Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,254 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:50 AM

Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? (4338 Views)

Divorce An Act Worthy Of Celebration? / Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? / Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by bilms(m): 10:58pm On Mar 15, 2013
ARE TODAY'S ELDERS WORTHY OF EMULATION?

I ask cos of the moral decadence in the society and I see a lot of irresponsible elders and i can't help but wonder what the younger ones can learn from them? undecided
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Mar 15, 2013
Everybody should be responsible and stop blaming elders for their bad behaviours....

there're few things I completely lacked growing up that was regarded( in society) as a necessity in a kids life esp as a girl and so far so good I turned out okay , if things go wrong( God forbid) for me in that dept , I have myself to blame rather than point fingers.

If 'Today's Elders' are not worth emulating , cultivate good example within you to come out with great strides.

4 Likes

Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by BabaOyo(m): 11:26pm On Mar 15, 2013
Wisdom does not come from books or with age!! Wisdom comes from God!!
If you have elders with bad behaviours and nothing to emulate from them...then look inwards, there are less "elderly" people you can still look up to for inspirations!! Never base knowledge & wisdom on a person's age!!!
Ogbon ni a fi n d'agba, Agba ki I fe ka da oun.!
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by bilms(m): 8:55am On Mar 16, 2013
Both of you are 100% correct in your submission,but you have still not answered the question. The question is, are these elders worthy of emulation? It is not taking away the facts in your submission and i support your position 100%.
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by bilms(m): 10:05am On Mar 18, 2013
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by greatgod2012(f): 10:25am On Mar 18, 2013
Some of them are and some of them are not.
We all know and identify good deeds, if you discver that a certain elder is not worthy of emulation, then, dont emulate him/her, and if an elder is worthy of emulation, then, get close to him/her in order to gain some of the attributre that he/she possesses, simple, we all know and can differentiate/distinguish between bad attitude and good ones, so, its left for us to do the right thing, you dont blame your bad behavious on some other people.
We are all answerable/responsible to whatever happens to us through our deeds, not others.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by bilms(m): 1:22pm On Mar 18, 2013
Good point
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by miteolu(m): 3:00pm On Mar 19, 2013
Soji elders?
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by ebamma(m): 3:01pm On Mar 19, 2013
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Fhemmmy: 3:02pm On Mar 19, 2013
We have the senses, mind and ability to emulate those that are emulatable (If there is a word like such) . . . Besides, could you too be emulated?

1 Like

Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 19, 2013
Yeah, if you consider spending thousands on drinks and being bribed by every title seeking dolt worthy of emulation..
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
First of all, define an "elder".

I have my reason for asking this question.
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
Which kind question be this na?!

Stop emulating people and be original..
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
Not really - the last great/good elders died a long time ago...

All the elders we've today have sold their souls for a nickle...

It's just difficult to name one elderly black person on this planet worth emulating, to be honest... undecided
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
ebamma: .

See as this Nama dey book space.. grin
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Mar 19, 2013
HNosegbe: First of all, define an "elder".

I have my reason for asking this question.

Perhaps, the "elder" according to the OP is relative to the older generation...
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by miiraaj: 3:06pm On Mar 19, 2013
Elders like Reuben Abati, Alamesieyegha,Doyin Okupe, etc? No thanks.

I can only emulate elders like ...........

No elder worthy of emulation.undecided

1 Like

Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by yuzedo: 3:07pm On Mar 19, 2013
Yes! Very generous.

Who wouldn't want to emulate an eeeeediot elder who dashes other elderer elders N1m each for Misteh Biggs (Misteh, not Mister)

... Or who gives his ex-babe jeep & sponsors 40 of her friends abroad for her wedding.

