Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (317) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487642 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 7:48am On Aug 18, 2013
crespo67: Tanx somuch bro 4 ur quick reply and encouragement..was planning fall 2014,buh am not certain yet..my undergrad cgpa was a 3.46....so,i was rily hoping to use my gre scores to make up 4 dat...sent my transcript to WES earlier this year,buh my ish is paying 4 it from here..i don't knw if I cud use my gtbank master card to pay...I was also hoping to get a GA/TA...wiv doze scores,i aint sure if I wud get dat even if I got an admit...buh,i wudnt give up wiv d scores,wud contact a faculty at UH 2 see wat my stance wud be...tanx a lot bro.....
You can use Gtbank master card, just make sure you have money that can cover the fee in your account, paid mine last week monday through Gtbank Master card. You can pm me so that we can talk better
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 9:12am On Aug 18, 2013
Congrats Lisadem.. Welcome to USA.. By the way what was your GRE score bro?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by princeRomeo(m): 9:30am On Aug 18, 2013
Please I need to ask a question...I need an answer urgently....I collected my high school transcript from my school but they've changed principal so the signature of the current principal is on my transcript but the signature of the former principal is on my testimonial and statement of result...what if the VO see's it and think I faked it or something what will I tell the VO
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 10:46am On Aug 18, 2013
princeRomeo: Please I need to ask a question...I need an answer urgently....I collected my high school transcript from my school but they've changed principal so the signature of the current principal is on my transcript but the signature of the former principal is on my testimonial and statement of result...what if the VO see's it and think I faked it or something what will I tell the VO
Since they don't bear the same name. I think u don't have problem. Principal of α school can be change anytime the management of the school feel like or even the government schools those that too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by godG: 11:14am On Aug 18, 2013
frankie2K: Wow,that is splendid;I called an agent and he told me 40,000;from the house I learnt that the master card ATM can be activated to do so,i had to go to zenith bank to do mine,so by next week i will try it,please throw more light on how to do that

Open an account at ets.org make sure u fill the account-opening form correctly. Then call +31320239593. Be prepared for like 15minutes of call. #750-1k worth of airtime will do. The agent will ask for your names as used while opening your account, your preferred test date and center and your ATM card details. Please note that your Lastname is the same-thing as your Surname. I made a fool of myself on that while tryn to register. After the payment is made on your behalf, you will receive an e-receipt in your mail, instantly. Let me know if you still have issues. #Don't give your money to agents!!! Peace.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by samnoah(m): 11:15am On Aug 18, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]
imperiouxx:

That's your best bet.

Thanks my brother. Have read a lot useful threads already from you. I'm so glad here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by samnoah(m): 11:18am On Aug 18, 2013
bigfrancis021:

Welcome to the House, SamNoah. Your life shall never be the same again. smiley

Brother thank you Sir... Looking forward to invaluable insights from you guys as I make my decisions...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by crespo67: 11:53am On Aug 18, 2013
bigfrancis021:

3.46 will get you somewhere around 3.20/4.0. Its still above the 3.0 bench mark for most good universities in the US. As for paying for WES using your mastercard, yes you can. Kunlebal just paid for his WES translation using his GTB ATM card on monday.

Email a faculty member at UH to see what chances you stand. Your scores and GPA could get you what you want but only if you apply to less competitive schools or less-than-average schools.
Tanks so much bigfrancis...feeling very very encouraged..by less competitive schools you mean?....is UH a competitive school,what do u think my chances are wiv my scores..My first choice is actually UH,cos of d structure of my program..its actually an MEE as opposed to a MscE which most other schools offer the program in..its actually structured for professionals in the power industry..and I guess since its in Houston,there is gonna be lots of good options for internship...Thanks on the Kunle tip,wud send him a pm nw...hwz prep 4 ur travelling...tanx bro...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by crespo67: 11:56am On Aug 18, 2013
kunlebal:
You can use Gtbank master card, just make sure you have money that can cover the fee in your account, paid mine last week monday through Gtbank Master card. You can pm me so that we can talk better
Thanks bro,wud pm u now....guess av got somuch 2 get from u grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by michole21: 12:44pm On Aug 18, 2013
Please how do I re-print my appointment confirmation page....Urgent answer plzz....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nomso27(m): 12:48pm On Aug 18, 2013
@bigfrancis Thanks for ur help . . .
I dnt hv d spring 1-20 yet, so i'll shedule some time in november. . . .hw ur travel na ?

