Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,026 members, 7,828,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira (2358 Views)

Alison: 100 Courses Offered Free Of Charge + Certificate / Man Graduates With A Distinction For Masters From A UK Uni And Offered A 50k Job / How Do I Meet My 200 Million Naira Target By December? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by clintonty(m): 3:45pm On May 08, 2006
What Should My Uncle Do ? He Has Only 48hrs To Decide
undecided undecided undecided

My uncle works in a big company, he heads a particular department which deals with car-purchase. Spending almost 6 years in honest service to the company and affirming his faith in God, he is presently in confusion.

Actually, as usual, he was directed to find out the amount to purchase 7 new cars. He was used to buying them in a particular company which his boss and other directors are not interested in. The company told him on phone that a car of that brand sells for X.X million. After reporting to the relevant quarter, he was given Y.Y million to get them.

Now at the sales-point, he paid for the cars and receipt of Y.Y million (i mean naira) was written and given to him. preparing to go back to his workplace, the Executive director of the car selling company said he wanted to see my uncle in camera.

I quote him "Well, we notice that you have been consistent with our company, despite the existence of others, you still patronise us. Anyway, we have decided to give you 0.5 million on each car. " Immediately, a cheque of 3.5 million naira (7 cars) was written for my uncle, His name inclusive on the cheque.

Does this money belong to my uncle or his workplace? He is confused. Please give your view for the next decision.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by akani(m): 4:13pm On May 08, 2006
Quotes:"the Executive director of the car selling company said he wanted to see my uncle in camera.
I quote him " Well, we notice that you have been consistent with our company, despite the existence of others, you still patronise us. Anyway, we have decided to give you 0.5million on each car".
Well, To my view of understanding,i can deduce that from the qoute the compensation amount should vehemently go to the uncles purse. because there is no amount of good will being done that wouldnt result to a successive achievement.
Seconldly, the cheque is being issue on the bearers name there is no doubt to act on a foolish way where by the money will be diverted elsewhere not to the appropriate quarters.
finally i think the money should be cashed on the bearer name because the money was issued based on the compensation and not on the reduction of goods purchased.
so clintonty the decision has to be viewed on this directive.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by vickky(f): 7:38pm On May 08, 2006
this is very hard, it is not easy at all.i think ur uncle should turn the money in because this is the first of its kind happening to him.if his boss is a nice boss they will split it but if he ends up doing that and the boss decides to be smart then he should know better next time okay.its better to be careful than waste a lot because of greed.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by Saddam: 9:14pm On May 08, 2006
Nothing is Hidden under the Sun, remember that someone else could take over that His position some day and find out the game he played.

I do advise Him to return the cash or what ever discount to His company, Because Biggest Gbege (Trouble) Fit Burst later and He would loose his job,face charges of Fraud and all that.

Which he might start to regret His action later.

Also remember That What he has ahead of his career (The Future) might be more than that cash which he wants to make do with now.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by Seun(m): 10:43pm On May 08, 2006
This is a common practice in nigeria. I know about a hotel that pays purchasing agents when they convince the companies they work for to patronize them. They call it 'referral commission' or something like that.

It's a manifestation of corruption, because a purchasing agent is supposed to represent the interests of the company. but it's also a common practice in our corrupt nation. If your uncle's boss finds out, he'll probably be fired.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by ajadudu: 2:34am On May 09, 2006
Very tempting, but I always ask myself in any kind of tempting situation, what if this is a setup?

I will advice your uncle to tell the director of the car company thanks but no thanks in the nicest of ways possible, "maybe when I want to buy a personal car you can give me a discount but unfortunately due to my position @ my company I am unable to accept this money".

He will feel so much better I tell you and you know, what goes around comes around.

Finally if the car company can "dash" him 500k off each car is he really getting the best deal for his company?
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by hotangel2(f): 2:44am On May 09, 2006
Me i say: This requires a Lawyer. Yes oo.

First of all, ur uncle should talk to his lawyer. Well then, he can turn the money in to his boss, as in not TURN IT IN, tell ur boss that u got some money from buying cars from a particular car company. I mean, it was up to ur uncle to buy the cars, he coulda as well gone to other car companies.

Mehnn,, this na temptation, it can lead to confusion!. Okay see ehn, tell ur uncle to talk to his lawyer. So that, even if his boss wants to collect the money, the lawyer can interfere, or so that the lawyer can tell ur uncle if his not turning the money in, could cost him his job.

