Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,379 members, 7,815,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses (8658 Views)

Fayose Openly Declines Omojuwa’s Invitation / Buhari Blasts Akpabio, Others, Says Corrupt APC, PDP Members Must Face Trial / New PDP Loses Bid To Re-open Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Clerverly: 11:20pm On Mar 25, 2013
The Nigerian electoral commission said the controversial APC will not be registered.

The plan by the African Peoples Congress to become a political party crashed on Monday as the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, said it would not register the association because it failed to meet the conditions for registration.

In a letter dated March 21 and sent to the political association, the commission said the group breached section 222 (a) of the 1999 Constitution as amended and thereby cannot be considered for any further registration as a political party.

The commission said that African Peoples Congress, which is one of the three associations laying claim to “APC” as its acronym, did not indicate the addresses of its national officers while filling Form PA 1, which the commission earlier forwarded to it.

Section 222 says, “No Association by whatever name called shall function as a political party unless: (a) The names and addresses of its national officers are registered with the Independent National Electoral Commission.”

INEC’s letter titled “Re: Application for Registration as a Political Party” reads: “Your application for registration as a political party dated 28thFebruary, 2013 refers. The Commission has observed that your Association is in breach of Section 222(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) which stipulates as follows:

“No Association by whatever name called shall function as a political party unless:

(a) The names and addresses of its national officers are registered with the Independent National Electoral Commission”

“A close observation of your submitted Form PA 1 established that it does not contain the addresses of your national officers as stipulated in the provision above.

“Consequently, the Commission shall not register the proposed African People’s Congress, (APC) as a political party.”

The INEC Director of Publicity, Emmanuel Umenger confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that the commission wrote the association informing it of its decision.

He explained that the African Peoples Congress applied for registration on February 28, 2013 upon which the Commission forwarded to it documents, including Form A to fill.

He said that while returning the form, the association failed to fill the addresses of its national officers thereby breaching the provisions of the constitution.

“Yes, we wrote the association today March 21 and the letter is before me here and it was signed by the Commission’s Secretary. The association breached Section 222 of the constitution,” Mr. Umenger said.

Asked if INEC would reconsider the association’s application if it fulfills the said requirement, the Commission’s spokesman said “There is no second chance; the law is explicit and INEC follows what the law says.”

With INEC’s decision, the race is now left for the other two associations claiming to own the APC acronym. They are All Progressives Congress and All Patriotic Citizens.

Group reacts

But in a swift reaction, the Protem National Chairman of the African Peoples Congress, Oninye Ikeagwuonu, accused the commission of conniving with some unnamed politicians to deny it registration.

Mr. Ikeagwuonu said at a press conference in Abuja on Monday that he is in possession of a letter dated 21st March purportedly written by INEC, in which the commission premised the plan not to register the association on irregularities in the addresses of its national officers.

It is the second time in two weeks that the association is accusing INEC officials of conniving with unnamed politicians to deny it registration.

Mr. Ikeagwuonu, however, vowed that the association would not give up its pursuit for registration, adding that it would seek judicial intervention if INEC fails to register it.

Also reacting, a member of the Merger Committee of the All Progressives Congress, Osita Okechukwu praised INEC for “serving the cause of justice and defending the constitution.”

Mr. Okechukwu described the rush by the African Peoples Congress to INEC for registration, using “APC” as its acronym “as a culture of impunity borne out of mischief which was meant to sustain the one-party state that the Peoples Democratic Party has nurtured over the years.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/politics/126855-inec-declines-to-register-rival-apc.html

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Clerverly: 11:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
After all these Jega's initial gra-gra. Maybe he has sensed where the pendulum is swinging to tongue

Meanwhile Progressive 1-PDP 0 or should i say insinere9igerian 0 grin grin grin
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by israel007: 11:43pm On Mar 25, 2013
Hehehe. PDP has something up their sleeves. They're no fool. They have come this far

We should focus on right presidential candidate and not the party name. As for me, and this is my own opinion and stance:

Whatever change spearheaded by Tinubu, I won't be part of it.

Haba naaa, lagosians let's drop sentiments and be realistic. If u live around lekki axis, you can't be ignorant of the hassle residents go through every morning and evening going to work and coming back. This is just a product of one toll now the second toll is soon to be open and construction of the third is in the oven baking! Assuming u live around LBS and u work in IKOYI yoy would be paying 3 tolls to and fro! These guys, despite the fact that you cry and curse, not for once have they listened. And you think these guys would profer solution to the existing problems?

Let's be wise na Nigerians! It's not in the rhythm of the song along. We should pay attention to the lyrics please.

