Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,775 members, 7,810,021 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:47 PM

Things To Know Before Getting Married! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Things To Know Before Getting Married! (34278 Views)

I'm Having Doubts About Getting Married Next Month / Three (3) Financial Moves To Make Before Getting Married / Getting Married As An Undergraduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by yuzedo: 1:45pm On Jun 15, 2013
op bro all dis one u right is STORY! Once I see a sweet babes on nl wit big brezz, big nyash + ice cream lap + looooook like rita dumminick am gettin marry straigth!!!! undecided

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by kreamidiva(f): 1:45pm On Jun 15, 2013
[quote author=Stegomiah]Before you get married

6. Once your choice is right then you are on the right track. How can a lion be married to a goat? what now
happens when the lion is hungry? Any man that beats his wife is likened to the above illustration. Any woman that oppresses her husband is also likened to... should the wife leave him when he beats her?esp being battered while pregnant.
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Ping411: 1:48pm On Jun 15, 2013
van bonattel: Marriage has no recipe, no formular, no written constitutions and no rigid rules. Two strange people can have nothing in common and still be married happily for life.

#Gbam . There is no formula for marriage. it's an institution where books can't save you, but may only guide you.
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by obowunmi(m): 2:01pm On Jun 15, 2013
Odunharry: nyc 1 bt numbr 4 be as e get o...wont people who r easily angered get marry?

They pretend then they turn their partners into punching bags....you can't pretend for long.
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jun 15, 2013
Yomieluv: Nice write ,I left a relationship of 5years,cos my Ex held my shirt in public, I was surprised,never believed such could ever happened to me.I told her,its over instantly,cos if I marry such,I will end up a miserable man.

No matter what,I believe differences should be settled at home,not in public.

I applaud you for leaving
Na from holding shirt,next time she will add dagger to the hand
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by abduldope(m): 2:14pm On Jun 15, 2013
who nid marriage @18 I guess nt me grin
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 15, 2013
van bonattel: Marriage has no recipe, no formular, no written constitutions and no rigid rules. Two strange people can have nothing in common and still be married happily for life.

This is repeated over And over especially at nigerian weddings and it is a big fat lie from the pit of hell

There are formulas that will help lay a foundation for success in everything including marriage
And every married person should be a student of that formula for life

Maybe marriage has no recipe but a good marriage does

Why don't we say raising a child has no recipe and formula and no rules and leave children to fate
There is a formula for marriage
It starts with love then mutual respect and understanding and communication

That formula includes

Don't beat your wife
Don't cheat on her
Respect and honor your husband
Love your wife
Provide for the family
Give her her rightful place and guard interferences from your mother

Etc etc

I once heard someone say that good marriages don't just happen,they are conscientiously built and daily worked at
I agree 100%

4 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jun 15, 2013
I like the work on yourself part!

U can't be struggling with your esteem and jump into courtship, u r just a disaster going somewhere to happen.

Work on yourself, love yourself to a fault.
I am loving my break mehn
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by ozoemeka(m): 2:26pm On Jun 15, 2013
Stegomiah: Before you get married please read...

1. Once you are hooked to the wrong person the battle is over, you will either be managing or patching till you die. If a goat marries a fish, how would they live or where would they be meeting each other? It is only
when the goat is thirsty and goes to the river to drink water that they will only see briefly as the fish will jump out to greet the goat and swim away. Any marriage where both partners see each other once in a long while is likened to the goat and fish illustration above. Marriage does not make marriage. It is the people in marriage that make marriage.

2 .Compatibility is worked out, of course you may never get a perfect person. But with dedication,knowledge and wisdom compatibility will start building, that is if he or she is the right person.

3. But the major challenge in getting married is choosing the right person. You don't choose a person because he or she is available or eligible. You choose a person because that person is the right for you.

4. Run away from any man or woman that is easily angered by nature; that is getting angry easily is he or she's lifestyle. It is difficult to change that person. But if someone gets angry by mistake, that person can be corrected but if it is his or her nature, you have to think twice.

5. It is possible to mis-marry. It is possible to be living with the wrong man or woman. It is possible to be dating the wrong person or be in courtship with the wrong person.

6. Once your choice is right then you are on the right track. How can a lion be married to a goat? what now
happens when the lion is hungry? Any man that beats his wife is likened to the above illustration. Any woman that oppresses her husband is also likened to this scenario.

7. There are some people that are highly inflamable, please do not take a box of matches near them. What this means is that these people's hearts are made of stone, giving them your soft heart in love is a mistake. They will not value it.

