Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,200 members, 7,811,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:55 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (182) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487028 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theDonBee: 2:07pm On Jul 06, 2013
risher ris: please house ......im just trying to check online again if i will be lucky to see any available date.but it says my limit has been exceeded and it will be reset tomorrow....WHAT DOES THIS MEANS?
There's a number of times u can check for appointment in a Day. Some sey 5 times. I suggest u search for appointment at strategic times. I'm aware of 10am Monday/Wednesday

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 2:22pm On Jul 06, 2013
babsharon:

Yeah chevron and shell
Public sector can be one of the following which are defence and security , Healthcare or Public finance firm.

Okay.. Thnx bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by spazio: 2:43pm On Jul 06, 2013
Hello Nailanders

i have a school and want to apply now but my uncle is actually sponsoring me and thereby using his statement of account.i want to find out,if i need any legal document to prove that he is my uncle and also want to know when do classes start for US undergraduate courses.

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jul 06, 2013
spazio: Hello Nailanders

i have a school and want to apply now but my uncle is actually sponsoring me and thereby using his statement of account.i want to find out,if i need any legal document to prove that he is my uncle and also want to know when do classes start for US undergraduate courses.

Thank you

U really don't av to show any legal documentation that he is your uncle. Fall semester usu start mid - late August. Classes might not start till early September though.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dnpasion(m): 2:58pm On Jul 06, 2013
Had the same problem during my interview last december but have been taking enough time this days to prepare harder and to put away all my anxiety or anything in relative to it. Sharing my good and wonderful testimony soon. Wish you and others best luck too.
risher ris: Thanks bro....that exactly what I'm doing now.I'm not too good with interviews I have to confess cos there is always this anxiety in me , though I have a very good accent.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by spazio: 2:59pm On Jul 06, 2013
annoymous:

U really don't av to show any legal documentation that he is your uncle. Fall semester usu start mid - late August. Classes might not start till early September though.

so i can go ahead and use it right??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 3:17pm On Jul 06, 2013
spazio: Hello Nairalanders..

Im new in this room ..Pls can someone pls help me on the requirements of obtaining a student visa to study in US

Join with what had been said, you got to read too. Keep reading friend.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 3:18pm On Jul 06, 2013
jonnyp: oga ontop u re very funny o,well i dey gbadu u sha.keep it up and god bless u mightly and other gurus.

My pleasure. Thanks sir. You too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 3:21pm On Jul 06, 2013
RedReact:
No be me you go Ame for; shey u neva eat Makdonods abi? Me I no wan yia dat one o. In fat, I don dey dream d Mokdonods sef.
I don miss you for here o; glad that you are back. My heart prays for you and our compatriots in the USA and with one big boy Francis wey go soon become VO for Ame embassy and hosts of others; good success to you all.

Tuale baba!!!
Iba re wan million!!!
Owo meji f'eeyan kan ni jo!!!
Imperiouxx ni o; joor o!!!

(I no be agbero o, na gintleman I be o)

Only me!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Touchboi: 3:25pm On Jul 06, 2013
Imperiouxx check your mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 3:29pm On Jul 06, 2013
spazio: Hello Nailanders

Thank you

When do you mean in bold?

Well, for all levels of tertiary education in the US:

Spring semester - Jan/Feb and lasts for the next ~ 4 months

Summer semester - May/June and lasts for the next ~ 4 months (many schools only offer research during this time)

Fall semester - Aug/Sep and lasts for the next ~ 4 months

Mind you the date they say semester starts, classes start powerfully...... nothing like 1 week of resumption doing nothing at school like they do in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 3:29pm On Jul 06, 2013
Touchboi: Imperiouxx check your mail

Replied
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by oluwatosin4us(m): 3:35pm On Jul 06, 2013
Is there anyone here going for f1 visa interview this coming week ? How are the previous intrerviews in this month .let me know
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 06, 2013
spazio:

so i can go ahead and use it right??

