Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,037 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Did Jesus Dance And Sing? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Dance And Sing? (16728 Views)

Is This Biblically Right To Dance Break Dance And Do Stunt In Church? / Korede Bello’s Invitation To Sing At Popular Church Attracts Criticism / Did Jesus Die for Our Sin? Which Sin? Ifeann Should Please Come In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by sheniqua: 2:37am On May 14, 2008
Sisikill:

What exactly is the harm from singing and dancing? I mean if there was a chance it can be misconstrued as something sinister like oh I don’t know . . .burnt sacrifices, I'll understand why you're perplexed but it is singing and dancing.

Unto the Lord for that matter.
There's nothing that won't give these folks sleepless nights
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by longman83(m): 3:01am On May 14, 2008
This is for those naysayers who really want to know if Jesus sang: The context of this verse is the Jesus' last supper with his disciples before he was betrayed and crucified:

Matthew 26:30
[size=18pt]When they[Jesus and his disciples] had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.[/size]

Next please . . .
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by sheniqua: 3:15am On May 14, 2008
He'll soon come back to ask if he used "ancient and modern" ,"songs of praise" or the methodist hymn book
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by 4Him1(m): 3:27am On May 14, 2008
those asking "questions" are suddenly silent?  shocked
What will they ask us next?
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by tonib(f): 12:47pm On May 14, 2008
those asking "questions" are suddenly silent?
What will they ask us next?

I wonder o, i went through all the replies and i realise that they are indeed in bondage, the devil has covered their eyes and that is why they are asking all these questions besides we are in the end time so it is their time leave them i just pray that the lord will open their eyes and let them know the truth before its too late In Jesus Name.

Oh Give thanks unto the Lord for He is good His MERCIES endure forever
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by Graxie(f): 2:06pm On Jan 31, 2009
amen
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by plappville(f): 6:00pm On Jan 31, 2009
the thing become a mooslim and chritian (joke) anyway it's interesting to read when these mooslim talk about their mohammed grin grin, dance or not what is important is doing what pleases God, Jesus is our lord and saviour so lets follow his steps.
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by GoodMuyis(m): 9:14pm On Jan 31, 2009
Nairaland Brethren am sorry for take time to read all rely to the post but i have something to say about the topic.

First of all Singing and dancing (to the Glory of God only) is good am not saying dancing to the music fo the World.
If you sing and dance at time it strenghten you to be happy even to praise God to an unknown extent. this am talking about personal worship of God with songs of praises(probably with clapping or dancing).
But when you attend Chirch meeting and your singing and dancing is more that the preaching, that means the pastors or leaders of that Church are suger Dadies, because the only try to please the member more than God.

So if you said it is better to sing more than hearing messages in the church then you are a lazy christian that is you don't want to grow spiritauly, because its through the messages you realized your:
[center]Error to correct[/center]
[center]Lesson to learn[/center]
[center]Chaacter to improved on[/center]
[center]what to pray on/for[/center]

But if you are avoiding this all these that means you living carnaly you need to pray hard

thanks to the POSTER
GOODMUYIS (AMS)

Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by princekevo(m): 6:12am On Feb 01, 2009
@ the poster,
Please you advice to go and read you bible very well,
I suggest u read the following passage in the bible.

2 Samuel 6:14
David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the LORD with all his might,

Isaiah 42:10
[ Song of Praise to the Lord ] Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise from the ends of the earth, you who go down to the sea, and all that is in it, you islands, and all who live in them.

Psalm 149:1
Praise the LORD. Sing to the LORD a new song, his praise in the assembly of the saints.

Nehemiah 12:46
For long ago, in the days of David and Asaph, there had been directors for the singers and for the songs of praise and thanksgiving to God.

You might say all these was in the old testament before Jesus christ came to the earth but we should not forget that he said in Mathew 5:17. Think not that i am come to destroy the law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill,
That why in the book of james which is also a new testament he says
James 5:13
[ The Prayer of Faith ] Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.

So i guess that answer you question,
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by jamace(m): 10:56am On Feb 01, 2009
Whether Jesus danced or sing, or Muhammed hit his head on the floor like agama lizard, is irrelevant. What will be relevant to us is for your chosen pattern of belief/worship to affect positively on the society. cool
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by PurestBoy(m): 3:58pm On Feb 14, 2009
Muslims now hold crusade, night vigils, neglecting to teach about their faith but instead go about talking about the Christians and insulting Jesus and at the same time, they claim Jesus is a Muslim. What a self-contradictions
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by shawl: 3:35pm On Apr 07, 2011
longman83 seems to have provided the strongest evidence yet of Jesus singing. But then, that has only served to answer one part of the question. The other part of the question remain unanswered, that is, Jesus dancing.