Biggi, pple say abuja'z better dan lagos in terms of interview xperience.. Is dis true ? angryMtn just dey fall hand ?

House hw una dey ? Glorious Sunday to u guys. . .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by FindOut(m): 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2013
lisadem:

Thanks Find-out. Glad God answered my fervent prayers during ramadan. Hope you are doing great and have settled in the US? #wink

@Foohard: I have same plight too ooo. My school resumes on the 26th Aug, I have 2 orientation programs scheduled for next week but yet to get a flight ticket. The price for the one I got was outrageous - 600-700k!!! Say wetin happen nau. Am still hoping I get a flight with reasonable price. God help us.

Yeah I'm still settling down but I'm doing great. Good thing you've gotten a ticket now. Those things wont start going down til month end.

michole21: Please how do I re-print my appointment confirmation page....Urgent answer plzz....

Same way you printed it the first time!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 1:38pm On Aug 18, 2013
mr swagger: Congrats Lisadem.. Welcome to USA.. By the way what was your GRE score bro?

Thanks Mr swagger.
Scores:- 300+ and AWA:- 3.5 . I no too sabi book grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by samnoah(m): 2:01pm On Aug 18, 2013
This is my situation. I plan applying for a phd program but not quite sure whether starting now towards fall 2014 will still be visible. This is because I understand most of the schools have deadline for fall semester sometimes in December and early january. I need to take toefl again cos the ones I used previously is now over the two years stipulated and I want to retake GRE to upscale my score(previously scored 302 and 3.0). Will I be rushing things if I start applying now or should I just settle for fall 2015 since most of the phd programs only admit for fall semester? I need you guys seasoned advise on this please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 18, 2013
samnoah: This is my situation. I plan applying for a phd program but not quite sure whether starting now towards fall 2014 will still be visible. This is because I understand most of the schools have deadline for fall semester sometimes in December and early january. I need to take toefl again cos the ones I used previously is now over the two years stipulated and I want to retake GRE to upscale my score(previously scored 302 and 3.0). Will I be rushing things if I start applying now or should I just settle for fall 2015 since most of the phd programs only admit for fall semester? I need you guys seasoned advise on this please.
Time is of the essence, if you wait for fall 2015 that's almost 2 years before you start. Don't put pressure on yourself though, if you feel you can retake the Gre and Toefl and do well within now and december then by all means give it a shot.

Another alternative would be to use your current scores and apply for Masters Fall 2014(Or Spring 2014), technically before Fall 2015 you should be done or nearing completion of your Masters program. Afterwards proceed to Phd...Just an opinion
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by samnoah(m): 2:30pm On Aug 18, 2013
syahboy: Time is of the essence, if you wait for fall 2015 that's almost 2 years before you start. Don't put pressure on yourself though, if you feel you can retake the Gre and Toefl and do well within now and december then by all means give it a shot.

Another alternative would be to use your current scores and apply for Masters Fall 2014(Or Spring 2014), technically before Fall 2015 you should be done or nearing completion of your Masters program. Afterwards proceed to Phd...Just an opinion

Thanks brother.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by FindOut(m): 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2013
samnoah: This is my situation. I plan applying for a phd program but not quite sure whether starting now towards fall 2014 will still be visible. This is because I understand most of the schools have deadline for fall semester sometimes in December and early january. I need to take toefl again cos the ones I used previously is now over the two years stipulated and I want to retake GRE to upscale my score(previously scored 302 and 3.0). Will I be rushing things if I start applying now or should I just settle for fall 2015 since most of the phd programs only admit for fall semester? I need you guys seasoned advise on this please.

