Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,088 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria (64976 Views)

Guidelines In Obtaining Driver’s Licence For First-timers / FRSC Reveals Real Cost Of Obtaining A Driver's Licence / Old Number Plates, Driver's Licence Expire Sept 31, Says FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by laprem90: 2:21pm On Mar 14, 2013
I have the new licence. I got it through the exact process the mod stated. I renewed my licence 14/12/11, I was given the temporary licence initially and went back after 60 days to collect the permanent licence.

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 14, 2013
I visited the site november 2012 when i wanted renewing mine.

Just give them N10,000 and forget the long process, your temporary id will be issued in one week.

Since the 31st december 2012 expiry date on my temporary id, no permanent one has been issued. Even the banks honour the expired temporary id acknowledging the rot in our system.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by dapo338(m): 2:28pm On Mar 14, 2013
Na Naija we dey oooo, I know so much abt Driver's Licence but its not easy to get it, They will ask u to pay abt N6,500 to the bank but the process will cost you between 12k to 15k and will take months before u capture except u know sum1 there but the good thing is, u will get a Temp. licence immediately u capture and will valid for 60days like u said. Well Its not easy shaa because right now, No material for producing Temp. Licence...... If anybody is interested, U can call me and I will help u with my church mind... my number is at my signature. Jokes apart. i will help u out.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 14, 2013
ZUBY77: those LASTMA thieves believe they have the right to treat anything about vehicles.
Pack a vehicle, lastma says you didn't park well. Bring 20,000.

Load goods, lastma says you loaded too much or too small. bring 20,000.

Carry passengers, lastma says you have too many or too little.. Bring 20,000.

Carry a girl in front of a car, lastma says she is not your wife, bring 20,000.

Go to Lastma office, you see all the Agberos wearing yellow shirts with brown teeth all over the place discussing the party they attended the previous evening with 20,000.

We are creating these monsters by ourselves and we point fingers at GEJ all the time.

The bolded is funny.

Blame your wicked state government. For me any govt that encourages people oppression in the guise of raising funds is a wicked government.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 14, 2013
Bryancrox: Dis 1 na story,i work opp license office,i dnt have car yet bt have beinq helpinq my frnds 2 do deres, wit jst #3500 yhu ve ur license...Real matters

Do not fall for conmen this is 2013!

FRAUDALERT!!!

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ugochukwumaduka: 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2013
Venchy: 60 DAYS INDEED, without no formal driven lessons, THEORY AND PRACTICAL TEST.

I'm not suprise everyone is confused and been messed around, no wondered cars looks like scrap because theres no formal lesson and road awarness..... NIGERIANS I HAIL THEE.

You are getting it all wrong, 1st you should have learnt how to drive b4 applying for a license...der job is not to teach you how to drive or what u should know about road usage. Ders is to test u and den issue u a license if u pass... D 60 days is d duration u wait to collect d original plastic license,dis is after dey print a temporary license on paper for u.
D supposed confusion is with d processing and collection and dts becos of d large number of people applying, people trying to take advantage of d process by deliberately creating bottlenecks in d process and ofcos d usual govt slow poke,merry go round approach to issues.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2013
goldfish80: Last 2 months I did My vehicle license renewal, I brifly asked τhe licensing officer what it would take to get a drivers license renewal,as mine would expire by June, he said its 6k,but because of me, he will take 5k & the card will be ready same day...it doesn't sound difficult to ♍e

FAKE LICENCE....run away! Dont look back. Goto FRSC not licensing officer. Thank me later.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by oyinbogirl(f): 2:47pm On Mar 14, 2013
wow ...just cant believe something this easy should be so hard....so not necessary.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Venchy: 3:14pm On Mar 14, 2013
ugochukwumaduka:

You are getting it all wrong, 1st you should have learnt how to drive b4 applying for a license...der job is not to teach you how to drive or what u should know about road usage. Ders is to test u and den issue u a license if u pass... D 60 days is d duration u wait to collect d original plastic license,dis is after dey print a temporary license on paper for u.
D supposed confusion is with d processing and collection and dts becos of d large number of people applying, people trying to take advantage of d process by deliberately creating bottlenecks in d process and ofcos d usual govt slow poke,merry go round approach to issues.

Not at all mate, I'm spot on, Majority of Nigerians doesn't know how to drive but move vehicle and that's
the truth because we pretends we know and we have NO IDEA....tell me your driven school and show me your test result.

