Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Java, The Ultimate Programming Language - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Java, The Ultimate Programming Language (2342 Views)

How 2 Change Ur 2go Star Progress 2 Ultimate Wit Jst N5 Sms / Which Programming Language Do Yahoo, Gmail And Hotmail Used / Which Web Programming Language Are The Hardest & The Easiest? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Gamine(f): 6:16pm On Mar 25, 2008
Im at the point where i have to choose which language to completely
delve into.
Our lecturers keep drumming Java into our ears,
I have a choice betwn C++, Java, VB, PHP & attached web PL's

I need the advise of programming gurus.

What do i do? undecided
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by smartsoft(m): 6:24pm On Mar 25, 2008
it all boils down to what you want to do, you say you like web right ? so, ? if you like software development choose Java or .NET

but it all boils down to what and what you wanna do.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by my2cents(m): 7:25pm On Mar 25, 2008
1) go for what is "hot" in your place of residence. Why? Cos you will get a job quicker. In the realm of web dev in Naija, I would say that would be PHP

2) After that, like a kung-fu master, have a second side language, so that if #1 flops, you have back-up. I am thinking Java/JSP here.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Gamine(f): 9:58pm On Mar 25, 2008
Yay!!

PHP. hmm im quite comfy with this one.

as for JAVA? undecided not too sure ooh.

But hey men, thanks wink
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by smartsoft(m): 1:55pm On Mar 26, 2008
To me don't know about others JAVA to me is pretty hard man ! i dread peeps who really do it well i agree with my friend 2cent, not a enough peeps out there even uses JSP.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Gamine(f): 12:35pm On Mar 27, 2008
aah!!! If you people think Java is hard!

i wonder wetin i go do now ooh!!! shockedembarassed

1 Like

Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by RuuDie(m): 1:39pm On Mar 27, 2008
If you're looking 4 one thats SIMPLE to learn. . . . then I suggest VB would suit you just fine! But if you can just make up your mind 2 Java and you am learn well, well hmmmm. . . . you go be hot cake oh!
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Afam(m): 2:03pm On Mar 27, 2008
The majority of web applications out there run on PHP and unless majority of the developers out there are just wrong then I suggest you stick to PHP.

As a matter of fact PHP can be adapted to the desktop not just the web.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by RuuDie(m): 2:08pm On Mar 27, 2008
@ Afam,

really interested in PHP but dunno how 2 get started. . . . . got any clues?
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by RuuDie(m): 3:36pm On Mar 27, 2008
Will PHP work with Win server IIS ?
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Afam(m): 4:18pm On Mar 27, 2008
RuuDie:

@ Afam,

really interested in PHP but don't know how 2 get started. . . . . got any clues?

www.php.net is a good place to start. Will be boring no doubt but it will help in understanding what's up with the language. Don't force yourself to understand everything for now.

Looking at web applications and trying to figure out how you can replicate them will work like magic.

Remember, you cannot think programming without thinking in a logical manner.

If it cannot work in your head most likely it will not work when you write the code.

RuuDie:

Will PHP work with Win server IIS ?

Yes, it will.

Search for apache2triad and install on your windows platform and you will be good to go.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Gamine(f): 10:24pm On Mar 27, 2008
Yeah thanks,

For my project i used PHP to build a GUI

with MySQL.

I guess i will stick with PHP smiley

But Java. . . . . embarassed
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by naijafan(m): 11:04pm On Mar 27, 2008
PHP to build GUI

bet u were referring to HTML wink
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Gamine(f): 9:56am On Mar 28, 2008
Yes , PHP to build a GUI
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by naijafan(m): 11:15am On Mar 28, 2008
Gamine:

Yes , PHP to build a GUI

don't mean to be rude, but scripting languages don't build GUIs.

They take care of the business logic and database interaction

Presentation (GUI) is done in HTML, Flash or Flex most of the time.

Sorry.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by DualCore1: 11:57am On Mar 28, 2008
Gamine:

Yay!!

PHP. hmm im quite comfy with this one.

as for JAVA? undecided not too sure ooh.

But hey men, thanks wink

php is a scripting lang
java is an object oriented (programming) lang.
both of them can't be compared smiley

Gamine:

Yes , PHP to build a GUI

php deals with your back-end which includes database interactions, session management and the likes.

smartsoft:

To me don't know about others JAVA to me is pretty hard man ! i dread peeps who really do it well i agree with my friend 2cent, not a enough peeps out there even uses JSP.

bro if u say this of JAVA what would u say of C++ that lets u do things all by yourself, take for example the feature of gabage collection in java, doesn't it make work all together easy. i'll put my money on the java syntax over c++ syntax any day.

whats so hard in java, its all about getting and setting things, calling methods and importing packages.
a simple java class to tell u ma name could be

public class myId()
{
String id;
public displayId()
{
id = "dual core";
System.out.println("my nairaland id is "+ id);
}

public static void main(String [] args)
{
myId idObj = new myId();
idObj.displayId();
}
}

that's not hard to understand, make any c++ guy help map out the c++ equivalent of this, then u can compare.
we don't have to see any programing language as hard, though some have steep learning curves, when we got the determination, we can always do it.

Gamine:

Yeah thanks,

For my project i used PHP to build a GUI

with MySQL.

