Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,129 members, 7,953,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:14 PM

Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation (16301 Views)

What Jonathan Represents To Nigerians - A Compilation Of Gej's Threads / Governor Chime - I Was Amused Reading My Obituaries / Governor Chime - I Was Amused Reading My Obituaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Classicalman(m): 11:29am On Mar 23, 2013
Akshow: Op for real you expect us to read all this? All this story is boring. Rip the father of African literature will suffice. Abeg Na when be naija match
. Herein lies the problem of our young people today. By the age 14, Chinualumogu Achebe had read more than 20 novels ranging from Shakespeare, Keats, Defoe, e.t.c, yet this Yeye boy is complaining about just a few pages of eulogies. I pity the present generation of kids.

7 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by negosus: 11:44am On Mar 23, 2013
Achebe is a legend. Nigeria, in deed has raised a world icon.
'Things fall apart' is a classic. I am so inspired.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by ACM10: 11:45am On Mar 23, 2013
erniok: After reading how the world all over eulogizes this man, I wonder why some folks here vilify him. Indeed, a prophet is never honored in his hometown

You know that some people are losers in real life. They balk at the mere praise of extremely successful men. But remember that there will always be haters. It's your duty to ignore them and aspire for more greatness

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Olaone1: 12:04pm On Mar 23, 2013
Good job, Kilode?!

RIP, Sir.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by chidexy(m): 12:35pm On Mar 23, 2013
Tribute by the respected Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung in Germany

Der nigerianische Schriftsteller Chinua Achebe ist tot. Der als „Vater der modernen afrikanischen Literatur“ bekannte Autor starb nach kurzer Krankheit in Boston im Alter von 82 Jahren, wie eine Sprecherin seiner Agentur Wylie in New York mitteilte. Achebe schrieb in seiner langen Karriere mehr als 20 Bücher. „Things Fall Apart“ (deutsch: „Okonkwo oder Das Alte stürzt“) gilt als grundlegendes Werk der afrikanischen Literatur. Sein Buch „Termitenhügel in der Savanne“ erschien in Deutschland bei Suhrkamp, der Roman „Alles zerfällt“ bei S. Fischer.

Immer wieder thematisierte er in seinen Werken die Korruption unter afrikanischen Politikern. Aus Kritik an der nigerianischen Regierung lehnte er mehrfach eine offizielle Ehrung durch sein Heimatland ab.

Seit einem schweren Verkehrsunfall im Jahr 1990 war der Nigerianern an den Rollstuhl gefesselt. Damals siedelte er in die Vereinigten Staaten über. Er gewann zahlreiche Preise, darunter 2002 den Friedenspreis des Deutschen Buchhandels. Auch für den Literaturnobelpreis war der Sohn eines christlichen Geistlichen mehrfach im Gespräch.

Achebe wandte sich auch immer wieder gegen die Darstellung Afrikas in der europäischen Literatur, wie beispielsweise in Joseph Conrads „Herz der Finsternis“. In dem Buch, das als Vorbild für die Filme „Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes“ mit Klaus Kinski und „Apokalyse Now“ von Francis Ford Coppola gilt, werden Afrikaner zum Teil als primitive Wilde beschrieben. Es sei falsch, Menschen auf diese Art und Weise darzustellen, sagte Achebe 2009 in einem Interview des US-Senders National Public Radio.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/buecher/chinua-achebe-gestorben-vater-der-afrikanischen-moderne-12124669.html
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by IME1: 12:56pm On Mar 23, 2013
[color=#000000]What can i say so many brilliant people here on Nairaland have expressed very deep sentiments that i agree with however contrasting. I want to use this thread as an opportunity to say that Chinua Achebe was and will always be a model and icon for me. cry I wish his family and loved ones the fortitude to bear his passing, I pray God helps us fulfil our own destinies to the fullest, whether or not we are publicly acclaimed for it, and finally I pray God in His mercies, grant us all eternal life with Him when He calls us from this life,, in Jesus name, amen.
sad

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 1:21pm On Mar 23, 2013
clue:
From your post, you have just told us your mental age!
You don't have to comment on every thread please!
if my comment Pain you, go hang your balls for transformer. Mental age my behind!
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 1:25pm On Mar 23, 2013
Classicalman: . Herein lies the problem of our young people today. By the age 14, Chinualumogu Achebe had read more than 20 novels ranging from Shakespeare, Keats, Defoe, e.t.c, yet this Yeye boy is complaining about just a few pages of eulogies. I pity the present generation of kids.
as if e read the entire thread himself. So i should spend my whole time readin eulogies abi? For idle urchins like you that's possible. No time for that for me.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Proxytalk: 1:30pm On Mar 23, 2013
Im so overwhemend by eulogy and encomiums being poured on late literary icon, Chinua Achebe.
The greatest lesson nigerinans especially youths should learn from him is to LIVE FOR SOMETHING,
One of the quotes that s mind blowing and perhaps most consistence is from Nelson mandela who described achebe as "a writer in whose company the prison wall collapsed"
Anambra aga enwe zi kwa udidi mmadua ozo?
still pondering... and shatterd about his demise and future of Anambra great minds
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 23, 2013
Abeg is achebe a footballer,which Club was he playing for.....that naughty man. Wey no collect national honour
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by taharqa: 1:54pm On Mar 23, 2013
I still am unable to process that he is gone. Achebe was not just my Best writer, he was one of d very very few humans, dead or alive, I took as a Teacher esp as a Scholar and a pan-Africanist.

