Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:00 AM

Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles - Investment (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles (18435 Views)

MUST READ!!! Business You Can Do With Just A Mere N500 In Nigeria As Of Today. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by davesndy: 12:43am On Mar 26, 2013
pazienza: Economy is improving i hear, but how can this be,when the common man on the street can't feel this impact.
Maybe i don't know how these things work,cos i'm not an economist.
Anyway,someone should help me and beg phcn,the power supply in my area(Aba) is now poor,running a business on generator is not that easy at all.
Let the common man on d street go and work! Then they will understand d impact. As for light, I tell u d truth, until Nigerians wake up and think, there wnt be any solution. Get an inverter and a small gen to charge it. As for me, an inverter, a solar panel and dia is no pole wire near my house, I now have constant light. Long live Nigeria
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by sweetcheecks(f): 1:03am On Mar 26, 2013
paddy_lo: [size=14pt]For those asking for the original Business-day link here it is below.

Now pessimists stop complaining and see what u can take out of or gain from the article[/size]

http://businessdaynigeria.com/investors-turn-nigeria-safrica-struggles

Thank you paddy I am now happy to have seen this still do not believe requesting a link earned all the insults.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by talktimi(m): 1:25am On Mar 26, 2013
Nigerians are generally a sad lot, they'll only be happy when negative news is written. Or generates from the country. If una like, no go hustle.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by preciousoz: 3:02am On Mar 26, 2013
Benefits of Sanusi Banking Reform...

1 Like

Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by iykak47: 3:09am On Mar 26, 2013
Adura_ngba: This is not the kind of news that excites NairaLanders. They just want to hear negative stories about Nigeria to make them c....u.m in their pants.
Nothing but the truth. All because of 2015
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by ogathetop3: 4:40am On Mar 26, 2013
taharqa: When some of us were saying these same stuff here, some GOONS here would be spitting Thrash- the ONLY thing they know how to do.

I have ALWAYS asked on this forum what area has deteriorated since GEJ took over (apart from Security, perhaps- which is unfortunate by the way). Every index indicate some level of PROGRESS on all other ares/sectors- Rails, Power, Roads, Cost of Governance, Elections, Inland ports, Transparency in Government, Airports, Seaports, Education etc etc; some of these areas may admittedly not be fast enough (like Education) and we CERTAINLY have not even gotten close to where we ought to be as a nation in each of these areas- BUT there is PROGRESS, and afterall, an Admin CANNOT be expected to clear the INCREDIBLE MESS which have been ACCUMULATING for some Decades and which it met, in less than 3 years; BUT the point is that PROGRESS is clearly been made in MOST of these areas.

- Nigeria is presently undertaking what have been described as the 'largest Privatization and Reforms in the Power Sector in the world', a relatively Transparent process that is in its concluding stages; as well as building almost 500 Power related projects (in Generation, Transmission, Distribution) SIMULTANEOUSLY, as well as the associated Gas infrastructure;

- In less than 3 years, Nigeria is Resuscitating 3000kms of its old Railways system (Lagos-Kano, PH-Maiduguri and their may associated Spur Lines) which had been deteriorating since the 1980s and which was virtually DEAD for about 10-15 years, as well as building new Standard Lines in pats of the country (by both the FG and some State Govts like Lagos);

- Nigeria is almost SIMULTANEOUSLY Remodeling/Reconstructing its entire Decrepit Domestic Airports, building new Cargo terminals and on the verge of building 5 new Standard International Terminals; just as it is significantly upgrading Airport Related facilities, especially in terms of safety (Total Radar Cover, VHF Communication Systems, Dopplar Weather Systems, Alternative Power Supply System etc);

- Nigeria is fixing its key FEDERAL Roads at a pace not seen in years, with significant improvements already felt on some of these key roads;

- Nigeria is improving Services in Older Seaports as Private Concessioning of the ports deepen and the Time to Clear Goods in those ports (and hence Demorrage Costs) significantly reduces; just as 4 Inland Water ports are SIMULTANEOUSLY been built in the country, etc etc.

Investors know of some of these Infrastructure upgrades and many more (some of them ongoing); they know of the improved FISCAL environment been midwifed by people like Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi and Aganga as they article also indicates. They know of the opportunities cropping up in the Agriculture sector cos of the REVOLUTION in that sector been midwifed by another Reformist, current Agric Minister (and personally, the best in the Cabinet) Dr Adesina, and many other areas opening up like Power, COnsumer Goods Industry, Manufacturing, Mining etc. In fact, they know that Nigeria's Infrastructural inadequacies are avenues for massive investments and profits, coupled with the large and Dynamic population of Nigeria- an investor, esp in Africa, would be 'Mad' not to seriously look towards Nigeria.

