Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,611 members, 7,843,962 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (488891 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dot1(m): 8:24pm On May 24, 2013
@theHanafis

Lemme try ansa some of ur Qs. Others will also contribute.
1. U can write d gre anytime, provided ur result will get to d school u ar appying to b4 d application deadline. It takes ets 2 weeks or dere abt to send ur result to ur scool
2. Actually dere's no specific order 4 writing those tests. It all depends on u. I did gre 1st. But if i wqnna advice any1, i wil say maybe u do toefl 1st. Itz easier and u get som skills dere dat will be useful for gre. But lyk i sed earlier, it depnds on u
3. Jst send a blqnk msg to selfstudy360@gmail.com. U will get an auto-response wit a jet speed. U can den donload any1 dat u want
4. Nothing is impossible. But depends on d school and d dept. There dat can betta b answerd by d admission officer
5. Same as 4
6. U will also get d link for toefl material download wit dat of gre. Additionally, u can visit www.notefull.com. *datz all* for more toefl tips
7. For fall, 2014. U stil av plenty of tym. Applcatn closes mostly arnd decemba- february. Depending on sch, tho
8. Best of luck, man. All the success
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dot1(m): 8:24pm On May 24, 2013
@theHanafis

Lemme try ansa some of ur Qs. Others will also contribute.
1. U can write d gre anytime, provided ur result will get to d school u ar appying to b4 d application deadline. It takes ets 2 weeks or dere abt to send ur result to ur scool
2. Actually dere's no specific order 4 writing those tests. It all depends on u. I did gre 1st. But if i wqnna advice any1, i wil say maybe u do toefl 1st. Itz easier and u get som skills dere dat will be useful for gre. But lyk i sed earlier, it depnds on u
3. Jst send a blqnk msg to selfstudy360@gmail.com. U will get an auto-response wit a jet speed. U can den donload any1 dat u want
4. Nothing is impossible. But depends on d school and d dept. There dat can betta b answerd by d admission officer
5. Same as 4
6. U will also get d link for toefl material download wit dat of gre. Additionally, u can visit www.notefull.com. *datz all* for more toefl tips
7. For fall, 2014. U stil av plenty of tym. Applcatn closes mostly arnd decemba- february. Depending on sch, tho
8. Best of luck, man. All the success
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by 2chains1(m): 8:28pm On May 24, 2013
bigfrancis21:

With the current immigration system that is about to be overhauled, the modus operandi of most students after study is to quickly look for companies to hire them and file for work visas (H1B) for them. These visas are temporary and usually lasts for 6 years. Normally there's what they call OPT training. OPT training is sort of an internship program instituted for international students who wish to work in the US after study and gain rich, practical and exposed US work experience which when added to the CV gives you an edge in the job market in your home country. It lasts for 23 months or so. What many students do is to quickly apply for OPT to continue to remain legally in-status while also utilizing this ample time to get a company to hire them and file for them in case they are unable to get work immediately after graduation and before their specified length of study stay expires. After your company must have filed for you and you start work, you can now begin your green card application process. You gotta start early to ensure that it pulls through within your 6 valid work years.
The H1B visas are for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) graduates. That is for graduates of US universities who read STEM courses in school.

However, this is obtainable in current immigration system which has been noted as ineffective and plans are on the way to overhaul it and get it replaced with another better and effective immigration system.

Mine is a masters program in innovation and technological entrepreneurship at the university of mass. that's a STEM program right?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:32pm On May 24, 2013
2-chains:

Mine is a masters program in innovation and technological entrepreneurship, that's a STEM program right?

Were you at any point a Science major and/or which department you applied to when writing the school for admission?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 8:37pm On May 24, 2013
theHanafis: My salutation goes to d big brodas in d house expecially bigfrances,imperioux,yvete....and the rest not to mention.I hav taken my tym to read this trend,and I tel u ,I hav learned a lot 4rm u guyz posts.May d Almighty grant u success in all ur endeavors.
I hav few questions for the house,which are:
1. When is d right tym to take d gre test for 2014 fall semester application
2.toefl or gre which one adviceably should I tek first ?
3.can any 1 help me with grubbers,barons 19 Edition.I couldn't get dem,only got kaplan and d C.D inside was even a chinease movie.wasn't Appie.?
4.I major in engineering (mechanical) with 2:1 B.Eng only,pls do I stand a chance t get admission into PhD with full funding in my field
5. If I had study Msc in let say Mechatronics or material science engineering do one stand a chance to switch to PhD in petroleum engineering or oil n gas or phD in Mech eng?
6. Which materials should I use for toefl preparation?
7. Do I still even hav tym to apply to skuls in d U.S or its already late?
8. Pls bear wit ma questions as I'm really a tyro in dis gre, toefl and U.S skuls stuffs.
I wil really appreciate it if my questions wil be answered