Yeah. U r good to go
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by oluwatosin4us(m): 3:56pm On Jul 06, 2013
annoymous:
Really?

Yeah. U r good to go
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by creme001: 6:27pm On Jul 06, 2013
Thanks a Mill bruv. Mail received..... any comment bout database or anyone going to Oregon to study... grin.. Oliver twist Yeah?!! wink
bigfrancis21:

As for your GRE part, send an empty email to selfstudy360@gmail.com. You'll receive an automatic email response containing the download links to the books you want.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Feexo: 6:48pm On Jul 06, 2013
@Babsharon, Could you send me the letter of support to sordicafis@yahoo.com? Others, what does transcript evaluation entail? At what point am I gonna need/do it? I came out with 2.9 GPA and I want to know how it will affect my GPA. I am preparing for fall 2014.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by spazio: 6:52pm On Jul 06, 2013
Can someone pls advise or give me a list of some of the universities that when you have thier admission, yet you will still be refused a visa?

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 7:01pm On Jul 06, 2013
Feexo: @Babsharon, Could you send me the letter of support to sordicafis@yahoo.com? Others, what does transcript evaluation entail? At what point am I gonna need/do it? I came out with 2.9 GPA and I want to know how it will affect my GPA. I am preparing for fall 2014.

Evaluation entails coversion of our GPA standard (5.00 or 7.00) to American standard (4.00).

You will need to check with your school if it's a requirement to get your GPA evaluated; if that's your case, you will need to have your transcript sent to WES or other recognised evaluation agencies. The schools I applied didn't ask for the evaluation, so I sent my transcript directly from my school to the US.

About your CGPA, it's kinda low and that might inhibit you in making choice of schools. However, google is your friend. Complement the low GPA with good GRE scores, working experiences and certifications in pertinent discipline.

All da best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 7:13pm On Jul 06, 2013
spazio: Can someone pls advise or give me a list of some of the universities that when you have thier admission, yet you will still be refused a visa?

Thank you

In most cases,Community Colleges.

Also, be careful about schools that don't require any standardised tests. Recently, according to VI shared in this group, one or two standardised test - GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS for graduate studies and SAT/TOEFL/IELTS for Undergraduate studies is a MUST

I know of some CCs-
VIU, Devry etc. Google am. You go see d list...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 7:18pm On Jul 06, 2013
Feexo: @Babsharon, Could you send me the letter of support to sordicafis@yahoo.com? Others, what does transcript evaluation entail? At what point am I gonna need/do it? I came out with 2.9 GPA and I want to know how it will affect my GPA. I am preparing for fall 2014.

It entails the conversion of your transcript from our 5-point scale to the US 4-point scale. Our grades when converted to US 4-point scale has the following grade equivalents, A(4 points), B+(3.5 points), B(3 points), C(2.5 points), C+(2.0 points), and F(0 points). It has no D and E like ours and all your Ds and Es are converted to C and C+ respectively thus adding more points for you to your final CGPA and thus boosting your CGPA. It usually favours many applicants, especially those that had quite a number of Ds and Es in their UG results.

This evaluation is usually required during the application stage. There are two ways to it - either the school converts it themselves or you send it to an external evaluation agency(such as WES) to evaluate first and they then will send it to your prospective school. Not all schools require external evaluation and if your school doesn't mention anything about it, don't bother yourself. Just mail it directly to the school and they'll translate it themselves.

With your CGPA of 2.90, you're likely to land between 2.90 to 3.00 on the 4-point scale, which is still not bad. Quite a number of US schools usually set 2.7/4.0 as their minimum CGPA requirement. I converted a friend's own recently who had 3.12 and his 4-point equivalent was 3.05/4.0.