Syahboy has given you good advice, however since you already have a masters here in Nigeria, I'd say you go straight for the PhD (note that if you do decide to still venture for masters, when you get to the embassy, make sure you conveniently forget to mention that you have a masters degree from Nigeria.

I think you still have enough time to make Fall 2014 PhD. Lemme try and draw up a sort of timeline for you which you may tweak to your convenience:
This is August.
- From now till end of August & maybe even part of September: Search through schools and identify the schools & PhD programs you are interested in. Get their requirements.

- September & October: Prepare very well for GRE & write in October ending. Good thing you've written it before so at least you know you have to register about a month ahead before you write it.

- November & December: Apply to schools and forward all documents, GRE scores will meet them there from ETS, also mail professors in your intending department letting them know you can be of help in their research (which you must have googled out and have a fairly good idea of what its about).

Then sit back, pray, do follow-ups on professors letting them know you've sent in your application blablabla..etc. Then wait.

You can fit TOEFL in anywhere until January I guess. As far as I & many schools are concerned when it comes to Nigerian students who can speak and write good English, its not that important. However you may wish to write it too. But remember GRE is the koko.

Note that many schools' deadline for submitting an application(especially the "early deadline" / "deadine for those who wish to be considered for financial aid"wink is sometimes different and earlier than the deadline for the receipt of application materials. So it is not always the best thing to wait until ALL your application supporting materials are ready before you apply and submit your application. Keep that in mind. Wish you all the best.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by osram(m): 3:31pm On Aug 18, 2013
GboyegaD:

Why not apply to schools that accepts HND without discrimiation? You could also get some funding based on your profile if you write and do well on the GRE.
pls gboyega.....can u giv me d skuls dt acept h.n.d 4 masters or p.h.d.tnx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by deoladtop: 4:00pm On Aug 18, 2013
Hello everyone.am new on naira land.I need some guidance please.my husband is in the usa studying for his masters degree.I am thinking of taking GRE now and then go to the united states with an f2 visa.then on getting there,I will apply for visa status change to f1.is this possible?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by CaptJHMiller: 4:05pm On Aug 18, 2013
godG: Why do people still find it hard to register for TOEFL?! Thanks to bigfrancis, I registered mine myself. All u need is ur $175 and say 1k for making the call...u can register with ANY ATM CARD. I did mine like 2 days ago. The same applicable to GRE. Don't get duped by agents.
Giuy did you just say any ATM? So can I use my GTB master naira or my First bank master naira to do this?

Please anybody that can answer should please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by samnoah(m): 4:37pm On Aug 18, 2013
Find Out!:

Syahboy has given you good advice, however since you already have a masters here in Nigeria, I'd say you go straight for the PhD (note that if you do decide to still venture for masters, when you get to the embassy, make sure you conveniently forget to mention that you have a masters degree from Nigeria.

I think you still have enough time to make Fall 2014 PhD. Lemme try and draw up a sort of timeline for you which you may tweak to your convenience:
This is August.
- From now till end of August & maybe even part of September: Search through schools and identify the schools & PhD programs you are interested in. Get their requirements.

- September & October: Prepare very well for GRE & write in October ending. Good thing you've written it before so at least you know you have to register about a month ahead before you write it.

- November & December: Apply to schools and forward all documents, GRE scores will meet them there from ETS, also mail professors in your intending department letting them know you can be of help in their research (which you must have googled out and have a fairly good idea of what its about).

Then sit back, pray, do follow-ups on professors letting them know you've sent in your application blablabla..etc. Then wait.

You can fit TOEFL in anywhere until January I guess. As far as I & many schools are concerned when it comes to Nigerian students who can speak and write good English, its not that important. However you may wish to write it too. But remember GRE is the koko.

Note that many schools' deadline for submitting an application(especially the "early deadline" / "deadine for those who wish to be considered for financial aid"wink is sometimes different and earlier than the deadline for the receipt of application materials. So it is not always the best thing to wait until ALL your application supporting materials are ready before you apply and submit your application. Keep that in mind. Wish you all the best.