8. Love may be blind to many, but marriage will definitely open their eyes. Love in reality is not blind when you start seeing those unchangeable signs during courtship please keep off. When a man starts cheating on you when dating, it is a sign that he will do much more when he is married to you. He or she may legally begin to cheat on you because he is now married legally to you.

9. Dating is not for outing alone, dating is for knowing, watching and examining. Watch out for negative signs to see if it can be dealt with, if it cannot be dealt with in courtship it may not change in marriage.

10. To get the right person, try to be the right person. Work on yourself, work on your flaws.

11 America and the western world is plagued with divorce today because they marry without paying attention to these facts listed above. They marry without knowing the person they are marrying at least to a large extent.

12. Don't practice divorce before you get married. That is when you are breaking relationships over and over
again, your emotion is also affected in the process. Wait for the right person.

13. Don't marry because you cannot enjoy your singlehood. If you are happy being single, then you will be happy being married and if you are not happy while still single....

14. Marriage is not an escape from singlehood but marriage is actually a graduation from singlehood...moving
from writing simple exams of life to writing another hard exams.

15. Do not rush into marriage because you are under pressure or you are feeling you are the odd one out. When you are feeling everyone is getting married except you then you are making yourself becoming a wrong person.

true
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Super1759: 2:32pm On Jun 15, 2013
Julieccentric: I like the work on yourself part!

U can't be struggling with your esteem and jump into courtship, u r just a disaster going somewhere to happen.

Work on yourself, love yourself to a fault.
I am loving my break mehn
go and marry my friend. Which one is break
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jun 15, 2013
Super1759: go and marry my friend. Which one is break

Hahahahaha..Oya come marry me nau
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by imarena(f): 3:41pm On Jun 15, 2013
Nice piece @ OP. I think commitment, love, mutual respect and prayers are key to a successful home. God gave us brain so that He can rest!
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by enilove(m): 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2013
I agree with your points,but what can someone do when we know that in
: Jeremiah 17:9 God tells us that
"the heart is deceitful above all things , and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

It is possible for someone to live for years with a man or a woman and not know the true colour of that person.Yes,until something goes wrong b4 you will realise what Jer.17:9 means. Even the inlaws can change and bcom something else,except d God fearing ones among them.

If God says your partner is that 'short and ugly man or woman',if you go for someone else,it will take the grace of God for such marriage to last till the end.
It is the end that justifies the means.

The servant of Abraham prayed to God to b4 choose a wife for Isaac, and God did not disappoint him.

Prayer is the key because a man or a woman who is seen to be ok can inwardly be a wolve in sheep's clothing.

Marriage goes byond the wife alone,the family of your wife or husband matters attimes.
In those days the Yorubas used to investigate the bachground or family history of where you are going to choose your spouse from.But such is negnected nowadays.

It is God that has the history and knows the true nature of whom you are about to marry,so can advice you rightly.

There are so many dissimilar problems in marriages that when you sit down and ponder over them,you will come to a conclusion that it is beyond theories, but by God can a marriages succeed and be truly be a happy one.

As I said ,I agree with your posted advices which will go a long way to assist in choosing a right parner.But we need to invite God first and then follow carefully on your right suggestions. Then ,if your conclusion is diff from God's,you better take to God's chosen parner for you, if you are the type that can receive from God.
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by MonoE: 4:19pm On Jun 15, 2013
[quote
author=baby_123]

Absolutely on point. Every relationship/marriage is unique. Do what
works for you as long as it doesn't involve abuse from either party in
any form. There is no one size fits all advice to marriage, kind of like
no one size fits all advice to anything in life. So we all have to be
careful what we take in or listen to.[/quote]
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by TiiTee: 4:20pm On Jun 15, 2013
Do not break a home.
Do not marry another woman's husband.
Do not marry another man's wife.
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by aniiii(f): 5:03pm On Jun 15, 2013
[;;'']][]
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by sparko1(m): 6:09pm On Jun 15, 2013
11 America and the western world is plagued with divorce today because they marry without paying attention to these facts listed above. They marry without knowing the person they are marrying at least to a large extent.
can the issue of marriage be mentioned without this asumption, more than 50 percent of Nigerian men have more than 2 wives, not to talk of more than 20 percent with 3 and above wives. If there is a law against marrying two wives, do you know what the divorse rate will be! Marriage is a business arrangement, when you are tired of it, you walk! Don't live in boundage.

