Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,703 members, 7,827,570 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told (18373 Views)

"How Large Was Noah's Ark?" / Noah's Ark Remnants Found In Turkey - Fox News / Real Reasons Titanic Sank And Noah's Ark Sailed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by simmy(m): 9:43am On Jun 05, 2008
OMG!!!
here come the rationalists in all their 'look at me im rational'glory. sure the noah story doesnt sound rational! but its just stupid to criticse a book that tells such a story when just a few pages later, the same book tells us of unspeakable 'miracles'!!!
splitting of the red sea
variuos egyptian plagues
fire falling from heaven and destroying two cities
a lady turnied to salt!!!!

Now when a book unblinkingly tells you stories such as these, dont you think your trying to rationalise the flood story is the height of stupidity??

the bible is not a rational book!! all atheists and agnostics and doubters and rationalists should learn once and for all. its a religious book. thats why some things are called miracles or supernatural.

Man! a book tells me someone came from heaven died for me and woke up in three days so that i would not go to a place where i would be totured forever and you re rationalising a story the same book tells about a flood
the bible talks about out of the world things, u either believe it or you dont! if the bible was rational i wouldnt have to believe what it says! u dont need to believe logic, but u have to believe something that defies logic!
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Nobody: 10:57am On Jun 05, 2008
simmy:

OMG!!!
here come the rationalists in all their 'look at me im rational'glory. sure the noah story doesnt sound rational! but its just stupid to criticse a book that tells such a story when just a few pages later, the same book tells us of unspeakable 'miracles'!!!
splitting of the red sea
variuos egyptian plagues

Now when a book unblinkingly tells you stories such as these, don't you think your trying to rationalise the flood story is the height of stupidity??

the bible is not a rational book!! all atheists and agnostics and doubters and rationalists should learn once and for all. its a religious book. thats why some things are called miracles or supernatural.

Man! a book tells me someone came from heaven died for me and woke up in three days so that i would not go to a place where i would be totured forever and you re rationalising a story the same book tells about a flood
the bible talks about out of the world things, u either believe it or you don't! if the bible was rational i wouldnt have to believe what it says! u don't need to believe logic, but u have to believe something that defies logic!
Did you steal those words form my mouth??

Anyway, Sun God is just desperately seeking for attention; I wonder why people want to oblige him.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by KAG: 11:51am On Jun 05, 2008
simmy:

OMG!!!
splitting of the red sea
variuos egyptian plagues

It's got nothing on the Eddas, which is how I know Thor is real. Hail Thor.

Now when a book unblinkingly tells you stories such as these, don't you think your trying to rationalise the flood story is the height of stupidity??

No, actually, believing the stories wholesale is the height of stupidity. In any case, if the adherents of the book keep alluding to the factual nature of such stories, then it is only prudent that one, if possible, make inroads to check if the stories are factual.

the bible talks about out of the world things, u either believe it or you don't! if the bible was rational i wouldnt have to believe what it says! u don't need to believe logic, but u have to believe something that defies logic!

Inane illogic. Anyway, maybe you should send your M.O to the likes of AiG, no?
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 05, 2008
KAG:

Inane illogic. Anyway, maybe you should send your M.O to the likes of AiG, no?

Did you miss the point he was trying to make? There’s nothing ‘logical’ about the bible. We Christians have never claimed that. Why is that so difficult for you to understand Mr. Logic?? Or you logical sense doesn’t take you THAT far.

We believe in the mystery of the bible, we are not forcing you to join us in our beleif; you guys should just get a life and stop being obessed with christianity.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by KAG: 1:36pm On Jun 05, 2008
Ujujoan:

Did you miss the point he was trying to make?

No, I didn't. That's why I said his argument was inanely illogical.

There’s nothing ‘logical’ about the bible. We Christians have never claimed that. Why is that so difficult for you to understand Mr. Logic?? Or you logical sense doesn’t take you THAT far.

Absolute nonsense. There are several attempts to grapple and reach for logic in the Bible - to say otherwise is to be ignorant of the Bible. Also, of course Christians have claimed logic for the Bible. Creationists, the Church fathers in the shape of giants of philolosophy like Aquinas and Augustine, etc. All aspire(d) to finding logic within the Bible.

