Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,997 members, 7,866,747 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 02:05 AM

Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works (11741 Views)

Two Nigeria’s Refineries To Restart Production Before End Of Dec. 2015 –minister / The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike / ‘why Construction Of Second Niger Bridge May Be Put On Hold For Now’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by obi147: 10:26pm On Mar 16, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Even the ones that did not raise a finger on the issue of second Niger Bridge since 1979 has always gotten your votes. I dont understand your anger on this issue. Is it because Peter Obi's name was mentioned?

Previous report was that the Bridge will be completed in 2017 but I was pleasantly surprised to hear the minister say it will be completed in 2015.

The project is worth about N100billion, out of which FG will bring N30billion and Julius Berger N70billion.

I'm very sure of the construction of the bridge under this dispensation because the project is part of SURE-P. Any project under SURE-P is a forgone conclusion because the funds, which is usually the major cause of abandoned projects in Nig, is READY at hand.

However, what I dont know is whether they'll meet up with the target of completing it in 2015.
since julius berger will build and operate it for 25yrs plus with the AIMS financing, i see them completing the project in a modest time frame...MONEY MATTER wink
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by ewet: 10:48pm On Mar 16, 2013
Syncan:

Please find out what makes a road federal or state.
We all know the existing Niger bridge is a federal rd. Are you telling me tht the state govt can not decide to build another naija bridge whether 2nd or 3rd or 4th?of course they can as long as they can raise the funds and get the applicable legislation. There can be as many bridges as possible over the river naija.
so many roads tht used to be Trunk A roads in Lagos have been taken over by the state i.e Ikorodu rd now funsho williams,obalende, Lagos badagry express rd,so many roads on the island e.t.c.
If The sate govt had been proactive enuf and proffer options to the FG they wiil be more than willing to support them in building the 2nd niger bridge as a state/ppp project,an example at hand is the light rail project in Lagos. Its a tripartite arrangement btw the FG,LASG and world bank.
Had LASG just sat on thr butt and kept whinning abt the FG not doin anythng abt inadequate transport insfractructure would tht projeect hav seen the light of day.

1 Like

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Emade(m): 11:09pm On Mar 16, 2013
Dem don start another story
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by ba7man(m): 11:29pm On Mar 16, 2013
Sincere9gerian is keeping us in touch with the plans of his ...................................(Fill in the blank).
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by taharqa: 12:02am On Mar 17, 2013
thelastPope:

I am quite disappointed with your post. I understand if you are skeptical, but your analysis is what I have a problem with. You cannot compare Akpabio who is 6 years on the job to GEJ's 2 years. That is absurd.

Secondly, if you know anything about engineering and government processes, you should know how long it will take to plan a bridge like that. The process of design and geological survey alone cannot take less than a year. It is not a road, it is a bridge. Also, the time is will take to source funds for the project. These funds are not lying idle somewhere. The government had to concession it. Do you know how long that can take? I am actually amazed they could get it concessioned in less than 2 years, considering the amount involved. It is important that before we comment on these things, we must try and google to at least get an idea how it works elsewhere. It is like the foool yesterday who was shouting that the train took 30 hours and I had to show him that Texas to California on train takes 2 days for their locomotive trains. GEJ is not perfect and can never be because he is human, but what I mostly find disturbing and faulty with most of the criticisms I see is that they are not based on fact or on fair judgement. The earliest I can blame GEJ for not commencing work on the second Niger bridge will be 3 years. To be fair, no Nigerian president has embarked on so much activities at the same time in 2 years like GEJ. In fact, most have not even come close. In 2 years, OBJ as civilian president was still arranging his office desk. Buhari ruled almost 2 years and his only achievement was to flog people on the streets. Shagari did nothing. Babangida in 2 years was still trying to justify why we should accept military rule. Abacha? Nothing to wite about. Only OBJ in his military rule is comparable.

WORD!!!

In fact, Dat's all.