I think this part is more important since dancing requires music to be playing, which is the core of the argument. Though I have seen an evidence suggesting that Jesus danced encircled by his disciple but the source is graded "apocryphal", that is, doubtful, http://www.jstor.org/pss/1582276. And I have yet to see other sources really.

So I want to believe that there is no strong evidence for this very prevalent practice among the christians. I also came to realize that unlike it is being vehemently defended here on Nairaland by christian folks, the opinion out there is that this topic is generally controversial among the wider body of christianity, here is why: http://www.jimfeeney.org/dancingasworship.html
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by wetu: 4:05pm On Apr 07, 2011
Let the redeemed of the Lord say so!
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by IYANGBALI: 10:44pm On Apr 07, 2011
and so wot if Jesus no sing or dance?we him followers must sing and dance to appreciate his death for us,if na dat one dey pain una make una go hold transformer.
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by shawl: 9:53am On Apr 29, 2011
"and so wot if Jesus no sing or dance"

That means it's not of Jesus. If it's not of Jesus, then drop it. Because many, that proclaim Jesus will be rejected by him.
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by Sike(m): 11:41am On Jun 14, 2011
Jesus! The best dancer. . .lol
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by regged4u: 3:52pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jesus could have dance for sure, do i didn't see any statement as such in the bible.

I believe He danced any how, abi dancing na sin? cool
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by WhyAWhy(m): 3:45pm On Jul 27, 2011
did Jesus Fart in the Bible undecided Because He didn't then Farting is sin

did Jesus belong to any unit in the Church undecided Because He didn't then belonging to or having a unit in church is sin undecided

Did Jesus drink water before or after his meal? undecided undecided

Did Jesus pray before leaving home in the morning, during the day or when he came back home? undecided undecided

Did Jesus even have a home? undecided undecided

Did Jesus even go to University? undecided undecided undecided
This is the light I see mundane questions like this. Jesus is our Perfect example but what happened to the likes of David who was said to be a man after God's heart, where do you leave other people in the bible whose life styles are what God has used to show forth what pleases Him?
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by shawl: 11:01pm On Aug 13, 2011
@WhyAWhy
None of the activities that you have listed constitute 'an act of worship' in christianity.

The questioner specifically mention that: "So did Jesus ever sing and dance when worshiping God." - samsonola.

So obviously, it is you who have tried to address the serious issue of 'an act of worship' with a listing of mundane ones.
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by WhyAWhy(m): 7:31am On Aug 14, 2011
shawl:

@WhyAWhy
None of the activities that you have listed constitute 'an act of worship' in christianity.

The questioner specifically mention that: "So did Jesus ever sing and dance when worshiping God." - samsonola.

So obviously, it is you who have tried to address the serious issue of 'an act of worship' with a listing of mundane ones.

Jesus is our example but He definitely can't live exactly the live style we are expected to all live throughout our lives (so that we can copy "step" by "step"wink. The "Act of worship" is more than a song
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by beborn2ce: 10:44pm On Jan 15, 2013
It is true that Jesus did not dance in the Bible. "They that worship him must worship in spirit and in truth" (John 4:23-24). Though there were some that danced in the Bible like Miriam Moses sister led other Israelites women to dance in Exodus 15:20 says; "Amd Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrel and with dances". Notice that they went away from the men to a secluded place to sing and dance to the Lord. Since their purpose is not to tempt the men but to praise the Lord. So Jesus will not give us open door to sin (1 Corinthians 10:7). "He that saith that he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked" (John 2:6). For those muslim out there. The Kuran calls Jesus Anobi Isa, and in it Prophet Muhammed says all true muslim must follow the teaching of Anobi Isa also known as Jesus Christ and Beleive all things in the Holy Bible. Since Muhammed did not condem Jesus but ask you as a true muslim to follow the teachings of Jesus. Here what Jesus said; "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me (John 14:6). The best thing to do now is to repent of your sins and confess them unto God and accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior. (Romans 10:9-10)
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by beborn2ce: 10:51pm On Jan 15, 2013
Of a truth there is nothing wrong in dancing if the life of the dancers are changing for the better in holiness and living the christian life. This dancings have not change thye lifes of the dancers neither the lifes of those that watch them dance. But , the word of God keep on changing lifes day after day. May the Lord help us set our priorities right in Jesus name. Amen!
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by Joagbaje(m): 12:09am On Jan 16, 2013
Jesus sang , I won't be surprised if he did some moves too.

