Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,361 members, 7,812,020 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style - Webmasters (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style (18632 Views)

Viviangist Is Now Nairaland New Crush Bloggers Complains / The New Layout Of GtBank's Internet Banking Portal / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using Table For Layout (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Michky: 3:47pm On Mar 23, 2013
Billyonaire: I only suggested Paid VIP Section, a section not the entire forum. Can someone help me tell this dude in vernacular ?
Yes, the sexuality section is not visible to everyone but its been thriving so far. Let me also remind you that the Sexuality section thrives because it is driven by a very strong and popular emotion. This VIP section on the other hand is not as simple as it looks. Besides, what exactly will the members be doing there? Will NL have to create a duplicate forum for you because of your small change? As for me, your vip idea is a no no. My opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by thelastPope(m): 3:48pm On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

Very costly.... but i like the quote notification idea

To me, the reason some of you are advancing for this feature isn't cool. Threads should not only be about you responding to those who quote you. It narrows the debate and I don't think it will help the threads much. People will simply become lazy to read other posts and contribute once they become "locked" into a one on one debate. Especially with the tribal fights on NL. It will either kill some threads or make it very long without substance. And most importantly, a guest reading the thread might find it boring as the debate will not be robust. Just my thought.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Michky: 3:51pm On Mar 23, 2013
caseless: quote notification when u have the textfield below ur page where u can type ur moniker and see where ur post was quoted or id was mentioned? Una wan make seun give everything?
Many people didnt know this before now. I inclusive.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by biolabee(m): 3:55pm On Mar 23, 2013
caseless: quote notification when u have the textfield below ur page where u can type ur moniker and see where ur post was quoted or id was mentioned? Una wan make seun give everything?

Thats like a search field
What they mean is a prompt if ur post is quoted so you can respond in good time and reduce disconnects especially for threads that go viral

Also is it possible to make quoted posts uneditable so that people dont put words in your mouth...
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Michky: 3:57pm On Mar 23, 2013
Michky: Yes, the sexuality section is not visible to everyone but its been thriving so far. Let me also remind you that the Sexuality section thrives because it is driven by a very strong and popular emotion. This VIP section on the other hand is not as simple as it looks. Besides, what exactly will the members be doing there? Will NL have to create a duplicate forum for you because of your small change? As for me, your vip idea is a no no. My opinion though.
Plus, asking for VIP section is same as creating groups which is what FB and goggle+ are doing presently. And as someone already said, not a good idea for NL as that will be equally to DOOM. Fini!
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Nobody: 3:58pm On Mar 23, 2013
Seun if we are quoted here we suppose to be getting an alert at top of nairaland, many people had been quoted unknowingly to them because they don't revisit the thread they comment or posted to reply there citer.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by ewizard1: 3:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
[size=24pt] For now, all we need is an app. A NL app for smooth and easy thread surfing. Pls meditate on this!!! God bless all NL Team.[/size]
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Caseless: 4:01pm On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

Not on my PC, its so huge i feel my eyes can fall in
Id it is for ads.. it can be broken into small grid like boxes to break the seeming vacuity

#MuchWhiteSpace undecided undecided undecided
i've noticed that on my fone. It does not drift from side-side anymore like it used to be.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by biolabee(m): 4:03pm On Mar 23, 2013
thelastPope:

To me, the reason some of you are advancing for this feature isn't cool. Threads should not only be about you responding to those who quote you. It narrows the debate and I don't think it will help the threads much. People will simply become lazy to read other posts and contribute once they become "locked" into a one on one debate. Especially with the tribal fights on NL. It will either kill some threads or make it very long without substance. And most importantly, a guest reading the thread might find it boring as the debate will not be robust. Just my thought.

you are right in a funny way

Michky: Many people didnt know this before now. I inclusive.

just tried it now and it works!!

GOOD JOB CASELESS! cheesy grin wink
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by thelastPope(m): 4:09pm On Mar 23, 2013
ewizard1: [size=24pt] For now, all we need is an app. A NL app for smooth and easy thread surfing. Pls meditate on this!!! God bless all NL Team.[/size]

I disagree. I know seun has asked for app programmers. But I will beg him to thread carefully. Mobile chat app is the opposite of NL. If you turn NL to mobile chat app, NL is done. Sometimes, you have to do a good business analysis before you make a move. Yahoo made the same mistake and the rest is history. Seun, don't do a NL chat app. You can do a chat app that and use the NL brand and platform to push it, but don't turn NL to an app. I don talk my own.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by otokx(m): 4:09pm On Mar 23, 2013
Was mobile and did not notice until i switched to laptop mode... its ok.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Nobody: 4:10pm On Mar 23, 2013
citer alert is too important for this forum it maybe strenuous but the longterm benefit will behoove it
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Caseless: 4:19pm On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

Thats like a search field
What they mean is a prompt if ur post is quoted so you can respond in good time and reduce disconnects especially for threads that go viral

Also is it possible to make quoted posts uneditable so that people dont put words in your mouth...
u need no alert wen u have that search botton down there. If u expecting ur post to be quoted or id mentioned, why not search? It Is that simple.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by biolabee(m): 4:20pm On Mar 23, 2013
^^^ Point made. nice one!

