Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

Noisy Places Of Worship - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Noisy Places Of Worship (4373 Views)

How Many Times Do They Collect Offerings In Your Place Of Worship? / Are You Comfortable In Your Place Of Worship?Read this photo inside / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Noisy Places Of Worship by Cade(m): 3:55pm On Mar 31, 2008
I just wanna know what others would do if you got a new apartment or your own building and after one month of serenity a huge Church or Mosque takes occupation of the plot next to you and start round the clock sevices, prayers and  sermons on MONSTER speakers. what options do you have?
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by AKO1(m): 4:58pm On Mar 31, 2008
Tolerate them or pack the hell out. Simple.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by Frizy(m): 5:36pm On Mar 31, 2008
If you don't like this then it's better you vacate the area too. You can't sue a church for noise pollution in Nigeria grin. Sentiments apart.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by Frizy(m): 8:51pm On Mar 31, 2008
By what measure do you determine when songs in the church are too much?
Your song is 60% of your activity on the sunday service. Not to consider those services during the week. In Nigeria, christains hold services from Monday-Saturday, now tell me can't this impair your hearing? eh?! With drums and all your ascoutic equipment. Frankly, I think there should be restriction if there isn't if the church wants to use public address systems. It can be dangerous if in case there is crime(robbery) or anything. THIS NOISE WONT MAKE ANYONE AWARE OF WHAT HAPPENS, DAVID PLEASE UNDERSTAND. The call to prayer will last for the maximum of 2 minutes. Fives a day equals 10 minutes.
Otherhand, church-First,second and last services last for 2 hours each at least. Now 60% of 6 hours is 3hours 40 minutes. I hope you understand
Why is this a source of sorrow and anger to mooslims?

Am not angry, I'm simply pointing out why is not healthy for someone to live in an area with so much disturbances. Some people can't concentrate on anything when there is much noise.
Why are they desperate to prove that songs in the church are unbiblical?

Whoever posted"did Jesus sing" only wanted to know if or not. Should in case he did no be fight-tell him

and what is the difference if it were a church? would it not also save you the stress of going too far and the reward of congregational worship?

Not all christains go to churches that their families don't know of.
Do you have your brain screwed on when you type or is is'lam a religion for the intellectually defficient?
Hey, be careful. I wont respond to your naive thought. angry

Is Frizy cognisant of the fact that blaring "calls to prayer" at 5am when kids are fast asleep constitutes a public nuisance?
It's just for very few minutes. You can't compare it with your"holy ghost convention" Night vigils
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by JeSoul(f): 8:56pm On Mar 31, 2008
I'm a christian and I love church BUT I think we should be respectful of our neighbors and their space and peace. Serving and praising God does not mean we disrupt the lives of those around us.

Yes have service, we'll praise God lively and sometimes it'll get real loud but don't exaggerate with speakers that you can hear from the next country, or have round the clock events at 3am on a weeknight when people are trying to sleep and get rest for work the next day. Part of serving and loving God is treating your neighbor like you'd want them to treat you, and respecting their needs.

But poster I think you have few no options. . . unfortunately there's nuthin you can do.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by Sentra: 8:56pm On Mar 31, 2008
This is a sign that town planning has failed in our major cities. Churches/mosque are not suppose to be located in residential area. If you happen to come across the plan of Lagos for instance, we have areas that have been earmarked commercial/industrial etc
But due to the inefficiency of our town planning officers/ corruption, anything goes these days.
Back to your question, it is not an easy task to move from one house  to another and I doubt if you and your neighbors  can make the worship place go away, however, you may consult with elders in your  area and make them reason with you.They can approach the authorities of the place of worship reduce their level of noise.If this approach does not work(which I very much doubt) you just have to tolerate them till you move .
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by 4Him(m): 8:57pm On Mar 31, 2008
Frizy:

Your song is 60% of your activity on the sunday service. Not to consider those services during the week. In Nigeria, christains hold services from Monday-Saturday, now tell me can't this impair your hearing? eh?! With drums and all your ascoutic equipment. Frankly, I think there should be restriction if there isn't if the church wants to use public address systems. It can be dangerous if in case there is crime(robbery) or anything. THIS NOISE WONT MAKE ANYONE AWARE OF WHAT HAPPENS, DAVID PLEASE UNDERSTAND. The call to prayer will last for the maximum of 2 minutes. Fives a day equals 10 minutes.