Why all the rush about licence when there's no GOVERNMENT regulating driven lesson.

We always like to jump the Gun, that's the first step government need to do before you all starts stressing about licence.....

Don't you think the licence issuer need to link up with test instrutors?

Look at it again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by chubbytee: 3:29pm On Mar 14, 2013
getting naija driver's license now is like trying to get UK visa. Daz All
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by deltakitchen: 3:32pm On Mar 14, 2013
what the poster said is really true my sister had the same experience some days back, renewing drivers license in Lagos is no longer business as usual, you have to thru series of protocols and at the end of d 60days u don't get the license and thats ur heartbreak.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by jambogini: 3:35pm On Mar 14, 2013
Its quite easy to get a drivers license, i did mine and exactly 60days i got the original from BIR.
Firstly if you have an old license, you should go to FRSC office and they will use it to generate a form of which you will go to the bank and pay 6300naira i guess.
Take the receipt to the VIO for signing and inspection which might take same day if u pay them 2k.
take the receipt again back to FRSC office they will input your whole data and capture your biometric and immediately print a copy of your license and then give you 90 days to go to BIR TO collect yours. Note : BIR will ask you for 500 naira lol
very easy and fast in enugu state

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by jambogini: 3:36pm On Mar 14, 2013
Anyone that ask you to pay 5k will definitely issue you a fake drivers license. Most nigerians never want to do things the right way.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ugochukwumaduka: 3:42pm On Mar 14, 2013
Venchy:

Not at all mate, I'm spot on, Majority of Nigerians doesn't know how to drive but move vehicle and that's
the truth because we pretends we know and we have NO IDEA....tell me your driven school and show me your test result.

Why all the rush about licence when there's no GOVERNMENT regulating driven lesson.

We always like to jump the Gun, that's the first step government need to do before you all starts stressing about licence.....think about that.
Murderers

It might interest u 2know dat some people actually attended driving schools n were well tutored on how to drive n use d roads, dnt generalise lyk dat.u ever heard of defensive driving course, JMS or hearts n mind..dos re some trainings that drivers attend and ve 2qualify irrespective of class b4 driving a vehicle in sm places in dis same nigeria. I totally agree with u dt der are mad men clutching steering wheels wit der feet glued 2der acceleration pedals even ryt about now, buh dts 2b expected in a society as large as ours.
D govt cn improve upon d current situation now n dey re already doin so cos driving schools are now registered n licensed + dey re enforcing abeit slowly going 2a driving school b4 applying for ur 1st license. So dnt always see d downside or gory side of everytin. Der will always b gud n bad in d society...d chinese call it yin-yang...dts d circle of life,live wit it, improve it n move on 2d next challenge cos der will surely b 1.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by creativemusic: 3:43pm On Mar 14, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 3:49pm On Mar 14, 2013
[size=28pt]How did the hundreds of illiterate drivers, especially Hausa truck drivers who cannot read and write in English and don't know what is ZEBRA CROSSING get their driver's license?[/size]

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by goldfish80(m): 3:50pm On Mar 14, 2013
Adefunkei:

Thank you! that 5k one is fake!!! Dont fall a victim
Am talking abt gettingα renewal, not α first license undecided
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by mofolorunshoabi: 3:53pm On Mar 14, 2013
Sadly I experienced this madness yesterday. I was fined that I was in pocession of a fake drivers licence(as if I print it in my bedroom). I was made to pay 10,000 into Wema bank and another 6,350 into UBA. After all these payment now I was told I'll sit for exam and that I will be attached to a class in Alausa. But for now their machine are down so all I have now is the form and teller from bank. Its so stressful and out of place. May God save us.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by nikkyshyne(f): 4:08pm On Mar 14, 2013
I just left the licensing office at Sura, Lagos Island. I was there to apply for a licence for the very 1st time. Below are my findings:

Obtain an application form: N200
Applying online & downloading: N1,500 (You could do this yourself)
Driver's certificate and learners permit: N3,500(I have a problem with this. I asked if it could be waived cox i already have an expired one)
Driving licence bank payment: N6,350

After making the above payments, you then proceed to meet with the Vehicle inspection officer for a test and the snapshots thingy.