Can we have a floating Go Up or down button at the side
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Caseless: 4:24pm On Mar 23, 2013
Michky: Many people didnt know this before now. I inclusive.
u can enjoy and teach others too. Thank u!
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by tivta(m): 4:25pm On Mar 23, 2013
Seun try and make a app like the type crackberry has for blackberry, dont worry its not a chat app. This will futher increase the online duration of NL members that are addicted, like me. Believe me its the way forward. The app should have always on connectivity that alerts users of posts made to threads the user has comments on. Plus ability to reply threads straight from the app. Think about it.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:27pm On Mar 23, 2013
I wish Seun restored the poll option. i used to like it. it was good for peoples opinions and surveys. sad
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Caseless: 4:29pm On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee: ^^^ Point made. nice one!

Can we have a floating Go Up or down button at the side
noted! The 'go up or down' look analogue to me.....sometimes it dosnt respond to command.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Michky: 4:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
caseless: u can enjoy and teach others too. Thank u!
Will do just that. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Caseless: 4:31pm On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

just tried it now and it works!!

GOOD JOB CASELESS! cheesy grin wink
it's my pleasure and honor,sir.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Caseless: 4:32pm On Mar 23, 2013
Michky: Will do just that. Thanks.
u are welcome!
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by biolabee(m): 4:37pm On Mar 23, 2013
caseless: noted! The 'go up or down' look analogue to me.....sometimes it dosnt respond to command.

Yep it means i only have to at the top or bottom to speed up viewing pages
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by thelastPope(m): 4:42pm On Mar 23, 2013
H$LBroker:
Seun if we are quoted here we suppose to be getting an alert at top of nairaland, many people had been quoted unknowingly to them because they don't revisit the thread they comment or posted to reply there citer.

I don't know how much Seun makes from NL but some of you need to also consider the business implication of this. Sending a notification mail, depending on the site traffic, can be a huge cost. That means, if there are 50000 quotes a day, the server will send 50000 emails. That is in addition to what the server already processes. But like I said, I don't know what Seun really earns so maybe he can afford it.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Afam4eva(m): 4:46pm On Mar 23, 2013
thelastPope:

I don't know how much Seun makes from NL but some of you need to also consider the business implication of this. Sending a notification mail, depending on the site traffic, can be a huge cost. That means, if there are 50000 quotes a day, the server will send 50000 emails. That is in addition to what the server already processes. But like I said, I don't know what Seun really earns so maybe he can afford it.

But you know there's a benefit derived from doing that which in turn becomes cash for his pocket. Sending notifications of mentions will definitely bring a lot of people back to Nairaland which will invariably increase the click rate of the ads.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by 0Edward0(m): 4:53pm On Mar 23, 2013
EmmanuelOnu: I was the one that first noticed when it was changed!!! UP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lizard
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by thelastPope(m): 4:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
Afam4eva:

But you know there's a benefit derived from doing that which in turn becomes cash for his pocket. Sending notifications of mentions will definitely bring a lot of people back to Nairaland which will invariably increase the click rate of the ads.

Good point.

So it is a question of server cost against increased traffic revenue. I am only thinking Seun probably still runs a one or two server kind of hosting. Big players like FB run serious dispersed clusters of servers all around the world with top notch load balancing. My concern is if the hosting is not top notch, it will grossly affect performance.

But you are a mod so should know better so I will let it rest.
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Revolva(m): 5:30pm On Mar 23, 2013
I can't see any changes ooo...I beg
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by chucky234(m): 5:33pm On Mar 23, 2013
Billyonaire: This is why I need VIP Section, someone needs to pay to come hurl stones at me.
Let's see what the cost will be then
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by Seun(m): 6:01pm On Mar 23, 2013
Billyonaire: Why are the calls for paid VIP section not listened to ? I keep asking for it.
Our goal is to make every section of nairaland feel like a VIP section.

olempe: Oga Seun, abeg when you go do the "unlike" button??
We're thinking about it, but for now, you can report or posts you don't like if they are against the rules. If not, then you can quote them and correct the creators of such posts.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by playahP(m): 6:27pm On Mar 23, 2013
I swear I can't notice anything!
Re: Nairaland's New Background And Layout Style by kramer: 7:39pm On Mar 23, 2013
thelastPope:

I concur... A simple notice at the top of forum (just like "followed topics" and "following"wink would suffice.

Moreover, email notifications may become spam after sometime and very annoying

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Facebook To Begin Charging For Messages / . / How Naijaloaded Elevated From Bedroom To A Global Brand – Makinde Azeez Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.