Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,290 members, 7,860,695 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:27 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 4 - Travel (144) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 4 (592482 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (444) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by nicemax: 3:09pm On Jun 27, 2013
@ all, please kindly forward a copy of a sponsorship letter via my email address,

nicemax38@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Nicemax.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by earthgreeners(m): 3:47pm On Jun 27, 2013
No medicals so far dis week.. Kai, sept is fast appròaching

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by azeezwl: 5:10pm On Jun 27, 2013
let's just continue praying and hope for the best by keeping our fingers crossed. Testimonies shall not pass us by the grace of God. Amen!

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by rilly2000: 6:09pm On Jun 27, 2013
azeezwl:

Dear bro, the best place I can refer you to in order to get the necessary list of docs the CDHC wants you to submit with your application is to click on this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5269ETOC.asp

Take your time and peruse through it. Note: if your sponsor have a landed property, it's an added advantage, dont worry yourself if you dont have one, it's not compulsory. Note: PUT GOD FIRST IN EVERYTHING YOU DO.
thanks alot bro.....
i still have a little issue... i tried doing the online application, so, during this process when i was about signing up on the MyCIC website, i made a mistake while writhing my name, so, now i dont know if i can procceed like that or i should re-register since i haven't submitted any application yet......
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by teexzle: 7:51pm On Jun 27, 2013
rilly2000:
thanks alot bro.....
i still have a little issue... i tried doing the online application, so, during this process when i was about signing up on the MyCIC website, i made a mistake while writhing my name, so, now i dont know if i can procceed like that or i should re-register since i haven't submitted any application yet......
This is a funny question..how on earth will you proceed wen u wrote ur name in error and there is opportunity to coRrect such..
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Shadams(m): 8:50pm On Jun 27, 2013
rilly2000:
thanks alot bro.....

Since you are yet to submit, bro, I guess you should just correct and proceed. Good luck, man!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Shadams(m): 8:59pm On Jun 27, 2013
earthgreeners: No medicals so far dis week.. Kai, sept is fast appròaching

I suspect we may just have to continue to calm our nerves. Tomorrow is still there; who knows, the applications that were received in early May might just open the flood gates of medicals as from Friday. Meanwhile, let's stay positive. I also applied via VAC on the 7th of May. I am just waiting and praying, recalling that worry adds nothing to me. One love.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by nicemax: 9:09pm On Jun 27, 2013
I need letter of sponsorhip, please kindly forward a copy of a letter of intent or format to my email addres nicemax68@yahoo.com
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by galala123(m): 9:15pm On Jun 27, 2013
LIST OF MEDICAL HOPEFULS (Fall 2013)

1) accra2005: April 2
2) Kunle-akogun: April 4
3) efewhoa: April 18
4) Ceo mr cash: April 25
5) dommakavelli: May 2
6) luckydon: May 2
7) nuendo: May 2
8 ) bumfem: May 6
9) Shadams: may 6
10) galala123: May 7
11) kjbobo: May 7
12) azeezwl: May 8
13) Pwunmi: May 10
14) Imadebaby: Please advise again!!!
15) vooz : May 23
16) tebenezer80: May 28
17) freshdude: May 30
18) ancient1: June 4
19) Aduke02: June 8
20) earthgreeners: June 11
21) efosa12345: June 13
22) smile13: June 21
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by galala123(m): 9:17pm On Jun 27, 2013
Welcome on board Shadams. tomorrow is another day.... and then perhaps another extra looooooonnnng weekend again. Lets hope for some good news tomorrow to keep our spirits up through the weekend.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by azeezwl: 9:31pm On Jun 27, 2013
rilly2000:
thanks alot bro.....

There's always a room for adjustment, dont proceed, correct it before you proceed.

This is for the people in the house, it sounds horrible when a question is being asked and a jest is being preceded before an answer, pls lets watch it! Besides, nobody is infallible.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by azeezwl: 9:40pm On Jun 27, 2013
I want everybody to take a "chill pill" let's calm our nerves, remember our "worries" and "anxieties" wont do a thing! let's hope for the best and keep our fingers crossed! Be Positive!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Shadams(m): 9:49pm On Jun 27, 2013
galala123: Welcome on board Shadams. tomorrow is another day.... and then perhaps another extra looooooonnnng weekend again. Lets hope for some good news tomorrow to keep our spirits up through the weekend.

Oga mi, great work u guys are doing here! Kudos to Siga, and others too. I actually applied on the 6th of May; although I doubt if this make much difference. I am headed for the Uni of Sask for PhD. Good news beckon...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by dommakavelli: 10:06pm On Jun 27, 2013
Some1 dat went to CDHC yesterday said, they're still on April 11th apps...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Shadams(m): 10:07pm On Jun 27, 2013
galala123: Welcome on board Shadams. tomorrow is another day.... and then perhaps another extra looooooonnnng weekend again. Lets hope for some good news tomorrow to keep our spirits up through the weekend.