Like I said: my honest opinion

3 Likes

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by takedat(m): 11:49pm On Mar 25, 2013
^ You have not proffered any solution. Do we stick with the tried and failed PDP or are you willing to register your own "pro-masses" political party?

So members of the amorphous and phantom African People's Congress(APC) forgot to indicate their addresses in the bid to hurriedly float a party with the acronym of APC, even after INEC must have written to them a letter stating all the necessary requirements for party registration! I wasn't expecting much from a ragtag bunch of "use and dump" hungry hirelings, misfits and bungling dolts!

3 Likes

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Eziachi: 12:46am On Mar 26, 2013
Clerverly: After all these Jega's initial gra-gra. Maybe he has sensed where the pendulum is swinging to tongue

Meanwhile Progressive 1-PDP 0 or should i say insinere9igerian 0 grin grin grin
So what makes men like Tom Ikimi a progressive?
Is there anybody in the Nigerian politics who would br called a real progressive?
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by israel007: 6:37am On Mar 26, 2013
take dat: ^ You have not proffered any solution. Do we stick with the tried and failed PDP or are you willing to register your own "pro-masses" political party?

So members of the amorphous and phantom African People's Congress(APC) forgot to indicate their addresses in the bid to hurriedly float a party with the acronym of APC, even after INEC must have written to them a letter stating all the necessary requirements for party registration! I wasn't expecting much from a ragtag bunch of "use and dump" hungry hirelings, misfits and bungling dolts!

Read my post again. It's an innocent and sincere person stating his opinion.
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by mankevo(m): 6:50am On Mar 26, 2013
PDP will be gnashing their teeth, shaking their heads,&Legs and asking ''WHAT OTHER PLAN TO ADOPT''

Laughing in Chinko tone

1 Like

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Tigerhead: 7:06am On Mar 26, 2013
Sometimes I am not sure if I am in the same planet as the people on this forum. The application was defective because it did not contain names and address. According to nailand eeerr... apologists, the application cannot be corrected because they don't want it to be. Please can one of you functional illiterates show me where in the governing legislation it says that if your application is deficient in one aspect it cannot be corrected, or is it that we now make laws here n Nairaland according to who we like or don't like.

2 Likes

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by mankevo(m): 7:16am On Mar 26, 2013
@TigerHead
INEC SAID.....
Clerverly:
“Yes, we wrote the association today March 21 and the letter is before me here and it was signed by the Commission’s Secretary. The association breached Section 222 of the constitution,” Mr. Umenger said.

Asked if INEC would reconsider the association’s application if it fulfills the said requirement, the Commission’s spokesman said “There is no second chance; the law is explicit and INEC follows what the law says.”

Maybe you are in a hurry to attack and didn't read what INEC said.

1 Like

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Goddex: 7:19am On Mar 26, 2013
70% of those parading themselves as progressives were people PDP rejected and chased away.

1 Like

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by seunfly: 7:28am On Mar 26, 2013
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by takedat(m): 7:32am On Mar 26, 2013
israel007:

Read my post again. It's an innocent and sincere person stating his opinion.
I believe you, but the notion that a candidate can be separate entity from his or her party is a fallacy. Can a Fashola be seperated from the Tinubu controlled ACN or GEJ from a PDP made of Anenih, Bode George and the other Judases and Sadducees? The party members and the political party itself are as important as the candidate. The lyrics and rhythm of a song are both important!

1 Like

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by takedat(m): 7:50am On Mar 26, 2013
Tigerhead: Sometimes I am not sure if I am in the same planet as the people on this forum. The application was defective because it did not contain names and address. According to nailand eeerr... apologists, the application cannot be corrected because they don't want it to be. Please can one of you functional illiterates show me where in the governing legislation it says that if your application is deficient in one aspect it cannot be corrected, or is it that we now make laws here n Nairaland according to who we like or don't like.
You can as well go to court on their behalf since you are more learned in the extant laws of the land, especially the electoral act(as amended) than those in the legal division of INEC. Muddleheaded ignoramus!

1 Like

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Gbawe: 7:53am On Mar 26, 2013
Eziachi:
So what makes men like Tom Ikimi a progressive?
Is there anybody in the Nigerian politics who would br called a real progressive?

Sorry, Eziachi, about my original post. I actually confused you with someone else. Yet my original premise stands. How can you continue to make the APC about Ikimi? If you have a genuine problem with the APC then air it and let it be a cogent one. As it is, there is no Party in Nigeria that will not be host to an Ikimi type.

