Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,215 members, 7,867,541 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 06:04 PM

Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq (3083 Views)

Muiz Banire, 20 Others Bag SAN Rank (PHOTO) / I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa / Nigerian, Others, Extradited From Liberia To U.S On Cocaine Conspiracy Charges! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by Kobojunkie: 10:34pm On Mar 25, 2008
Are you looking at the same data here

Summary Measures of the Educational Attainment of the Population, Ages 25 and Over: March 1999

Race and Origin:------------------Number of People----------High School %--------------Some College% --------- Bachelor’s and more%
(in Thousands)
Non-Hispanic Total -------------- 157,329-----------------------------85.0---------------------------52.2---------------------------26.7
Non-Hispanic White --------------- 130,411 ---------------------------87.7 -------------------- -----53.4-------------------------- 27.7
Non-Hispanic Black ---------------- 19,261 ----------------------------77.4 --------------------------41.4 --------------------------15.5
Non-Hispanic Asian and
Pacific Islander ---------------------- 6,467-------------------------------84.7----------------------------- 62.3----------------------- 42.4

Hispanic ------------------------------- 16,425 ----------------------------56.1 -----------------------------29.2------------------------- 10.9
White ----------------------------------- 146,080--------------------------- 84.3 -----------------------------50.8 --------------------------25.9
Black ------------------------------------ 19,732 ---------------------------77.0 ------------------------------41.3 -------------------------15.4
Nativity:
Native ------------------------------- 152,560 -----------------------------85.9 -------------------------------51.3 -------------------------25.2
Foreign born ----------------------- 21,193 ----------------------------65.7 -------------------------------41.3 -------------------------25.4
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 25, 2008
@ topic
My condolences go out to Justin Onwordi's family.
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by bawomolo(m): 10:42pm On Mar 25, 2008
we are, asians have the highest from the census but notice how foreign born blacks are either lumped up with other blacks or other foreign borns. there's no conflict between the journal and the census stats since the journal uses stats from the census itself.
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by Kobojunkie: 10:45pm On Mar 25, 2008
If the journal is using stats from the us census, then we should be able to view that data that contains information separating the africans from the other blacks, right?? I have checked all of the census information I have been able to and so far, I am yet to obtain such information. That is why I asked for the source of the information earlier. I don't agree with that article, by the way cause another post in the NY times placed iranians on the highest educated list, I was not also able to find details on that either.
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by adconline(m): 6:49am On Mar 26, 2008
Kobojunkie,
You sound  a little bit hawkish. Are you saying that Census figures dispute  the Journal even when African Immigrants were treated as foreign borns or blacks? You know too well that  you are considered as black or African American in the US, so this journal  took Africans as a group.  Argument has to be inductive, deductive or absurd and I think that yours leans toward absurdity given the fact that you have not provided a contrary evidence. I did not see Africans as  a group in those Census figures.

Maybe you would also like   the chart that says that African immigrants trail Asians in income and detest the one that shows that they are most educated since they  all are from Census.

Check this CNN Transcript.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0605/21/cp.02.html

[b]GRIFFIN: Nigerian independence day in Houston.

Members of a local organization, the Nigerian Union, are celebrating not only 45 years of freedom from British Colonial rule, but also their new lives in the U.S.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It is a place where you can come and put in honest work and progress.

GRIFFIN: Houston has one of the nation's largest Nigerian communities. At least 60,000 by some estimates, and well educated. More than two-thirds are college graduates, a higher rate than their white neighbors. Among the elite, a vascular surgeon, two married professors, a chemical engineer, and Airline Pilot Isaac Agmonyaka (ph).
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by Kobojunkie: 7:03am On Mar 26, 2008
adconline:

Kobojunkie,
You sound a little bit hawkish. Are you saying that Census figures dispute the Journal even when African Immigrants were treated as foreign borns or blacks? You know too well that you are considered as black or African American in the US, so this journal took Africans as a group. Argument has to be inductive, deductive or absurd and I think that yours leans toward absurdity given the fact that you have not provided a contrary evidence. I did not see Africans as a group in those Census figures.

Maybe you would also like the chart that says that African immigrants trail Asians in income and detest the one that shows that they are most educated since they all are from Census.

Check this CNN Transcript.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0605/21/cp.02.html

[b]GRIFFIN: Nigerian independence day in Houston.