WHy am i shouting lawyer? Because they r the one that'll save you when, ur boss finds out and charges u with fraud.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by bolex(m): 1:00pm On May 09, 2006
well

it;s clear you uncle owns the money

But the company should be aware

ps: he should not forget to pray

cool

that's ma 3 cents
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by twinstaiye(m): 5:10pm On May 09, 2006
Since it is the company that owns all the car he has been purchasing from that car company, he is not buying with his own money, he is buying with the company money, therefore the money belongs to his company. This is because in the first place, he cant afford to continue to buy car from the company spanning those years. Having said that, you also made it clear when you said "Spending almost 6 years in honest service to the company and affirming his faith in God, he is presently in confusion." he is honest enough with the company, why should he not be honest this time around. Let him tell the car company what i stated above and at the same time telling them that it will be very wise to give the cheque to his company. If however the car company wants to personally compensate him for his patronage and not for the patronage of his company, they will do the appropriate.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by bolex(m): 9:20pm On May 09, 2006
I take ma post back

The company owns the money

but wait, is he not the one that should take the credit ?

well, if the company is wise enough

They should give him something in appreciation

cool

How about that
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by LoverBwoy(m): 5:30pm On May 10, 2006
Yes , he should be the one taking the credit
but he has to notify the company he is working for of the discount

His own organisation should acknowledge his hard work by rewarding him too!

plus the almight lecturer cliche It'll look nice on his C.V  grin
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by cammax7(m): 4:23pm On May 11, 2006
I think as well as believe the money should go to your uncle, its a sort of cxommision the car company is giving him for patronising them. But he should inform his superiors, he could decide to give them a little something, not as a bribe anyway. He should ask his lawyer if the whole thing gets too confusing for him sha.

But hey, his he sharing any of that money with us?
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by clintonty(m): 4:50pm On May 17, 2006
I sincerely appreciate akani, bolex, hotangel, 2cents and all members ( fellow nairaland elite) in general. You guys have given good suggestion. Remember u all will surely be great watch out. It's a matter of time. Cheers cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by sadebowale(m): 7:00pm On May 17, 2006
ur uncle is qualified to have the money 'cos he has not done any shady deals but if he did before now he should just let it go but if not he should collect the money and keep it secret from the company's gleeful eyes.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by hotangel2(f): 8:24pm On May 17, 2006
clintonty:

I sincerely appreciate akani, bolex, hotangel, 2cents and all members ( fellow nairaland elite) in general. You guys have given good suggestion. Remember u all will surely be great watch out. It's a matter of time. Cheers cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

what happened now? Tell us!
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by Bisiriyu: 9:51am On May 18, 2006
Your uncle has been honest thus far. it is by virtue of his position in the company that he is being rewarded its not for purchasing his own personal car. I ADVICE THAT FOR TRANSPARENCY AND HONESTY he should inform his boss about the development.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by kimba(m): 10:35pm On May 18, 2006
@Clintonty

Hey, the N3.5mil is what is called "Appreciation Fee".

In Nigeria, there are two kinds of "Appreciation Fees"(AF). One is the AF you get before the job is done, which is not related to the fee for doing the job, but which is to encourage you to do the job. Its like saying "Thank You" to someone you sent on an errand, even before he moves,

The second AF is the one you get after the job is done. This AF is to ensure that future-business-patronization is ensured.

If I were you uncle, Yes, I know the cheque was issued in my name, I would inform my boss, and not only him, I would inform my fellow colleagues, so that everyone will know in to to. Ok, if we are all to share the cash, no probs, but I wont want my mouth to be sealed in future(when Im supposed to take the right decision/stand up for/against something), by some previous AF that I had pocketed.
Re: My Uncle's Company's Car Supplier Offered Him 3.5 Million Naira by kazey(m): 3:22pm On May 21, 2006
Referral commission, Loyalty Bonus or whatever should be credited to the department that made the purchase, because from what we can tell its the department that made the purchase, the Uncle is just a represantative of that department.

In the real business world, companies have budget of spendings, and so does departments, and they have to utilise the budget in the area of servicing the company to the best of their ability. If less of the budget is spent, and they are prone to facing a budget cut in the next budget allocation.

Now the activities of each department is accoutable, so is its spending, and so in most companies to avoid corruption and proper accountability, such constraits are allowed, and hence the departments can have parties, sales bonus, etc and everything moves smoothly because everybody is happy.

For your uncle, I cant be certain because I dont know the policies of the government in terms of bonuses etc. So I cant really say much. If he is honest as he claims, let him tender the check to his department in the weekly meetings.

(1) (Reply)

Institute Of Fraud Examiners Calling For Qualified Candidates For Post Graduate / Free Skill Acquisition Training Programme / Is It Mandatory To Send Xmas/new Year Sms To Ur Boss?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.