Those ENEMIES OF NIGERIA who have chosen to make the Govt of GEJ 'ungovernable' Or create that IMPRESSION, whether through Boko Haram Bombings or through a Shameless and unimaginable Media PROPAGANDA, are FAILING and would continue to FAIL.

God bless the President and his team; and God bless this our GREAT country, NIGERIA. May it continue to SOAR HIGHER, and fulfill that GREAT Promise it always was, in our Life time. AMEN.

Story, story, stooory! There goes another sycophant. Beautiful figures and indices. Mouth watering projects, Grand restructing,world class privatisation, ports, railway(when Maina is cruising their Pension) Aviation(when DANA flies with inpunity)Transparency (When the only Oil marketer being prosecuted is Farouk)....... We've gone over these stories like a thousand times. FG to spend 100bn on XYZ, FG to construct a bridge accross the Atlantic....

The funny thing is, the only thing that turns out transformed is the bank accounts of our dear Ogas @ the top.You can be sure every dime earmarked for the beautiful picture painted by my dear comrade will be spent, then we will be left wondering if the projects were designed to be invisible.

Results speak for themselves! If you are in Lagos, you will KNOW that Fashola is working, Rochas is shining so bright that GEJ's EFFC has resorted to blackmail.That is what we are talking about! When GEJ starts getting it right, we will all know. Until then, Please don't confuse us with figures, percentages and beautiful projects 'at the verge of beeing executed'.

We have been at the verge for a very long time in case you haven't noticed. Our lives have been very beautiful on those pages for too long. We need to live in those Ivory towers and when we start moving in, we can talk about progress not before ever there is a stone breaking.

God bless Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by Nobody: 6:37am On Mar 26, 2013
I've been reading through that business day report and I can't stop laughing. Now here is another report which states the opposite.
http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/futurecapetown/124706/will-nigeria-overtake-south-africa-africa-s-powerhouse

2 Likes

Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by manie(m): 7:10am On Mar 26, 2013
DictatorZAR: I've been reading through that business day report and I can't stop laughing. Now here is another report which states the opposite.
http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/futurecapetown/124706/will-nigeria-overtake-south-africa-africa-s-powerhouse

Anybody who is not fully invested in this economy will have his or her self to blame in 6 to 10 years.

2 Likes

Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by chi4ik(m): 7:19am On Mar 26, 2013
Aifey: We can only strive if we had a good head. Personaly speakin. Gej is a bad one.
u aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ S̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ rude, is it ♓☺w U̶̲̥̅̊ talk t̶̲̥̅̊ợ̣̣̇̇̇ ur parents? Pls respect GEJ Fø̲̣̣я̅ Christ sake! No wonder poverty is celebrating birthday in ur house!!!

1 Like

Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by AjanleKoko: 8:08am On Mar 26, 2013
There is significant truth in the report anyways. The South African economy is flat right now, and most investors from that country are pushing to move into Nigeria.

There are lots of opportunities to invest in Nigeria, due to the teeming population, the resource wealth, and infrastructure deficit. And the governments right now (State and Federal) seem to be pushing for development right now.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by Nobody: 8:28am On Mar 26, 2013
Why is it that any time an IGBO person is in the helm of affair things in that environment goes very well, prosper and blossom?. Ngozi O Iweala has done a great job just like Barth Nnaji but a particular set of people in this country will not allow the rising sun get to the whole country or allow the rising sun to stay on their own , now they are conniving with the North to make the Government go crazy about security.....Pls can you ppl REPENT already coolundecided

1 Like

Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by rhymz(m): 8:33am On Mar 26, 2013
sweetcheecks:

All this for requesting the businessday source? You are the ones who are anti- Nigeria. This how you present your country to the world. undecided

About HIV/AIDS, theres a proverb in my language that says " you must never lough at another man's wound, for you know not what tommorow will bring." You are warned, no nation owns Aids or any other diseases. Not that it bothers me.
Babe abeg forget that raving ediot throwing childish temper tantrums over nothing.
There is nothing wrong in demanding for the source.
I think the report was made based on recent discussions(perhaps separayely or randam comparisons) on trends in Nigeria economic outlook and the emerging economic difficulties of the RSA economy caused by laxed economic and fiscal policies of the ANC-zuma led government.
I don't think it was done in bad taste, Nigeria and RSA have always been fair economic competitors in Africa, it is only natural for such comparison to come up every now then or would you rather we use small ghana. . .lol
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by dondada1(m): 8:35am On Mar 26, 2013
AjanleKoko: There is significant truth in the report anyways. The South African economy is flat right now, and most investors from that country are pushing to move into Nigeria.