1) Whenever you feel ready to register and start preparing for it. Reading and preparation takes from as little as 1 month to to as much as 3 months, depending on the individual. However, this needs to be done months ahead of or during the Fall 2014 application period. Some students read on their own while some attend lessons. Whichever one suits you, you do.
2) You can take them in any order. Personally, I'd prefer to take the GRE first so that by the time the GRE verbal section has finished drilling me like a blender, i'd be already 90% prepared to tackle the TOEFL grin which is simpler. cheesy
3) Send an email to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll get an automatic immediate reply containing the download links you seek.
4) Yes you do so far as you ace the GRE. Having some research experience is a boost but usually not necessary. PhD students stand more chance of obtaining funding than masters students.
5) This is possible. Mechatronics and Material science Engineering contain significant mechanical engineering elements in them and are very well related to mechanical engineering. So pursuing a PhD in mechanical engineering is sure. However, you'd be required to select a research field under Mechanical Engineering and it will only be natural to gravitate to your familiar mechatronics/material science options or related options available. I think switching to PhD in oil & gas engineering is also possible. Usually, having an Undergraduate degree in any engineering or science course is the pre-requisite for admission.
6) You'll get to download them after you must have sent an email to the email I dropped for you.
7) Its late to apply for fall 2013. However, applications are currently open for Spring 2014 generally. Only a few schools are currently accepting fall 2014 applications.

I hope the long Gospel of Francis helps. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by 2chains1(m): 8:38pm On May 24, 2013
imperiouxx:

Were you at any point a Science major and/or which department you applied to when writing the school for admission?

Oh! I studied management info systems at undergrad level in naija but the masters program is under the business school so from all indication it's out of it I guess.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:39pm On May 24, 2013
Damn! bigfrank. You're something else writing long replies. I could do that in the past but now...... Many things on my mind wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:40pm On May 24, 2013
2-chains:

Oh! I studied management info systems at undergrad level in naija but the masters program is under the business school so from all indication it's out of it I guess.

The bold is your answer. Your degree will be like MBA.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 8:45pm On May 24, 2013
Imperiouxx, I think he is qualified. There is Management Science major as part of the STEM majors. He will likely fall under that category. A full list here;

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/stem-list.pdf
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 8:48pm On May 24, 2013
imperiouxx: Damn! bigfrank. You're something else writing long replies. I could do that in the past but now...... Many things on my mind wink
grin
Sure, many things on your mind now. I know you're thinking about how you'll land that dream job which you've started eying ever since you got into in your good ol' dexter's lab. grin grin
My fingers, once they land on the keyboard, start running fast like there's no tomorrow. cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:50pm On May 24, 2013
OjaP:
Imperiouxx, I think he is qualified. There is Management Science major as part of the STEM majors. He will likely fall under that category. A full list here;

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/sevis/pdf/stem-list.pdf

Ok, my bad too just like Bigfrank wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:51pm On May 24, 2013
bigfrancis21:
grin grin. Sure, many things on your mind now. I know you're more occupied now with landing that dream job which you've started eying ever since you got into in your good ol' dexter's lab. grin grin
My fingers, once they land on the keyboard, start running fast like there's no tomorrow. cheesy

You get me right. Job and so many other things o.

@ dexter's lab part. It's like all the time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 8:54pm On May 24, 2013
imperiouxx:

Ok, my bad too just like Bigfrank wink

Lol....but bros, you go fear fear when you see guys tying several majors to STEM. You know Naija people always have their ways around stuffs like that.

Oyinbo people no wise reach us na....lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:57pm On May 24, 2013
OjaP:

Lol....but bros, you go fear fear when you see guys tying several majors to STEM. You know Naija people always have their ways around stuffs like that.