Oga mi, great work u guys are doing here! Kudos to Siga, and others too. For the #awaiting medical#, list I actually applied on the 6th of May; although I doubt if this makes much difference. I am headed for the Uni of Sask for PhD. Good news beckon...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by idusystem: 10:19pm On Jun 27, 2013
Sorry, ought to be posted on US Student visa.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by FastTracker: 4:26am On Jun 28, 2013
Excellent news! Keep us posted smiley
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by ceomrcash: 6:33am On Jun 28, 2013
dommakavelli: Some1 dat went to CDHC yesterday said, they're still on April 11th apps...

Is it dt April applicants r so much dt thy cant fasten d process? Wel lets hope 4d best...oluwa is involved!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:58am On Jun 28, 2013
Let's see how next week looks like. Chill pill working
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Shadams(m): 9:18am On Jun 28, 2013
#Canada PhD: my thoughts!

Meanwhile for many silent observers and fact seekers, this may be useful. I thought I could help some folks with info on how to get a supervisor for doctorate, based on my own experience, which, by the way, is not peculiar.

Let me start on the note that, like many of you, I am a Christian who believes in God's will. He actually inspired my every step, and you will need him all the way, till u get to Canada.

Having said that, I ought to let u know that PhDs in Canada are fully funded for the first four years, and it is usually between 4-6yrs. With this in mind, you could appreciate what lies ahead of you in terms of the need for persistence, tact and strategy.

Identify which Canadian schools u want. I would counsel you to look to areas that are not very populated. Those are the kinds of places where u get admission easily. Saskatoon (with two major public universities- UofRegina and UofSask) is an example. Focussing on top schools like McGill or Toronto is fine too if your results and other documents can withstand the competition. I applied to the Univ of Calgary but was not recommended for admission. I guess I could not convince them my UG and masters degree were directly relevant to the course I had applied for. Watch that too.

Then u would need to read the profile of your intended department, and do a mail to the graduate chair. This email is an enquiry: you want to describe your past and present research, having introduced yourself, then u go on to ask about the possibility of some faculty supervising you. This mail is an intro. It should sell your research brand, ask questions, and it should be short. Try to copy the graduate admin too, or some other person. U could, in addition, do a mail to a faculty whose research areas are similar to yours. One or all of them should reply.

Please have your documents intact, and keep an eye on deadlines. Most, if not all September (Fall) resumptions close around January 7-15 and they are the ones that assure on funding, usually about CAD17-20k. January resumptions might not be fund-guaranteed!

If you do your home work well, you may not even need an agent. I say this with utmost regard for the work of many honest agents out there. Just understand the psyche of our friends abroad and their insistence on merit and excellence.

Don't forget that different folks have diverse experiences, and many would advise from the prism of their own realities. All I have outlined, therefore, are not absolutes, but I believe u could find some of them useful.

I hope you do, (wo)man! All the best.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by Trippeji(m): 9:33am On Jun 28, 2013
Pls i really need assistance here and i know i can find it from you guys. Pls i want to apply for school in Canada where i can study bt i dnt knw hw to go abot it. I want to study at d master"s level pls assist me. U cn send me an email pls to ejimaduchristian2@gmail.com
it s urgent
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by onuawuchi: 9:58am On Jun 28, 2013
Trippeji: Pls i really need assistance here and i know i can find it from you guys. Pls i want to apply for school in Canada where i can study bt i dnt knw hw to go abot it. I want to study at d master"s level pls assist me. U cn send me an email pls to ejimaduchristian2@gmail.com
it s urgent
www.4icu.org/ca/‎ That's your one stop shop.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by dotman(m): 10:00am On Jun 28, 2013
teexzle:
Msc finance in which school and did u apply ursef or via agent

St Mary's University in Halifax and yes i applied myself
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by onuawuchi: 10:21am On Jun 28, 2013
Shadams, thanks for your wonderful tips. Really not easy to get into a doctoral program in Canada. You must have added lots academic master pieces to get their attention.I'm sure the consulate will respect that; particularly for an applicant coming from our part of the world.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by GboyegaD(m): 10:22am On Jun 28, 2013
Shadams:
I suspect we may just have to continue to calm our nerves. Tomorrow is still there; who knows, the applications that were received in early May might just open the flood gates of medicals as from Friday. Meanwhile, let's stay positive. I also applied via VAC on the 7th of May. I am just waiting and praying, recalling that worry adds nothing to me. One love.

I thought you also wanted to go the online route. Just calm your nerves, you sure will get it.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by GboyegaD(m): 10:32am On Jun 28, 2013
Shadams: #Canada PhD: my thoughts!

Meanwhile for many silent observers and fact seekers, this may be useful. I thought I could help some folks with info on how to get a supervisor for doctorate, based on my own experience, which, by the way, is not peculiar.

Let me start on the note that, like many of you, I am a Christian who believes in God's will. He actually inspired my every step, and you will need him all the way, till u get to Canada.