I guess i will stick with PHP smiley

But Java. . . . . embarassed
GUI = Graphical User Interface
the right thing to say would be that u used html embedded in php
php aint got nada to do with presentation logic.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by naijafan(m): 12:40pm On Mar 28, 2008
Dual Core:

GUI = Graphical User Interface
the right thing to say would be that u used html embedded in php
php aint got nada to do with presentation logic.

abeg help me tell Gamine o.

she's prolly confused because of the .php extension

@Gamine
the .php extension is to tell the webserver to process the PHP scripts in the file, as the webserver wouldnt be trying to figure that out all by itself.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by mambenanje(m): 7:22pm On Mar 28, 2008
why are some guys scaring others off Java.
Java to me is a universal language and if you claim you are a software developer be it web or desktop or enterprise you should get your hands on java and you wont regret it.
Knowing java will give you a wider understanding of modern day programming and after java you can take a week to learn php and code better Object Oriented php than the procedural stuffs most people do which is crapy. you can take another week to learn C# and start building some desktop applications like notepad wink
or another week to learn ruby on rails and build web apps like www.twitter.com within one week. or you can just improve your skills in java an start building things like gmail with google web toolkit and eclipse
if you got the time and brains invest into java and you wont regret it.

So @ Poster I would advice you to use one bullet to shooot all programming languages and your best shot is java [IMHO]
I learned java and now I code in C#, php, actionscript 1.0,2.0 3.0 , python, ruby on rails and a couple of others not to mention. because of java I leaned jquery (www.jquery.com) in one night. Java is about best practises and industry standards, so go in for that.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by smartsoft(m): 7:35pm On Mar 28, 2008
all those code, just to tell me your name when i can actually tell you, your name just like this

<?php
echo 'smartsoft';
?>

and run it through the browser and it will tell you my name straight
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by DualCore1: 9:49pm On Mar 28, 2008
@smartsoft
what in the two phrases "programming language" and "scripting language" do u not understand? Duh?!
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by naijafan(m): 9:51pm On Mar 28, 2008
smartsoft:

all those code, just to tell me your name when i can actually tell you, your name just like this

<?php
echo 'smartsoft';
?>

and run it through the browser and it will tell you my name straight

Dual Core was demostrating how easy it is to use initialize classes as objects and call functions in them. Hello?
Now, do just that in PHP  wink
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Gamine(f): 11:37pm On Mar 28, 2008
Naijafan

Oga programmer,

As small fish wey no know wetin HTML be.Sorry ohh! cheesy
d database e no part of the GUI whether e dey back or front.

Dual core, thanks ooh

i should realy have stated, embedded in HTML
its all Good! grin
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by naijafan(m): 9:48am On Mar 29, 2008
Gamine:

Naijafan

Oga programmer,

As small fish wey no know wetin HTML be.Sorry ohh! cheesy
d database e no part of the GUI whether e dey back or front.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Gamine(f): 2:39pm On Mar 29, 2008
LOL cheesy
you know we have an understanding wink

Back to the Ól board, PHP

but Java here i coooooooome!!!! grin
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by webpro(m): 2:56pm On Mar 29, 2008
what am i to say?
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Nobody: 3:43pm On Mar 29, 2008
@ first poster
I believe in java very much,php cannot be compared with java. they are 2 different things here.
java can be used in a variety of ways like animation,roll over image, making a file submit form etc.while php deals with html stuffs and is web related.
i will say in my own opinion try php first before java becos for now php seem to be the bomb.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 29, 2008
you can visit www.thesitewizard.com for more tips
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by smartsoft(m): 7:31pm On Mar 29, 2008
in2gold i think mean to say javascript not java huh ?
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by naijafan(m): 3:08am On Mar 30, 2008
smartsoft:

in2gold i think mean to say javascript not java huh ?

and must have ended up misinforming the poor girl embarassed
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by onizzy: 3:31am On Mar 30, 2008
guys!
u'all seem gud wit this stuffz
im a computer sci grad n im ashamed 2 say i dont no much abt d whole tin
i wanna learn some stufz
so do any of u guys offer lessons or
know where i can go for hands-on practicals?
i reside in ph so it might be a longshot
hopin 2 hear some gud news from someone though.
b gud y'all
cheerzzz grin
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by naijafan(m): 11:16am On Mar 30, 2008
onizzy:

im a computer sci grad n im ashamed 2 say i don't no much about d whole tin

Dont be ashamed. 90% of my class werent into computers. But now bag a BSc in Computer Science. . .with good grades for that matter. wink
While I ended up with somethn close to a third class cry lipsrsealed

onizzy:

i reside in ph so it might be a longshot
erm. . . erm. . . Dual Core might be of help in that case. He does Java and resides in PH.
Re: Java, The Ultimate Programming Language by RuuDie(m): 3:46pm On Apr 04, 2008
@ Afam,

Please a li'l overview on Apache2triad, i'm sure you've used it. . . . . . are you saying that with this apache thingy installed on my Windows, i ain't g'onna need 2 install MySQL seperately ?
The documentation i read on it bemuses me some. . . . . .

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Long Does It Normally Take Search Engines To Crawl A Site? / My WHMCS Addons / How To Build Your Free Website Using Our Free Website Builder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.