Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,921 members, 7,952,702 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:44 PM

Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? (3863 Views)

5 Masculine Chores I Did As A Female Child. / Higher Education And The Female Child / Are Today's Elders Worthy Of Emulation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 11:40pm On Jul 12, 2011
On my way home today after my daily work outs and jogging, an eight year old black american neighbour walked up to me and asked " Hi Sir, is it right to kiss my cousin's joystick, cos i did it yesterday after he asked me to?" already animated i asked gently how old is your cousin? she replied "i don't know for sure but i know he is above 20 cos he is older than my sister who is 21", at that point my heart cringed and tears from my soul could be heard from a distance, visible irritated i calmly told her to ensure she told her mom what happened and she replied, "my mom is never at home", that response shattered every other response i was going to give her, so i advised her never to do that again with the cousin and also to speak to the mom about it whenever she came back and also report to her dad and her school counselor, she promised to do as i said, thanked me and walked home, 

Today's parents especially mothers have neglected their duties of child upbringing, children are now raised by the internet and peers while parents(mothers in particular) have become too busy to realize their children are gradually becoming strangers under their nostrils, all in a quest to make money,  the female child deserves more protection,

Abuse is inhuman,  lets stop this act
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by mamagee3(f): 11:46pm On Jul 12, 2011
Are you being honest of this story? undecided

If yes, why didn't you call CPS on the family?
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 11:55pm On Jul 12, 2011
@mama-gee
its a true life story and i just met with the family after she reported to the dad and the dad wanted to see me, now and they are reporting to the child protective service (CPS)
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by african1(f): 12:02am On Jul 13, 2011
That is awful. Hopefully CPS places the kids with thier dad or a nice foster home.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by mamagee3(f): 12:03am On Jul 13, 2011
I hope the case is taking as severe as it sounds. . .
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 12:07am On Jul 13, 2011
its better its happening in the states where there are institutions that take care of issues like this, how about Nigeria and lesser developed nations?
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by 190: 12:21am On Jul 13, 2011
OP is 100% right

the other day ,

I father dropped his kid just to catch a cricket ball and it made news on the internet

the man was deeply engrossed and the child hit him after picking himself up
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by iice(f): 3:24am On Jul 13, 2011
Sorry being present is not the same as making impact.
It's like how people confuse talking for communicating.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Sicherheit(m): 3:56am On Jul 13, 2011
Why single out the mothers? undecided
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 5:23am On Jul 13, 2011
@sicherheit
if you read the post very well u would realize i mentioned its the failure of the parents, but in particular the mother, i was raised by my parents, but i surely know the impact my mother had on me during my tender age, mothers can not solely train a child, but the impact of a mother on her kids especially during their tender ages can not be overemphasized,
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by dayokanu(m): 2:33am On Jul 14, 2011
Hoping the boy is in jail at the moment
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Cogent: 5:20am On Jul 14, 2011
Roland, na wa for this your story. So an unknown girl just walked up to you and asked you such a serious question? Asked you, instead of an uncle/aunt or maybe teacher?
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 6:49am On Jul 14, 2011
@cogent
I obviously would absolve you the blame of not reading the post properly to realize i mentioned during the story that the kid is my neighbor, also for your information American kids can ask any1 and i mean any1 any kind of question any where and are known to be open minded and inquisitive even after giving them the answer to any question. if u are replying this post from Nigeria i would easily forgive u,but would also advice u read more and get informed better, but if u live in the US and u r asking this question, i would say i am highly disappointed and hope it was a slip of tongue.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by sayso: 7:47am On Jul 14, 2011
@Roland17,hope you are not 17?it's happening in the states ok,but in naija,the trend is coming fast.
There is a competition out there,"who is better than mine"among mothers,so the wearing of
* Tighter  pants
* Exposed tops
* Exposed legs
* Who has the confidence to wear cloths without pants & Bra
* Who speaks more phonetics by waving the left hand in the air
* Who shows Mama,I can get you whatever Dad could not
and so on.

NB
I lost my maid to this antics because I could not allow her to wear boxers without pants in my house.Could you believe that!!!!!!.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by hefner: 8:17am On Jul 14, 2011
training up a child is the duty of both parents, not mothers only. kids have the "favourite" parent between the dad and mum. that "favourite" parent should be core in training that child, that is not to say the other parent should hands off. as for me, i prefer my dad, most of my training gotten from my dad not withstanding the fact that i am female. let's erase the thought that training up a child is the mum's duty only, if we do, abuses and vices are bound to happen and be on the increase, it's dad's and mum's duty.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Sike(m): 8:55am On Jul 14, 2011
dayokanu:

dayokanu:

I Hope So!
dayokanu:

dayokanu:

I Hope So!
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by kpolli(m): 9:00am On Jul 14, 2011
how old is the child
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by kukus01(m): 9:22am On Jul 14, 2011
kpolli:

how old is the child
Did u read the post? or u just decided to bump in and ask a question, i suggest you retrace your steps back to know how serious the situation is here!
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by executinal(m): 10:07am On Jul 14, 2011
kpolli:

how old is the child

8 yrs so? angry
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by N101: 10:38am On Jul 14, 2011
sayso:

@Roland17,hope you are not 17?it's happening in the states ok,but in naija,the trend is coming fast.
There is a competition out there,"who is better than mine"among mothers,so the wearing of
* Tighter  pants
* Exposed tops
* Exposed legs
* Who has the confidence to wear cloths without pants & Bra
* Who speaks more phonetics by waving the left hand in the air
* Who shows Mama,I can get you whatever Dad could not
and so on.

