Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,835 members, 7,817,453 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG (6106 Views)

Masked Witnesses Cannot Testify Against Kanu - Court To FG / Fayose To FG: Tell Nigerians Owners Of REMITA / Repulsive Odour Forces Reps To Adjourn Till Nov 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by teejayreal(m): 10:07am On Mar 27, 2013
This is a good suggestion, afterall the man is intelligent. Check ma signature to receive the dstv software.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 27, 2013
Akshow: What will other countries do wit his respect and glory? They dont have there own literary icons or what? The world does not revolve around achebe abeg. @topic, i think it is a wrong step considering the fact that e never wanted any of naija's mediocre award when he was alive. Let them let the old man rest abeg.

Go to CNN, BBC CCTV and see how other African Diplomats are claiming him an African and mention less of Nigeria
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by anonimi: 10:12am On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

I think your line of argument is fundamentally flawed. Your president GEJ, the decisions he has taken are they representative of what you wanted? I am sure, no is the answer.

I believe you are the one missing the point here.
GEJ has to take in the desires of 160m Nigerians and decide what the majority wants. If he determines that even though the majority wants something but will not be in their best interest in the long run, he as a wise leader should be brave enough to not do it.
Get my drift

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 10:25am On Mar 27, 2013
Akshow: So Because mandela said that about him that is your basis for Comparin him wit Mandiba? He is a writer and mandela was merely appreciating his book and contribution to African literature! Dont ever compare mandela wit achebe pls. Don't even dream of it.

Easy bro... I guess you are in some sort of profession, right?

I shall wait to read the tribute Madiba shall write about you in relation to your profession. It's a challenge, make him write something about you sir.

In Achebe's own words, 'If you don't like someone's story, write your own'

Please take that as a feedback and also to your decreasing army of confused haters.

4 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Melancholy(m): 10:26am On Mar 27, 2013
If u are in support of this bill say 'I' bullshit!!! He's not worth it abegii cos when he was alive he got nothing to contribute for the development of this great nation.All what he does is for self appraisal.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 10:28am On Mar 27, 2013
anonimi:

I believe you are the one missing the point here.
GEJ has to take in the desires of 160m Nigerians and decide what the majority wants. If he determines that even though the majority wants something but will not be in their best interest in the long run, he as a wise leader should be brave enough to not do it.
Get my drift

Lol... You talk about 'representing' and I also talk about 'representing'.

Let's appreciate consistencies in arguments. You can not use a certain focal point as a yardstick and expect it not to be used against you.

Anyway, I have replied you as regards to the 'representaTHIEF'.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Akshow: 10:28am On Mar 27, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

Go to CNN, BBC CCTV and see how other African Diplomats are claiming him an African and mention less of Nigeria
that still does not make him to be in the league of a living legend. Nelson. Nelson never preached hate, unforgiveness, and supremacy of any people over others. He is a man of the people with the interest of all the black and coloured race not jus his tribe. Pls refrain from comparing achebe wit him. I insist there is no basis at all. Of course this is not to say i am oblivious to achebe's contribution to African literature and biafran struggle.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by cantell(m): 10:29am On Mar 27, 2013
seguno2:

Wgat was Achebe's contibution to ensure that the representaTHIEVES to Abuja from his area are credible people who can adequately reflect his views at the national level including negotiatin GREATER autonomy in the last two constitutional amendments passed in the NASS?
Abeg I hope seu you nor mind to educate an uninformed persin laiki me, sir.
He should probably take up arms and some mercenaries to PDP or ACN primaries, just to make sure they elect credible candidates?
Foolish questions can cause brain cancer.
baynix: Must We Name Everythin After Some Heroes?? BTW.. Achebe Was A Tribalist!!
Of course, he is! Why won't he be? Afterall he wrote down his experiences during the war and Pa Awo's name was associated with genocide.
So clearly, i can understand your reason.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Akshow: 10:32am On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

Easy bro... I guess you are in some sort of profession, right?

I shall wait to read the tribute Madiba shall write about you in relation to your profession. It's a challenge, make him write something about you sir.

