is it,u can't compare the way people are celebrating mercy johnson,omotola etc with the likes of nse nkpe etim,gbenro etc..cus an ordinary agbero does not know nse nkpe etim...u only kno her cus u are a litterate...how many agbero dey watch tinsel??even me,I havn't watched any of her film bt I kno she's a celeb cus I do hear her name on nairaland.....and I know dem gbenro etc 2ru tinsel..bt how many agbero dey watch tinsel??so I tink dey are all celebs bt dem get grade so 2 say....
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by safarigirl(f): 11:45am On Mar 21, 2013
Fussbot: This is it,u can't compare the way people are celebrating mercy johnson,omotola etc with the likes of nse nkpe etim,gbenro etc..cus an ordinary agbero does not know nse nkpe etim...u only kno her cus u are a litterate...how many agbero dey watch tinsel??even me,I havn't watched any of her film bt I kno she's a celeb cus I do hear her name on nairaland.....and I know dem gbenro etc 2ru tinsel..bt how many agbero dey watch tinsel??so I tink dey are all celebs bt dem get grade so 2 say....
my point exactly. Only NIGERIANS celebrate them. But poeple out of the country, those in the UK, US, China, India, Australia etc, are familiar with these other guys. The people that matter (those at the award shows, those that organise award shows) know these guys.

As far as I'm concerned. Those people are CELEBRITIES in their own right. Maybe not among their people (even Jesus isn't celebrated among his own people), but the average agbero does not feed these guys...they're not acting for agberos or their opinions. They act for the opinions of thespians in the industry, those who KNOW about movies, not a bunch of semi-literates (no offence) who would accept anything mediocre as stellar.

I've made my point. There are fresh faces in Nollywood, if you want to see them, even those that do the soap operas like Heaven's Gate, Super story and Tales of Eve, aren't they fresh faces that the average Nigerian should know?

If you sit at home unconcerned with learning more about the world around you, stuff will pass you by. No one can educate a man that doesn't want to be educated
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Fussbot: 1:44pm On Mar 21, 2013
safarigirl: my point exactly. Only NIGERIANS celebrate them. But poeple out of the country, those in the UK, US, China, India, Australia etc, are familiar with these other guys. The people that matter (those at the award shows, those that organise award shows) know these guys.

As far as I'm concerned. Those people are CELEBRITIES in their own right. Maybe not among their people (even Jesus isn't celebrated among his own people), but the average agbero does not feed these guys...they're not acting for agberos or their opinions. They act for the opinions of thespians in the industry, those who KNOW about movies, not a bunch of semi-literates (no offence) who would accept anything mediocre as stellar.

I've made my point. There are fresh faces in Nollywood, if you want to see them, even those that do the soap operas like Heaven's Gate, Super story and Tales of Eve, aren't they fresh faces that the average Nigerian should know?

If you sit at home unconcerned with learning more about the world around you, stuff will pass you by. No one can educate a man that doesn't want to be educated
see,d op isn't saying we dn't have fresh faces in d movie industry,her point is dat we don't have a young act dat is widely and broadly accepted in d industry,asin a young act dat is in callibre of omotola,tonto dike in terms of fame...u know as wizkid is 2 d music industry??we dn't have a young actor lik dat...dat's it..
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by HisRib(f): 1:50pm On Mar 21, 2013
Fussbot: see,d op isn't saying we dn't have fresh faces in d movie industry,her point is dat we don't have a young act dat is widely and broadly accepted in d industry,asin a young act dat is in callibre of omotola,tonto dike in terms of fame...u know as wizkid is 2 d music industry??we dn't have a young actor lik dat...dat's it..

Exactly. I am not putting down anyone. I am simply saying we need to encourage young talent. They will be the future of African movies. Omotola, Tonto Dikeh, Gienevieve and company need to stop playing high school/college girls in movies. It just doesn't work any more. Will you ever see Halle Berry or Angelina Jolie playing a high school/college girl in a movie? NO.

