Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,924 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Amnesty And The Presidential Pardon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amnesty And The Presidential Pardon (769 Views)

Buhari To Continue Amnesty Programme For Niger Delta / Grant Presidential Pardon To Ibori, Ijaw Group Urges Jonathan - VANGUARD / Presidential Pardon "Laughable And Tribalistic"- CPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amnesty And The Presidential Pardon by MurphyT1: 11:39am On Mar 13, 2013
[b]Barely few days after the call for amnesty from different quarters, both religious and political big wigs especially from the northern region, here comes the Magnanimous Presidential Pardon. Although the power to grant such pardon is not solely bestowed on the office of the serving President but to all past Presidents (Gen. Buhari (rtd) inclusive o) whether of the ruling party or not, all Governors, all past and present attorney Generals of the Federation, all in one accord agrees on who and who benefits from such Presidential pity.

What baffles me now is the extent to which this magnanimous gesture has generated so much reactions, most of negative inclination. I think this is rather sardonic for citizens to frown at an act of forgiveness, probably because of political hatred and interest. If it were to be our relatives or someone we know personally, will we still condemn the action, I think we should look beyond the people involved and focus on the hearts which conceived such an idea, because even in carrying out our daily activities, we one way or the other sin against the Almighty God, yet he still forgives us, what stops us from reciprocating such an act to our fellow brothers when we can. To me, the council of states did wonderfully well to forgive this persons because I no none of us condemning would have done anything different, none. Even in the United States the President has the unique ability to override the justice system, release anyone he chooses from paying a fine, and return a person to the state of innocence he had before he ever committed a crime.

The Council of States isn't required to explain or justify their actions to you, me, national assembly or anyone else for that matter.The power to pardon is left solely to the discretion of the council of states, and cannot be reviewed or overturned by any of the other branches of government (WORLDWIDE). So why do presidential pardons raise so many eyebrows?
I think We should rather focus on how the Northern elders will kick start the process of amnesty, if they so wish, just like the Niger Delta elders did in their own time, the Clarks basically went into the creeks to identify and rob minds with the militants, that was an effort which gave birth to amnesty in that region..their Northern counterparts should tow on same path instead of blaming government, probably the are blaming the local government Chairmen who live closely with this Boko Haram criminals and have failed to bring them to book.

However, lets not allow political interest cloud our minds towards showing love to our fellow citizens, Nigeria is a great country and so are Nigerians regardless of religious and political inclination.

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Amnesty And The Presidential Pardon by mrofficial2(m): 12:40pm On Mar 13, 2013
Who wrote this crap?
Re: Amnesty And The Presidential Pardon by Femzy24: 1:05pm On Mar 13, 2013
but if there is room for pardon, there should also be severe punishment for corrupt individuals cos most corrupt Nigerians will be looking forward to such pardon. efforts should be made to eradicate corruption to the bearest minimum.
Re: Amnesty And The Presidential Pardon by MurphyT1: 2:56pm On Mar 13, 2013
Seun.A.Plonker:
Who wrote this crap?

r u tru with the dishes?
Re: Amnesty And The Presidential Pardon by MurphyT1: 2:58pm On Mar 13, 2013
Femzy24: but if there is room for pardon, there should also be severe punishment for corrupt individuals cos most corrupt Nigerians will be looking forward to such pardon. efforts should be made to eradicate corruption to the bearest minimum.

i think the govt is listening to u and are really trying to arrest corruption in the country

(1) (Reply)

Babalakin Racist :Goodluck Most Call Aviation to Order, Let Be Real By Musiwa / My Oga At The Top: Why NSCDC Redeployed Lagos Commandant, Obafaiye. / Photo: Atiku Prepares For 2015 By Giving Out Shoes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.