In Achebe's own words, 'If you don't like someone's story, write your own'

Please take that as a feedback and also to your decreasing army of confused haters.
I'm lookin forward to read what mandela will write about you too in relation to your profession. Bunch of jokers! So because he took a pix wit achebe and achebe's books was a company to him in the prison you wanna tell me they are in the Same league. Mandiba dint flee south Africa to America even in the face of obnoxious racism. Lets start from there

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Zonacom(m): 10:37am On Mar 27, 2013
Akshow: in the league of mandela? HahaHaha i laugh in Spanish. Comparin death and sleep. Comparin life and death. Fyi Mandela fought for all not for his clan. He never believed his people are superior than others as achebe erroneously believed. He love and fought for the common goal of all black and coloured people not jus for his clan So What is the basis of your comparison. Pls dont rubbish Mandiba and drag his name into your Nairaland tribalism.
YES! Achebe is in the league of mandela and others like the great zik of africa. These people were pace setters in their areas of endeavour. Mandela fought for the freedom of his people physically and politically, so did zik and others. In the case of achebe HE HELPED TO LIBERATE AFRICA MENTALLY. Have you taken time to read about some of his achievements? He single handedly corrected the evil notion the outside world had about africa. Before achebe and his likes, the whites who'd never been to africa thought the continent was just a hell-hole. So i repeat HE IS IN THE LEAGUE OF MANDELA AND OTHERS. Everybody must not go to prison. Mandela even said in his tribute, that it was in the company of achebe's novel that the prison walls came crashing

10 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by seguno2: 10:47am On Mar 27, 2013
cantell:
He should probably take up arms and some mercenaries to PDP or ACN primaries, just to make sure they elect credible candidates?
Foolish questions can cause brain cancer.

Oga at the top na wetin?
Me with you bin fight before?
Nor be una bin talk sey una literary giant dey influential like oga Mandela
Abi im nor fit influence ordinary election for representatives in his local constituency.

Otherwise how persin go take sabi sey the ogbonge man get am for influence?
Na wa oh for wayas.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 10:50am On Mar 27, 2013
jimharry21: About the first four replies to this post demonstrated a typical Nigerian mediocre level of thinking. the very vice the late professor was combating when he rejected national awards pointing to the grave sufferings of many Nigerians and the depth corrupting has eating this Nation. He said in "There was a Country" that rejecting the award was the only tool in his disposal to protest the way of governance in Nigeria. so dear people try as much as you can to broaden your imagination and knowledge of any topic before passing a sweeping judgment. Thumbs-up Senators and Reps.
What do they know kwanu? U are putting sense into jealous ppl.
All because d icon isnt from SW and none of their ppl get d appreciation achebe has worldwide,dead and alive.

6 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Nobody: 10:57am On Mar 27, 2013
Melancholy: If u are in support of this bill say 'I' bullshit!!! He's not worth it abegii cos when he was alive he got nothing to contribute for the development of this great nation.All what he does is for self appraisal.
Peoples' becoming is becoming unbecoming these days.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by IleIfe2(m): 11:06am On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

Hope you know his family can reject it? And they would.

Carry your detestable Nigerian National Award and give the likes of Tinubu, Alams and Shekaru.

Achebe's in the league of Mandela, and the likes. Not those shenanigans

Oya grin grin
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by IleIfe2(m): 11:06am On Mar 27, 2013
PointB: What some of you folks say or think about this is clearly immaterial. Achebe became Biafran as a matter of circumstance. 'Things Fall Apart' was written in 1958 long before the first bullet of the Biafran was fired. His last work, the memoir, 'There was a country' remains his personal accounts of the Nigeria civil war - a war sane nation should have sat down to discuss and appreciate with the intention of forestalling a re-occurance. But in typical Nigeria fashion, the opportunity was missed. Even in death his works reminds Nigeria of their glorious and rich past, her mistakes, and ultimately opportunity to make amends. Alas again like Nigeria we rather pander to sentiments.

Naming the National Library in his honour is too little a token to show apprecitaion to this great man. How about Abuja Univeristy in addition, and of course only for starters?

Why not name Nigeria after him? Change it to Federal republic of Achebe. grin

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 11:22am On Mar 27, 2013
Akshow: I'm lookin forward to read what mandela will write about you too in relation to your profession. Bunch of jokers! So because he took a pix wit achebe and achebe's books was a company to him in the prison you wanna tell me they are in the Same league. Mandiba dint flee south Africa to America even in the face of obnoxious racism. Lets start from there

If you don't like someone's story, write your own-

- Chinua Achebe

I'm out of here bro. The level of people's hate is hypnotically abysmal these days.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by chax100(f): 11:23am On Mar 27, 2013
The great Achebe deserves it. The Igbos must add their voice in support and must not be foolish like the Yorubas that denied MKO the honour of being named after UNILAG.