We need to help and encouarge young people. The problems with Africans is JEALOUSY! They don't like to see others come up!
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by HisRib(f): 2:08pm On Mar 21, 2013
To add to the point I made above. African Entertainment needs fresh faces -- PERIOD. I am not just referring to movies. I am speaking in regards to music, models, producers, directors, bloggers, hosts, presenters et cetera. Where are the young people? Who will carry the entertainment industry in 10-15 years if we are not developing/creating young stars? Why do people have to be so jealous of one another?
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by fubbyy(m): 2:23pm On Mar 21, 2013
safarigirl: my point exactly. Only NIGERIANS celebrate them. But poeple out of the country, those in the UK, US, China, India, Australia etc, are familiar with these other guys. The people that matter (those at the award shows, those that organise award shows) know these guys.

what you are describing here is potentiality of a good actor not a celebrity, my dear you no know wetin be celebrity o, so if som1 ask you to mention nigeria celebs so you go put those names?

For crying out loud, appearing on a screen can make som1 a popular one but definitely not a super star, those guys are just popular not celebs

Your name must be ringing a big bell before you are considered as a celebrity, do you know that mike ezuruonye almost lost the glo ambassador deal because they taught his name wasn't ringing much bell

My dear just carry out a research by asking people around you(educated ones) if those guys can be called celebrities

Even those guys know they aint celebs, why the argument?
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Fussbot: 3:48pm On Mar 21, 2013
fubbyy: what you are describing here is potentiality of a good actor not a celebrity, my dear you no know wetin be celebrity o, so if som1 ask you to mention nigeria celebs so you go put those names?

For crying out loud, appearing on a screen can make som1 a popular one but definitely not a super star, those guys are just popular not celebs

Your name must be ringing a big bell before you are considered as a celebrity, do you know that mike ezuruonye almost lost the glo ambassador deal because they taught his name wasn't ringing much bell

My dear just carry out a research by asking people around you(educated ones) if those guys can be called celebrities

Even those guys know they aint celebs, why the argument?
DAT'S ALL...
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 21, 2013
Okay. I've learnt a lot of things from this thread and this is my conclusion.

Judging from your analysis;
Nse only acts on screen. She's known in nigeria and she's well celebrated outside the shores of africa but she's not a celeb. Why? Because her name doesn't ring bells to agberos. I don agree. grin

According to your analysis still.
Beyonce is known in naija and she's well celebrated outside the shores of africa. But I say she's not a celeb!!!!! Why? Because her name rings no bell to agberos and other unexposed nigerians. tongue. Yes, and I'm not twisting your words.

Now according to you again.
A celebrity's name must ring bells everywhere to prove he/she is a celeb. Now I ask an American who tonto dike is and he said 'who?' . So I say she's not a céleb. cos she's not known across the world.

If we are to go by ur analysis. No one in the world is a celeb. PERIOD!!!! Are we fine now?

And please are tonto dike and mercy Johnson old in the industry? And please when last did omotola and genevieve act secondary school girl? It seems you people don't even watch nollywood films again sef. U just dey say your own. I'm just asking ni o
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Fussbot: 4:50pm On Mar 21, 2013
speedyboi: Okay. I've learnt a lot of things from this thread and this is my conclusion.

Judging from your analysis;
Nse only acts on screen. She's known in nigeria and she's well celebrated outside the shores of africa but she's not a celeb. Why? Because her name doesn't ring bells to agberos. I don agree. grin

According to your analysis still.
Beyonce is known in naija and she's well celebrated outside the shores of africa. But I say she's not a celeb!!!!! Why? Because her name rings no bell to agberos and other unexposed nigerians. tongue. Yes, and I'm not twisting your words.

Now according to you again.
A celebrity's name must ring bells everywhere to prove he/she is a celeb. Now I ask an American who tonto dike is and he said 'who?' . So I say she's not a céleb. cos she's not known across the world.

If we are to go by ur analysis. No one in the world is a celeb. PERIOD!!!! Are we fine now?