Members of a local organization, the Nigerian Union, are celebrating not only 45 years of freedom from British Colonial rule, but also their new lives in the US.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It is a place where you can come and put in honest work and progress.

GRIFFIN: Houston has one of the nation's largest Nigerian communities. At least 60,000 by some estimates, and well educated. More than two-thirds are college graduates, a higher rate than their white neighbors. Among the elite, a vascular surgeon, two married professors, a chemical engineer, and Airline Pilot Isaac Agmonyaka (ph).

What exactly is the point you are trying to make here?? Is Houston the whole of America?? The census data from which the journal claims to get it's data from does not in any way indicate that Africans are the highest educated at all. It only shows the education among the black race and then other races. Instead of providing some document to show this, you go ahead and post an article about Nigerians in houston for what ??
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by adconline(m): 9:22pm On Mar 27, 2008
Then blacks are not only African immigrants. You should provide a contrary evidence to prove otherwise, the burden of proof is on you. Arguments are not won by “I don’t believe in that". Also you failed to cite New York Times to support your argument. Provide a scholarly journal to counter this study. By the way, journals are peer reviewed and mostly don’t cite newspapers as their sources. Census figures that are the basis of your argument   have not considered African immigrants as a group, so what this study   did was to extract African immigrants from foreign borns and blacks and treat them as a group and matched them up with various ethnic groups in the US. 

Also about CNN article, Houston has the nation’s largest Nigerian communities, so that gives an insight of educational attainment of African immigrants since Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and has the largest number of African immigrants in the US. Research Polls are not always conducted by polling everybody.

Time to argue wisely.  We are all here to learn in one way the other. This journal is very insightful, until you provide a contrary journal.  Good luck
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by Kobojunkie: 9:29pm On Mar 27, 2008
adconline:

Then blacks are not only African immigrants. You should provide a contrary evidence to prove otherwise, the burden of proof is on you. Arguments are not won by “I don’t believe in that". Also you failed to cite New York Times to support your argument. Provide a scholarly journal to counter this study. By the way, journals are peer reviewed and mostly don’t cite newspapers as their sources. Census figures that are the basis of your argument   have not considered African immigrants as a group, so what this study   did was to extract African immigrants from foreign borns and blacks and treat them as a group and matched them up with various ethnic groups in the US. 

Also about CNN article, Houston has the nation’s largest Nigerian communities, so that gives an insight of educational attainment of African immigrants since Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and has the largest number of African immigrants in the US. Research Polls are not always conducted by polling everybody.

Time to argue wisely.  We are all here to learn in one way the other. This journal is very insightful, until you provide a contrary journal.  Good luck

If your idea is that I believe the article cause it is published in a journal then you are seriously mistaken. Burden of proof is not on the person who disputes the claim made but on the person who made the claim.

According to the US census numbers which the article claims to have gotten it's information from, there is no data indicating that the contents of the article are actually as it is written. Hence the reason why I requested that more information be provided or links to the numbers used to reach such a conclusion be provided. If you look at the links I posted to census numbers from back in 1999 to 2005( I believe), there no data actually pointing to Africans as they are bundled up as blacks. Over and over, the data shows that blacks come up short compared to other groups in the country. If you can provide data that actually gives detailed comparison between actual Africans (not blacks) and blacks ( African Americans) and then goes further to compare the education level of Africans to that of the other groups, then you may have a debate but till then, from what I have read and seen, I refuse to accept what is being told me at face value, I prefer to be provided more information for me to analyze and draw my own conclusion.

I pointed out that there are many articles out there that say something different from what the journal article says and I did that to have him understand that it is not just about providing articles but articles that come with supporting information that can be verified.
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by almondjoy(f): 10:36pm On Mar 27, 2008

Afam (m)
Lagos, Nigeria

Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq
« #11 on: March 25, 2008, 03:38 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course it will be alright in the end after[b] hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children must have been sent to their early graves based on the lies of the US president.[/b]

Nigeria? Liberia and Sierra Leone.

Please those soldiers that died for Sierra Leone and Liberia. . . did the Nigerian government give their families a "green" card, since they are from Chad? tongue  Not even a bag of cassava!

Thousands and thousands of Nigerian die from waging wars with mosquitos or dodging potholes in pitch darkness while driving at 7pm in Nigeria.  Only because as part of the provervial "Dark Continent, you often cannot differentiante between the sky and the earth at 8pm!  You can't even touch your nose in the pitch blackness of the evil void!  I think I would rather die in Iraq than fight against mosquitos and potholes without anyone recognizing that I am gone in Nigeria.