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Pataki: 11:26am On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

Hope you know his family can reject it? And they would.

Carry your detestable Nigerian National Award and give the likes of Tinubu, Alams and Shekaru.

Achebe's in the league of Mandela, and the likes. Not those shenanigans

Please refrain from foolishness whenever you address me forthwith on this forum.

Achebe can NEVER be in the league of Mandela. What did Achebe do for his constituency? What developmental or world acclaimed literature project did he bring to Ogidiland? Where was Achebe when Ojukwu started his useless Biafra war and he fled with his g-string pants on at night?

Did Achebe go to jail for 27years for you Igbo people? Has he ever led any protest on the street of Nigeria for you Igbos? What qualifies him to be on the same pedestal as the Great Mandiba of South Africa?

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by ACM10: 11:26am On Mar 27, 2013
ndu_chucks: I don't believe that Achebe himself would have appreciated this honour given that he rejected all national honours which were accorded to him when he was alive. They can go and immortalize Achebe in Anambra state if they wish, The senators should allow the man to rest in peace.

Mr. you lied that Prof Achebe used the term "Ibo" in his book. The instances he used "Ibo" was when he quoted other sources.
You have started your distortion of facts again. Achebe accepted his first national honour taking into consideration that Nigeria is not perfect and has room for improvement, but rejected later awards in 2003 and 2001 as a form of protest. His action is typical of an Igboman with integrity. 46yrs ago, Dr. Akanu Ibiam did the same to the Britist royalties on account of their support for genocide in Nigeria.

Below is your lie and my response. . .

ndu_chucks:

Why must you lie here, your honest discussion was what was expected of you.

You, of all people should have read Achebe's There Was A Country, published a few months ago, and if you have not, then you are very lazy and one must ask what the basis of your defense of Achebe was when he was under the heat for the publication.

Her's what I found in the said book:

Page 231 ….to pursue total and unconditional victory and by fear of the Ibo people that surrender means whole sale atrocities and genocide…

Page 274…large extent, with natural ethnic divisions. Notably, the East would be divided in such a way that the oil reserves would be located in states without an Ibo majority…

The word Ibo is found in the same book on Pages 289, 296, 313, 315, etc etc.

You are in fact the most daring and shameless liar that I've encountered on this forum. Prof Achebe used "Igbo" all through the book. The instances he made metion of "Ibo" was when he quoted other sources. You are taking advantage of the fact that none of us has read the book. Your cup has filled up.

231 quoted richard nixon 1968 sept 10
274 quoted anber's observation
289 ojukwu freed awolowo
296 american jewish congress quotin adekunle
313 american jewish congress
315 Sir Robert Stapledon British governor of eastern region(1959 - 1960)

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by ikweremilitant: 11:31am On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki: The easiest way to spit on Achebe and on his grave is by according him a national recognition in his death.

Achebe clearly did not like the existence of a one Nigeria. He was biafra by heart and soul. He severally rejected whatever national award the nation and the government wanted to give to him.

If the senate wants to honor, please march to his Ogidiland and build whatever you want there in his name.

Achebe would be hissing wherever he is right now, to hear that he is being considered for national recognition.
so all dis is becos he exposed d criminal awo ole abi

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 11:41am On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki:

Please refrain from foolishness whenever you address me forthwith on this forum.

Achebe can NEVER be in the league of Mandela. What did Achebe do for his constituency? What developmental or world acclaimed literature project did he bring to Ogidiland? Where was Achebe when Ojukwu started his useless Biafra war and he fled with his g-string pants on at night?

Did Achebe go to jail for 27years for you Igbo people? Has he ever led any protest on the street of Nigeria for you Igbos? What qualifies him to be on the same pedestal as the Great Mandiba of South Africa?

Lol... When someone who has no point wants to speak, he starts by insulting the other person.

That is what you are doing sir. I do not know how to insult so I won't insult you back.