Today's elders don't have sh..it on Solarin, Imuodu, Rewane, and co. wink

1 Like

Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by KINGwax(m): 3:10pm On Mar 19, 2013
I dunno wot neck of the woods u resides, but d question is: who are d elders?
If u're talkin 40-60 yrs of today, then u're on a long thing!
But talk abt d fathers and mothers of d 40-50yrs old supposedly elders, then u av real elders!
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by chykeo1(m): 3:10pm On Mar 19, 2013
My Opinion:
It appears most of them arent, but a few are still worthy of being emulated.

My Suggestion:
Let us (the youth) continue to emulate a Christain lifestyle inspired by the Holy Spirit.
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Maxymilliano(m): 3:14pm On Mar 19, 2013
If the category you meant are the political elders, emulating them is like walking gracefully towards perdition without knowing...
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 19, 2013
YES & No
Let me start with the saying that "A child who has never fantasized about having other parents is seriously lacking in imagination"
Apparently, in our society today, their are believable reasons for many of today's elders to be considered NOT worthy of emulation, especially those who put themselves first before young people.
From my childhood experience, I've learned that bad parents always put themselves first before their kids while Good parents realize the kids come first.
In all, some elders are worthy of emulating while many are not.
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Jerryjat(m): 3:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
Every man 4 him self broda...
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by obyrich(m): 3:30pm On Mar 19, 2013
The modern day trend is not for youths to emulate elders, rather elders are encouraged to emulate the youths in all spheres of human life including morality.There is no legacy the elders of contemporary Nigerian society have to bequeath their youth. Nothing good to emulate. Try to be your best and forget those old wasted folks. I think we shall get an 'emulatable' generation of elders after this generation is passed. However you can listen to the advice of some of them, but be careful with how you copy their lifestyles.Nobody wants to be an elder in the true sense of the word.
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Regiblinkz(m): 3:43pm On Mar 19, 2013
Its like asking if your parents are worth emulating?
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 19, 2013
+1 at bolded.

obyrich: The modern day trend is not for youths to emulate elders, rather elders are encouraged to emulate the youths in all spheres of human life including morality.There is no legacy the elders of contemporary Nigerian society have to bequeath their youth. Nothing good to emulate. Try to be your best and forget those old wasted folks. I think we shall get an 'emulatable' generation of elders after this generation is passed. However you can listen to the advice of some of them, but be careful with how you copy their lifestyles.Nobody wants to be an elder in the true sense of the word.
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by AjanleKoko: 3:49pm On Mar 19, 2013
Respect them and their achievements, YES.
Emulate them, definitely not.
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by dayokanu(m): 3:50pm On Mar 19, 2013
You select those ones you want to emulate or that are worthy of it.

Elderly people are normally supposed to be of good behaviour Agbalagba ko ye ko ma se langba langba

You cant see the old drunkard beside your house and emulate him

And some elders even bring disrespect onto themselves

like they Agbalagba to so agbado mo idi, lo so ara re di alawada adie (An elder who ties corn to his waist has turned himself to a playmates of chicken)

2 Likes

Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Justice42003: 4:02pm On Mar 19, 2013
What elders ar we emulating.
D ones that ar older dan this country itself or d ones dat hav driven corruption 2 its highest level or d so called lecturers dat sleeps around wit our students so dat dey can graduate wit 2.1 n work in a bank.
I think d reverse should be d case study,its high tym d elders should emulate we youths. because we wont fall 4 any political or nonsense lies coming frm these elders anymore.
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Odunharry(m): 4:17pm On Mar 19, 2013
Okija_juju: Which kind question be this na?!

Stop emulating people and be original..
na wa o,are todays elder worthy of emulation?or simply what can you say about the elders today?
Re: Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? by Odunharry(m): 4:19pm On Mar 19, 2013
it seems many pipu aint getting what d op actually meant.
Let put it this way,what can u say about our elders today?it can be good or bad

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Told My Friend About Her Result, Now She's Has Been Admitted In The Hospital / Tvc / Ltv Children Xmas Funfair. / "My Friend Place Our Late Friend’s Wife On A N150k Monthly Allowance" - Guy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.