@You and Other Members Who Might Benefit From This:

If you have a copy of your transcripts and want to translate and have an idea of your result on the 4-point scale, use the steps I've outlined below:

Our A is their A = 4 points on their scale
Our B is their B+ = 3.5 on their scale
C = B = 3.0
D = C+ = 2.5
E = C = 2.0
F = F = 0.

Now, tear out a sheet of paper, and change all the grade points on your transcripts from our 5-point scale to their 4-point scale, multiply each course's grade unit by the new grade point and keep. Where you had an A in a 3 unit course, instead of multiplying by 5 as usual, you multiply by 4. Where you made a B, instead of multiplying by 4 formerly you multiply by 3.5 now. Do this for each course. Your courses credit units still remain the same. Only the grade points will change here. Then sum all total grade points and divide by the total credit units of all courses from first year to final year. The answer will be your gpa on the 4-point scale.

What I just outlined for you is exactly how WES and most US schools convert our transcript to their 4-point equivalent. Below is the conversion scale for Nigeria as obtained from WES's website.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 7:44pm On Jul 06, 2013

Lisadem is on point but just †̥o add †̥o it. Evaluation can be done in two ways, either by evaluation agent ε.g WES or the school conduct in-house evaluation which means your transcript will be send †̥o them directly. Though your GPA is too low but once you can ace GRE with good score I think it will help.

Check Ur mail for the template u requested for.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 7:58pm On Jul 06, 2013
creme001: My broda, no b me... I don already get visa to vamuss!! Oregon all d way!! wink grin
I have checked and its hard coming across a school that will accept a low CGPA. Thanks for the advice bruv..
Lmao!
Bro, let your friend take and ace the GRE to make up for the low CGPA. You can check UND and Oakland uni. Goodluck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:03pm On Jul 06, 2013

Mine was converted from Nigerian CGPA of 3.68 to US 3.29 by WES. Do the maths wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 8:08pm On Jul 06, 2013
creme001: Hello house, pls i would like to find out if we have a database of schools members of Nairaland have passed through. If we do, please i would like to find out if we have anyone in Oregon State university, if we don't, i suggest we create one. It will help us network better. Secondly, could i get GRE Materials from the forum? and finally, i have a friend who finished under grad with a 2.7 CGPA from a private university. Is it possible to get into a university in America to study Networking/ computer engineering with that grade?
Thanks House!!

Lmao!
Bro, let your friend take and ace the GRE to make up for the low CGPA. You can check UND and Oakland uni. Goodluck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 06, 2013
@bigfrancis, what about how to calculate high school transcript..?
@all NLers, make una know what una go disclose for here oo..
There was this guy wey dey dv lottery section, who went 4 interview dis week.. As en number flash, he enter na so d CO mention his NL username n started asking him abt NL..
#tired...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 8:50pm On Jul 06, 2013
Amefrica: @bigfrancis, what about how to calculate high school transcript..?
There was this guy wey dey dv lottery section, who went 4 interview dis week.. As en number flash, he enter na so d CO mention his NL username n started asking him abt NL..
#tired...

NL is a well known site in nigeria and that's why I dnt encourge all these fake work experience and all here. Let's keep it real

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by oyetpel(m): 9:10pm On Jul 06, 2013
#tired...
WAT? U sure?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:19pm On Jul 06, 2013
#tired...

I have no idea about high school transcripts.
Where can I read his story? The DV 2013 lottery page?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 9:24pm On Jul 06, 2013
#tired...

Consular officer also visit Nairaland !!! LMAO
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 10:14pm On Jul 06, 2013
Hello guys,

Is it possible for someone to use the Bathroom trick at the Lagos Embassy.

Like when they call Next applicant, and I spot that wicked chinko woman or any other mean VO, then I can quickly rush to the rest room just to avoid anyone of dem grin

Is dis still possible? Because I read on previous threads here sayin that they have changed the system now and you will be assigned a ticket number and you must not miss it, if Not your appointment will be canceled...

Please who has visited the Lagos Embassy lately should pls shed more light on this issue;

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.