Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,205 members, 7,811,555 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:33 PM

Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? (898 Views)

poem: nna anyi,is it true, Tribute To Chinua Achebe By Dike Chukwumerije (video) / Chinua Achebe Publishes Biafran Memoir / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 11:26pm On Mar 24, 2013
Could Chinua Achebe have made it if he was just starting out these days? In his time there were practically no writers and the white publishers desperate to find African writing talents able to tell African stories to African children grabbed just anyone they could find just to create a new market for themselves. Heck, half-literate Amos Tutuola even got published! I think if CA was freshly looking for a publisher today he could probably have been frustrated to become a motor spare parts dealer instead. Anyone disagrees? I mean where are quality publishers these days?
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 7:21am On Mar 25, 2013
Front page please
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by Mynd44: 7:27am On Mar 25, 2013
thelonestranger: Front page please
I like this topic and would love to nominate it for front page but the last paragraph made it look like you want to insult him instead of raising some real points
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 11:35am On Mar 25, 2013
Mynd_44:
I like this topic and would love to nominate it for front page but the last paragraph made it look like you want to insult him instead of raising some real points

I don't get it. There is only one paragraph. Do you mean selling motor spare parts is insulting or any post that does not praise Chinua Achebe is insulting? Please explain yourself
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by Mynd44: 11:50am On Mar 25, 2013
thelonestranger:

I don't get it. There is only one paragraph. Do you mean selling motor spare parts is insulting or any post that does not praise Chinua Achebe is insulting? Please explain yourself
Edit that part out and I will nominate the thread. Keep it and it remains here. Thank you
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 1:35pm On Mar 25, 2013
Mynd_44:
Edit that part out and I will nominate the thread. Keep it and it remains here. Thank you

Wonderful! LOL
I am sure you will soon be carrying a placard in support of free speech and against government censorship. Well done sir!
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by Mynd44: 2:32pm On Mar 25, 2013
I am in support of free speech but nominating a thread which might lead to a tribal war is not something I would even consider
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by Mayor46(m): 5:26pm On Mar 25, 2013
I dont think he can make it coz back then people were reading alot not nowadays
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 9:03pm On Mar 25, 2013
Mynd_44: I am in support of free speech but nominating a thread which might lead to a tribal war is not something I would even consider

LOL.He/she believes in free speech selectively. Even CA whom you are protecting wasn't so committed to censorship at least not to the extent of believing that a paragraph of writing could cause tribal war. Never mind' enjoy yourself.
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by felifeli: 10:15pm On Mar 25, 2013
thelonestranger:

LOL.He/she believes in free speech selectively. Even CA whom you are protecting wasn't so committed to censorship at least not to the extent of believing that a paragraph of writing could cause tribal war. Never mind' enjoy yourself.
oh no! don't invite the vultures!
My take is that Chinua Achebe would have had as bad a time as the young people trying unsuccessfully these days to get published. He certainly could have very well given up, and a future star will have been lost. Shame he made no effort to help younger writers come close to their own dreams anyway. But this is coming too late now. RIP Chinua Achebe.
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by princesa(f): 10:28pm On Mar 25, 2013
@topic
I really don't think he would have made it this big, cos right now they are more seasoned writers than you can count but their stories are made available at giveaway price, like down here in Nairalandsad

@poster
stop being so dramatic, and make a slight editing in your post, that last line isnt funny, expressive or reflective of whatever you had in mind, stop being so egotistical and give your thread the chance it need to soar higher, cos its a nice topic everyone would like to comment inwink
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 10:54pm On Mar 25, 2013
princesa: @topic
I really don't think he would have made it this big, cos right now they are more seasoned writers than you can count but their stories are made available at giveaway price, like down here in Nairalandsad

@poster
stop being so dramatic, and make a slight editing in your post, that last line isnt funny, expressive or reflective of whatever you had in mind, stop being so egotistical and give your thread the chance it need to soar higher, cos its a nice topic everyone would like to comment inwink

Thank you I refuse to bow to unreasonable censorship. He/she can bloody well delete the post if he/she finds it so offensive. The man dies in him who...
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by princesa(f): 11:10pm On Mar 25, 2013
ego kills men cool
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by Mynd44: 12:37am On Mar 26, 2013
thelonestranger:

Thank you I refuse to bow to unreasonable censorship. He/she can bloody well delete the post if he/she finds it so offensive. The man dies in him who...
If I wanted to censor it, I could just censor the write up myself
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 6:50am On Mar 26, 2013
Mynd_44:
If I wanted to censor it, I could just censor the write up myself

Yes go ahead; you seem quite capable of doing such things effortlessly.
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 6:52am On Mar 26, 2013
thelonestranger: Could Chinua Achebe have made it if he was just starting out these days? In his time there were practically no writers and the white publishers desperate to find African writing talents able to tell African stories to African children grabbed just anyone they could find just to create a new market for themselves. Heck, half-literate Amos Tutuola even got published! I think if CA was freshly looking for a publisher today he could probably have been frustrated to become a motor spare parts dealer instead. Anyone disagrees? I mean where are quality publishers these days?
I repeat.
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by princesa(f): 10:23am On Mar 26, 2013
what's the point at the end
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by luvmijeje(f): 12:53pm On Mar 26, 2013
Op the question you should have ask, is will today writers made it during Achebe's era.He was called the father of African literature for a reason.He was a pioneer,he tread where no one else was bold to tried.
He was a legend and shall be honour as such.Though he became an irresponsible author in his twilight,op whose footstep you are already following through ur writeup.
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by felifeli: 4:14pm On Mar 26, 2013
luvmijeje: Op the question you should have ask, is will today writers made it during Achebe's era.He was called the father of African literature for a reason.He was a pioneer,he tread where no one else was bold to tried.
He was a legend and shall be honour as such.Though he became an irresponsible author in his twilight,op whose footstep you are already following through ur writeup.

{Yawn} Amos Tutuola , DO Fagunwa and several other writers were published before Achebe by the way. Don't make it sound as if VChinua Achebe is the first African to write a book. And as he confessed, Things Fall Apart was heavily edited by the white publisher before it could be published. So it wasn't as if he was a genius. I quite understand the OP's question too. OP swallow your pride and obey the moderator grin
{Yawn}
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by luvmijeje(f): 5:41pm On Mar 26, 2013
felifeli:

{Yawn} Amos Tutuola , DO Fagunwa and several other writers were published before Achebe by the way. Don't make it sound as if VChinua Achebe is the first African to write a book. And as he confessed, Things Fall Apart was heavily edited by the white publisher before it could be published. So it wasn't as if he was a genius. I quite understand the OP's question too. OP swallow your pride and obey the moderator grin
{Yawn}
*Yawn* pardon me,fine he may not be the first African to write but he was one the pioneer of modern day African literature that is why the popular known alias 'the father of Africa literature' but the question still remain,can today writer made it during his era.*Yawn again*
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 11:51am On Mar 27, 2013
felifeli:

{Yawn}
Never! I will let it remain as a testimony to crass censorship
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by thelonestranger: 11:57am On Mar 27, 2013
luvmijeje:
*Yawn* pardon me,fine he may not be the first African to write but he was one the pioneer of modern day African literature that is why the popular known alias 'the father of Africa literature' but the question still remain,can today writer made it during his era.*Yawn again*

You look like that person always failing exams by telling the lecturer he has provided the wrong questions.na wah o.Answer my question.
BTw who was it that coined that father of africa literature nonsense. The person(s) obviously know veryt little about Africa literature otherwise they must be CA's publishers and PR agents.
Re: Could Chinua Achebe Make It As A New Writer Today? by luvmijeje(f): 1:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
thelonestranger:

You look like that person always failing exams by telling the lecturer he has provided the wrong questions.na wah o.Answer my question.
BTw who was it that coined that father of africa literature nonsense. The person(s) obviously know veryt little about Africa literature otherwise they must be CA's publishers and PR agents.
Lol,actually lecturers do set wrong questions that is why the word 'bonus questions.'
For me to answer your question properly,pls do answer my question.
The word 'nonsense' you used to refer to Achebe alias shows the mischieve behind your question.

(1) (Reply)

Why Letter Writing Has Become A Forgotten Art / My Intern At Cocacola: Nbc / The Fictional Tale Of A Struggling Teenager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.