Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,484 members, 7,812,507 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? (1173 Views)

Top 5 Most Popular Nigerian Websites By Web Traffic / The Best Nigerian Websites You Have Seen! / The Traffic Rank Of The Most Popular Nigerian Websites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Afam4eva(m): 8:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
[size=15pt]As a web host, i have experienced a mass exodus in website owners recklessly abandoning their websites and at times i wonder what inspired them to create one in the first place. I have a lot of former clients who were enthusiastic to setup a website and after just a year or at most two years, their interest fizzle out and they don't even bother to renew it. It's also interesting to note that most Nigerian websites that i knew 10 years ago no longer exist. I also checked a particular thread on Nairaland where people were asked to submit the links to their blogs and i kid you not, i checked most of the blogs and majority of them were no longer active. Infact, i don't know of any Nigerian site that is over 10 years old. That brings me to the question, why don't Nigerian websites last?[/size]
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Seun(m): 9:11pm On Mar 16, 2013
@Afam4eva: Many of them don't last because the owners don't derive any real benefit from them, so they are not motivated to continue paying to keep them updated.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by yawatide(f): 5:31am On Mar 17, 2013
IMHO, it's because when they come up with an idea, especially a money-making one, their first thought is not how to groom the site so that it can grow organically but is on how to make $1m the next day so they can follow drive SUV, build mansion, etc. In other words, they fail to see the forest for the trees. Secondly, as a purely consumer society that doesn't produce anything, we see a site like facebook, replicate and again, hope to make $1m the next day. Of course, if you ask them, they will feign humility and give you quotes by Zuckerberg, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs but deep down, they know (and they know that you know) that their true motive is to make that $1m the next day. How many threads have you seen on here about "I have signed up for google ads but haven't received my money yet" or "problem with my blog" or "visit my blog and give comments"?

Remember, in Nigeria, 25% of those of working age (15-65) are out of work. This unfortunately creates an "incentive" to come up with the hopefully next big thing that will provide instantaneous results.

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by soloqy: 2:27pm On Mar 17, 2013
Websites that know what they are doing and who use their company emails in all communications, will always remain and only close down if the Company itself folds.

Since they use the website and website domain emails for all business transactions and communications, the only way they would stop renewing their hosting is if the company folds up. Blogs will keep closing down because , sorry to say, most of them started because they saw the likes of Linda Ikeji and bella. We see numerous threads here with people opening forums that imitate Nairaland and expecting to start making money just like Nairaland/bella/Ikeji, forgetting that these aforementioned sites have been operating for years some even close to a decade.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 17, 2013
I think most don't put creativity in their design. New ideas,new products,new ways of doing business etc. People get interested in things that are different from the usual.

Lack of patience is also another factor. The major interest of most nigerian developers is how to become zuck or seun the following day forgetting that it requires a long term investment to get there.

However, alot them are just young people without any strong financial base. so it's difficult for them to keep paying to host a site that is not generating cash in the short term.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 17, 2013
Part of the reason is because internet literacy level is still low in Nigeria. Many websites won't shut down if 80% of Nigerians had regular and easy access to the internet. Most of the page views successful Nigerian websites get are from outside.
Thank God for BIS most Nigerians would still be far away from the internet.
Very few Nigerians even use google.
Just try the google search keywords from Nigeria and you will hardly get anything.
Would you believe some Nigerians actually google search "facebook login" to gain access to facebook itself. It's just amazing how backward we still are.
For me, I'm very interested in e-commerce websites but the chances of that succeeding is still very slim. Even companies with huge budgets are backing out. Check dealfish for instance.
It's a shame that we still have a whole lot of catching up to do in the world of ICT.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by databoy247(m): 12:27am On Mar 18, 2013
Brand_new:
For me, I'm very interested in e-commerce websites but the chances of that succeeding is still very slim. Even companies with huge budgets are backing out. Check dealfish for instance.
It's a shame that we still have a whole lot of catching up to do in the world of ICT.
On the issue of e-commerce, i think Nigerians are getting it wrong..they are making a big mistake. Companies set up e-commerce websites and throw in huge budgets for ad campaigns WITHOUT caring for ROI. Just like Yawa said, such sites must be allowed to grow by itself and thereby building huge customer base. The lifeline of any e-commerce website is its customer base. If that cant be achieved then they are bound to go bankrupt.

I believe e-bay, amazon, etc didn't start today and tomorrow begin spending over 1m dollars in budget for ads. Whats the essence of spending huge budgets (like 500k) for ads and at the end of the day making 10 sales with profit margin of less than 0.0002% of 500k?

