Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Please Explain The Following Terms In Automatic Transmission Vehicles: - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Explain The Following Terms In Automatic Transmission Vehicles: (14774 Views)

Function Of O/D (over Drive) In Automatic Transmission? / Gear Oil In Automatic Tramsmission Engine,does It Need Changing? / Function Of 1, 2, And D In Automatic Gear. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Explain The Following Terms In Automatic Transmission Vehicles: by john20166: 4:47pm On Jan 05, 2012
in some german cars, P R N D S L

in japanese and others, P R N D4 D3 2 1

please I am aware of P-park, R-reverse, N- neutral, the confusion is what D S L, D4, D3, 2, 1 are to be used for when driving,

thanks,
Re: Please Explain The Following Terms In Automatic Transmission Vehicles: by miccodb(m): 1:14pm On Jan 06, 2012
they represent different shifting patterns.
s= sports shifting- cant remember the patter n lazy to google but d car shifts at more prolonged RPMs as though ur racing with a manual
L= long drive= doesnt leave current gear. most likely wen u are ascending hills n u need more power on the same gear.
the D3,D4 and so on are all similarly related to the aforementioned.
Re: Please Explain The Following Terms In Automatic Transmission Vehicles: by nissparts(m): 3:30pm On Jan 06, 2012
L is actually low gear.
It stays in gear 1

1 Like

Re: Please Explain The Following Terms In Automatic Transmission Vehicles: by Fhemmmy: 3:42pm On Jan 06, 2012
D means drive like if you are in D4 or D3 just step on the gas and it will go.
2 and 1 are overdrive when you are pulling more weight in the car like you need it to rev up faster its like a manual 1st and 2nd gear on a standard car.
1 and 2 are for hills,
D4 i use for city and highway,
I uses D3 for city only driving, it just seems to shift smoother, i wount recommend revving to high in 1 and 2, cool
Re: Please Explain The Following Terms In Automatic Transmission Vehicles: by gulfer: 3:50pm On Jan 06, 2012
nissparts:

L is actually low gear.
It stays in gear 1
I use my D3 2 1 either when ascending the hills in Osun state etc cos you need the power or when i need to quickly move past some of these unhooked containers or tankers on Lagos -Ibadan Expressway as it gives a change in acceleration D3,2,1 back to drive.

(1) (Reply)

3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers / 9 Facts About Maybach / Siena, Promise: Can O2 Sensor Make My Car Stop When In Motion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.