Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,943 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. (34681 Views)

Function Of O/D (over Drive) In Automatic Transmission? / Gear Oil In Automatic Tramsmission Engine,does It Need Changing? / Please Explain The Following Terms In Automatic Transmission Vehicles: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by noel76(m): 7:03pm On Mar 30, 2008
Guys in d house, pls i want to know the function of 1, 2, and D in a car or jeep.( Auto Gear.)

Thanks.
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by sultaan(m): 7:48pm On Mar 30, 2008
1 is for driving up very steep slope, or dragging your other car out of a pot-hole.
2 is for driving in Lagos traffic(slow with frequent stop i.e go-slow)
D is for driving on open road

2 Likes

Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by thegame(m): 9:17pm On Mar 30, 2008
Are you really sure? WHat about cars with D3 and D4? WHat's the difference?
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by sultaan(m): 10:02pm On Mar 30, 2008
D4 is over-drive(highway 4th gear)

I am wrong with this info so check your owners manual
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by zheroes(m): 9:35am On Mar 31, 2008
@ sultaan,

let us accept what you have said pending when our gear boxes start having problems, after all how many nigerians have set their eyes on owner's manual when 70% of cars on our roads are over 10years old!!!

1 Like

Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by noel76(m): 11:17am On Mar 31, 2008
@ sultan thanks for ur response. i use a 2002 pathfinder and it has an overdrive botton by the side of the gear stick, when i am on the high way and press this botton the sound of the engine changes from a low sound to a very high sound is this the same as the D4 u re taiking abt.
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by brownbonno(m): 11:46am On Mar 31, 2008
sultaan:

1 is for driving up very steep slope, or dragging your other car out of a pot-hole.

You are not far from the truth,1-4 as the case my be signify the gear levels.D over rides all the 1-4 settings .ie get what you want with your accelerator.
Over drive ?? Check google.
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by sultaan(m): 6:09pm On Mar 31, 2008
noel76:

@ sultan thanks for your response. i use a 2002 pathfinder and it has an overdrive botton by the side of the gear stick, when i am on the high way and press this botton the sound of the engine changes from a low sound to a very high sound is this the same as the D4 u re taiking about.

Your car goes into 4th&5th gear at will with overdrive on, but when you press that button you actually turn overdrive off, so it drives in a lower gear.That is why it runs louder.
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by noel76(m): 7:16pm On Apr 01, 2008
no when i turned the botton on OVER dRIVE is shown on the dashboard which means dat it is turned on bt the sound from the engine increases.
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by ITGuru3: 2:10am On Apr 03, 2008
Pls, does anyone still have more elaborate info on this; as I am still in the same dilemma to know the particular (Auto Gear) to select. My ride has D, D4, D3 and D2.

The only thing I noticed is that the D4 is best for high way driving but for Inside street driving and hold up, I just seem don't know the exact one to use between D, D3 and D2 as I notice each of these Transmission selections have effect on the fuel consumption if you know the right one to use at a particular time.
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by Nobody: 6:47pm On Apr 03, 2008
sultaan:

D is for normal driving.
2  is for increasing your speed. i do not know about D2 D3 D4 ,  but i think they should mean increase of speed also.
if you press the override button, the car will keep on moving even after easing your foot completely from the accelerator and gradually slow down.
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by toyboy1(m): 8:28am On Apr 04, 2008
D1 or 1 means u are locking ur gear permanently on gear 1, good for upward hilly, bumpy roads.
D2 or[b] 2[/b] means u r restricting ur gear to gear 1 and 2 but not beyond gear 2. that means d car shifts from 1 to 2 but not beyond 2. Good for lagos traffic.
D3 3 means ur car gear can move from 1 to 3 but not beyond 3. good for driving in area with speed restrictions.
D4 or[b] D[/b] means unlimted access to wat ever gear you want to drive on, and is dependent on how u press down on ur accelerator.

some cars do not have D3 or 3. this is cos[b] D[/b] or D4 can perform that task effectively too.

2 Likes

Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by sultaan(m): 3:14pm On Apr 04, 2008
toy boy:

D1 or 1 means u are locking your gear permanently on gear 1, good for upward hilly, bumpy roads.
D2 or[b] 2[/b] means you're restricting your gear to gear 1 and 2 but not beyond gear 2. that means d car shifts from 1 to 2 but not beyond 2. Good for lagos traffic.
D3 3 means your car gear can move from 1 to 3 but not beyond 3. good for driving in area with speed restrictions.
D4 or[b] D[/b] means unlimted access to what ever gear you want to drive on, and is dependent on how u press down on your accelerator.

some cars do not have D3 or 3. this is because[b] D[/b] or D4 can perform that task effectively too.

Perfect answer hope everything is clear now.

1 Like

Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by KA24DETT(m): 2:07am On Apr 18, 2008
Just put ur car in D,, saves gas,,,,, Putting it in 1 tells transmission computer not to upshift same for 2. if u forget to change it from 1 or 2 into D when u are in an open road will mess up the transmission,, To be on the safe side, Leave it in D. Its the job of the transmission computer to upshift or downshift depending on the engine speed and throttle psitioning sensor. I rebuild transmission and most times is because people live it in 2 for a long time and the engine locks up.

3 Likes

Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by ramdris(m): 4:52am On Sep 06, 2015
You guys are really great in this forum and thanks op for asking this question that has been bugging me over time. Nice answers!
Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by Danabu(m): 5:15am On Sep 06, 2015
noel76:
no when i turned the botton on OVER dRIVE is shown on the dashboard which means dat it is turned on bt the sound from the engine increases.

Overdrive is the last and usually extra gear. When it is on the light goes off the car can enter the last gear and it helps save fuel but when you press the button and the light comes on it means you have disengaged the Overdrive and the car will not be able to enter the extra gear. It is to be used when engaging a long hill or towing a trailer so that the car will not be shifting from gear 4 to 5 and vice versa in rapid succession thereby preventing damage to the gear which would have resulted from the excessive heat caused by the shifting.

1 Like

Re: Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. by Danabu(m): 5:20am On Sep 06, 2015
noel76:

Overdrive is shown when you press the button to remind and warn you that you are using up more fuel and your car can suffer more wear and tear if left in that position because it is driving only up to gear 3 or 4 as the case may be.

(1) (Reply)

Innoson Cars May Be Used As Official Cars For National Assembly / Nord Unveils Its New Vehicle, Norda5 / See How A Volvo Truck Is Controlled From Outside With An External Steering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.