We believe in the mystery of the bible, we are not forcing you to join us in our beleif; you guys should just get a life and stop being obessed with christianity.

Belief in the mystery of the Bible? Coupled with the Bible is illogical, etc. I like the paradox that is emerging from your arguments.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by simmy(m): 4:35pm On Jun 05, 2008
@ kag
u just dont get it do u? grin
for sm1 who s so smart i thot it was obvious
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 05, 2008
KAG:

No, I didn't. That's why I said his argument was inanely illogical.

You obviously did, so let me spell it out to you. He wasnt trying to be 'logical' cos a true christian believs in working by faith and not by sight.

KAG:

Absolute nonsense. There are several attempts to grapple and reach for logic in the Bible - to say otherwise is to be ignorant of the Bible. Also, of course Christians have claimed logic for the Bible. Creationists, the Church fathers in the shape of giants of philolosophy like Aquinas and Augustine, etc. All aspire(d) to finding logic within the Bible.

Are we refeering to the same book??

KAG:

Belief in the mystery of the Bible? Coupled with the Bible is illogical, etc. I like the paradox that is emerging from your arguments.

Do you not know the meaning of the word 'mystery' or are you just being unnecessarily argumentative??.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by KAG: 10:28pm On Jun 05, 2008
simmy:

@ kag
u just don't get it do u? grin
for sm1 who s so smart i thot it was obvious

Or maybe I do get it. *shrugs*

Ujujoan:

You obviously did, so let me spell it out to you. He wasnt trying to be 'logical' because a true christian believs in working by faith and not by sight.

Lol. Let's see if I can sum up your argument on his behalf: the Bible is entirely illogical; simmy, being a true Christian (TM), is also illogical; and the argument he raised where he asserts that the Bible is illogical is also illogical. That about right? I'm guessing you aren't trying to be logical either, being a true Christian (TM) and all that.

In short, summed up aptly in my earlier post: inanely illogical.

Are we refeering to the same book??

Yes, have you read it? Have you heard of the likes of Aquinas and Augustine? What about Creationists (capital "C"wink?

Do you not know the meaning of the word 'mystery' or are you just being unnecessarily argumentative??.

Yes, I know the meaning of the word "mystery". It's not the meaning of the word that presents a seemng paradox in your arguments/positions.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jun 06, 2008
KAG, I was right, the word logic's new you. Thats why you can't help sounding like a parrot about it!!! Neway, I've had it in my dictionary for sometime now, so I'l take a rain check on the offer.

But just remember, all these doctrines you are trying to figure out is way beyond your comprehension. Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread!!!
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by KAG: 5:31pm On Jun 06, 2008
Ujujoan:

KAG, I was right, the word logic's new you.

Unfortunately, you on the other hand, don't know the meaning of the word.

Thats why you can't help sounding like a parrot about it!!! Neway, I've had it in my dictionary for sometime now, so I'l take a rain check on the offer.

Rain check on what offer? Anyway, this would be a good time to open that dictionary and understand what logic means. Good luck.

But just remember, all these doctrines you are trying to figure out is way beyond your comprehension. Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread!!!

Hmm, considering we both (metaphorically speaking) have entered and stayed in this thread, doesn't that make you a fool too? Afterall, this isthe only probable "in" to which the person you referred "rushed". See why logic helps?

P.S. Try to read your Bible sometime. It helps in discussions of this kind, too.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 06, 2008
KAG:

Unfortunately, you on the other hand, don't know the meaning of the word.

Rain check on what offer? Anyway, this would be a good time to open that dictionary and understand what logic means. Good luck.

Hmm, considering we both (metaphorically speaking) have entered and stayed in this thread, doesn't that make you a fool too? Afterall, this isthe only probable "in" to which the person you referred "rushed". See why logic helps?

P.S. Try to read your Bible sometime. It helps in discussions of this kind, too.

Sounds like a tale, told by fools, full of sound and furry, signifying nothing!!
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by KAG: 5:57pm On Jun 06, 2008
Ujujoan:

Sounds like a tale, told by fools, full of sound and furry, signifying nothing!!