Matthew 26:29-30
"I'll not be drinking wine from this cup again until that new day when I'll drink with you in the kingdom of my Father."
They sang a hymn and went directly to Mount Olives.
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by emeksanams(m): 12:24am On Jan 30, 2013
THE SINGING JESUS

Mark 14:26 "When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives."
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by deebrain(m): 3:18pm On Jan 30, 2013
If God does rejoice in excitement and sing according to yr bible in Zephiniah 3 vs 17 (God also gives a mocking laughter to enemies of His children in Psalm 2), then it should not be out of place for Jesus to dance and sing.
You "over serious" christians should be satisfied in the fact that its yr own idea of how u want to live. Stop saying God resembles u. God rejoices regularly! cheesy
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by AbuHanifa: 7:49pm On Jan 30, 2013
Devil is definitely living in the church! Songs from different composers. Both good and bad composers. So far the song has jesus in it, they must dance. They are tantamount to automated robots. Bad composers equal to bad songs. All manners of dance. Women shaking both front and backsides vigorously. Brothers eyeing the choir sister that used a so fa note tone to sing.

No wonder why some compose nonsense in the name of blabbing in tongues.

Listen carefully, jesus didn't sing neither did he instruct married women to shake bomboms. Jesus doesn't need that. You case is like someone worshipping wood. Trust me; satan lives in the church!
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by Lilyalacutey(f): 4:24pm On Nov 16, 2014
AbuHanifa:
Devil is definitely living in the church! Songs from different composers. Both good and bad composers. So far the song has jesus in it, they must dance. They are tantamount to automated robots. Bad composers equal to bad songs. All manners of dance. Women shaking both front and backsides vigorously. Brothers eyeing the choir sister that used a so fa note tone to sing.

Listen carefully, jesus didn't sing neither did he instruct married women to shake bomboms. Jesus doesn't need that. You case is like someone worshipping wood. Trust me; satan lives in the church!
emeksanams:
THE SINGING JESUS
Mark 14:26 "When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives."
AbuHanifa:

it is in ur mosque dt Satan lives and is living. you guys are seriously blinded. you people are always vexed when you see d xtians praising and worshipping God perfectly.
Abeg Jesus Christ all d way till I die. blinded moose mooslims
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
@4him ixtians generally has dis general prob which is dey dnt allow d bibble to speak for itself they actually read what dey knw into d bibble. I can't imagine u saying dat jesus was God nd it wnt b possible for God to sing or dance to itsself ,let me recall u to what happend into scriputure d nite bfore his alledge cruxifsion and ressurection jesus actually prayed to d GOD d night of his arreset nd d angels came to strengthed him further while on d cross he cried in a loud voice sayying my GOD my GOD why have thou forsaken me nd so many places lyk dat where jesus prayed to GoD if jesus was GOD has u av said who then was d one he was reffering to am sure u can answer dat
Nau comming to d real issue its a well knwn fact dat jesus was raised as a jew I mean he went to d temples teached there nd worshiped there.am very sure there is no single account where jesus was rcorded to av dance or sanged and as for using psalms and davId as a means of anwering d question I wud say its unfair cos david neva did his song congregrationally lyk nowadays where xtains wud go to d point of dancing immorally in d church nd accordind to d xtian faith every ways of d old prophets of cleasings sin as bcome outdated as a result of d perfect man who brought d perfect teachings. I mean jesus christ was suopposed to b d way and d light nd nt david even christianity means christ lyk in nature since jesus christ neva for once mentioned singing nd dancing we wud av no choice dan to call it a pagan act dat invaded xtianity during d era of d church, history made it known dat singing and dancing has been associated wif d pagan roman long bfore xtianity came to being.d great paul hiself neva even preached dat, rather he said woman shud neva talk in church 1st cor 14 34 I rest my case
Re: Did Jesus Dance And Sing? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Nov 16, 2014
For those who said jesus sang a hymn am sure u knw dat a hymn Is different from a song. A hymn has no instrumental played to it nd u can't possibly dance

(1) (2) (Reply)

Does God Exist? / How Prophet ‘daniel’ Abodunrin Was Killed And Eaten By Lions At University Of Ib / What Would Make You Change Your Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.