Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,710 members, 7,813,344 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote (22049 Views)

poem: nna anyi,is it true, Tribute To Chinua Achebe By Dike Chukwumerije (video) / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by topsy1971: 7:43pm On Mar 22, 2013
"That boy calls you father, bear no hand in his death". From Things fall Apart.(Ezeudu advising Okonkwo to stay clear of Ikemefuna's death when he was to be sacrificed to Agbala, the oracle of hills and cave). Very interesting novel.

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by igbeke: 7:44pm On Mar 22, 2013
Oh! how will i 4get dis?
"Onisha is a big city, full of dangerous people and kidnappers".
-Chinua Achebe.
"Chike and the River".
RIP Baba.
Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by Proxytalk: 7:48pm On Mar 22, 2013
"The mound of the fufu was so high that the people eatiing from one end could not see other poeple eating from the other end" -Chinua Achebe
one of the most celebrated exageration in African literature .
Adiue we 'll miss u but thanks for blessing the youths of the whole wide world with ur God given wisdom thru ur books.

14 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by Harmvirus(f): 7:53pm On Mar 22, 2013
when the artist's imagination clashes with life's very reality it creates a heavy conundrum...#there was a country

1 Like

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by plendil: 7:56pm On Mar 22, 2013
"I have watched particularly the chaos in my own state of Anambra where a small clique of renegades, openly boasting its connections in high places, seems determined to turn my homeland into a bankrupt and lawless fiefdom. I am appalled by the brazenness of this clique and the silence, if not connivance, of the Presidency,"

Achebe giving reasons for rejecting the national award Obasanjo conferred on him. (2004)

EPIC!! cheesy

13 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by DonaldGenes(m): 8:11pm On Mar 22, 2013
Am just irresolute now! RIP sir
Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by Soso990240(m): 8:21pm On Mar 22, 2013
vanstanzy:

*Shhh!* Don't let Bluetooth and co stumble on this quote o. Or it'll be war amongst them again. grin grin grin grin grin
u can go about ur normal business..bluetooth has been banned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by Blueboy0402: 8:34pm On Mar 22, 2013
"There was a country". One of Chinua Achebe's recent quotes and parting gift to the world before he passed on. RIP.

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by Ifetex(m): 8:38pm On Mar 22, 2013
LOOKING AT THE KINGS MAUTH ONE WOULD THINK HE NEVER SUCK AT HIS MOTHERS B**BS abi na BR**sT
via... CHINUA ACHEBE @ things fall apart

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by DonCaleb: 8:39pm On Mar 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge: Let's not celebrate a bigot, plz cool

And we won't mind a fool like you.

6 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by eagleeye2: 8:49pm On Mar 22, 2013
“Nobody can teach me who I am. You can describe parts of me, but who I am - and what I need - is something I have to find out myself.” ― Chinua Achebe

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by marex: 8:51pm On Mar 22, 2013
"A people who do not know where the rain beat them, would never know where their bodies would get dried".~ Chinua Achebe :cry

1 Like

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by eagleeye2: 9:22pm On Mar 22, 2013
“Among the Igbo the art of conversation is regarded very highly, and proverbs are the palm-oil with which words are eaten.”
― Chinua Achebe , Things Fall Apart

11 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by Adonike(m): 9:30pm On Mar 22, 2013
eagle,eye:
“Among the Igbo the art of conversation is regarded very highly, and proverbs are the palm-oil with which words are eaten.”
― Chinua Achebe , Things Fall Apart

thé sweetest ever read..

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by BrutusOj(m): 9:31pm On Mar 22, 2013
eagle,eye:

Yeah you are correct. I think that was where he got the title of the book... Things Fall Apart.
u ve been tryin to derail dis topic wit unecesary isue..de topic says quote ur favorite quote(s) by Chinua Achebe,bt ur busy talkin abt how to let us knw where he got d title of things fall apart from...u guys wudnt stop dis yoruba n igbo beef on nairaland...

1 Like

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by cheleku(m): 9:48pm On Mar 22, 2013
"Age was respected among his people, but
achievement was revered. As the elders said, if a
child washed his hands he could eat with kings." -
Things Fall Apart, pg 5.

