Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,178 members, 7,811,438 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (186) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487022 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by conyema12(m): 4:12pm On Jul 08, 2013
OjaP:

Converting the score above to the old scores,

Verbal: 470

Quantitative: 600

Your total score is 1070.

This may be a 'lil bit low if you are considering top geological schools like UT Austin, TAMU, Colorado School of Mines etc. Just consider some "safety" schools as well when shortlisting.

thanx Ojap I am considering
Univ of Houston
West Virginia Univ
Univ of Oklahoma and
Univ of Texas arlington.

Are they going to confortable with my scores.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:22pm On Jul 08, 2013
conyema12:

thanx Ojap I am considering
Univ of Houston
West Virginia Univ
Univ of Oklahoma and
Univ of Texas arlington.

Are they going to confortable with my scores.

You may want to check their minimum GRE score required for admission or email the graduate coordinators of these schools. Most of the schools usually set a minimum 1000 GRE scores but pick candidates scoring at least 1200. GRE is only a part of the application. Your SOP, recommendation letter, research interest may augment. Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by odowetalu(m): 4:24pm On Jul 08, 2013
Una wey dey say my post isn't informative na my fault? Lol That's how it went down sha.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by conyema12(m): 4:29pm On Jul 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Total of 299. Its ok but having at least a 300(with at least 150 or more on the quantitative) would have been better to be on the safer side because so many schools have 300 as their minimum.

A friend of mine had this same 299. I encouraged him to retake the test and he did and scored 302. He was so happy. He never believed he could score higher than his former. In fact, he told me pomp and plain that he wasn't writing the test again. Had to encourage him to rewrite the test and he did and aced it. He's currently on his admission application process now.

My advice to you will be to rewrite the test if you can and if the funds are there. If you can't, you can make do with the one you have though its going to limit the number of schools you can apply to unless you choose to apply to schools that don't demand for GRE and then use this your GRE result for the embassy's sake.

Honestly I will like to re write but, how to squeez out time from my very tight schedule is the issue. My job requires me to always be out of town and its really been affecting me. I had to re schedule this one a couple of times before i came down to lag to write it after so many lies at the office.
I am not going for the top notched schools. If they are ok i will rest for now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by conyema12(m): 4:30pm On Jul 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Total of 299. Its ok but having at least a 300(with at least 150 or more on the quantitative) would have been better to be on the safer side because so many schools have 300 as their minimum.

A friend of mine had this same 299. I encouraged him to retake the test and he did and scored 302. He was so happy. He never believed he could score higher than his former. In fact, he told me pomp and plain that he wasn't writing the test again. Had to encourage him to rewrite the test and he did and aced it. He's currently on his admission application process now.

My advice to you will be to rewrite the test if you can and if the funds are there. If you can't, you can make do with the one you have though its going to limit the number of schools you can apply to unless you choose to apply to schools that don't demand for GRE and then use this your GRE result for the embassy's sake.

Honestly I will like to re write but, how to squeez out time from my very tight schedule is the issue. My job requires me to always be out of town and its really been affecting me. I had to re schedule this one a couple of times before i came down to lag to write it after so many lies at the office.
I am not going for the top notched schools. If they are ok i will rest for now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2013
fidelia.john:
My Visa was denied today at abuja.

The interview went like this;
VO: goodmorning
ME: good morning sir
VO: you are going to wiu for ur masters degree?
ME: yes sir
VO:did u write any standardize test?
ME: yesI did, I did toefl and gre
Vo: let me see the gre
Me:I showed him. Though the result is low, I just handed it over to him. So he check and returned it bck to me
Vo: so your uncle his sponsoring you?
Me: yes sir
Vo: what is the assurance that ur uncle can sponsor you.
Me: he sponsored my undergarduate program and he has a good job now
Vo: how much does ur undergraduate cost?
Me: close to 2million naira

Vo: what does he do
Me: he is a petroleum engineer
Vo: can I have his stmt of acct?
Me: I gave him.( It was a scanned copy I told u abt tht I said the bank said they will send the original to the embassy
Vo: he typed on his system for a very long time and said sorry bla bla.

Sorry about your delay. Reapply again with original copies
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by conyema12(m): 4:36pm On Jul 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I am not going for the top notched schools. I will try to register for another one and write if i have the opportunity, if not i will make due with what i have now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 4:43pm On Jul 08, 2013
odowetalu: Una wey dey say my post isn't informative na my fault? Lol That's how it went down sha.

Write your actual respones not 'answered' or 'told him'
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 4:51pm On Jul 08, 2013
fidelia.john:

Me:I showed him. Though the result is low, I just handed it over to him. So he check and returned it bck to me

Me: I gave him.( It was a scanned copy I told u abt tht I said the bank said they will send the original to the embassy

I do not think your delay had anything to do with the statement of account.

Stanbic ibtc doesn't use a coloured sheet when printing out the statement.