All I saw was furry

Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jun 06, 2008
Wow, Nice pix. Can I spot you in the red Mickey Mouse Outfit?? grin
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by KAG: 9:24pm On Jun 06, 2008
Ujujoan:

Wow, Nice pix. Can I spot you in the red Mickey Mouse Outfit?? grin

Oh yes. there ain't no party like the furries party tongue
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by mazaje(m): 1:14am On Jun 07, 2008
This story does not make sense at all but the christains apologist will always rise to the defense of the bible, there are no polar bears in the middle east are there? what about kangaros, dolphins, seals, koalas, tigers and so many other animals that are not found in the middle east? why is there no mention of China and India the highest populated countries in the world in the bible, even though there were existing at that time? why is isreal the only country god chose in the bible? why didnt he choose india which was existing at that time. The only reason is that the people did not know any thing about China and India at that time else why would god not include the most populated countries on earth in his book even though the were existing at that time? that doesnt make sense, does god of the bible have no plans for the people of china and india? if god created every body on earth as the bible claims why does he have no plans for the people living in china, india and the america's in the bible?why didnt jesus revel him self to them? the bible is just a fable filled with idea of the 1st centuary same with the Ko'ran which is another fable all were copied from the torah and all are about protecting a particular group of people in the bible its the jews,in the ko'ran its the arabs, in budahism its the people living in china and the whole wahala continues.

All religions are created out of the fear of the many and the cleverness of a few.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by simmy(m): 6:48pm On Jun 07, 2008
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by stnonymus(m): 7:39am On Jun 08, 2008
Can any truth be more unbelievable than Jesus' Resurrection.Yet it is true.Like the Psalmist said," I do not concern myself with matters too wonderful for me".You could lose nights of sleep trying to figure out lots of stuff in the Bible.So my advice is that you concern yourself more with your faith in the Integrity of Jesus cos thats what will save you in the time of need or Danger!
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by KAG: 5:09pm On Jun 09, 2008
st_nonymus:

Can any truth be more unbelievable than Jesus' Resurrection.Yet it is true.

Why is it true?

Like the Psalmist said," I do not concern myself with matters too wonderful for me".

I concern myself with matters that may be considered too wonderful.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by JayFK(m): 8:52pm On Jun 09, 2008
lol this thread.

yo Kag where're you from?
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jun 09, 2008
Quotable quotes by G.K Chesterton

1) "The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man."

2) "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried."

3) "It has been often said, very truly, that religion is the thing that makes the ordinary man feel extraordinary; it is an equally important truth that religion is the thing that makes the extraordinary man feel ordinary." - Charles Dickens
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by stnonymus(m): 5:32am On Jun 12, 2008
KAG:

Why is it true?

I concern myself with matters that may be considered too wonderful.

Don't get me wrong KAG.You have a right to question whatever you read in the Bible.Its only through such questions that one finally arrives at a solid conviction.You just cant swallow things thrown at you.You've got to be sure you really believe them.

As for why the story is true,i don't know.Cant prove it,neither can i prove the reality of God or Jesus.Since i came to know God and his integrity,i believe the bible,even those parts that seem absurd.Whether i can prove the validity of that event or not is irrelevant to me.I don't see how that piece of information would make a difference in my life.

But if you still require answers ask God.And if God is real He will tell you whether or not the story is true.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by KAG: 11:14pm On Jun 12, 2008
JayFK:

lol this thread.

yo Kag where're you from?

Nigeria

st_nonymus:

Don't get me wrong KAG.You have a right to question whatever you read in the Bible.Its only through such questions that one finally arrives at a solid conviction.You just can't swallow things thrown at you.You've got to be sure you really believe them.

As for why the story is true,i don't know.Cant prove it,neither can i prove the reality of God or Jesus.Since i came to know God and his integrity,i believe the bible,even those parts that seem absurd.Whether i can prove the validity of that event or not is irrelevant to me.I don't see how that piece of information would make a difference in my life.

But if you still require answers ask God.And if God is real He will tell you whether or not the story is true.

That's fair enough. No gods have answered yet, though.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by winnteam(m): 1:02pm On Jun 14, 2008
@SUNGOD

You wallow in your intelectual ability. Life is not all about big grammar and intellectual exercise.

How revealing it will be on the day we die.

If indeed heaven and hell are real we shall know.
If indeed there is a God(i believe) we shall know.