Having said that, I ought to let u know that PhDs in Canada are fully funded for the first four years, and it is usually between 4-6yrs. With this in mind, you could appreciate what lies ahead of you in terms of the need for persistence, tact and strategy.

Identify which Canadian schools u want. I would counsel you to look to areas that are not very populated. Those are the kinds of places where u get admission easily. Saskatoon (with two major public universities- UofRegina and UofSask) is an example. Focussing on top schools like McGill or Toronto is fine too if your results and other documents can withstand the competition. I applied to the Univ of Calgary but was not recommended for admission. I guess I could not convince them my UG and masters degree were directly relevant to the course I had applied for. Watch that too.

Then u would need to read the profile of your intended department, and do a mail to the graduate chair. This email is an enquiry: you want to describe your past and present research, having introduced yourself, then u go on to ask about the possibility of some faculty supervising you. This mail is an intro. It should sell your research brand, ask questions, and it should be short. Try to copy the graduate admin too, or some other person. U could, in addition, do a mail to a faculty whose research areas are similar to yours. One or all of them should reply.

Please have your documents intact, and keep an eye on deadlines. Most, if not all September (Fall) resumptions close around January 7-15 and they are the ones that assure on funding, usually about CAD17-20k. January resumptions might not be fund-guaranteed!

If you do your home work well, you may not even need an agent. I say this with utmost regard for the work of many honest agents out there. Just understand the psyche of our friends abroad and their insistence on merit and excellence.

Don't forget that different folks have diverse experiences, and many would advise from the prism of their own realities. All I have outlined, therefore, are not absolutes, but I believe u could find some of them useful.

I hope you do, (wo)man! All the best.

At the bolded, I think we need him beyond Canada and we do till our very last breathe on earth.
That said, your write up was very detailed as to how to go however, I will want to add that your letters of recommendation should be from a professor who knows you ability and writes well.
I for one had fears about Canada until one of my professors recommended I try it as he was willing to give me recommendation. As a result, I applied to 2 schools and were accepted and funded. One thing that caught my fancy was the openness in the letter I got from U of Waterloo saying they are admiting me based on my professors recommendation. I also think compared to the US schools, Canada has more funding opportunities for the non - science than the science based on my experience and that of a good friend. I had 7 PhD admits to US schools and most of them said they were not going to fund our 1st year while the ones which did were not giving us guaranteed funding unlike what I got from both schools I applied to in Canada.
Moreso, the idea of having a Person of Interest is nice as whenever they meet, such a person can table your case to the committee and that at least speaks for you. Lastly, for each school, tailor your statement of purpose to meet what the school has to offer so that they can easily get a professor to supervise you.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by dotman(m): 10:32am On Jun 28, 2013
Guys, May i suggest something? All medical hopefuls really really have to calm there nerves down, its really important from the medical angle.

When i went for my medicals, i was informed that my BP was a bit higher than normal and i was asked to go for further tests. Although during that period prior to my medicals, i was preparing for my CFA exam, so i haven't done any exercise in awhile, read, eat and sleep all day. However, my worrying of the visa would also have added to it.

So i suggest u really have to relax, don't worry too much, eat well, sleep exercise, stop drinking from from now till ur called, no smoking because u wld do exray, stay away from anyone smoking igbo so they dont see traces in your blood and think its you.

Thats my 2cents.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by GboyegaD(m): 10:40am On Jun 28, 2013
onuawuchi: Shadams, thanks for your wonderful tips. Really not easy to get into a doctoral program in Canada. You must have added lots academic master pieces to get their attention.I'm sure the consulate will respect that; particularly for an applicant coming from our part of the world.

PhD admits isn't easy in any part of the world even Nigeria. While most programs require written samples and some quality research experience, you can still defend your self with your written sample and stating the challenges of our environment as why you don't have any research experience perse.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by earthgreeners(m): 11:03am On Jun 28, 2013
dommakavelli: Some1 dat went to CDHC yesterday said, they're still on April 11th apps...

I refuse to beleive this info....

April 11th keeeeeee.....

I think they shld be treating late April/early May applications by now.... Cos î think most applications are received in May..

Well, me don dey put one mind for winter
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by yungsage100: 11:07am On Jun 28, 2013
@ dotman please I want to know more about the medical examination. I'll appreciate if u can send me a mail. Thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by earthgreeners(m): 11:18am On Jun 28, 2013
yung_sage100: @ dotman please I want to know more about the medical examination. I'll appreciate if u can send me a mail adeolaadesina22@gmail.com. Thank you

ask ur questions here... U need info, and expect someone to send u email..

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 4 by dotman(m): 11:20am On Jun 28, 2013
yung_sage100: @ dotman please I want to know more about the medical examination. I'll appreciate if u can send me a mail adeolaadesina22@gmail.com. Thank you

What do u want to know about the medicals, we can always share it with the house. Thats the whole idea of the forum

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (444)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.