And please are tonto dike and mercy Johnson old in the industry? And please when last did omotola and genevieve act secondary school girl? It seems you people don't even watch nollywood films again sef. U just dey say your own. I'm just asking ni o

Do an ordinary know omotola in nigeria??yes

Do an ordinary know beyonce in her country??yes

Do an ordinary know nse-nkpe etim in nigeria??noo

D american dude dat does not know tonto does he/she know nse??no

Why is nse-nkpe etim not known by an ordinary in her country??
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by fubbyy(m): 10:21pm On Mar 21, 2013
Fussbot:

OMG.. Thank you for saving me from too much narration, you just did a good job, thanks once again
Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 21, 2013
Fussbot:

Who says an ordinary do not know nse etim? Guy quit it.
Check her Facebook fans or twitter.
Now away from this.
Being a celebrity is subjective.
Beyonce can be said to be a celebrity across the world as she's well known globally.
Tonto Dike cannot be called this as she's limited to africa. At the same time you can't say she's not a celeb. You can only call her an african/nigerian celeb.
Nse, Joseph Benjamin etc are already successful at what they do. They are the faces every responsible film maker wanna use in his/her movie. And you are telling me they are not celebs? They are celebs in the area they are limited to. They are the ones who get the awards, they are the ones who walk on red carpets...they are the ones blogsites wanna publish thé outfit they wore to events, they are the ones I'll wanna get an autograph when I jam them while I'll see mercy Johnson as a normal girl. I agree damilola adegbite, gbenro, osas are still upcoming celebrities, But we have established screen divas and divos (likes of Nse, Omoni Oboli, Joseph, O.c. Ukeje, Fabian Adeoye Lojede etc------note how I can remember their names) and guess what? When Dammy and the rest become established, you won't know as well Cos you are trapped in ur village movies for life!
You should blame your country for being very backward that they can't have cinemas in all 36 states. Africans know these people as celebs...but nigerians like you said they are not celebs for whatever reasons. Yet their movies get premiered across the globe. Na una sabi.....if you say they are not, I agree if you don't agree to mine.

But always have at the back of your mind that these kinda topics are subjective.

I keep coming back to this thread Cos you are quoting me. Please don't quote me when you wanna reply next!

1 Like

Re: Africa Needs New Younger Celebrities!!! by fubbyy(m): 11:19pm On Mar 21, 2013
speedyboi:
Who says an ordinary do not know nse etim? Guy quit it.
Check her Facebook fans or twitter.
Now away from this.
Being a celebrity is subjective.
Beyonce can be said to be a celebrity across the world as she's well known globally.
Tonto Dike cannot be called this as she's limited to africa. At the same time you can't say she's not a celeb. You can only call her an african/nigerian celeb.
Nse, Joseph Benjamin etc are already successful at what they do. They are the faces every responsible film maker wanna use in his/her movie. And you are telling me they are not celebs? They are celebs in the area they are limited to. They are the ones who get the awards, they are the ones who walk on red carpets...they are the ones blogsites wanna publish thé outfit they wore to events, they are the ones I'll wanna get an autograph when I jam them while I'll see mercy Johnson as a normal girl. I agree damilola adegbite, gbenro, osas are still upcoming celebrities, But we have established screen divas and divos (likes of Nse, Omoni Oboli, Joseph, O.c. Ukeje, Fabian Adeoye Lojede etc------note how I can remember their names) and guess what? When Dammy and the rest become established, you won't know as well Cos you are trapped in ur village movies for life!
You should blame your country for being very backward that they can't have cinemas in all 36 states. Africans know these people as celebs...but nigerians like you said they are not celebs for whatever reasons. Yet their movies get premiered across the globe. Na una sabi.....if you say they are not, I agree if you don't agree to mine.

But always have at the back of your mind that these kinda topics are subjective.

I keep coming back to this thread Cos you are quoting me. Please don't quote me when you wanna reply next!
I taught I was arguing with som1 who knows what celebrity is all about

Let me unfollow this thread sharp sharp

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Still Remember This Little Star Boy?....(photos) / David Beckham Is The 'Ebuka' Of Prince Harry #RoyalWedding (photos) / Leaked Sex Tape Of Tems With Drake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.