Noise pollution is a serious offence in developed countries . . . i think  this is up to the government to enforce.
There should be strict limits on where churches can be located, certainly not in residential areas and ditto for mosques.
Yes the call to prayer lasts for only 2 mins but its 2 mins of disturbing my sweet sleep at 5am in the morning every freaking day.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by JayFK(m): 9:03pm On Mar 31, 2008
There should be restrictions on their crap, nowadays any Tom, Dick and freaking Harry can decide to establish a Church in a residential area and they should be Tolerated?
When I was in PH a church moved in next to our house and its an "open air" church, with canopies. They used to hold night vigils every Friday and this is a residential area. So fu****g annoying, at least 4 residents applied sound proofing, but I mean shouldn't it be the church that has to do the sound proofing? lol anyways about a month ago, my brother told me the landlord evicted them for failure to pay rent and I'm like what the hell did they do with all the offering money? Next time a church moves next to my area and fails to apply sound proofing, the pyromaniac in me will be unleashed.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by kattie(f): 9:08pm On Mar 31, 2008
I would just have to leave that environment
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by AKO1(m): 9:13pm On Mar 31, 2008
In Nigeria, christains hold services from Monday-Saturday, now tell me can't this impair your hearing? eh?! With drums and all your ascoutic equipment.

If your church has a good sound engineer and you don't seat near the speakers, you hearing cannot be impaired.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by Uche2nna(m): 9:19pm On Mar 31, 2008
JayFK:

Next time a church moves next to my area and fails to apply sound proofing, the pyromaniac in me will be unleashed.

LMAO

Actually, U would be suprised on how quickly u would adjust to the noise. I used to have one near my area @ Onitsha. It was no church building, just a primary school with a huge field. A pastor rented it for use for church activities. Those guys made one's life a living hell. U cant get a decent a night's sleep. Not on Wed, Fri and Sat. But gradually, I kind of acclimatised to it.

But I agree with u based on those first few months. Those noises at nite can drive one insane. I honestly contemplated picking up a match and a gal;lon of fuel.  grin
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by Radiant(f): 11:10pm On Mar 31, 2008
LMAO, Not sure if anything can be done about it in Nigeria.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by Nobody: 2:57am On Apr 01, 2008
The Church/Mosque noises are really pains in the asses.
The noise pollution those people cause is too much. I think the local government should regulate that and ensure that churches/mosques do not make use of loudspeakers outside the churches.

Things like this don't happen in Yankee, the place of worship would be sued. Noise pollution is something the government should really look into.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by ken82(m): 7:16am On Apr 01, 2008
It's one of those things about the modern day religion in this country
you should either tolerate them or pack out
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by bebure(m): 8:41am On Apr 01, 2008
Why the hell should we tolerate them. It makes no sense whatsoever. There are millions of churches in Nigeria yet corruption is rife. Churches should not be built in residential areas or if they must be then they should make sure they have a decent building with soundproofing in place. If Health and Safety Laws were followed in Nigeria a lot of these places of worship would be forced to do something about the noise or call it quits.
While we are on the subject of churches I also feel I must say that government should focus a bit less on telling us to be Christ like (which is a good thing) and more on actions to ensure that people are more accountable for their actions. Nigeria is perhaps the most religious country in the world and yet one of the most corrupt. We need to focus on other solutions to our problems.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by kemisuga(f): 10:14am On Apr 01, 2008
You just have to adapt to the situations around you. Before you know it, you will be used to the noisy environment.

What of if you pack out, and the place you are packing to is worst than the previous. Whatever situation you find yourself just give thanks to God.

Cheers!!!
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by zheroes(m): 10:38am On Apr 01, 2008
i once experienced this problem, i took time to discuss with those involved but i guess it fell on deaf ears and i decided to give back "EYE FOR EYE".

i went and bought same brand of speakers as the occupants on the neighbouring plot and started playing my favourite love songs, not too long people around said i was a demon.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by hollandis(f): 10:59am On Apr 01, 2008
I live in an apartment several kilommeters away from a church or mosque ,I still hate that 5.15am call to prayer,and loud speakers at the church entrances too.
I would have expected some of the church planters to use their initiative when siting churches ,they should try as much as possible to site it very far off because one can not rule out the disturbances they could unleash on their neighbours.
I cannot lease an apartment in my house to any church
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by jkpretty(f): 11:20am On Apr 01, 2008
Many times there's absolutely nothing u can do about it. undecided Only left with the option to stay & enjoy.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by ifyalways(f): 11:22am On Apr 01, 2008
@poster,You have just 2 options :
park out of the enviroment
Get used to it.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by opokonwa(m): 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2008
@poster
As though you have any choice undecided
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by Pamperme: 1:24pm On Apr 01, 2008
Almighty NEPA took the light and we were left to our fate last nite.  One of the numerous churches on my street held their vigil on Monday night and i couldnt sleep throughout the nite, it was hot and i had to open my windows which made it worse. They shouldnt use loud speakers for vigil for God's sake especially for Monday vigilsembarassed

embarassed
Sentra:

This is a sign that town planning has failed in our major cities. Churches/mosque are not suppose to be located in residential area. If you happen to come across the plan of Lagos for instance, we have areas that have been earmarked commercial/industrial etc
But due to the inefficiency of our town planning officers/ corruption, anything goes these days.
Back to your question, it is not an easy task to move from one house  to another and I doubt if you and your neighbors  can make the worship place go away, however, you may consult with elders in your  area and make them reason with you.They can approach the authorities of the place of worship reduce their level of noise.If this approach does not work(which I very much doubt) you just have to tolerate them till you move .