VIO: N1,100 or more(Being payments for God knows what and settlements if u fail or something undecided)

Total:N12,650

I left the place angrily angry

Will check out the New garage, Bariga office tomorrow morning.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Venchy: 4:16pm On Mar 14, 2013
ugochukwumaduka:

It might interest u 2know dat some people actually attended driving schools n were well tutored on how to drive n use d roads, dnt generalise lyk dat.u ever heard of defensive driving course, JMS or hearts n mind..dos re some trainings that drivers attend and ve 2qualify irrespective of class b4 driving a vehicle in sm places in dis same nigeria. I totally agree with u dt der are mad men clutching steering wheels wit der feet glued 2der acceleration pedals even ryt about now, buh dts 2b expected in a society as large as ours.
D govt cn improve upon d current situation now n dey re already doin so cos driving schools are now registered n licensed + dey re enforcing abeit slowly going 2a driving school b4 applying for ur 1st license. So dnt always see d downside or gory side of everytin. Der will always b gud n bad in d society...d chinese call it yin-yang...dts d circle of life,live wit it, improve it n move on 2d next challenge cos der will surely b 1.

Yin yang. ...that's funny.... I hope there will be changes, not just from the Government but the GENERAL PUBLIC at large because the Madness have gone too far as we have no Credible leaders but THIEVES.

Peace and salutation, ONE LOVE

Fingers crossed
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Venchy: 4:18pm On Mar 14, 2013
Orikinla: [size=28pt]How did the hundreds of illiterate drivers, especially Hausa truck drivers who cannot read and write in English and don't know what is ZEBRA CROSSING get their driver's license?[/size]

That's what I'm talking about....we need a serious reform in this part of our lives.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ugochukwumaduka: 4:31pm On Mar 14, 2013
Venchy:

Yin yang. ...that's funny.... I hope there will be changes, not just from the Government but the GENERAL PUBLIC at large because the Madness have gone too far as we have no Credible leaders but THIEVES.

Peace and salutation, ONE LOVE

Fingers crossed

Yeah I hope so too...let's also b agents of change 2...as we demand accountability frm our supposed leaders,we should do same for ourselves also lyk u rightly said. Leadership is nt always about what d top occupied by some ''strangers'' claiming to be nigerians do, it starts from you n me d real nigerians leading ourselves n doin d right tin,@ d right time n taking responsibility for our actions...wisely admitting n correcting each other wen we make mistakes, n looking out for each other...we do dis collectively and we can get dos strangers to do our will or get out empty handed.
Salutations to u also...cheers
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by specialguest(f): 4:32pm On Mar 14, 2013
My experience was a pleasant one just like a few others have also testified here. I happened to be visiting relatives in port harcourt october last year when i decided to renew my licence at the frsc office there.

Let me briefly explain the procedures i encountered.
1. I went to frsc office with my expired licence around 10 am sometime in october last year and i told them i wanted to renew my licence.
2. I was given a from free of charge and asked to fill in the necessary details
3. I filled and submitted the form almost immediately and the frsc official fed the details into a system and gave me a print out to go to union bank and pay.
4. I went to union bank just across the street and paid around 6000 plus, i cant remember the exact figure but it wasnt upto 6500. Mind you thats the only money i paid to get my licence.
5. I was given a teller and another slip which i took to the vio section in internal revenue office. The vio guy asked me a few questions about road signs and then he signed the form i brought.
6. I returned back to the frsc office and submitted the form, shortly after my name was called and i went in for the data capture ( picture and biometrics),
7. I was issued a temporary licence for 60 days and made to fill in a register then i was told to go to the vio office at the expiration of my temporary licence to pick up the original ( december 2012)
8. January 2013 i sent a friend with my temporary licence to collect the original one on my behalf since i was not in town. He was given the licence which he sent to me and i have been using it ever since.

In conclusion, it took me approximately 5 hours to complete my new driver's licence application process. Though it may take longer, depending on luck and the individual concerned.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by chucky234(m): 5:06pm On Mar 14, 2013
ZUBY77:

Dont worry. It costs 5000 naira and three days here. Just your passport photograph and data.
Contact me
Fake!!!
You are standing on a long thingggggg
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by tochiz(m): 5:06pm On Mar 14, 2013
I tried to register and the road safety officer said I must come along with certificate from a certified driving school and to get from the school will cost #15000, I don't know if its only in jos or its all over Nigeria
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Sotty05(f): 5:39pm On Mar 14, 2013
goldfish80:

Renewal isn't 5k too,its abouth 6,500
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Sotty05(f): 5:40pm On Mar 14, 2013
goldfish80:

Renewal isn't 5k too,its about 6,500
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by Anayordike(m): 6:39pm On Mar 14, 2013
Thank God this post is coming on at this time. It’s no doubt that since the announcement by th e FRSC of the new DL and the vehicle plate number, Nigerians have not hidden their fear, displeasure and doubts especially the manner the FRSC has been going about it. Many thought the intervention of the House or Rep. would at least reduce the cost and sufferings which fellow Nigeria will have to face before they are able to meet the criteria being laid down by the FRSC.
As for me I tried to get a fresh DL for myself since I misplaced mine through a friend who could not explain what happened. First I went to FRSC website only to discover there is no online form for fresh DL applicants. I also discovered, fresh DL applicants must go through a driving school who will later present them to FRSC etc. I was able to locate one nearer to my area in the list of list of driving schools approved by FRSC. I obtained application with N1000, Learner’s permit, N600, and Medical certificate from a government Hospital with N2000. We went to the FRSC office only to realize the driving school sponsoring me (so to say) his signature has not been uploaded by the people at Abuja. I went home disappointed.
The man, later connect me with some FRSC officers, he told me I will have to pay N10, 000 instead of the official N6, 350 and I agreed. Only for one of them to tell me later when I called him that it’s now N15, 000. I told him I can’t pay such for a thing that costs N6, 350. Just few days ago, a friend introduced someone to me who promised to get me the old DL for N6000 which will expire in 2015. According to him it will be easier to renew it then. I told him I don’t want fake DL and he assured me it’s not a fake. I have given him the money, expecting him to deliver it to me any moment from now. I will have to verify its authenticity when I see it.
In my own opinion, the FRSC is not helping matters at all. They seem to forget that it’s easier to make new policies in Naija ; but not easy to implement. They should go back to their drawing board. They seem to be taking more than they can chew. Does DL actually prevent road accident? The answer is capital NO!

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by nich(m): 6:40pm On Mar 14, 2013
Thanx pips for ALL info shared so far. My colleagues at the office also thank you because i shared your info with them even when some were reluctant to know. Now they're aware and each person's thinking of how to cross the hurdles created by our supposed friends @ VIO & FRSC.

In all, i think i have decided to take a week off work sometime soon to go do my DL renewal somewhere in Kwara, Osun or even Edo state if Lagos wahala is this bad courtesy of our Population in Lagos. Eko o ni baje o! wink
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by bravolad(m): 6:45pm On Mar 14, 2013
Obtaining the new drivers' license is not very difficult as people present it here. If you fill the online form, you are required to print out an acknowledgement page which you will take to the VIO office. You also decide to pay online or at the bank, however, you pay is immaterial. Thereafter, you take you take the payment slip or acknowledgement slip to the VIO office where they will verify it. Then you will go through a test of road signs identification and eye test.

Afterwards, your biometrics will be captured and the temporary license will be issued to you. This presupposes that you must have passed the test.

I did mine last month here in Abuja and still await the permanent license in April. The process was relatively simple. The only caveat was that it took a long time than I envisaged.

One thing I observed during the process is that so people are so much in a hurry to get it done. They do not want to go through the due process. Some will even fail the test & argue blindly that the road signs shown to them do not exist when indeed they don't know.
Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by aduje(m): 7:23pm On Mar 14, 2013
I do not HAVE a drivers license. I have been driving since 2004. I leave home at 5.10am to office on Victoria Island. I close at 7.00pm, catch some fun till 10.00pm (waiting for traffic on 3rd Mainland bridge to reduce) and then i hit the road. I have never met these men on yellow shirts or those ex-soldiers on white and black. BTW HOW DO I OBTAIN A DRIVERS LICENSE

1 Like

Re: Getting A Driver's Licence In Nigeria by ivoryhouse(m): 7:38pm On Mar 14, 2013
I really enjoy discussions on nairaland and i spend more time on NL these days than on any other website.
5hours to get a driver's licence, that's absurd! The last one i did at FRCN in portharcourt took less than 2hours and i got the license in less than a week. They have changed the process and made complicated, they make biometrics look like things you get from a babalawo! It can only get better, be encouraged ! Thanks for the information, it really helped me as my 'fake' license has over a year before it expires but i have decided to get the original i got from portharcourt and renew it ASAP. thnks again. Cheers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Nigerian Made This Tv Stand From A 2017 Mercedes Benz Gle Bumper (photos) / Most Popular Luxury Car Brands And Where They Are Produced(photos) / Help, I Bashed My Friend's Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.