Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) (16839 Views)

Photos Of Alamieyeseigha On Life Support Before His Death / Bayelsa Govt. Reveals Real Cause Of Alamieyeseigha’s Death / Army Sends Back Pardoned Soldiers To Fight Bokoharam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by WizPrince1(m): 10:02am On Mar 25, 2013
THE HULABALU OVER PRESIDENTIAL PARDON GRANTED BY GEJ.

So many people were worried about GEJ'S Pardon - but why.

=> THEN YOU NEED TO SEE THE LIST OF PEOPLE PARDONED BY PRES. BILL CLINTON. Below

As President., Bill Clinton granted pardon & clemency to 456 people, thus commuting the sentences of those already convicted of crime & obviating a trial for those not yet convicted.

On 20th Jan, 2001, he pardoned 140 people in the final hours of his presidency. Some of those pardoned include:

1. Bob F. Griffin- 4mr speaker of the Missouri House of Reps who was serving 2yrs on bribery charges.

2. Anold Paul Prosperi- Florida Attoney convicted tax fraud.

3. Melvin J. Reynolds- Demo congressman frm Illinois convicted for bank fraud & obstruction of justice

4. Dorothy Rivers- Convicted for $1.2m theft.

5. Peter McDonald-Servin ­g 14yrs for fraud & racketeering.

In all of these, no International community heard or sanctioned anybody And yet The Same US didn't say anything when Bill Clinton did this. But When it happens in Nigeria, it is now a never-heard-of and having insults from some bloody sentimented people.

­ We must give GEJ the needed support to succeed and Nigeria will move forward.

Courtesy: https://m./188963351169695
The Social Voices Of Umeh Town - Delta State, Nigeria.

38 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by mikolo80: 11:12am On Mar 25, 2013
SEE AS PPL SILENT.WE TOO LIKE HIGH SERVICE FOR DIS OBODO NAIJA

2 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by kingblosky: 11:53am On Mar 25, 2013
Why then did Jesus come in the first place ?. We pray God to forgive us our trespasses but we Nigerians never want to forgive . Jesus even pardoned a thief on the cross.!! Have you forgotten ? .. I see Nothing wrong in what Jonathan did.

5 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by Kairoseki77: 12:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
What does Bill Clinton have to do with Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by kuluTemper: 12:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
@Wiz_Prince: You categorically stated that the people Bill Clinton pardoned are all Ex-convict! Ask yourself over and over again, Is Diepreye Alamieyeseigha an EX-CONVICT?

He is still a CONVICT!. He dares not set his foot outside the shores of Nigeria. Ibori will advise him not to anyway, because he got a taste of it.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by DeepSight(m): 12:54pm On Mar 25, 2013
No one doubts that the action is within the powers and discretion of the president.

Discretion, however, by very definition, must be deployed advisedly.

In a country riven with public sector corruption requiring massive surgical anti-corruption intervention, Jonathan's act simply sends the wrong message. Nigeria has been so destroyed and its future and children disabled - that we should actually be considering tougher measures against corruption, and certainly not being seen at this time to pardon corrupt public officers. It sends the wrong message and affirms that the GEJ administration, whatever else may be its merits, has absolutely no intention of lifting a finger against official corruption in this country: because the president is personally corrupt.

4 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by trillville(m): 12:55pm On Mar 25, 2013
@wizprince, if gej had pardoned alams at the end of his tenure, the international condemnation he is receiving would not have been this bad. What gej is saying to nigerians and the world at large is if you are his friend, you can steal as much as you want and nothing will happen to you.

If gej had granted this pardon at the end of his tenure, he would simply be pardoning alams and no other person. Since his tenure would have been almost over, none of his other friends will have the audacity to steal more money.

I hope I have given you a better understanding? The timing of gej's act is worse than the act itself.

1 Like

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by tomakint: 12:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
Wiz-Prince:
THE HULABALU OVER PRESIDENTIAL PARDON GRANTED BY GEJ.

So many people were worried about GEJ'S Pardon - but why.

=> THEN YOU NEED TO SEE THE LIST OF PEOPLE PARDONED BY PRES. BILL CLINTON. Below

As President., Bill Clinton granted pardon & clemency to 456 people, thus commuting the sentences of those already convicted of crime & obviating a trial for those not yet convicted.

On 20th Jan, 2001, he pardoned 140 people in the final hours of his presidency. Some of those pardoned include:

1. Bob F. Griffin- 4mr speaker of the Missouri House of Reps who was serving 2yrs on bribery charges.

2. Anold Paul Prosperi- Florida Attoney convicted tax fraud.

3. Melvin J. Reynolds- Demo congressman frm Illinois convicted for bank fraud & obstruction of justice

4. Dorothy Rivers- Convicted for $1.2m theft.

5. Peter McDonald-Servin ­g 14yrs for fraud & racketeering.

In all of these, no International community heard or sanctioned anybody And yet The Same US didn't say anything when Bill Clinton did this. But When it happens in Nigeria, it is now a never-heard-of and having insults from some bloody sentimented people.