I trust my guys nau. God should just help us all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:02pm On May 24, 2013
OjaP:

Hahaha. As in?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:05pm On May 24, 2013
Dot1! Dot1!! Dot1!!!
How many times did I call you? Anyway, go through this page and the former page and know why I'm calling you. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 24, 2013
Hello guys, I'd love anyone to comment with experience or any knowledge of this fact. From my research even people on the admission commitee in Grad schools recommend applying very early. Assuming application for fall begins November 1st, If you can get your whole application packet to them before November 10th you stand a high chance of admission because during the first round of application review the number of acceptance is really high and it drops with each round of review(as slots fill up). Reason being the admission commitee see such early applicants as focused and passionate. So I would like to know has this worked for anyone or if anyone has had rejects despite applying remarkably very early. Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 9:40pm On May 24, 2013
Hello guys, I greet you all..

I got accepted to Minnesota State University, Mankato, Last 2 weeks and I was asked to fill my i-20 request form.

I filled my i-20 request form and indicated a courier service to help me pick up my Package on the form.

I sent the form via email to the school last week friday for them to process my i-20 package , up till today, I have not heard a response from them.

Please I'm confused now, as I'm yet to receive my i-20 package, I have sent numerous emails to the school but no response.

Pls who in the house is experiencing the same issue with me or has experienced similar issue should pls advice me on wht to do next.

Thanks..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 10:01pm On May 24, 2013
mr swagger: Hello guys, I greet you all..

I got accepted to Minnesota State University, Mankato, Last 2 weeks and I was asked to fill my i-20 request form.

I filled my i-20 request form and indicated a courier service to help me pick up my Package on the form.

I sent the form via email to the school last week friday for them to process my i-20 package , up till today, I have not heard a response from them.

Please I'm confused now, as I'm yet to receive my i-20 package, I have sent numerous emails to the school but no response.

Pls who in the house is experiencing the same issue with me or has experienced similar issue should pls advice me on wht to do next.

Thanks..

Why don't you give them a phone call? You can always get their admission office phone number on the website
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 10:13pm On May 24, 2013
For your school's purposes or for the embassy's sake?

For embassy's sake.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smartguy1759: 10:59pm On May 24, 2013
Hello pple in the house, I wanna say kudos to everybdy dt has made this thread as informative as it is. Please, I av a little ish I want the house to help me with. I got admitted into a PhD program with funding, but wit regards to this 'home tie' thing,I currently work wit a small company in which a doctoral decree might not be relevant when I come back to the country. But, I am really interested in lecturing. The problem now is shld I still get a letter from this company stating that am going on study leave, considering that I av spent less than one year with them. Or tell the VO outrightly that am resigning since PhD is nt going to be useful wit dem, and to come back and pick up a job as a lecturer and a researcher.
Please, all advice is welcomed wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by adelawansy(m): 11:07pm On May 24, 2013
syahboy: Hello guys, I'd love anyone to comment with experience or any knowledge of this fact. From my research even people on the admission commitee in Grad schools recommend applying very early. Assuming application for fall begins November 1st, If you can get your whole application packet to them before November 10th you stand a high chance of admission because during the first round of application review the number of acceptance is really high and it drops with each round of review(as slots fill up). Reason being the admission commitee see such early applicants as focused and passionate. So I would like to know has this worked for anyone or if anyone has had rejects despite applying remarkably very early. Cheers!
Perhaps it's true because it worked for me. Early submission of admission packages is advised before the admission committee get overwhelmed with superfluous applications even with ones that have more compelling profile.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Dot1(m): 5:28am On May 25, 2013
bigfrancis21: Dot1! Dot1!! Dot1!!!
How many times did I call you? Anyway, go through this page and the former page and know why I'm calling you. grin

Don't mind ur boy o. My notebook was displayin an error mesg each tym i was sending that epistle and i kept retrying, nt knowing dat it was getting posted
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Leofric(m): 5:56am On May 25, 2013
Greetings to everyone who has contribited on this thread,I must salute your crave for higher educational degrees and experience,pls I A̶̲̥̅♏ a student of a federal polytechnic about to graduate next year,I want to know can someone go directly for masters,pls if it is possible,what are the procedures.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 7:13am On May 25, 2013
fidelia.john:

For embassy's sake.