You can undastad the utter DISGUST I felt when sm small minds (and we unfortunately hv lots of those on NL these days) actuali attemptd to induct him into NL's Hall of Shame cos of HATE and a dilipidating IGNORANCE that rests on Stupidi.ty. The Intervention of @Seun, stopping dat charade, was about d best things he ever did in my view. The alternative wud hv causd INCALCULABLE Damage.

I wish Nigerian Youths can start reasoning FOR themselves, and stop following the CROWD

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by madridsta007(m): 1:54pm On Mar 23, 2013
Wole Soyinka and JP Clark on Chinua Achebe...

''Indeed, we cannot help wondering if the recent insensate massacre of Chinua's people in Kano, only a few days ago, hastened the fatal undermining of that resilient will that had sustained him so many years after his crippling accident''

---------------­---------------­------

Chinua was a man of resilient will. His works are testimony to the domination of the human spirit over the forces of repression

The Nigerian author Chinua Achebe has died at age of 82. Photograph: Mike Cohea/AP
Wole Soyinka and JP Clark

For us, the loss of Chinua Achebe is, above all else, intensely personal. We have lost a brother, a colleague, a trailblazer and a doughty fighter. Of the "pioneer quartet" of contemporary Nigerian literature, two voices have been silenced – one, of the poet Christopher Okigbo, and now, the novelist Chinua Achebe. It is perhaps difficult for outsiders of that intimate circle to appreciate this sense of depletion, but we take consolation in the young generation of writers to whom the baton has been passed, those who have already creatively ensured that there is no break in the continuum of the literary vocation.

We need to stress this at a critical time of Nigerian history, where the forces of darkness appear to overshadow the illumination of existence that literature represents. These are forces that arrogantly pride themselves implacable and brutal enemies of what Chinua and his pen represented, not merely for the African continent, but for humanity. Indeed, we cannot help wondering if the recent insensate massacre of Chinua's people in Kano, only a few days ago, hastened the fatal undermining of that resilient will that had sustained him so many years after his crippling accident.

No matter the reality, after the initial shock, and a sense of abandonment, we confidently assert that Chinua lives. His works provide their enduring testimony to the domination of the human spirit over the forces of repression, bigotry and retrogression.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by taharqa: 1:56pm On Mar 23, 2013
I still am unable to process that he is gone. Achebe was not just my Best writer, he was one of d very very few humans, dead or alive, I took as a Teacher esp as a Scholar and a pan-Africanist... You can undastad the utter DISGUST I felt when sm small minds (and we unfortunately hv lots of those on NL these days) actuali attemptd to induct him into NL's Hall of Shame cos of HATE and a dilipidating IGNORANCE that rests on Stupidi.ty. The Intervention of Seun, stopping dat charade, was about d best things he ever did in my view. The alternative wud hv causd INCALCULABLE Demage..... I wish Nigerian Youths can start reasoning FOR themselves, and stop following the CROWD

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 23, 2013
Akshow: Op for real you expect us to read all this? All this story is boring. Rip the father of African literature will suffice. Abeg Na when be naija match
But if this was a thread about a new D'banj or Wizkid singe/album, you'd have been all over it. I'm pretty sure you read the entire P-square interview on the front page. Nonsense.

This present generation is truly dead on arrival.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by nuelbert: 2:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
A great icon of our time. RIP
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by greedie1(f): 2:49pm On Mar 23, 2013
RIP great man.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 2:49pm On Mar 23, 2013
ItsModella:
But if this was a thread about a new D'banj or Wizkid singe/album, you'd have been all over it. I'm pretty sure you read the entire P-square interview on the front page. Nonsense.

This present generation is truly dead on arrival.
Shut up and stop spewin jargons! Do you belong to another generation?
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 2:52pm On Mar 23, 2013
taharqa: I still am unable to process that he is gone. Achebe was not just my Best writer, he was one of d very very few humans, dead or alive, I took as a Teacher esp as a Scholar and a pan-Africanist... You can undastad the utter DISGUST I felt when sm small minds (and we unfortunately hv lots of those on NL these days) actuali attemptd to induct him into NL's Hall of Shame cos of HATE and a dilipidating IGNORANCE that rests on Stupidi.ty. The Intervention of Seun, stopping dat charade, was about d best things he ever did in my view. The alternative wud hv causd INCALCULABLE Demage..... I wish Nigerian Youths can start reasoning FOR themselves, and stop following the CROWD
unable to process that an 82years old man who has lived life to it fullest wit befittin legacy is gone? Enough of the hypocritical thrash abeg. Why you no wait till you process am before you begin comment. Still to process indeed
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Nobody: 2:54pm On Mar 23, 2013
Akshow: Shut up and stop spewin jargons! Do you belong to another generation?
I'm of this generation alright but I know how to give respect to someone who earned and deserves it.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 23, 2013
Akshow: if my comment Pain you, go hang your balls for transformer. Mental age my behind!
A very responsible post by a very responsible person, who wants us to see him as a very responsible and sensible person!