­ We must give GEJ the needed support to succeed and Nigeria will move forward.

Courtesy: https://m./188963351169695
The Social Voices Of Umeh Town - Delta State, Nigeria.
The reason for the hullabaloo is not far-fetched, simply because JONATHAN is in charge undecided
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by DeepSight(m): 12:58pm On Mar 25, 2013
trillville: @wizprince, if gej had pardoned alams at the end of his tenure, the international condemnation he is receiving would not have been this bad. What gej is saying to nigerians and the world at large is if you are his friend, you can steal as much as you want and nothing will happen to you.

If gej had granted this pardon at the end of his tenure, he would simply be pardoning alams and no other person. Since his tenure would be over none of his other friends will have the audacity to steal more money.

I hope I have given you a better understanding? The timing of gej's act is worse than the act itself.

In the context of Nigeria's debilitating official corruption, no Nigerian president should be seen to be granting a pardon to any corrupt ex public official, period.

4 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by DeepSight(m): 1:01pm On Mar 25, 2013
tomakint:
The reason for the hullabaloo is not far-fetched, simply because JONATHAN is in charge undecided

The reason for your post is not far fetched either.

It is because you have no sense of decency whatsoever, no perspective on the travails and the r.ape of your fatherland, and its unborn generations, and no desire to see a decisive stand taken against corruption in your country. In summary, I conclude that you either are, or someday hope to be, a beneficiary of the continuing r.ape of Nigeria's coffers. Carry on. R.ape well, and ensure you have a perfect hard on while you are at it.

13 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by trillville(m): 1:03pm On Mar 25, 2013
Deep Sight:

In the context of Nigeria's debilitating official corruption, no Nigerian president should be seen to be granting a pardon to any corrupt ex public official, period.

If other corrupt officials are treated the same way alams was treated, Nigeria will be better. Alams is not the only thief.

2 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by tomakint: 1:06pm On Mar 25, 2013
Deep Sight:

The reason for your post is not far fetched either.

It is because you have no sense of decency whatsoever, no perspective on the travails and the r.ape of your fatherland, and its unborn generations, and no desire to see a decisive stand taken against corruption in your country. In summary, I conclude that you either are, or someday hope to be, a beneficiary of the continuing r.ape of Nigeria's coffers. Carry on. R.ape well, and ensure you have a perfect hard on while you are at it.
Even though you come by the handle "Deep Sight" you still can't see! Check it, "Eyes that look are common, eyes that see are rare".....perhaps you will tell us how your above stated psychobabbles can be related to the issue of Jonathan!

1 Like

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by DeepSight(m): 1:08pm On Mar 25, 2013
trillville:

If other corrupt officials are treated the same way alams was treated, Nigeria will be better. Alams is not the only thief.

And perhaps the way Bode George was treated as well? Look most people are willing to sit out 18 months or so in prison in exchange for a few billions, you know? Its a great deal: I would certainly take it - if I know that I can fetch a pardon afterwards, and in the case of these two, still hobnob with Presidents and the powerful of the land!

Think!

By the way, Alams was not convicted under this government. As such, you cannot credit his conviction to Jonathan's "anti-corruption" stance. All this govt has done in his case is pardon him.

2 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by DeepSight(m): 1:09pm On Mar 25, 2013
tomakint:
Even though you come by the handle "Deep Sight" you still can't see! Check it, "Eyes that look are common, eyes that see are rare".....perhaps you will tell us how your above stated psychobabbles can be related to the issue of Jonathan!

The bold in your post would answer that, son.

Sadly, in this case, I would have thought that all eyes should see the obvious.
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by tomakint: 1:11pm On Mar 25, 2013
Deep Sight:

The bold in your post would answer that, son.

Sadly, in this case, I would have thought that all eyes should see the obvious.
Can you please elucidate further, perhaps you know something most of us here don't know about Nigerian Politics, I am waiting son cool
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by bunchyproject(m): 1:11pm On Mar 25, 2013
Coool
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by firstolalekan(m): 1:13pm On Mar 25, 2013
[size=18pt]WHATS MY BUSINESS[/size]

NONSENSE THREADS MTHEEEEEWU!

1 Like

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by Ajiswaggs(m): 1:13pm On Mar 25, 2013
so boring mehn angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by ajos(m): 1:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
pardoning is good for criminal lyk pickin pocket theif,chicken/goat theif,aged criminals,minor crime offence....and not dis high profile THEIF....dats not fair person theif goat dey suffer for jail and heavy known criminal get pardon.....who is foolin who....?bayelsans hobby

1 Like

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 25, 2013
OK
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by livethinme: 1:19pm On Mar 25, 2013
You know under Clinton 23 million jobs were created oh and he maintained US's position as the strongest economy in the world and his government left with a surplus (which Bush destroyed).