These people that die in Nigeria on a daily basis with higher casualties of self inflicted war. . . are they guilty food for the gods? undecided  As a result of the constant 419 and lies the Nigerian government tell on a daily basis!

You can't be serous.  Yes, George Bush lied. . . .but those are saintly lies compared to those the gods of corruption spew forth every minute in Nigeria.  Those once have never told the truth in their lives. . .and you are blaming George Bush? In Nigeria, you are not at war. . .but a country at war looks far better. Go figure!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Afam (m)
Lagos, Nigeria

« #13 on: March 25, 2008, 03:51 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unadulterated hypocrisy at play.

One on hand someone complains about terrorism and on the other categorically states that wars are necessary. Is someone losing it here or what?

Source please!

Blatant

« #15 on: March 25, 2008, 05:06 PM » 

It's a shame that it has come to this.

Nigerians dying for other countries but they will not consider dying for Nigeria because Nigeria is clearly not worth dying for.

When will we begin to take affirmative action with regards to these things?

In another lifetime! kiss
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by Nobody: 10:59pm On Mar 27, 2008
adding insult to our ulcerated sore, the defense secretary made some caustic remarks that i think insulting to our reputation as a nation.he implied that its better to die fighting to gain american citizenship than to bearour nationality.what a pity.
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by almondjoy(f): 11:10pm On Mar 27, 2008
The truth is very bitter especially if it is stale news!

Like Bruce Willis commented in the movie  "Tears Under The Sun". . . . ."God left Africa a long time ago"!

Everyday. . . it becomes part of our spirituality. . . the forgotten continent!

Ulcerated sore? You mean a gangrenous sore necessitating quadriplegic amputation before the dissemination spreads to the soul! kiss
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by Nobody: 11:45pm On Mar 27, 2008
the much i know, political septiceamia of that nature and from the pathological origin of the US would be largely incurable.Lord help our sickling state.
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by bawomolo(m): 12:14am On Mar 28, 2008
damn almondjoy, u seem a bit bitter about ur experiences in nigeria
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by TheSly: 12:45am On Mar 28, 2008
What a shame!! embarassed
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by almondjoy(f): 7:17am On Mar 28, 2008
bawomolo:

damn almondjoy, u seem a bit bitter about your experiences in nigeria

What is there to be happy about Nigeria? You may take solace in the "suffering and smiling" religion. I do not deceive ma self. The only good memories I have in Nigeria are those of my childhood. The moment I became an adult like 21. . . I knew instantly I had been living a bloody dream. When I finished my N.Y.S.C., I was definitely convinced I was born in the wrong place. Amongst people that will never appreciate anything associated with progress. . . .cursed! I refuse to be part of such. kiss
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by chidichris(m): 7:47am On Mar 28, 2008
i don't see anything to argue about here.
i am of the school of thought that says nigeria is not worth dying and i have strong challange for those of you who believe that nigeria is worth dying for.
i am saying is loud here that you are all trying to mislead and decieve others and if you say is not true then tell me who among you that is ready to leave by example.
how many of you have died before for nigeria? how many are ready to die now?
let us lead by example as it must not be only talking.
one of you shld die and die nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww so that we will know that you are a serious group.
the man in usa will definitely die a fulfilled man at least for dying for what he believed and leading by example.
one of you can choose to die a hero and get his own honour from nigeria - this is a time for people to declare what they believe on and action they say speaks louder than words. enough of this dying and living for usa.
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by adconline(m): 5:25pm On Mar 28, 2008
If your idea is that I believe the article cause it is published in a journal then you are seriously mistaken. Burden of proof is not on the person who disputes the claim made but on the person who made the claim.   I am mistaken only when there is a benchmark for comparison. Blacks and Foreign borns are not only Africans. I would think someone other than you made this claim and you demanded to see a proof, then the poster directed us to this study and you are still disputing it without a contrary study or statistics that would take Africans into consideration as a group.

According to the US census numbers which the article claims to have gotten it's information from, there is no data indicating that the contents of the article are actually as it is written. Hence the reason why I requested that more information be provided or links to the numbers used to reach such a conclusion be provided. If you look at the links I posted to census numbers from back in 1999 to 2005( I believe), there no data actually pointing to Africans as they are bundled up as blacks. Over and over, the data shows that blacks come up short compared to other groups in the country.