There are lots of opportunities to invest in Nigeria, due to the teeming population, the resource wealth, and infrastructure deficit. And the governments right now (State and Federal) seem to be pushing for development right now.

The question is..How flat is the South African economy compared to Nigeria's:: The projection that the Nigerian economy on paper looks good might just be another myth...Lets also keep in mind that South Africa is a member of the dreadful power 5 the BRICS nation which happens to have china in it.

And so we should not only be at the mercy of one business day journalist or the projected statistics conducted with a few markets.

I am not saying Nigeria will not exceed South Africa, But we as a people still have much more to do in comparison.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by rhymz(m): 8:39am On Mar 26, 2013
AjanleKoko: There is significant truth in the report anyways. The South African economy is flat right now, and most investors from that country are pushing to move into Nigeria.

I like your honesty, you don't even have to like JEG to acknowledge that there is a tangible effort towards development and it is gradually yielding fruits albeit not at the desired pace we all want. I wish people can be more sincere with their criticisms of this government at times.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by rhymz(m): 8:46am On Mar 26, 2013
dondada1:

The question is..How flat is the South African economy compared the Nigeria's:: The projection that the Nigerian economy on paper looks good might just be another myth...Lets also keep in mind that South Africa is a member of the dreadful power 5 the BRICS nation which happens to have china in it.

And so we should not only be at the mercy of one business day journalist or the projected statistics conducted with a few markets.

I am not saying Nigeria will not exceed South Africa, But we as a people still have much more to do in comparison.

I don't seem to get your point Mr. What has being a member of the BRICS got to do with evident dwindling economic fortunes of RSA. When did that become a factor for determining the health of an Economy? And who is talking about Nigeria exceeding RSA? Read the article well before jumping off to criticize. The RSA economy is still bigger than Nigeria's, no doubt. What the article or report is discussing is economic projections based on reforms and how they are affecting the outlook of these two countries, unless you want to doubt the statistical figures then there is nothing here to argue about.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by 14(m): 8:51am On Mar 26, 2013
The problem with Nigeria, you always get wrong and deceiving Stats, JSE never grew by 2% last year, it grew by 22%. And you can't compare NSE and JSE, NSE is very Small. Mind you JSE is the 16th largest Stork Exchange. Nigeria may overtake SA in years to come but they are still 100yrs behind SA in almost all aspects. Infrastructure will be Nigeria downfall. Remember SA produces power more than the whole Africa combined, 42 000 Megawatts, Nigeria is still talking about 4 800 Megawatts, for 160m people. At the moment SA is building 2 power Station, each supplying capacity of 4 800 megawatts, which means in less than 5 yrs, they will add up 9 600 Megawatts which is more than what Nigeria supplies to the rest of the country.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 26, 2013
CHESSBOARD: Why is it that any time an IGBO person is in the helm of affair things in that environment goes very well, prosper and blossom?. Ngozi O Iweala has done a great job just like Barth Nnaji but a particular set of people in this country will not allow the rising sun get to the whole country or allow the rising sun to stay on their own , now they are conniving with the North to make the Government go crazy about security.....Pls can you ppl REPENT already coolundecided
Absolute power corrupts absolutely
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by billante(m): 8:58am On Mar 26, 2013
hugafella:
For me, I can say that for the first time in donkeys years, south east roads are receiving REAL attention. Yes, and the power situation has improved. Methinks GEJ is really working o. That's my humble opinion.

Pls which of the roads are getting the real attention you talked about? can you give me the work rate of enugu- onitsha expressway, where are the contractors currently, i know d onitsha part is aggressively being worked on, don't know about d enugu part........... and also the enugu-port harcourt expressway!