@Fidelia.john, Don't try it. Don't even go near it self. How will you say you want to Use Photocopy of Bank Statement to Embassy.

That will call for a Big DENIAL.

All documents E.g Transcripts from High school or University, Degree certificates, Admission letter, SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, and other documents including your Bank Statement MUST be ORIGINAL to take to the Embassy to apply for your Visa.

Take the ORIGINALS with you to the Embassy NOT Photocopies oooo.

NB: The V.O will ask for your Original Bank Statement ooooo. So be prepared.

It's not difficult getting an Original Bank Statement. Just get a letter from your sponsor for him to write a request to the Bank, and take it to the Bank in other for them to print out his Original Bank Statement for you.

It's not expensive. I did mine for #900 for 3 pages at my sponsor's Bank and I collected it that same day within 20 minutes..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:49am On May 25, 2013
mr swagger:

@Fidelia.john, Don't try it. Don't even go near it self. How will you say you want to Use Photocopy of Bank Statement to Embassy.

That will call for a Big DENIAL.

All documents E.g Transcripts from High school or University, Degree certificates, Admission letter, SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, and other documents including your Bank Statement MUST be ORIGINAL to take to the Embassy to apply for your Visa.

Take the ORIGINALS with you to the Embassy NOT Photocopies oooo.

NB: The V.O will ask for your Original Bank Statement ooooo. So be prepared.

It's not difficult getting an Original Bank Statement. Just get a letter from your sponsor for him to write a request to the Bank, and take it to the Bank in other for them to print out his Original Bank Statement for you.

It's not expensive. I did mine for #900 for 3 pages at my sponsor's Bank and I collected it that same day within 20 minutes..

On point bro.
Did it reflect the required balance or it was printed 3/6 months back?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ApachaiHopachai: 10:43am On May 25, 2013
smartguy1759: Hello pple in the house, I wanna say kudos to everybdy dt has made this thread as informative as it is. Please, I av a little ish I want the house to help me with. I got admitted into a PhD program with funding, but wit regards to this 'home tie' thing,I currently work wit a small company in which a doctoral decree might not be relevant when I come back to the country. But, I am really interested in lecturing. The problem now is shld I still get a letter from this company stating that am going on study leave, considering that I av spent less than one year with them. Or tell the VO outrightly that am resigning since PhD is nt going to be useful wit dem, and to come back and pick up a job as a lecturer and a researcher.
Please, all advice is welcomed wink
I got into a PhD program as well...but when I went for my interview I wasn't doing anything directly connected to my PhD admit. When preparing for the interview...I didn't get any letter from my employer aside from my offer letter(and I wasn't even asked for that). About the home tie...you can relate your PhD program to an immediate want in Nigeria. For example...I would say I was going for a PhD in chemical and biomolecular engineering because I am interested in alternative energy research/ better energy utilization( as we all know power is a major issue in Nigeria).
Also you could say that you want to go into academia knowing fully well that there are lot of private universities spring up...and there is shortage of qualified people...blabla...you get the point...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 12:59pm On May 25, 2013
@justwise could you please explain to me why my las post was hidden, is vanacular speaking prohibited? example {Yoruba} my account was inaccessible as well .

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME AM ADRESSING MYSELF TO YOU ILL BE EXPECTING A SOLID REASON
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Chemical2(m): 3:43pm On May 25, 2013
@imperiouxx, thanks for your contributions........ However are you majored in the chemical sciences? Would require some clarifications.....if yes!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smartguy1759: 3:44pm On May 25, 2013
ApachaiHopachai:
I got into a PhD program as well...but when I went for my interview I wasn't doing anything directly connected to my PhD admit. When preparing for the interview...I didn't get any letter from my employer aside from my offer letter(and I wasn't even asked for that). About the home tie...you can relate your PhD program to an immediate want in Nigeria. For example...I would say I was going for a PhD in chemical and biomolecular engineering because I am interested in alternative energy research/ better energy utilization( as we all know power is a major issue in Nigeria).
Also you could say that you want to go into academia knowing fully well that there are lot of private universities spring up...and there is shortage of qualified people...blabla...you get the point...
Thanks so much @ApachaiHopachai, this piece of information will definitely help. Please, can you drop your contact so that we can talk more.

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Travelling To Canada Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.