Findout!
I just indexed your suggestion. I guess will have to follow through it as laid down. Will start preparation... Thanks for the insight
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 4:49pm On Aug 18, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:

Giuy did you just say any ATM? So can I use my GTB master naira or my First bank master naira to do this?

Affirmative. GTB Naira mastercard is your best bet as it has never failed me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by CaptJHMiller: 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2013
^^
So if I have 1k in my phone and make the call, what info am I soppose to have with me?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 5:33pm On Aug 18, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:
^^
So if I have 1k in my phone and make the call, what info am I soppose to have with me?
You need to register in there site first and call there number. Your gtbank master card no(16 digit) n your 3 digit no @ the back of ur card, exam location, user name n password u use to register.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 5:36pm On Aug 18, 2013
crespo67:
Thanks bro,wud pm u now....guess av got somuch 2 get from u grin
Check your mail bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Karpurt: 6:59pm On Aug 18, 2013
@Lisadem, thanks but i'm not based in Lagos.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by godG: 7:51pm On Aug 18, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:

Yes you can! ANY! Peace.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by anonymous131: 8:09pm On Aug 18, 2013
I did gain tremendously from this medium. I got through with my F1 student visa on Wednesday. Place of interview was Abuja.
Favor all the way. The VO was very cheerful, friendly and mother like. My mum was also there with me.Lastly, the mighty Grace of God was with me as no document was demanded from me. I wish you guys preparing for your interview success and I am really grateful to all your posts on your experiences and your helpful advice.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mandybaby2007: 8:26pm On Aug 18, 2013
Heloo house, I am new in this forum, you guys have a wonderfull thing going here, i have learnt a lot frm d questions and answers, i got my I-20 lastweek for graduate studies, wil b paying my visa fees 2moro, wil book an interview date after that, a quick question tho, i sent my dads statement 2d school nd my I-20 source of funds reads family funds, can i use my aunts statement for embassy? Reason being dt my dads statement isn't funded anymore, wil it matter dt i sent my dads statemnt 2school but want 2use my aunts statement for visa interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 8:43pm On Aug 18, 2013
mandybaby2007: Heloo house, I am new in this forum, you guys have a wonderfull thing going here, i have learnt a lot frm d questions and answers, i got my I-20 lastweek for graduate studies, wil b paying my visa fees 2moro, wil book an interview date after that, a quick question tho, i sent my dads statement 2d school nd my I-20 source of funds reads family funds, can i use my aunts statement for embassy? Reason being dt my dads statement isn't funded anymore, wil it matter dt i sent my dads statemnt 2school but want 2use my aunts statement for visa interview?
Yes it can be use. Your aunt is still your family, go with it without fear. Cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 8:43pm On Aug 18, 2013
mandybaby2007: Heloo house, I am new in this forum, you guys have a wonderfull thing going here, i have learnt a lot frm d questions and answers, i got my I-20 lastweek for graduate studies, wil b paying my visa fees 2moro, wil book an interview date after that, a quick question tho, i sent my dads statement 2d school nd my I-20 source of funds reads family funds, can i use my aunts statement for embassy? Reason being dt my dads statement isn't funded anymore, wil it matter dt i sent my dads statemnt 2school but want 2use my aunts statement for visa interview?
For family funds to have been stated in your I-20, you have the freedom to use your aunty's statement of account. No fears.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2013
samnoah: First time on the thread. Got introduced by foohard; a great friend.I'm enjoying these coments cos they are insighting. Its great that we can have people volunteer to share this great amount of info here. Have got two admissions in US earlier for master's but never went for visa interview cos the schools didn't offer me any form of tuition reduction. Already completed a master's degree here in naija just recently and looking forward to putting in for phd in the US. Hope to get valuable supports from here.

Welcome Samnoah... I know you and I'm sure you would be impressed with the kind of good heart people have in here..

(1) (2) (3) ... (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) (320) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.