My advice:
Let us all strive to life right.

How will it feel to die and find out all these things are true?
And you did every contrary thing.

If it turns out all these things are a lie and I did my best to live right I have lost nothing. But, I have lost all if I do wrong all through life and find out there is a God to judge and a heaven and hell.

[size=14pt]WHAT IS DEMANDED IS NOT CONVENIENT
WHAT IS CONVENIENT IS NOT DEMANDED.
[/size]
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by winnteam(m): 1:23pm On Jun 14, 2008
Isaiah 5: 21 says
Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

However if you truly desire to know the truth, ask God in prayers, and i'm telling you that situations will unfold that will make you see the truth as it is.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by SunGod1: 11:00pm On Jun 14, 2008
@winnteam

You wallow in your intelectual ability.

Thank you for that compliment. Athiests are known to be very intellectual in their reasoning hence logic plays a major role in our lives and we put delirium and irrationality behind us just like the bible grin

Life is not all about big grammar and intellectual exercise.

Well the richest people in the planet are the most intellectual financial geniuses you can meet anywhere so your reasoning here is kinda flawed!

How revealing it will be on the day we die.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the truth is when you die, you die and nothing more. No winged angels with halos carrying you to a white clouded mansion called heaven and no red horned, trident carrying monster pouring fuel or hot coal on the ground for you to burn in eternity, lol grin, besides have you ever thought of the fact that fire can only burn matter and something physical or tangible? So how would a lifeless spirit or thing or soul or whatever rubbish christians call it burn and to make matters worse for eternity? undecided

As long as your senses are not functioning to feel or touch, you cant suffer any kind of reactions. So please grow up and stop falling for all these mordern day doom sayers who cant even rationalise what they are saying!

If indeed heaven and hell are real we shall know.

1.You cant know because it isnt there in the first place.

2. Also have you thought of the fact that bacterias make up the biological features of man for him to survive because without some of these bacterias, man would cease to exist. So therefore, if there is going to be a heaven, be ready to see heaven filled with bacterias, snakes, rats, cockroaches, fleas and all sorts of irritating animals and parasites here on earth except your going to tell me that its only man that would be there devoid of all the other creations "god has alledgely made"? Or maybe those snakes would be smiling snakes and the cockroaches would be honey spewing roaches, haaaaaaaaaaa! I still cant imagine how millions of people could be so blind to this mordern day fairy tales!

If indeed there is a God(i believe) we shall know.

Actually i am curious to know this too. Because since the bible says man was made in gods image, then god must definately shit, fuc***k, piss, mess, grow hairs under his armpit and pubic area (Thats if he even has a dic***K), lol. I will like to know what colour he is, white, black, chinese, asian, south american or a plain ol' alien from star wars. I would love to know whether he still wears a loin or girdle and still prefers to wear old jerusalem sandals or maybe he has upgraded to patrick cox shoes and calvin klien boxers grin

Does he wear jeans too or wears bling bling too like tupac, grin. when he takes a shit, does he use a toilet or pit latrine?

Even as christians say he sees everything, dont you think, he would have strained his eyes trying to keep tabs on over 6 billion people and he would probably be changing his glasses every century or so? Who designs his glasses, fendi, valentino, versace

Also i would like to know whether he is gay or straight. So far so good, christians tend not to make god a gender loving person by not ascribing him to any woman as a wife or his queen, hmmm, me thinks he is gay. He hardly has anything to do with women and doesnt give them a serious role to play in the bible. But Men take the centre stage in all his dealings or maybe the holy spirit is his lover, really i dont know as you rightly said and i would love to know the answers to these questions.

Or dont i have the right again to ask questions that bother me too! grin

My advice:
Let us all strive to life right.

How will it feel to die and find out all these things are true?
And you did every contrary thing.

True? Contrary?

Follow a god that promotes wars, kills people and innocent babies, encouraged slavery, maschoism, thuggery, incest, originated jealousy, please, anything to be far away from such a monster would be my life achievement and i would do every thing contrary to what "god" is and if it is true he exists, then he should be tried as a war criminal for all the genocide and destruction he has caused!