'If you do not like someone's story, PLEASE WRITE YOUR OWN!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by ichidodo: 11:46am On Mar 27, 2013
Achebe might not like it but he is dead.So we wil name anything after him, he cant do anything.

2 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Pataki: 11:48am On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

Lol... When someone who has no point wants to speak, he starts by insulting the other person.

That is what you are doing sir. I do not know how to insult so I won't insult you back.

'If you do not like someone's story, PLEASE WRITE YOUR OWN!!!!!

LOL.....acting like the victim again.

I did not insult you. If I had said: "you are foolish", that is an insult.

I rather found your comment of comparing Mandela and Achebe as equal to be utter foolishness.

I have asked pertinent question, but it seems you are not equipped to answer my question.

It can therefore be concluded that Achebe is not on the same pedestal as Mandela.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by itsme9jaG(f): 11:49am On Mar 27, 2013
jimharry21: About the first four replies to this post demonstrated a typical Nigerian mediocre level of thinking. the very vice the late professor was combating when he rejected national awards pointing to the grave sufferings of many Nigerians and the depth corrupting has eating this Nation. He said in "There was a Country" that rejecting the award was the only tool in his disposal to protest the way of governance in Nigeria. so dear people try as much as you can to broaden your imagination and knowledge of any topic before passing a sweeping judgment. Thumbs-up Senators and Reps.

on point. i am not igbo, infact i am from the middle belt but hold the late professor in the highest esteem. he rejected the awards to drive home a point for the common man on the street. We can only move this country forward by looking at issues from a wider perspective, seeking for justice and better governance. kabish

3 Likes

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 11:57am On Mar 27, 2013
Pataki:

LOL.....acting like the victim again.

I did not insult you. If I had said: "you are foolish", that is an insult.

I rather found your comment of comparing Mandela and Achebe as equal to be utter foolishness.

I have asked pertinent question, but it seems you are not equipped to answer my question.

It can therefore be concluded that Achebe is not on the same pedestal as Mandela.

LOL... Seems you still the need likes of Achebe and Soyinka to teach you English.

'Refrain from foolishness' which you said, simply means 'Stop being foolish'

Which is a cheeky insult, my dear sir. That is something which i am not so gifted in.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by madridsta007(m): 12:20pm On Mar 27, 2013
itsme9jaG:

on point. i am not igbo, infact i am from the middle belt but hold the late professor in the highest esteem. he rejected the awards to drive home a point for the common man on the street. We can only move this country forward by looking at issues from a wider perspective, seeking for justice and better governance. kabish

A million likes for this. Or 'loves'.

I hope the scales in the eyes of chauvinistic ethnic bigots will drop off, even for one day. This is our earnest prayer to you O Lord. Amen.
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Pataki: 12:21pm On Mar 27, 2013
madridsta007:

LOL... Seems you still the need likes of Achebe and Soyinka to teach you English.

'Refrain from foolishness' which you said, simply means 'Stop being foolish'

Which is a cheeky insult, my dear sir. That is something which i am not so gifted in.

Lol. "Don't be silly", would you also classify that as an insult?

I classed your comment as foolishness not your person. If I had said: "you are foolish for making a foolish comparison", that my friend is an insult.

Jeez! Even Achebe would be wondering what is wrong with your comprehension skills right now.

1 Like

Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by Decryptor(m): 12:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
ngozievergreen:
What do they know kwanu? U are putting sense into jealous ppl.
All because d icon isnt from SW and none of their ppl get d appreciation achebe has worldwide,dead and alive.

And secondly, because he exposed that bloody genocide-monster called "TOAD in Ibo language". Thank God Achebe died a natural death in peace and not by drinking Rat-Poison like that other coward! NOTE: I no mention any tribe or call any name here o!!
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by slimghost(m): 12:29pm On Mar 27, 2013
baynix: Must We Name Everythin After Some Heroes?? BTW.. Achebe Was A Tribalist!!

Must you show your stewpidity at all times?? BTW.. You are a kid!
Re: Name National Library After Achebe: Reps To FG by tpia5: 12:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
Topic

This should have been done before he passed away.

Anyway, better late than never.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: FG Planning To Declare State-of-emergency In Rivers Over Wike Audio / Ekiti Tensions Eleka Refuses To Participate In Debate / If Obi Wins 7 States In 2023, I Will Give Out N250k To Selected Members Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.