Continuing to mention Ikimi just means you are not ready to deal with the reality of Nigeria and what our political climate is about today and now. Okay for the kids here to indict APC over Ikimi but I would think the sensible posters here would understand the APC still remains about the many good names who are delivering or have a history of delivering. I brought an article here recently where the author, in relation to the Ikimi argument you present, stated that Nigeria cannot be what its people and leaders are not. If anyone wants the APC full of saints, then come back in 100 years when you and your leaders are majority saints.

As it is, and as realists and pragmatically sound people cognisant of what evolution entails, we can only hope the APC delivers a platform to enable us get a Buhari, Ribadu, Fashola, Oshiomhole, Utomi, Femi Falana et al into transformational positions rather than what obtains currently where the most transformational offices, that can make Nigeria great, are manned by non-visionary gradualists, mediocrities and defenders of the status quo like GEJ, Sambo, Allison-Madueke, David Mark, Anenih, Adoke Bello et al.

We should begin to see what matter by first acknowledging and accepting what our real situation shows we should, as reasonable people, aspire to in the short term secure in the knowledge evolution will kick things on from there.

You start, as a Nation, embracing the sports of boxing today yet you want to go to the Olympics tomorrow and clear all the boxing medals?

7 Likes

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by alkadriyar(m): 8:03am On Mar 26, 2013
More jobs for the court
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Tigerhead: 8:04am On Mar 26, 2013
Stop thinking like a secondary school student and think like a businessman / bureaucrat, that application is defective and a new one will be submitted. There is no chance for the defective application. Cast your mind back to the APGA guy whose party application was denied on the grounds of the name. He sent in another application and it was approved.

mankevo: @TigerHead
INEC SAID.....[color=#000099][/color]
Maybe you are in a hurry to attack and didn't read what INEC said.

1 Like

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by olabukola: 8:28am On Mar 26, 2013
Gbawe:

You know, when people talk as you do, I smile to myself. A bit like how one is amused watching a self-destructive person doing things that will only hasten his own failure/demise/worthlessness. It says a lot about your character when you consistently and self-deludingly make the APC about Ikimi.

A bit like a very sad hater of Barcelona who will dismiss the fact the club has the best footballers in the world, comparative to others, to pretend and insist the least naturally talented by far in a line-up of 11, such as Gerrard Pique, is the identity of Barcelona. Sad. I really feel sorry for you because you don't appreciate how low you have sunk when hate make you utter wild and senseless lies so incoherently. Yes, the APC is about Ikimi. In fact he will be cloned so all positions can be occupied by Ikimi. Keep deceiving yourself. Your outlook just shows you cannot be very good at effective thinking because all critical thinkers deal with facts, logic and rational ideas.
I did not see any hate in the post you quoted. All i read there is just question. Is like you have problem with the eziachi before or something.

@ op. I thought you guys accused INEC of being part of PDP.
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Maxymilliano(m): 8:30am On Mar 26, 2013
Hope people hailing and congratulating INEC for a well done job will be magnanimous enough to express same courtesy if this Ibo business men masquerading as politicians overcome the present set back to claim the much coveted acronym...
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Gbawe: 8:32am On Mar 26, 2013
olabukola: I did not see any hate in the post you quoted. All i read there is just question. Is like you have problem with the eziachi before or something.

@ op. I thought you guys accused INEC of being part of PDP.

My bad. I actually confused Eziachi with someone else. I have apologized to him. I actually respect Eziachi here. The character I had in mind is one of those who cannot go two post without a hateful anti-Yoruba diatribe i.e Ezeuche.

The reason I find the whole Ikimi = APC talk annoying is because it is one that people present without even inspecting the legitimacy of their utterance.

I challenge, here and now, the "Ikimi = APC" brigade to prove their case and show a 'messiah' Politician who is not in the APC. Let critics just show, without excuses or further ado, an accomplished Nigerian Politician who would give the APC 'legitimacy' yet is not with the Party already.

Let me ask now, once and for all, and with the hope of getting a factually intelligent answer, "what politician do we want to see in the APC that is not already there"?

When has the few (Ikimi, Ogbeh et al) some are obsessed with stopped the APC being the coalition of 'good guys' it is in reality and for those not into self-deception?

What transformational position has Ikimi been pencilled down for? President? VP? Senate President? Speaker lower House, AGF, EFCC boss, Petroleum Minister? Can any "Ikimi= APC" critic honestly and factually prove that the Parties that have merged have a practice of promoting mediocrities into transformational offices? Or is it no longer about having undoubted achievers manning the most influential offices?