If it turns out all these things are a lie and I did my best to live right I have lost nothing. But, I have lost all if I do wrong all through life and find out there is a God to judge and a heaven and hell

A lie is a lie and stop consoling yourself. You have not lived right by endorsing such a bullshitty book and practicing what it preaches. You conviently chose parts of the book to lay allusions to a faithful life but you refuse to read the book in all totality and understand the rationality behind the wordings that are nonsensical to say the least.

Honestly if you really want to engage me in a debate for me to show you how extremely false the bible is, i would and take you on historical journey to contradict everything in the bible to show it is a false book written at best by illiterate afghanistan cattle rearers!
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by IDINRETE: 9:31pm On Jun 15, 2008
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by winnteam(m): 9:50pm On Jun 15, 2008
[size=16pt]"Anyway, Sun God is just desperately seeking for attention; I wonder why people want to oblige him."[/size]

If we all stop paying attention to this thread the attention seeking sungod and his followers will have nothing left to do.

[size=18pt]SILENCE IS GOLDEN.[/size]
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by EshuKemi: 12:54am On Mar 13, 2009
What a wonderful thread grin

In fact the best thread in the whole nairaland religion section. I have read all the posts and replies and not one christian can profer any rational argument to support the fact that the noah's ark exists rather they engage in dribbles trying to beat around the bush and not convincing anyone that noah's ark really existed.

This bible sha undecided I dont know which one is more fiction ladened. The bible or Harry Potter and the scorcers stone grin

P:S; SUN GOD where ever you are; you are truely a god for decimating these christians into shreds cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by mantraa: 8:35am On Mar 14, 2009
I know how Noah might have built the ark and kept 2 of each animal alive until the flood ended and will inform all you non believers now of how it was done.

1. God helped him by suspending the laws of physics, nature and science so that the boat could withstand the immense pressures and forces placed upon it.

2. God used his angels to fly to all the furthest parts of the world and carry all of the animals to the ark location when it was ready, including the dinosaurs.

3. God shrank all the animals in size so they would all neatly fit in the ark.

4. God put all the animals in hibernation or suspended animation for the duration of their time in the ark so they didnt need food or water.

5. God then got his angels to replant all the vegetation around the world with extra fast growing seeds and fly all the animals back to their original locations when the  flood was over.

This is the best possible logical/illogical or rational/irrational explanation of how it was done. 

But is it possible or impossible?
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Badriyyah(f): 10:44am On Mar 14, 2009
shocked shocked, Why do people keep using the "Bible" as evidence?? undecided
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Knight1(m): 1:45pm On Mar 14, 2009
1. One of the things you have to consider is the fact that Noah had at least 100 years to build. Note that the flood came when he was 600. With 100years in my hands, I think I can build that kind of structure.
2. Note also that he used cypress trees which grows to at least 27m and up to 46m (check Encarta), and is so resinous that it doesn’t rot even after prolonged submersion in water and its circumference is up to 3m. Check Encarta for all these facts. These trees are used to build boats actually.
3. To the issue of containing the weight of the animals, I’ll like to use the analogy of a plastic bowl. If you put a very heavy metal in a plastic bowl (one that will naturally sink), by reason of the density of the bowl and the wide base, it will not sink. That means I can lay the base with so much of cypress logs that will form the part submerged in the boat.
4. The boat didn’t need to be entirely airtight. Same reason as the fact that you can run under a tree for shelter during the rain. So he could have used twine to construct it.
I think if you are ready to see things objectively, then you should see reason if not, feel free to ask on issues you are not clear about. Thanks.
Re: The Story Of Noah's Ark Is The Most Unbelievable Biblical Story Ever Told by Bastage: 4:36pm On Mar 14, 2009
The Old Testament was compiled whilst the Hebrews were in exile in Babylon.
They had access to all of the old Babylonian myths and quite often inserted them into the Bible after giving them a moral twist.

The story of Noah is no exception. It is almost a direct lift of the Babylonian myth - The Epic of Gilgamesh (which in turn was based on the Atrahasis Epic).

http://www.religioustolerance.org/noah_com.htm

It is a story about morality. Only an idiot would take it literally.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pope Francis Has Changed My View Of Homosexuals / Wearing Rings On The Toes To Church / Revealed Christians Started Ogboni In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.