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by sparko1(m): 6:28pm On Jun 15, 2013
aniiii: OMG SEUN since when did it make a moaning sound when you like a comment

my boyfriend thought i was watching porrn shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
are you sure you're ok. Moaning seriousely?
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Miraclebaby1109: 7:23pm On Jun 15, 2013
Marriage is a long long term business, so be wise while making choice and never marry the wrong person or u become frustrated n depressed all ur life spent together.
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by lonely2205: 8:28pm On Jun 15, 2013
U don't have to blame anyone cos both parties must contribute to the success of the marriage. Nice write up jare
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 15, 2013
TRutH
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Stegomiah: 10:22pm On Jun 15, 2013
babyosisi:

This is repeated over And over especially at nigerian weddings and it is a big fat lie from the pit of hell

There are formulas that will help lay a foundation for success in everything including marriage

Why don't we say raising a child has no recipe and formula and no rules and leave children to fate

That formula includes

Don't beat your wife
Don't cheat on her
Love your wife
Provide for the family

Etc etc

I once heard someone say that good marriages don't just happen,they are conscientiously built and daily worked at
I agree 100%

Babyosisi u ar just 2 much, may God bless you for dis post!

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by ImperialMcHael(m): 10:38pm On Jun 15, 2013
I love this piece for one thing, there is no direct reference to God in it. But I'm suprised that the replies have a lot of God God God in them.
My apologies, but I believe one thing: God doesn't build what men refuses to build! If your marriage is not working, its your fault not God's.
Hey, even pastors/imams might not be able to save their marriages.
When men agree, God concords.
The problem with us as a people is that we are ready to accept less simply because we are "mere humans"
To say people that have a good marital life enjoys more of God's grace is a fallacy!
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Clinton207: 11:09pm On Jun 15, 2013
bukatyne: One knowing what he/she wants to be in life also helps very much (Vision or purpose). It automatically reduces the pool of eligible suitors.

'When a person has no destination, anywhere becomes his end point.'

If a single is not happy, he/she cannot be happy in marriage
If a single is not complete, he/she cannot be complete in marriage
If a single has no sense of fulfillment, he/she cannot be fulfilled in marriage

Marriage is NOT a status symbol! You are telling people that you have found a companion that together you want to fulfill your collective and individual purposes.

If you want to marry because:
you want someone to cook your meals get a cook
you want someone to wash your clothes/clean get a maid
you want someone to pay the bills get a job/rich maga
you want security get a maiguard
you want a change of name go to a court
you want kids adopt or get a baby mama/daddy

However, if you want a lifelong companion with all the above in the package .... GET MARRIED

it's well

G̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡D̶̲̥̅ bless u

Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Chinwem(f): 4:18am On Jun 16, 2013
babyosisi:

That formula includes

Don't beat your wife
Don't cheat on her
Love your wife
Provide for the family

Etc etc

I agree 100%

Goodness gracious me.......see wisdom!!
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by harmony940(m): 5:47am On Jun 16, 2013
@stegomiah its a very good write up if its not a copy and paste thing,if its from ur own innitiative i will advise u to go for marraige,relationship counselling its a grey area in Nigeria and u will be good at it believe u me.
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Decryptor(m): 7:49am On Jun 16, 2013
gbanikiti: You called the relationship quits because she held your shirt in public? Like seriously? you didn't tell us the reason behind her acts. don't worry, the next woman you will date will slap you in public! nonsense!! angry
No matter what he did to her, it does not warrant her to embarrass him in public! If it was the other way round, you'll say he's an abuser. Hypocrite+Female Chauvanist! Mtcheeewww!
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Princesszoe: 8:32am On Jun 16, 2013
babyosisi:

That formula includes

Don't beat your wife
Don't cheat on her
Love your wife
Provide for the family

Etc etc

I agree 100%
. God bless you my sister.
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by AlmaVincent(f): 11:12am On Jun 16, 2013
nice one!!!
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by honeypieyankee: 12:42pm On Jun 16, 2013
Nyc write up
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 16, 2013
After all has been theorised and practicalised, what really matters is, know thyself and be true.
Re: Things To Know Before Getting Married! by Stegomiah: 3:15pm On Jun 16, 2013
mazado: After all has been theorised and practicalised, what really matters is, know thyself and be true.

On point!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"I Will Die, If I Give My Wife Money" - Man Tells Lagos Court / View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Man Confesses And Apologizes To His Wife On Facebook For Cheating (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.