It wasn't just your day today, pray hard and go get it next time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by winbyforce: 4:53pm On Jul 08, 2013
fidelia.john:

Sorry about the delay. I think it's the low GRE scores and scanned statement of account. Try and get the original statement. U may also want to study and re-do the GRE to boost your scores to a combined score of at least 300. If it's late for fall semester,get in touch with your school and defer your admission to spring semester.Maybe the gurus can shed more light.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 4:55pm On Jul 08, 2013
Congrats @ Odowetalu & Pawn.... I knew You'd get it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dot1(m): 5:00pm On Jul 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

usnews and other schools preview sites will only give estimate. Even the school site gives almost close to the actual cost. But the actual tuition/cost is known by the time you get to the school doing registration. The cost might be a slightly higher or lower than what's on your I-20.
Thanx Boss for d elucidation
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 5:02pm On Jul 08, 2013
fidelia.john:

I think your sponsor was the reason for ur denial. U weren't able to provide compelling reasons as to why ur uncle is the one sponsoring you. The VO would be thinking ur uncle has kids too, why would he want to sponsor u wen ur parents are still alive. Find compelling reasons as to why ur uncle would want to sponsor you or you change your sponsor.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadinus(m): 5:03pm On Jul 08, 2013
Congrats Odo and pawn, baba God naa ni.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadinus(m): 5:14pm On Jul 08, 2013
@odor n pawn,which particular vo they issue visa wella.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 5:45pm On Jul 08, 2013
@ fidelia.john, was the statement stamped and signed by the bank staff?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 5:59pm On Jul 08, 2013
obsy2020: @ fidelia.john, was the statement stamped and signed by the bank staff?
It was the photocopy of the original stamped and signed statement.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theHanafis(m): 6:06pm On Jul 08, 2013
House I'm planning to take my TOEFL test by mid August probably 10th August though I haven't register yet cos I have few questions to ask.please house do I have to get my international passport for the registration or I don't really have to get it for d registration process.am asking dis quetn because som1 told me that I don't necessarily need it for d reg. That when ever the passport is ready I can update my profile before my test date?pls need ur kind replies
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by spazio: 6:09pm On Jul 08, 2013
Hello Nailanders

I am applying to study at Bemidji State University and basically want to find out,how many years does it take to do an undergraduate degree in the US and also my fees for 2 semester is $19,775.i want to know do i need to show a statement that covers all the years i will be studying at the university or a statement that can cover me for the first 2 semester or my first year??

Thank you Members

Prompt response is highly appreciated
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 6:14pm On Jul 08, 2013
fidelia.john:

It was the photocopy of the original stamped and signed statement.

Ooh, You mean you gave the VO the photocopy of the original statement of account?.

Your uncle's account officer didn't try for you then, the last time I printed my brother's statement of account, the bank didn't even ask Me any stupid question or tell Me any rubbish.

Your uncle shouldn't have even told them what He needed it for, it's none of their business. Their own is to charge for the printing of the statement and issue it out.

What's their business with sending the statement of account to the embassy?, Who send them message?. Ptcheeeeew.....

Don't worry, You'll get it next time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 6:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
theHanafis: House I'm planning to take my TOEFL test by mid August probably 10th August though I haven't register yet cos I have few questions to ask.please house do I have to get my international passport for the registration or I don't really have to get it for d registration process.am asking dis quetn because som1 told me that I don't necessarily need it for d reg. That when ever the passport is ready I can update my profile before my test date?pls need ur kind replies

You'll need it during registration and also for admittance into the test hall.

So, I think You should just get it once and for all to avoid any delay.

Cheers!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by april29(f): 6:20pm On Jul 08, 2013
Hi house been following dis trend for a while must say its been a blessing to many especially me. Going for M̶̲̥̅̊γ̲̣̣̥ interview on wednesday (2nd attempt)i want to give M̶̲̥̅̊γ̲̣̣̥ testimony too IJN
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by spazio: 6:25pm On Jul 08, 2013
Hello Nailanders

I am applying to study at Bemidji State University and basically want to find out,how many years does it take to do an undergraduate degree in the US and also my fees for 2 semester is $19,775.i want to know do i need to show a statement that covers all the years i will be studying at the university or a statement that can cover me for the first 2 semester or my first year??

Thank you Members

Prompt response is highly appreciatedN [/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 6:29pm On Jul 08, 2013
spazio: Hello Nailanders

Thank you Members

Prompt response is highly appreciated

About your 1st question, the best place to get the full and correct information about the duration of your course is your school's website. You even forgot to mention your course, who knows, the house might know the duration.

Your second question, though the rule says You have to show a statement covering your 1st year, the house always advices prospectives to have more than the 1st year fee on the statement of account. (Preferably money covering 2 yrs)

It convinces the VO the more that You are capable...

Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 6:30pm On Jul 08, 2013
@ fidelia, I thnk that's the issue, go to the bank and let them know the harm they cost you. Please get the original stamped and signed statement of account bfor applying again. Am not sure they sent the statement to the embassy. Gudluck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 6:34pm On Jul 08, 2013
@ olarwarlay, can I av ur pin?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by spazio: 6:35pm On Jul 08, 2013
i am reading Sports Management
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Feexo: 6:41pm On Jul 08, 2013
@Babsharon, thanks for the document sent. @Lisadem, thanks for the info. @BigFrancis the Guru, thanks for the illuminating response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Walspring: 6:42pm On Jul 08, 2013
GboyegaD:

Tuition varies per school and so also does funding and cost of living however, averagely, compared to other states, cost of living is lower. You can get a good 2 bedroom apt (all bills paid) for $720 in Denton and $600 for just rent and trash in most places.

Okay.. i grab that
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 6:45pm On Jul 08, 2013
obsy2020: @ olarwarlay, can I av ur pin?

Send Me a pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 7:00pm On Jul 08, 2013
spazio: i am reading Sports Management

Ook, I personally dunno much about your course of study.

Try and check through your school's website, sure you'll find tons of info there...

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.