Why Are Nigerians always obsessed with pessimistically talking about Ikimi when the reality is that the APC is indeed still host to, by far, the most genuinely progressive politicians in Nigeria who are being given a platform to deliver while the ruling Party remains firmly about promoting mediocrities who help maintain the status quo for the hideous looting of Nigeria?

Why has the likes of Utomi moved to the ACN and now APC if not his recognition of how they are the Party that can bravely embrace his sort and provide them the platform to attain political office? Is it not same for the most progressive politicians in Nigeria today or are some APC critics going to go and import messiahs from Mars to suit their self-deceit [size=14pt]when it may be easier to face the fact that Nigeria's best are already with the APC ?[/size]

Can one politician (Ikimi) be deemed to disqualify a Party's progressive credentials while the many genuinely progressive members of the APC are disregarded? Does that not show some are not operating with a fair mind towards the APC in regards to the real constituent members of the Party and in the face of the reality of the Nigerian current political environment? It makes absolutely no sense. That is why I made the Barcelona analogy.

3 Likes

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Clerverly: 8:38am On Mar 26, 2013
Tigerhead: Stop thinking like a secondary school student and think like a businessman / bureaucrat, that application is defective and a new one will be submitted. There is no chance for the defective application. Cast your mind back to the APGA guy whose party application was denied on the grounds of the name. He sent in another application and it was approved.

What if another APC who must have done their home work registered the hugely contested name before African Congress resubmits their corrected document? Hope you are aware that what is being contested here is the acronym (APC). Consequently, they can come back with any other name, and we are good to go.
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Clerverly: 10:03am On Mar 26, 2013
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by TechRev: 10:27am On Mar 26, 2013
Who ever fulfills INEC requirements first registers APC. You reading it are not excluded, if you can fulfill the requirements and submit you will get APC registered for you. If your application is defective, you can still correct it if you do submit before another body submits theirs, meeting the requirements.
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Nobody: 11:27am On Mar 26, 2013
While a lot of investments might have gone into the party registration, it looks ill-advised and fishy for a group of people to hurriedly want to register a party, without duly going through the process of having an head office.

INEC's stance as an un-biased umpire should be applauded based on the premise of arguing a provision in state law which was sufficient enough to address the irregularity. We should be careful and not be overtly emotional, because when we talk about fundamental rights as it relates to the constitution, we are talking about those rights that we as a nation designated as being some of the most sacred of all the rights we can have and based on this, no matter who the person involved is, either a PDP, ACN or SDP, the law should be respected at all times.

Nigeria as a nation might not be where it is supposed to be, the moment we focus on keeping things simple and structured, is the time we begin to make inwards foray into becoming a beter society, which would in-turn provide a system that would benefit everyone in the long run.
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by gulfer: 1:48pm On Mar 26, 2013
Clerverly:

http://premiumtimesng.com/politics/126855-inec-declines-to-register-rival-apc.html
The banner is funny; African peoples Congress (APC) , 'NOW OPEN'. Is it a new eatery/hotel or Joint? grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Fhemmmy: 3:57pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ummmmm . . . So all they have to do is fix the error and re-apply.
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by nairaman66(m): 3:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
“A close observation of your submitted Form PA 1 established that it does not contain the addresses of your national officers as stipulated in the provision above.

“Consequently, the Commission shall not register the proposed African People’s Congress, (APC) as a political party.”

Are you kidding me? I bet this is the joke of the month! Their refusal is so groundless! Mtcheew
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Fhemmmy: 3:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
gulfer: The banner is funny; African peoples Congress (APC) , 'NOW OPEN'. Is it a new eatery/hotel or Joint? grin grin grin grin

Lol . . .
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by dridowu: 3:59pm On Mar 26, 2013
Gengen 2015 officially started
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by D33VA(f): 4:02pm On Mar 26, 2013
anoda group of ppl tryin to get hold of Nigerias resources.. I rilli doubt much change wld come frm dem
Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by killuminati(m): 4:07pm On Mar 26, 2013
Their banner, logo and office just resemble KFC eatery joint. They should begin selling food there it will serve them bettergrin

4 Likes

Re: INEC Declines To Register Rival APC- PDP Loses by Okijajuju1(m): 4:12pm On Mar 26, 2013
NOBODY CAN LAY CLAIM TO THE ACRONYM APC until it is registered..

INEC is acting like biitches..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unending Reconstruction, Unending Agony On Lagos-Badagry Expressway / IPOB Lists 6 States That Will Join ‘new Republic’ / The 8th Senate Launches Chatbot Service To Showcase Tenure Activities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.