Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,854 members, 7,817,528 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG (6107 Views)

Masked Witnesses Cannot Testify Against Kanu - Court To FG / Fayose To FG: Tell Nigerians Owners Of REMITA / Repulsive Odour Forces Reps To Adjourn Till Nov 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by LagosStar: 12:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
PointB: What some of you folks say or think about this is clearly immaterial. Achebe became Biafran as a matter of circumstance. 'Things Fall Apart' was written in 1958 long before the first bullet of the Biafran was fired. His last work, the memoir, 'There was a country' remains his personal accounts of the Nigeria civil war - a war sane nation should have sat down to discuss and appreciate with the intention of forestalling a re-occurance. But in typical Nigeria fashion, the opportunity was missed. Even in death his works reminds Nigeria of their glorious and rich past, her mistakes, and ultimately opportunity to make amends. Alas again like Nigeria we rather pander to sentiments.

Naming the National Library in his honour is too little a token to show apprecitaion to this great man. How about Abuja Univeristy in addition, and of course only for starters?

Why are you guys leaving the univeristies outside Biafa? 1st you guys wanted UI named after him, now University of Abuja. Why not University of Nigeria, Nsuka? At least when Biafra comes to be, there would be no need to rename UNN again.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 12:57pm On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki:

Please refrain from foolishness whenever you address me forthwith on this forum.

Achebe can NEVER be in the league of Mandela. What did Achebe do for his constituency? What developmental or world acclaimed literature project did he bring to Ogidiland? Where was Achebe when Ojukwu started his useless Biafra war and he fled with his g-string pants on at night?

Did Achebe go to jail for 27years for you Igbo people? Has he ever led any protest on the street of Nigeria for you Igbos? What qualifies him to be on the same pedestal as the Great Mandiba of South Africa?

Am not a tribalist. Infact my tribe is immaterial here. But I wanted to respond to the above questions thinking it was an honest inquiry until I came to the bolded. It shows your questions panders on tibalism than intellectualism.

At any rate let me ask you this: Does it mean that people that has distinguished themselves in their various areas of endeavors must have similar life experiences before they are placed in the same pedestal? Hmmmmmm!

2 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by tpia5: 12:59pm On Mar 27, 2013
I'm currently reading the book and i find it interesting he criticized ojukwu also but we heard nothing about that, from nlers.

Na wa, smh.

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by tpia5: 1:01pm On Mar 27, 2013
And @ topic

How many of the people jumping up here, even know nigeria has a national library?

Wetin be una own sef, do you read for leisure?

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by ACM10: 1:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ishsoph: [/b]

Am not a tribalist. Infact my tribe is immaterial here. But I wanted to respond to the above questions thinking it was an honest inquiry until I came to the bolded. It shows your questions panders on tibalism than intellectualism.

At any rate let me ask you this: Does it mean that people that has distinguished themselves in their various areas of endeavors must have similar life experiences before they are placed in the same pedestal? Hmmmmmm!

The fabric of this country has been so destroyed by tribalism. It is a futile exercise to engage anyone here on intellectual discussion.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 27, 2013
The motion was moved by Rep.Charles Odedo

What do you expect?
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by RedLight1: 1:08pm On Mar 27, 2013
Akshow: I'm lookin forward to read what mandela will write about you too in relation to your profession. Bunch of jokers! So because he took a pix wit achebe and achebe's books was a company to him in the prison you wanna tell me they are in the Same league. Mandiba dint flee south Africa to America even in the face of obnoxious racism. Lets start from there
hmmmmmm
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by BabaOlowo: 1:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
For how long will these fools rule over us? The Man does not want your national award, his works will always speak for him. Name the Library after Dame Jonathan, I on behalf of Chinua Achebe's fans worldwide reject it on his behalf because that is what he would have done if he were to be alive today, Thanks for the offer though but NO!!! Let Him REST in Peace.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by mensdept: 1:12pm On Mar 27, 2013
Of course, Nigeria is a country desperate to look for national heros like almost all the other nations that have produced the like. We need this to justify our deplorable forced existence and to feel we are on the same level as France or America.

Nevertheless, its's funny that national monuments are going for men who died for what they believed in- the advancement of their people, and not of their pockets.

So whether its national library ABuja, or a library in Anambra or Enugu, Achebe is respected hero for Africans, and all haters can hate.

Those haters haven't done anything to match even Achebe's driver in their lives, but can drink garri very well.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by ACM10: 1:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
Akshow: I'm lookin forward to read what mandela will write about you too in relation to your profession. Bunch of jokers! So because he took a pix wit achebe and achebe's books was a company to him in the prison you wanna tell me they are in the Same league. Mandiba dint flee south Africa to America even in the face of obnoxious racism. Lets start from there

Abiola fled Nigeria in fear of Abacha. Why do Yorubas insist on making him the symbol of Nigeria's democracy?

2 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 1:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

Abiola fled Nigeria in fear of Abacha. Why do Yorubas insist on making him the symbol of Nigeria's democracy?