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by osifred(m): 9:50pm On Mar 22, 2013
The white man came to our land with a bible and a gun. He said let us pray when we opened our eyes he took our land and gave us his bible..chinua achebe

7 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by 3kay945(m): 9:58pm On Mar 22, 2013
When suffering knocks at your door and you
say there is no seat for him, he tells you not
to worry because he has brought his own
stool.
Chinua Achebe

I love this,

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by eagleeye2: 10:04pm On Mar 22, 2013
"A man could not rise above the destiny of his chi. The saying of the elders was not true - that if a man said yea his chi was also affirmed. Here was a man whose chi said nay despite his own affirmation."
Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart.

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by akunjohn(m): 10:28pm On Mar 22, 2013
chess guru:
Am not yoruba, and am certainly not igbo, but respect is earned, and this man has certainly earned the respect of people from all over the world.
J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ because a man has a contrary view to yours doesn't mean his life shouldn't be celebrated.
That's why I like the olden Chinese, and the way of the samurai...even sworn and bitter enemy's had RESPECT for each other.

BTW #it takes a bigot to know
another bigot undecided

well said bro, u certainly hit d bulls eye.
Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by Darey00(m): 10:44pm On Mar 22, 2013
"what do i do when a man defeacates in my obi? Do i sit down and look at him? No,i take a stick and break his head. That is what a man does"
"......this meeting is for men" - Things fall Apart.
".... Asaba is too near. Why doesn't he want to go to Lagos?" - Chike and the River

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by mkoabiola: 10:51pm On Mar 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge: Let's not celebrate a bigot, plz cool
Leave tribalism and celebrate a man of icon.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by EbiJUNIRO(m): 10:56pm On Mar 22, 2013
"things fall apart"
the center cannot hold
mere anarchy is loosed
upon the world
Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by madridsta007(m): 11:21pm On Mar 22, 2013
Wole Soyinka and JP Clark on Chinua Achebe...

''Indeed, we cannot help wondering if the recent insensate massacre of Chinua's people in Kano, only a few days ago, hastened the fatal undermining of that resilient will that had sustained him so many years after his crippling accident''

---------------­---------------­------

Chinua was a man of resilient will. His works are testimony to the domination of the human spirit over the forces of repression

The Nigerian author Chinua Achebe has died at age of 82. Photograph: Mike Cohea/AP
Wole Soyinka and JP Clark

For us, the loss of Chinua Achebe is, above all else, intensely personal. We have lost a brother, a colleague, a trailblazer and a doughty fighter. Of the "pioneer quartet" of contemporary Nigerian literature, two voices have been silenced – one, of the poet Christopher Okigbo, and now, the novelist Chinua Achebe. It is perhaps difficult for outsiders of that intimate circle to appreciate this sense of depletion, but we take consolation in the young generation of writers to whom the baton has been passed, those who have already creatively ensured that there is no break in the continuum of the literary vocation.

We need to stress this at a critical time of Nigerian history, where the forces of darkness appear to overshadow the illumination of existence that literature represents. These are forces that arrogantly pride themselves implacable and brutal enemies of what Chinua and his pen represented, not merely for the African continent, but for humanity. Indeed, we cannot help wondering if the recent insensate massacre of Chinua's people in Kano, only a few days ago, hastened the fatal undermining of that resilient will that had sustained him so many years after his crippling accident.

No matter the reality, after the initial shock, and a sense of abandonment, we confidently assert that Chinua lives. His works provide their enduring testimony to the domination of the human spirit over the forces of repression, bigotry and retrogression.

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by ktravel(m): 11:24pm On Mar 22, 2013
unless the penis dies young,it must surely eat bearded meat...Chinua Achebe.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by wilxz(m): 11:25pm On Mar 22, 2013
if a man comes and shits in my room i wont run away rather i will pick up a stick and break his head. By CHINUA ACHEBE.
Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by phelyxo(m): 11:36pm On Mar 22, 2013
" if we must eat frog, then we shud eat d one dat is sweet and juicy" -Achebe

1 Like

Re: What's Your Favourite Chinua Achebe's Quote by IGBOSON1: 12:10am On Mar 23, 2013
igbosunny: A man who has been helped by a benevolent spirit should not forget to be humble.

A man was told by an oracle that his dead father wanted him to sacrifce a goat for him and the man told the oracle to ask his dead father if he ever own a fowl when he was alive.......Things Fall Apart

^^^Hehehehe grin grin grin Smart man!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Confirmed: Side Boob, YOLO, Cray Are Now English Words / Sequel To "without A Silver Spoon" By Eddie Iroh / The New Story Of Harry Potter And The Cursed Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.