If you cant do it then dont venture into it cos you want your e-commerce site to be an amazon-wanna-be. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Afam4eva(m): 12:34am On Mar 18, 2013
databoy247:
On the issue of e-commerce, i think Nigerians are getting it wrong..they are making a big mistake. Companies set up e-commerce websites and throw in huge budgets for ad campaigns WITHOUT caring for ROI. Just like Yawa said, such sites must be allowed to grow by itself and thereby building huge customer base. The lifeline of any e-commerce website is its customer base. If that cant be achieved then they are bound to go bankrupt.

I believe e-bay, amazon, etc didn't start today and tomorrow begin spending over 1m dollars in budget for ads. Whats the essence of spending huge budgets (like 500k) for ads and at the end of the day making 10 sales with profit margin of less than 0.0002% of 500k?

If you cant do it then dont venture into it cos you want your e-commerce site to be an amazon-wanna-be. cool
You can't blame them, can you? You don't expect a company to allow their eCommerce site grow naturally because the income will be very measly compared with the running cost. These companies just have to do a better homework. They come into the Nigerian market treating it like the foreign market without realizing that ecommerce in Nigeria is yet to kick off especially as it relates to tangible products.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Nobody: 6:37am On Mar 18, 2013
The big question is, is Nigeria ready for the e-commerce tupe of business? What are the chances of my business survival if I decide to open an online clothing store for "top labels". How much patronage am I likely to get without a huge advertising bugdet.
How well are sites like sunglasses.com.ng doing presently? Will taxipark.com.ng still be around in another year. These are questions I'm yet to find answers for.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:34am On Mar 18, 2013
[b]Because when we open one now, our Oga at the top will now say NO! Its another one.. undecided Just Kidding o!! grin Before you ban me..

Anyways, I think internet business in Nigeria is yet to gain grounds fully. If you take a cencus of most of the websites that close down early, they are most likely to be those that ofeer service via the internet (e-commerce sites). Nigerians are still rather skeptical of putting out their informations online (i.e bank card details et. al). Secondly, most Nigerians dont trust the products being sold by most of these sites. For example, I have visited Sunglasses.com.ng, I was looking for a particular Ray-ban wayfarers sunglasses, which I found on their site. Guess what, I ended up buying it online from the U.K instead simply because I didnt trust that what they were selling werent cheap knock-offs.

My advise to e-commerce site owners is patience. Allow your site and the products and services it offers sell itself. Find a way of reassuring customers of the quality of the products & services being sold and if possible, offer money-back guarantees. Also, they should adopt the methodology of (I think its Jumia or so) that does the Pay upon delivery system.

Im sure a site like quickteller (which is the only Nigerian website outside of my bank site that I have ever put my card details on) didnt have it easy at the start.[/b]
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Ejine(m): 10:48am On Mar 18, 2013
http://www.bigbrothernigeria.com is dead.
It died in 2010
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Afam4eva(m): 6:20pm On Mar 18, 2013
Ejiné: http://www.bigbrothernigeria.com is dead.
It died in 2010
This one can be forgiven because the show no longer exists or is hibernating for now.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by darkhand: 7:12am On Mar 19, 2013
Stop calling them websites, they are billboards. A website is something business owners use to showcase their products, INTERACT with their existing customers and serve as a major LEAD GENERATION vehicle. Most websites in Nigeria just exist for the web designer to add to his or her portfolio.

This post by Seun says it all.

Seun: @Afam4eva: Many of them don't last because the owners don't derive any real benefit from them, so they are not motivated to continue paying to keep them updated.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by Afam4eva(m): 3:24pm On Mar 27, 2013
centje: I think most don't put creativity in their design. New ideas,new products,new ways of doing business etc. People get interested in things that are different from the usual.

Lack of patience is also another factor. The major interest of most nigerian developers is how to become zuck or seun the following day forgetting that it requires a long term investment to get there.

However, alot them are just young people without any strong financial base. so it's difficult for them to keep paying to host a site that is not generating cash in the short term.
You're spot on especially with the third paragraph.
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Websites Last? by mrperfect(m): 11:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
Because many open website because they see others opening it.

(1) (Reply)

Get Reseller Sms Website for Just N5000 + Free Domain & Hosting - Obewe Sms / How To Get An Insane Web Traffic In Less Than 2hours / Newly Approved Unverified Naija Adsense For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.