Anybody else who knows can also give us true current situation, if pictures are available better!
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by purplebrown: 8:59am On Mar 26, 2013
Everyone has dreams right?
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by chrisoj: 9:14am On Mar 26, 2013
[/quote] GO NAIJA, MAY ALMIGHTY ALLAH BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by alajor(m): 9:18am On Mar 26, 2013
cogitoErgo: Nawa o, wit all dis bombing here nd there in Nigeria? What if there is peace all over Nigeria?
the question should've been.....what if there is constant power supply in nigeria.... I bet u dat 80 percent of d worlds company will b in nigeria.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by chikaobasi: 9:50am On Mar 26, 2013
LET BE POSITIVE, THANKS
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by andrewza: 9:56am On Mar 26, 2013

Only oil investors are pumping masive cash in to nigeria. And they rob that money from nigeria paying the guys on top to turn a blind eye.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by 14(m): 10:10am On Mar 26, 2013
alajor: the question should've been.....what if there is constant power supply in nigeria.... I bet u dat 80 percent of d worlds company will b in nigeria.
Its not about the constant power supply, it should be about how many people have power supply. Majority of people still don't have power in Nigeria compare to SA which supplies 24/7 power to 95% of its population, and also to most of Southern African countries.

Nigeria must have their own Multinationals companies. If you really too much on foreign investors, when chips are down and there is security risks, they pack their bags and leave, that will be the collapse of Nigerian Economy. SA Economy is stronger because of its Multinationals.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by rhymz(m): 10:13am On Mar 26, 2013
andrewza: http://sustainablecitiescollective.com/futurecapetown/124706/will-nigeria-overtake-south-africa-africa-s-powerhouse

Only oil investors are pumping masive cash in to nigeria. And they rob that money from nigeria paying the guys on top to turn a blind eye.
that is not true not neccessarily true. Yes, there is a lot of investment in the oil and gas but there is also significant investment in other aspect of our economy especially manufacturing. Here in the east, a lot of home grown factories are springing up, from paints, vegetable oil processing industry, car battery manufacturers, Sabmiller, plastic motor parts manufacturing, LPG plants, Lubrication plants, rice mills and many like that, not to talk of the ones in Lagos and industrial cities like Ibadan, Kano and kaduna. I believe that with power generation improvements, Nigeria will be a more attractive market for investors than RSA. Our Population and market size is a big advantage even RSA companies know this fact.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by AjanleKoko: 10:13am On Mar 26, 2013
dondada1:

The question is..How flat is the South African economy compared the Nigeria's:: The projection that the Nigerian economy on paper looks good might just be another myth...Lets also keep in mind that South Africa is a member of the dreadful power 5 the BRICS nation which happens to have china in it.

Nigeria still has a a larger potential for growth compared to South Africa. It has a lower median age, larger population, and its GDP is just over half that of South Africa. Even the infrastructure deficit provides massive investment opportunities in my view. Look at all the concessioning opportunities and PPP initiatives that Lagos is already carrying out.

Consider that Nigeria's economy is growing twice as fast as South Africa's (3% to 6%), I don't think the catch-up will take that long. Ironically, a lot of investment into Nigeria's economy is coming from South Africa.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 26, 2013
rhymz: that is not true not neccessarily true. Yes, there is a lot of investment in the oil and gas but there is also significant investment in other aspect of our economy especially manufacturing. Here in the east, a lot of home grown factories are springing up, from paints, vegetable oil processing industry, car battery manufacturers, Sabmiller, plastic motor parts manufacturing, LPG plants, Lubrication plants, rice mills and many like that, not to talk of the ones in Lagos and industrial cities like Ibadan, Kano and kaduna. I believe that with power generation improvements, Nigeria will be a more attractive market for investors than RSA. Our Population and market size is a big advantage even RSA companies know this fact.
Lol andrewza only sees oil and nothing else.. when any argument / news surfaces, that's all he emphasizes
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by AjanleKoko: 10:35am On Mar 26, 2013
I'm just curious about one thing: Do other races/continents engage in the d.ick measuring contests, or is it just an African thing? undecided

sheyie2007:
Lol andrewza only sees oil and nothing else.. when any argument / news surfaces, that's all he emphasizes

Oil is still a significant factor, regardless of what anyone says. Energy drives growth everywhere. Investment into the energy sector, downstream deregulation, privatization of the power sector, the PIB (if it finally sees the light of day) can be tremendous growth catalysts for the non-oil sector. It's funny when people refer disparagingly to 'oil' as if it were the lottery.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by 14(m): 10:43am On Mar 26, 2013
SA is still the biggest investor in Africa. South African companies are all over Africa. If Nigeria wants to be par with SA, they must have more of their companies rather than relaying on foreign inbestors who are there to loot the country.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by AjanleKoko: 10:52am On Mar 26, 2013
1,2:
SA is still the biggest investor in Africa. South African companies are all over Africa. If Nigeria wants to be par with SA, they must have more of their companies rather than relaying on foreign inbestors who are there to loot the country.