It seems from my small way of thinking that US Census Bureau DOES not have statistic of African Immigrants in the US? If this is the basis of your argument, then I don’t think that's correct because as a matter of fact, Census Bureau does keep track of Nigerian immigrants let alone of African immigrants. Since most Africans are blacks, they are always lumped into African Americans or Blacks = Minority.  This does not mean that scholars cannot run African immigrant figures with the rest of other groups. If the study is flawed as you claim, it cannot be discredited on the basis that there is no contrary study, but be proven false by a well researched study that will also extract and match up African immigrant figures with other groups.

I pointed out that there are many articles out there that say something different from what the journal article says and I did that to have him understand that it is not just about providing articles but articles that come with supporting information that can be verified

That's why I have insisted that you provide these claims in order to counter this journal.  I also highlighted a CNN article on Nigeria which seems to concur with that study. The veracity of this study can be only be ascertained by other studies or journals that would employ the same statistics from Census and methodology. A comparison is based on two or more known conditions.
Re: Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq by Kobojunkie: 5:37pm On Mar 28, 2008
adconline:

If your idea is that I believe the article cause it is published in a journal then you are seriously mistaken. Burden of proof is not on the person who disputes the claim made but on the person who made the claim. I am mistaken only when there is a benchmark for comparison. Blacks and Foreign borns are not only Africans. I would think someone other than you made this claim and you demanded to see a proof, then the poster directed us to this study and you are still disputing it without a contrary study or statistics that would take Africans into consideration as a group.

Foreign Born people include Canadians, English, French (France), Mexicans, Arabians and Europians of all kinds etc; a foreign born black can be from even countries outside of Africa.

According to the US census numbers which the article claims to have gotten it's information from, there is no data indicating that the contents of the article are actually as it is written. Hence the reason why I requested that more information be provided or links to the numbers used to reach such a conclusion be provided. If you look at the links I posted to census numbers from back in 1999 to 2005( I believe), there no data actually pointing to Africans as they are bundled up as blacks. Over and over, the data shows that blacks come up short compared to other groups in the country.

It seems from my small way of thinking that US Census Bureau DOES not have statistic of African Immigrants in the US? If this is the basis of your argument, then I don’t think that's correct because as a matter of fact, Census Bureau does keep track of Nigerian immigrants let alone of African immigrants. Since most Africans are blacks, they are always lumped into African Americans or Blacks = Minority. This does not mean that scholars cannot run African immigrant figures with the rest of other groups. If the study is flawed as you claim, it cannot be discredited on the basis that there is no contrary study, but be proven false by a well researched study that will also extract and match up African immigrant figures with other groups.

Again my side has been that all I see on the census site is information that is vague considering what the article claims and I would appreciate it if the journal would have at least linked us directly to data on Africans collected by the Census Bureau. As that information is yet to be provided, I can only say that considering the information available on the Census site, it is likely it may not be correct which is valid considering nothing is made available on Africans. Mind you, not all people who are black are either Africans or African Americans. There are European Blacks as well.

I never claimed the study is flawed nor am I saying it can be discredited on the based that there is no contrary study. Please try not to inject your interpretation into what I have clearly stated over and over again which is that I am simply asking for data supporting the information, provided in that study, simple.

I pointed out that there are many articles out there that say something different from what the journal article says and I did that to have him understand that it is not just about providing articles but articles that come with supporting information that can be verified

That's why I have insisted that you provide these claims in order to counter this journal. I also highlighted a CNN article on Nigeria which seems to concur with that study. The veracity of this study can be only be ascertained by other studies or journals that would employ the same statistics from Census and methodology. A comparison is based on two or more known conditions.

I happen to live in a city that can not boast of the same claims as what your article from CNN about Nigerians can. We have a high percentage of africans here who are not educated. Following your post, do you mean that if we want to know of all Africans in America we should go to CNN and believe what it says of Nigerians in Houston as being applicable to all Nigerians and Africans in America??.If you do not understand the debate itself and what it is really about, I suggest you allow me deal directly with the guy who posted the article instead. He knows what I asked for and if he finds the information and sees fit to post it, he will, else, all this back and forth with you is proving futile and I feel it is not going to lead me anywhere closer to getting access to the data I requested.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun Gets New Godfather / North Niger And East Are More Developed Western Niger Picture By Musiwa / Why Abacha Was Killed? The IMF/World Bank!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.