What was that about GEJ again?

3 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by mosquitoNet(m): 1:21pm On Mar 25, 2013
I hereby declare this thread to be remove from FP!
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by Gabrielsylar(m): 1:21pm On Mar 25, 2013
Reuben abati sent d foolish poster.....ieeediot why didn't obama pardon howard madoff?
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by DeepSight(m): 1:22pm On Mar 25, 2013
tomakint:
Can you please elucidate further, perhaps you know something most of us here don't know about Nigerian Politics, I am waiting son cool

Ol boy, wetin you wan make I talk again? You live in a country that ought to, by now, have imposed the death penalty on acts of official corruption. I personally do not support capital punishment, but something similar to that is the sort of harsh level on which we need to be thinking as per corruption. A radical and very harsh stance has to be taken with it.

We should have a whistle-blower reward system put in place. You catch the thief, you receive a small percentage of the recoveries. Incentive for whistle blowers to blow whistles and blow them fast and hard in a greedy society.

After that, Life-Imprisonment, non negotiable, no possibility of parole, no plea bargaining. All assets forfeited to the states. All honors/ awards forfeited. No bank accounts permitted. Solitary confinement for life, no exceptions. Deny the president powers of pardon for corruption cases. Abolish official immunity from prosecution while in office. Have the EFCC report either to the Supreme Court or the Senate or better still, both; or have it selected and report to the National Judical Commission or other independent body. Remove its investigations from the purview of the Attorney General. Re structure the EFCC to ensure that it is not susceptible to control by the executive of the day. Include Media and International watchdogs on its board.

On top of all that, arrest every person who has held public office in Nigeria since 1979 and cannot explain his total assets legitimately. All of them must declare all their assets and explain them all. Any failure to do this = Life Imprisonment with the conditions I stated above: solitary confinement, no possibility of parole or pardon, forfeiture of all assets.

Revoke all oil blocks granted to politicians. Establish a Resource Control Allocation Commission. Place Media and International Watchdogs on its boards. I could go on and on, son: but the point is simply that in the midst of all the drastic steps that need to be taken, the last thing on your mind should be granting a pardon to a corrupt ex public officer.

7 Likes

Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 25, 2013
Op, u seriously trying to compare bill clinton and jonathan, dont just compare who and who they pardoned, compare what they both achieved in office.
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by Cosmore9(m): 1:23pm On Mar 25, 2013
Though,I dnt wanna talk on dis topic......But I won't stop writing untill u guys welkm me to dis forum.I am a new member so I deserve a welkm 4rm pals....and pals who wuld move me round d forum (Girls and Boys)! Oya I am waiting 4 ur welkm!
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by trillville(m): 1:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
Deep Sight:

And perhaps the way Bode George was treated as well? Look most people are willing to sit out 18 months or so in prison in exchange for a few billions, you know? Its a great deal: I would certainly take it - if I know that I can fetch a pardon afterwards, and in the case of these two, still hobnob with Presidents and the powerful of the land!

Think!

By the way, Alams was not convicted under this government. As such, you cannot credit his conviction to Jonathan's "anti-corruption" stance. All this govt has done in his case is pardon him.

Corruption is systemic in nigeria, I feel rather than critising gej for pardoning his benefactor, we should be pushing gej to write an executive bill to increase the penalty for being convicted for corruption.
Gej does not respond to criticism. This should be obvious to all by now. We still have atleast two years to go before his tenure is over and with the serious lack of education amongst nigerians, chances are that he may win another term.

Most minorities rightfully feel victimized in Nigeria, so give the president a break for pardoning his minority Godfather.
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by Nobody: 1:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
livethinme: You know under Clinton 23 million jobs were created oh and he maintained US's position as the strongest economy in the world and his government left with a surplus (which Bush destroyed).

What was that about GEJ again?

THANK YOU jare

let us compare like for like

besides, why is clinton a yardstick?

the us president gej has always tried to ape is obama

social media things, family in the public eye, authoring 'wind of hope'. . .who has obama pardoned?
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by trillville(m): 1:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by gameboy727(m): 1:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
Well, I guess its not only Nigerians then. This is my very first comment. I just joined nairaland and am on the first page.
Re: List Of People Pardoned By Bill Clinton (Re: GEJ's Pardon Of Alamieyeseigha) by Nobody: 1:25pm On Mar 25, 2013
Cos Clinton pardoned some criminals makes it right for GEJ to pardon a wanted man?last time i checked,we are NIGERIANS and not Americans......cos the congress makes it ok for people of same sex beliefs to serve in the US military does not mean we as Africans will do same,how d hell do some Nigerians think?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Primary School Students In Daura Pray For Buhari's Recovery (Photos) / Fani-kayode To Spend 14 Days A Renewable Order In EFCC Custody / 1.7 Billion Donation: President Buhari Has Secured 12 Million Votes - BMO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.