Apart from retail, broadcast, and telecom (MTN), it's hard to say that SA is the biggest investor in Nigeria. Yes, South African companies have invested all over Africa, even in Nigeria. But outside those sectors, I would say indigenous Nigerian companies hold a large chunk of the Nigerian economy. Apart from SA itself, there are very few countries in Africa apart from Nigeria with significant local holdings.

Also, Nigeria doesn't have to invest all over Africa for its economy to level with, or outstrip SA's economy. With our population, we can be a giant purely on our local investment. Give it time, it will happen.
Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by Abel202: 11:22am On Mar 26, 2013
[b]My people, The write up has put facts on ground. Anyone that refuses to believe the truth shall soon live to swallow his vomit. Just as projections had it that the Chinese economy will overtake the Japanese at some point and it happened; So Nigeria's economy will overtake South Africa's soon if we keep doing certain things in certain ways.
G.E.Jonathan is getting it right on the economy with the likes of Okonjo Iweala,Aganga and Sanusi(wish Sanusi could keep his mouth shut most of the time though)at the helm of affairs. He has a great Agric Minister and a great Aviation Minister. Jonathan is getting it right on Power reforms. We shall certainly see a VERY REMARKABLE IMPROVEMENT on power generation and distribution under this administration soonest. The Second Niger Bridge construction will soon be started this year. The Rails are a great plus and he is still doing great along that line etc etc
I keep saying this, Jonathan is not very likeable as a president as he certainly does not inspire confidence as a leader should. Jonathan might have a lot of weak points, but truth be told, Jonathan is getting CRITICAL SECTORS OF GOVERNANCE RIGHT, AND THAT IS WHAT MATTERS.
We have had Handsome presidents like Gowon and IBB, what did they achieve? We have had strong-willed Leaders like Obasanjo and Abacha, what did they achieve?
Jonathan is making progress steadily. Let us all encourage him and give him the chance to do more.
Ofcourse Jonathan has his failings. Jonathan certainly needs to do more in the area of fighting corruption as he is scoring far below average there. Contrary to what people think, Jonathan is doing great in fighting terrorism, but he can do more. HOME-GROWN TERRORISM as we are fighting is very very difficult to fight and win. Check out Afghanistan where the Russians fought and ran away, the allied forces being led by America have fought and they are planning to run away too. Check out Pakistan and Irak too. USA, UK and EU Countries where able to root out terrorism because it wasn't actualy home grown. The terrorists were majorly Arabs that came from Arab countries even if some where born there. Bottom line is that Jonathan is fighting Home-grown terrorism and He is not doing badly at all, although he can do better. The Northern born-to-rule politicians will do themselves a great favor by cutting out support for these islamic-Jihadist-killer-zombies because in the long run, it is the North that will ultimately suffer for their stupidity.
Nigeria is becoming an investment destination inspite of Boko Haram. What does that imply? That means that actualy SOUTHERN NIGERIA is becoming an investment destination. That means that the South is even going to run into the jet age while the North is left behind in the dark ages still grapling with Polio and other preventable diseases that have long been eradicated in the South and the world.
Let the North give Jonathan peace of mind to govern this great nation for us all so that we all shall make progress.
But if the North refuses and continues with this Boko Haram bullshit, well they shall be left behind because no amount of bombing or propaganda on Saharareporters and its likes will stop Jonathan from being in power till 2019. Yes, you heared me right, till 2019. Go figure.[/b]

4 Likes

Re: Investors Turn To Nigeria As South-Africa Struggles by pazienza(m): 11:47am On Mar 26, 2013
sheyie2007:
You're stup!d... go and lock yourself in a bunker and meditate on where you want to be in 5 years and leave the common man alone.. you're fvcked up nicca!

You are deranged,it's obvious. My advice is that you do something about it,before it becomes too late.

This is a public forum,learn to control your madness,people can do without it.

Thank you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dubai To Build The Biggest Mall In The World, Complete With Theme Park / Investors Losing Faith In Buhari's Govt Over Lack Of Economic Direction-bloomber / CBN Bans Rice, Cement Importers, Others From Forex Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.