We tried that but it didnt work because the elders ate kolas and  drank schnapps  cry cry cry
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by SENATORJD(m): 1:30pm On Apr 01, 2008
ifyalways:

@poster,You have just 2 options :
park out of the enviroment
Get used to it.

nope just one option
join them grin
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by lami4life(f): 3:03pm On Apr 01, 2008
I'm a christian and I love church BUT I think we should be respectful of our neighbors and their space and peace. Serving and praising God does not mean we disrupt the lives of those around us.

Yes have service, we'll praise God lively and sometimes it'll get real loud but don't exaggerate with speakers that you can hear from the next country, or have round the clock events at 3am on a weeknight when people are trying to sleep and get rest for work the next day. Part of serving and loving God is treating your neighbor like you'd want them to treat you, and respecting their needs.

But poster I think you have few no options. . . unfortunately there's nuthin you can do.

@ poster

Word!
However, it is not all professed christians who show such lack of consideration for fellow humans. Some still keep things in perspective.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by bebure(m): 3:19pm On Apr 01, 2008
Why is there nothing we can do about this? I'm know a lot of people back in Nigeria who have the same problem. Does the church have more rights than the other residents who also pay rent or own homes. Surely we must be able to do something about this situation in Nigeria (well at least in Port Harcourt).
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by JayFK(m): 3:46pm On Apr 01, 2008
O.P
If you want to do something about it you have a lot of options

Ask them to install sound proofing. If they refuse or call you a demon
1. Arson
2. Buy big speakers, face them towards the church and play music while they are holding services
3. Organize a protest or get signatures from the residents or hold protests while they are holding services
4. Call town planning or something like that
5. More arson.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by smile4kenn(m): 3:50pm On Apr 01, 2008
Loud speakers from religious strutures should be an Offence
Nigerian please amend your constitution
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by Pamperme: 5:10pm On Apr 01, 2008
JayFK:

O.P
If you want to do something about it you have a lot of options

Ask them to install sound proofing. If they refuse or call you a demon
1. Arson
2. Buy big speakers, face them towards the church and play music while they are holding services
3. Organize a protest or get signatures from the residents or hold protests while they are holding services
4. Call town planning or something like that
5. More arson.

i think i like the sound of that. Three different churches surrounded my house plus a mosque in front. Thank you for that advice
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by delegiwa(m): 5:26pm On Apr 01, 2008
I used to stay very close to a church when I was living in Port Harcourt 2 yrs ago.  I really did not have any problems with them during the week as I always come back late in the night when they must have gone and on most sundays because I do go to church.  However I noticed that the church faced their horn speaker right to my bedroom door and it was hell for the whole week the programe lasted.

I complained and shouted and threatened to no avail.  On a particular sunday, I brought out my sound system and faced all 4 speakers toward the church and started my NAIJA SOUNDS for more than 3 hours on my generator.  Only then did the church member come to my house to plead that I turn it down a little bit so they can start their sunday worship.  That was my opportunity and I used it wisely.  I extracted a serious commitment from them never to face their horn speaker towards my flat again and to generally reduce the noise.  We shook hands and they even prayed for me and invited to the grand finale of their programme.

The gist is that if we have not shown them how hurt we are, they may not notice.  Once in awhile you just have be a mad man to get the message across.
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by topkin(m): 6:42pm On Apr 01, 2008
If you cant beat them join them grin jst kiddin The only way out of such situation is to move out otf that area,
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by vislabraye(m): 6:52pm On Apr 01, 2008
No one to blame, except the town planners. In lagos particularly, people are desperately buying lands and building houses on a daily basis. There has to be a strictly residential area. But at the moment, u've got to endure where u are
Re: Noisy Places Of Worship by dee02(m): 8:01pm On Apr 01, 2008
Well it is disgraceful

We Nigerians just take religious practises to the extreme, it is now a battle of which religion is the loudest!

Any one noticed the way churches and Mosques are springing up all over, they starting to compete with Banks?!

Public nuisance and lack of respect for public serenity!

Lock up them bloodclatt, TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Difference Between Hallelujah And Halleluyah / Why Christians Should Not Fall For The Propaganda That Says They Shouldn't Hate / Are Pastors Supposed To Be Celebrities?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.