He stood up against a bully, defended your votes when Ekenedili Chuckwu was a more attractive option to some people.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by slimghost(m): 1:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
ACM10:

You are wrong bro! In as much as he was one hell of a crook, i respect the fact that he died for what he believed in!
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by ACM10: 1:30pm On Mar 27, 2013
Aigbofa:

He stood up against a bully, defended your votes when Ekenedili Chuckwu was a more attractive option to some people.

I'm lost here. How did he defend my vote from the borders of Benin republic disguised as a local cocoa farmer? Even Mandela wasn't amused when he famously told him that he did not flee South Africa in the face of oppression. Prof Achebe did not flee Nigeria in the face of oppression. He went to America to rub mind with the best on the continent. He went to America for fresher challenge. He distinguished himself in the field of Literature. Contributed to the intellectual development of Africa. Sweated it out in the lecture halls of UNN. What did Abiola achieve? Polygamy? Sexual recklessness? Embezzlement of public funds? Funding of coup d' etat? What did he achieve??

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 1:35pm On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki:

Lol. "Don't be silly", would you also classify that as an insult?

I classed your comment as foolishness not your person. If I had said: "you are foolish for making a foolish comparison", that my friend is an insult.

Jeez! Even Achebe would be wondering what is wrong with your comprehension skills right now.

I think we are going round in circles, my dear sire, which isn't the point for the post. Unfortunately, some school of thought would strongly insist that this is down to your obvious hatred for the man, Achebe.

The point about this post has been trashed and treated long ago. Achebe's family would and should refuse any national 'honour' that the so-called representatives will want to bestow on him. They should reserve the medals for Tinubu, Bode George, etc.

Enshrine true federalism, equity, justice and meritocracy in Nigeria. That is the best national 'award' they can give the Icon that is Achebe.

Besides I was at the UN recently and they observed a moment of silence for him.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by ekoilee: 1:40pm On Mar 27, 2013
Zona.com:

YES! Achebe is in the league of mandela and others like the great zik of africa. These people were pace setters in their areas of endeavour. Mandela fought for the freedom of his people physically and politically, so did zik and others. In the case of achebe HE HELPED TO LIBERATE AFRICA MENTALLY. Have you taken time to read about some of his achievements? He single handedly corrected the evil notion the outside world had about africa. Before achebe and his likes, the whites who'd never been to africa thought the continent was just a hell-hole. So i repeat HE IS IN THE LEAGUE OF MANDELA AND OTHERS. Everybody must not go to prison. Mandela even said in his tribute, that it was in the company of achebe's novel that the prison walls came crashing

If you are around the Igbo all you hear are boasts about his real and imaginary accomplishments. He is very vainglory seeking

The Igbo is narcissistic in that he thinks that he is special and that other people ought to admire him. The Igbo actually imagines that other Nigerians are his inferiors and ought to admire him.

http://www.igbofocus.com/html/the_igbo_problem_can_be_fixed.html
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki:

Please refrain from foolishness whenever you address me forthwith on this forum.

Achebe can NEVER be in the league of Mandela. What did Achebe do for his constituency? What developmental or world acclaimed literature project did he bring to Ogidiland? Where was Achebe when Ojukwu started his useless Biafra war and he fled with his g-string pants on at night?

Did Achebe go to jail for 27years for you Igbo people? Has he ever led any protest on the street of Nigeria for you Igbos? What qualifies him to be on the same pedestal as the Great Mandiba of South Africa?

For this statement above, the free education Awo gave ur father and u is a wasted resources. Damn, must everybody go to prison b4 he become a legend shocked shocked shocked, what protest will be bigger than refusing a National Award, or do u have ur brain in ur A.nus undecided undecided undecided
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 2:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
seguno2:

Wgat was Achebe's contibution to ensure that the representaTHIEVES to Abuja from his area are credible people who can adequately reflect his views at the national level including negotiatin GREATER autonomy in the last two constitutional amendments passed in the NASS?
Abeg I hope seu you nor mind to educate an uninformed persin laiki me, sir.

From his abode in the United States where he was based, duty to lack of adequate health facilities to cater for him in his home country Nigeria as a result of a debilitating accident he had while driving on Nigeria's death trap, he did a few things to bring international attention to the state of things in his country.

He rejected, publicly, two national awards from two different governments in Nigeria and publicly stated the reason for the rejections, which were hinged on the state of things in Nigeria. He wrote to Obj and also in the press a very vociferous statement about the 'kidnapp of a siting Governor' and the bastardisation of democracy in Anambra state.

The best someone with international acclaim can do to a government is to bring international attention to his/her country. This he did on a continuous basis.

I am sure if the government calls you tomorrow and gives you a national award, you will collect it without thinking twice of how you will use the opportunity to make a strong statement to bring change to Nigeria.

Thank God, Soyinka is still alive. Let the government give him a national award and see how he will embarrass them.