I dare any person to een attempt to dispute the @Emboldened.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by IGBOSON1: 12:09am On Mar 17, 2013
Still no design of the bridge for us to see ? Looks like they're still in the bluffing and noise-making phase.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by IGBOSON1: 12:24am On Mar 17, 2013
all4naija: Two years to complete such a short bridge? World tallest and one of the longest bridges in the world took 3 years and few months, The MILLAU VIADUCT! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Link
HERE

1.Image of Millau Viaduct.

2.Image of Millau Viaduct.

3. Image of Millau Viaduct.

4. Video of Millau Viaduct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIOFgQc3EU4

^^^Nna mehn! That first pic......na bridge be that abi na paradise?

Pray, can someone tell what exactly made the minister go down to Onitsha and Asaba yesterday?......no flagging-off yet; no bridge design yet; nothing yet set in stone; but plenty turenchi.

To me it looks like a bit of 'eye service'......i could be wrong though.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 1:18am On Mar 17, 2013
obi147: since julius berger will build and operate it for 25yrs plus with the AIMS financing, i see them completing the project in a modest time frame...MONEY MATTER wink
100 billion is equivalent to 630.4million dollars. I sorry for the way that country is been milked!

Millau Viaduct cost 594.03million dollars.Still cost less than what Niger-bridge would cost at 630.4million .

Millau Viaduct image.

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by ba7man(m): 6:29am On Mar 17, 2013
all4naija: 100 billion is equivalent to 630.4million dollars. I sorry for the way that country is been milked!

Millau Viaduct cost 594.03million dollars.Still cost less than what Niger-bridge would cost at 630.4million .

Millau Viaduct image.

Wow!!!....So that means we can afford to construct such an awe inspiring bridge over the Niger river. I'm waiting to see the proposed design.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 7:23am On Mar 17, 2013
all4naija: 100 billion is equivalent to 630.4million dollars. I sorry for the way that country is been milked!

Millau Viaduct image.

Show us the link to your estimates and bring out the quotes of the aspect of the cost. You cant just throw out figures and expect us to swallow it just like that.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Wellloaded: 10:01am On Mar 17, 2013
Am tired of hearing about this second niger bridge, it is a project that should been completed a long time ago and even at that i would see the bridge completed before i believe them. I hope it is julius beger that is the construction company
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by IGBOSON1: 12:31pm On Mar 17, 2013
ba7man: Wow!!!....So that means we can afford to construct such an awe inspiring bridge over the Niger river. I'm waiting to see the proposed design.

^^^Don't raise your hopes too high mate!.....this is Nigeria remember wink? Mention just one awe inspiring national monument/building in this country......more so when it's to be constructed at Onitsha/Asaba and not Abuja!
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by IGBOSON1: 12:33pm On Mar 17, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Show us the link to your estimates and bring out the quotes of the aspect of the cost. You cant just throw out figures and expect us to swallow it just like that.

^^^This might help:
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=cost%20of%20millau%20viaduct%20bridge&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMillau_Viaduct&ei=36lFUeCyEO7M0AWY14HwCQ&usg=AFQjCNFyq9QEoennq83bzXUt-gdypXhV2g
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 17, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Thank you for requesting for sources about Millau Viaduct Bridge cost. The sources are:

1. ila-chateau.com: link ---> HERE.

2. Wikipedia: link ---> HERE.

3. Michel Virlogeux(Structural Engineer of Millau Viaduct): link ---> HERE. Click on cost tab to get information on the cost of the bridge.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by KnowAll(m): 7:23pm On Mar 17, 2013
[size=16pt]Where is the renderings for this bridge. How is it going to look like. Are they building a bridge without them knowing how it would look like. This news na wash, 419[/size] shocked
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 7:30pm On Mar 17, 2013
KnowAll: [size=16pt]Where is the renderings for this bridge. How is it going to look like. Are they building a bridge without them knowing how it would look like. This news na wash, 419[/size] shocked
These are images available on-line. Very ordinary and nothing spectacular about it at all.

3. Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXRW2pSuHpo
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 17, 2013
all4naija: These are images available on-line. Very ordinary and not nothing spectacular about it at all.

3. Video

But the bridge was constructed in 2004. This is 2013
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 17, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
But the bridge was constructed in 2004. This is 2013
Can you, please, explain in details what you are trying to talk about?
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 17, 2013
That disgusting fellow called Sincere9gerian is just a Liar and a Pathetic eeEdiot.
A wretched Scumbag.

* Spits on his putrid corpse in the gutter in advance*
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by slimghost(m): 10:55pm On Mar 17, 2013
Kamanda: That disgusting fellow called Sincere9gerian is just a Liar and a Pathetic eeEdiot.
A wretched Scumbag.

* Spits on his putrid corpse in the gutter in advance*

Why do u always sound frustrated and disgruntled? Are you a truck pusher in real life?

1 Like

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by IGBOSON1: 11:19pm On Mar 17, 2013
all4naija: These are images available on-line. Very ordinary and nothing spectacular about it at all.

3. Video

^^^I just hope it's not that basic cheapass thing they're planning to construct with 100 billion naira?.....it doesn't get any more 'basic' than that!
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 11:32pm On Mar 17, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^I just hope it's not that basic cheapass thing they're planning to construct with 100 billion naira?.....it doesn't get any more 'basic' than that!
I am not actually sure about that. Those are the images and video available on-line relating to second Niger-Bridge.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 11:50pm On Mar 17, 2013
all4naija: Can you, please, explain in details what you are trying to talk about?
About the cost of the Millau Viaduct Bridge vs N100billion for second Niger bridge. You said the Millau Viaduct Bridge was cheaper and provided some links. Now from the links, I discovered the bridge was built in 2004.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Nobody: 12:13am On Mar 18, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
About the cost of the Millau Viaduct Bridge vs N100billion for second Niger bridge. You said the Millau Viaduct Bridge was cheaper and provided some links. Now from the links, I discovered the bridge was built in 2004.
Yes! It was constructed in 2004 and that bridge is the tallest, one of the longest(at 2.46km) and the best bridge in the world. Even at increase in cost with time,there could be evidence as technology advances in correlation with cost it could be cheaper to build now than before.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by KnowAll(m): 4:16am On Mar 18, 2013
I hope d bridge with not be too low, considering ships would be passing under enroute to d ports in idah, lokoja & Baro in Niger state & of course Onitsha port in Anambra State. Because that rendering picture looks a bit low making me suspect large ocean going ship might not be able to navigate under d bridge successfully.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by ba7man(m): 6:04am On Mar 18, 2013
IGBO-SON:

Yeah, that bridge's design is just plain depressing.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by raumdeuter: 7:23pm On Dec 13, 2014
2 weeks more to 2015

2 Likes

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Boss13: 7:28pm On Dec 13, 2014
raumdeuter:
2 weeks more to 2015

One of the failed promises grin

3 Likes

Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by Abagworo(m): 7:37pm On Dec 13, 2014
Even a baby born today knows that Jonathan cannot do anything. What amazes me is how his tanians shift the blame to Governors. Aba is one of the areas where the FG failed the citizens in everything but used the media to put it all on Theodore Orji who quietly accepted because he cant withstand the heat of being in opposition.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:44pm On Dec 13, 2014
I only look forward to Jonathan's going on exile since he said he would do that if he fails to complete the bridge.
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by raumdeuter: 7:47pm On Dec 13, 2014
Re: Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works by tit(f): 7:52pm On Dec 13, 2014
the minister has even port to APC

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Insecurity: Northern Elders Warn Govt Over Imposition Of Curfew, Restrictions / Ebenezer Babatope: Wike Will Never Support Tinubu's Presidential Bid / Abia Governorship: Igbokwe Sues PDP, INEC, Asks Court To Nullify Ahiwe Candidacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.