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Classicalman(m): 3:14pm On Mar 23, 2013
Akshow: as if e read the entire thread himself. So i should spend my whole time readin eulogies abi? For idle urchins like you that's possible. No time for that for me.
Keep on fooling yourself. If it is to do 2go, you will spend 10hrs. Anu mpama.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Classicalman(m): 3:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
taharqa: I still am unable to process that he is gone. Achebe was not just my Best writer, he was one of d very very few humans, dead or alive, I took as a Teacher esp as a Scholar and a pan-Africanist... You can undastad the utter DISGUST I felt when sm small minds (and we unfortunately hv lots of those on NL these days) actuali attemptd to induct him into NL's Hall of Shame cos of HATE and a dilipidating IGNORANCE that rests on Stupidi.ty. The Intervention of @Seun, stopping dat charade, was about d best things he ever did in my view. The alternative wud hv causd INCALCULABLE Demage..... I wish Nigerian Youths can start reasoning FOR themselves, and stop following the CROWD
The so called youths were all ignorant demented YARIBAS. Little wonder then that they behave just like their fathers did before them.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 3:37pm On Mar 23, 2013
ItsModella:
I'm of this generation alright but I know how to give respect to someone who earned and deserves it.
point out any where in my posts where i disrespected the late prof.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 3:42pm On Mar 23, 2013
Classicalman: Keep on fooling yourself. If it is to do 2go, you will spend 10hrs. Anu mpama.
Ewu Burundi what is 'to do 2go'? Silly imp.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Classicalman(m): 3:43pm On Mar 23, 2013
Akshow: point out any where in my posts where i disrespected the late prof.
Akshow: Op for real you expect us to read all this? All this story is boring.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 23, 2013
Classicalman: Akshow: Op for real you expect us to read all this? All this story is boring.
Tell it to him well...
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Akshow: 4:11pm On Mar 23, 2013
Classicalman: Akshow: Op for real you expect us to read all this? All this story is boring.
i can see you both have some nuts loose in your brain. So by sayin the list of eulogies is too long you are implyin that i insulted the personality of a great African literary icon like achebe? I don't know why you lots are so defensive and read meanin to every innocent comment. Why should my personal 'lazy readin attitude' bother you and you see it as an insult to the late prof? I guess you are tribal bigots and so are on the look out for who to drag in your childish Nairaland tribal war. News flash... Una don enter one chance cos i will be the last to rubbish the personality of achebe esp now that he is late. Get a grip of yourself and see beyond your nose and know that not all are ethnic bigots like yourselves. Shalom
Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by 4chi: 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2013
chucky234: ″A man who pays respect to the great
paves way for his own greatness.″- Chinua
Achebe #Legendary Legacies

...unfortunately Achebe himself did not adhere to this cardinal principle when he was running his mouth when Awo died. Hope his ibo kinsmen appreciate his passion for them and they accord him a good burial. Shame, he could have aroused so much national euphoria but for his utterly bigoted fart of a book called "there was a country".

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Classicalman(m): 5:41pm On Mar 23, 2013
Akshow: I am an Ewu Burundi what is 'to do 2go'? I am worse than a Silly imp.
OK. I AGREE WITH YOU.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Classicalman(m): 5:48pm On Mar 23, 2013
4chi:

...unfortunately Achebe himself did not adhere to this cardinal principle when he was running his mouth when Awo died. Hope his ibo kinsmen appreciate his passion for them and they accord him a good burial. Shame, he could have aroused so much national euphoria but for his utterly bigoted fart of a book called "there was a country".
LAST TIME I CHECKED, ECOMIUMS WERE POURING FROM ALL OVER NIGERIA (with d exception of some bigot Yorobbers of course) AND EVEN FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. Accept it dude, AWO was just a local champion and is nowhere as famous and revered the world over than our Prof Chinua Achebe. You may kindly go for a drink of rat poison if e dey pain you for body.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by Kilode1: 6:00pm On Mar 23, 2013
A "TweetObit" from Teju Cole

[size=18pt]@tejucole: Achebe was well known throughout the seven continents and even beyond. His fame rested on solid personal achievements. RIP. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Obituaries - A Compilation by MAYOWAAK: 6:05pm On Mar 23, 2013
Laughs!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

From ‘Civil War Tweet’ To Tax Talks — Timeline How FG, Twitter Negotiation Ended / FG, Governors Blame #EndSARS Protests, Banditry For Hike In Food Prices / NURTW Official Kills Bus Driver In Imo, Park Shops Razed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.