Men of intellect and truth are few. That is why the world celebrates them.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Dibiachukwu: 2:51pm On Mar 27, 2013
FG should leave Achebe alone. These peopel made it clear, they don't need their patronize. Achebe refused all awards when he was alive. Why do you think he would accept this? How come they all come to love you when you are dead? This same people that called for achebe's head for saying the truth! You want to force your st.up.id awards on this man, just because he can't refuse it now? Just like you forced your state burial on Ojukwu? If people like danjuma and obasanjo got national awards, I am sure both Achebe and Ojukwu would consider such an award an insult. Niggerians why don't you just leave these people alone. Is it by force to be associated with you dullards? F**cK!
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by slimghost(m): 2:52pm On Mar 27, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

For this statement above, the free education Awo gave ur father and u is a wasted resources. Damn, must everybody go to prison b4 he become a legend shocked shocked shocked, what protest will be bigger than refusing a National Award, or do u have ur brain in ur A.nus undecided undecided undecided

Oh, you are just finding out that the fool is demented? haba!
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by naijaspeak(m): 4:05pm On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki: The easiest way to spit on Achebe and on his grave is by according him a national recognition in his death.

Achebe clearly did not like the existence of a one Nigeria. He was biafra by heart and soul. He severally rejected whatever national award the nation and the government wanted to give to him.

If the senate wants to honor, please march to his Ogidiland and build whatever you want there in his name.

Achebe would be hissing wherever he is right now, to hear that he is being considered for national recognition.

You have said the truth. Achebe does not deserve this kind of honour. I think the government of Anambra state where he comes from should be the one that should honour him.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Pataki: 4:13pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ishsoph: [/b]

Funny that you are drifting towards intellectualism. I was suddenly lit alive only to read your last paragraph. sad If you are really that intellectual, you would not answer my question with a question. That is not intellectualism that is plain indolent reasoning.

To answer your question, brings me back to my question. On what pedestal does it grant us to equate Achebe (a tribalist) to the great Mandiba? undecided Achebe wrote books, I have failed to see how his works emancipated or distinguished even ordinary Igbos from the mental servitude they are shackled with. Could your intellectual self clarify this for me? undecided
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Dede1(m): 4:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki:

Nigeria is really teeming with drooling dullards. When did going to jail become an achievement to write home about? Africa is sliding into the path self-destruction with moronic dingbats such as above poster on the loose.

2 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Pataki: 4:26pm On Mar 27, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

Sod off you irritating bum. Had your father availed himself and you of the free education the West was giving, you would not be having this pathetic and appalling English that you are suffering me to read online.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Crayola1: 4:40pm On Mar 27, 2013
tpia@:
I'm currently reading the book and i find it interesting he criticized ojukwu also but we heard nothing about that, from nlers.

Na wa, smh.

Everyone has an agenda here undecided

I don't know how people can form an opinion of a 300+ pg novel from a few excerpts and excerpts that are not given proper context.

I read comments that said Achebe criticized all of the major leaders of the time not just Awo.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by tpia5: 5:39pm On Mar 27, 2013
i'm seeing criticism upon criticism in the book [not to mention the fact that very little of the biafran info is new, its mostly his experiences which could be considered previously unknown], but the selective readers must have skipped those parts.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by tpia5: 5:41pm On Mar 27, 2013
naijaspeak:

You have said the truth. Achebe does not deserve this kind of honour. I think the government of Anambra state where he comes from should be the one that should honour him.

since his work was not read only in anambra state, anambra alone cannot honour him.

as per deserving this kind of honour, i suppose you consider yourself a better candidate? Based on what please, kindly educate the rest of us since we are all learning here.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
Decryptor: And secondly, because he exposed that bloody genocide-monster called "TOAD in Ibo language". Thank God Achebe died a natural death in peace and not by drinking Rat-Poison like that other coward! NOTE: I no mention any tribe or call any name here o!!
y u no go mention person. D guy be real Awo(toad)
Even sef, one of their guvnors is named witch- Amosun in Ogun or so.
And Na so, dem be for real life.
Philip Emeagwali thread nko?? Na so dem be the only ppl wey beaf the icon.
I have neva seen more bitter ppl in dis world

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 6:52pm On Mar 27, 2013
Achebe's office, Brown University, School of Africana Studies.

Simplicity and Humility.

Rest on, The Iroko of African Literature.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by CyberG: 7:52pm On Mar 27, 2013
Tribalist Ashebe? There is no need to name anything after him, leave him alone where he ran to. Or better, take him to his iboland. In any case, naming anything after him would make him so upset but he can't do anything about it! grin grin
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Bobandgreat: 9:04pm On Mar 27, 2013
I suggest we name Yoruba Cultural house after him in the South West if there is anything like that because he shed more light on the events of the war for the young impressionable yoruba minds who would have been brainwashed with the fake stories. He gave everybody the truth, but, more especially the Yorubas so that our history can be unanimously preserved.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 9:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki:

Hahaha! Just seeing this! Who told you I am Igbo?

Your myopicism is as medical as its physical. Shocking.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by tpia5: 9:38pm On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007: Achebe's office, Brown University, School of Africana Studies.

Simplicity and Humility.

Rest on, The Iroko of African Literature.

nice picture.

still hard to believe he wont be back to sit in that chair.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DSS Sacks Ogar / May Day: Ogun Workers Beg Abiodun To Pay ₦68 Billion Pension Gratuities / Oyebanji Canvasses Innovative Civil Service, As New HOS Is Inaugurated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.