Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,411 members, 7,812,218 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Why Is It That Many Nigerians Do Not Shop Online On Nigerian Websites? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Is It That Many Nigerians Do Not Shop Online On Nigerian Websites? (1108 Views)

Top 5 Most Popular Nigerian Websites By Web Traffic / The Best Nigerian Websites You Have Seen! / The Traffic Rank Of The Most Popular Nigerian Websites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Many Nigerians Do Not Shop Online On Nigerian Websites? by kachiface(m): 6:52pm On Mar 30, 2008
Hey folks,
I have been musing for a while and wondering why Nigerians do not shop on the internet.

Some say we do not have online shopping websites, but the advent of websites such as 234world.com have made a marked difference. Many Nigerians, mostly those who have been abroad are now shopping online, yet our online shopping traffic is still yet no way near that of Europe and America.

Any ideas or thought as to why? problems? fears? gains and pains?
Re: Why Is It That Many Nigerians Do Not Shop Online On Nigerian Websites? by naijacutee(f): 11:36am On May 09, 2008
I think the problem is security. When online shopping first started in the West, it didn't pick up as intended because people were very wary about whom they were buying from. The average Nigerian would not be likely to hand over their banking information to someone who they cannot see, and then sit at home and wait for a supposed truck to bring the goods to them after a few days. Nigerians want money-for-hand-back-for-ground service. If one can prove that online shopping is secure, easier, cheaper and faster than the conventional ways of shopping, then I guess more people will be willing to embrace the idea. Have you got any way of proving this?
Re: Why Is It That Many Nigerians Do Not Shop Online On Nigerian Websites? by Busta(f): 3:27pm On May 09, 2008
Security, Security, Security!!
Re: Why Is It That Many Nigerians Do Not Shop Online On Nigerian Websites? by kheme(m): 11:28am On May 17, 2008
actually, naijacutee has a point.

what i think is this, the main and maybe "only" was online payments can be done is via credit cards. then we also have merchant accounts, for those without credit cards. but then again, some merchant accounts are funded by credit cards again.

with this in mind, we all know that nigerians are experts in credit card fraud (I'm so sorry to say this, but its the fact), how can people rely on credit cards for online payments?

yes, if they can prove that online transaction on nigerian websites are secure, then i guess more people will use it.

also, credit cards are new in nigeria.
Re: Why Is It That Many Nigerians Do Not Shop Online On Nigerian Websites? by sungoddess(f): 3:17pm On Feb 04, 2011
No need to worry about security when you can pay cash on delivery at www.shopaholicng.com within Lagos and get your stuff shipped to any state within Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Review My Blog, Site And Webmaster Tools Collection / Who Can Help Me Design A Website Like This? / Help Webmasters: How To Sell Recharge Pins Online?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.