NB
I lost my maid to this antics because I could not allow her to wear boxers without pants in my house.Could you believe that!!!!!!.

Good thing you had the presence of mind to discipline your maid, some people would have taken advantage of the situation and not looked back.  I know of men who have chased these girls from their gate because of the way they dress or some of the comments they made to them.

Have you not seen those small girls who go hawking on the streets who get propositioned by old men?
Have you not seen those small girls who sell stuff going into people's houses where there is no madam or madam is away?
Haven't you notice the young girls (barely in their teens) with belle?

This is not some new trend introduced outside into Nigeria.  As long as people are willing to put their girl children to selling on the streets, some of these girls will not see their own value beyond the kobo they make, whatever way they can make it.  Some children are too money-hungry and will willingly sleep with even their parent's friends for what they can give them, without their parents suspecting a thing.

The value system in some places is totally shot.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Omolola1(f): 10:43am On Jul 14, 2011
This is serious! If the mother had time for her child, she would have no cause to ask such naughty questions.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Reanaa: 11:03am On Jul 14, 2011
The little girl should be medically examined too
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by rully2: 11:51am On Jul 14, 2011
They are a lot of cases like this that some people do not give much regard to, times are changing and we have more working mothers now, i think a great deal of effort should be taken to ensure that such minors are not abused and taken advantage of.

Most women leave their children to the care of family members, neighbours and friends alike. We have to be careful cos we cannot say for sure what anyone is up to.

I'v always said that i will do anything it takes to make sure i care for my children first hand!
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by emenim(m): 12:36pm On Jul 14, 2011
See what you are asking us, ok now what do you expect from a mother who leaves the house as early as 4:30am, to beat the traffic daily. Only to toil day and night without selling a dime, and will have to face the high cost of transport in order to come back home. How will she know what has transpired in her absence. The bad Government who has not done anything to improve on the economy is to blamed for all these. If you consider what the so called senate and house of assembly takes home as their sitting allowance you weep for this Nation.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by blacklion(m): 12:46pm On Jul 14, 2011
N101:

Good thing you had the presence of mind to discipline your maid, some people would have taken advantage of the situation and not looked back.  I know of men who have chased these girls from their gate because of the way they dress or some of the comments they made to them.

Have you not seen those small girls who go hawking on the streets who get propositioned by old men?
Have you not seen those small girls who sell stuff going into people's houses where there is no madam or madam is away?
Haven't you notice the young girls (barely in their teens) with belle?

This is not some new trend introduced outside into Nigeria.  As long as people are willing to put their girl children to selling on the streets, some of these girls will not see their own value beyond the kobo they make, whatever way they can make it.  Some children are too money-hungry and will willingly sleep with even their parent's friends for what they can give them, without their parents suspecting a thing.

The value system in some places is totally shot.

Very true indeed especially the skimpy dressing these days by omo alatas. Like they are competing with campus babes for aristo runs grin
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by MMM2(m): 1:22pm On Jul 14, 2011
Op
Even fathers should help raise children.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 3:00pm On Jul 14, 2011
@sayso
am not 17, 17 represents my birthday which is july 17, i sincerly appreciate ur reply.

@executinal
i am perturbed by ur response, it does not show any concern, it could happen to anyone.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 3:31pm On Jul 14, 2011
@eminem
have u read ur post properly to realize that those excuses are as flimsy as telling a baby u can not have breast milk because i want it and ur father depends on it. is bad economy a veritable reason not to properly bring up ur child? the issue is parents are overlooking that function of bringing up a child as not necessarily important anymore, there is a gradual drift in the perception of child upbringing in today's modern world. The government can not train ur kids for u, parents must accept responsibilities for failures in the home, the influence of the government and other variables are secondary and peripheral to the issue.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by CHANCEMAN: 4:09pm On Jul 14, 2011
The issue is more than a lack of motherly care, these kind of things are what you expect when there is a breakdown of family values. Is that cousin not supposed to be a part of the childs's support /care system.If you ask them now they will tell you that the problem is as a result of single parent families but is that peculiar to America only?
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by ronkebp(f): 4:16pm On Jul 14, 2011
Roland17, i really understand your point of view and the reasons you have posted these on NL. On one of the threads i posted that it would be better for a woman to sit home and take care of her child and home, but some people said no, that they preferred their wives to work and also take care of the home at the same time. Women are human beings that can only do a little, i bet, that some women if they had the abilities to be at different places at the same time, they would not leave their houses and children. But we cannot eat our cake and still have it, one thing would always suffer, the home front, kids or your job, you cannot have the three.
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by lovemoi2(f): 4:35pm On Jul 14, 2011
Yah blame the WOMAN for everything And Why do i have this feeling that it was your joystick she kissed!! rolleyess msheew!
Re: Are Today's Mothers Doing Enough To Protect The Female Child? by Roland17(m): 4:43pm On Jul 14, 2011
@lovemoi2
all in a quest to protect the female gender especially kids who have become vulnerable preys amongst today's masked predators, i receive this unfair accusation and insult from a woman, what an irony, thanks all the same for the post.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need To Adopt A Baby Asap To Save My Marriage / Is It A Must To Circumcise Your Baby Boy? / Should I Ask My Wife More Questions On The Paternity Of Our Kid?.please Advise.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.