Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,664 members, 7,827,436 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk (15224 Views)

Ghastly Accident Along Jos-bauchi Road - Warning Graphic Photos / Introduction Letter To UK Embassy / Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by LondonCool(m): 7:27pm On Mar 31, 2008
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by Akolawole(m): 7:38pm On Mar 31, 2008
@LC

Why did you desert our thread?
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by TOYOSI20(f): 9:54pm On Mar 31, 2008
@ Poster,

Eyah, too, bad embarassed
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by LondonCool(m): 12:52am On Apr 01, 2008
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by Shinatu: 8:29am On Apr 01, 2008
@Londoncool

I have had cause to check various airline conditions for pregnant passengers, I have never come across this law of being accompanied by a Doctor from week 30 of your pregnancy, what is required is a Doctor's reports stating that you have had a stable pregnancy and that you are fit to travel.

Considering how much it takes to make this trip, I wonder if one cannot get good medical care in a good Nigerian Hospital with that money.

I think what happens is that most women going to the U.k are actually stopping over on their way to the U.S.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by travelcare: 12:03pm On Apr 01, 2008
@shinatu

I quite agree with shinatu on this issue. But I believe its not that there are no better hospitals or sound medical care here in Nigeria but the fact is that most of them are trying to seek UK citizenship by birth for their children.

1 Like

Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by VOR(m): 12:57pm On Apr 01, 2008
@Travelcare,

Since 1983 being born in the UK no longer makes one an automatic
UK national.

My guess is that most of these women want to give birth in the UK because
of the perceived better health care in the UK and because in more case than
not they will not be asked for payment.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by coolier(f): 1:23pm On Apr 01, 2008
This is a true story.

A friend's junior sister was in UK last year to deliever her baby. After her delivery, the hospital asked her to produce her passport or any form of identification which I would say myself is very unusual. They needed to see this before she is discharged with the baby. Trust Nigerians they first of all made up a story about the passport being with the uncle, then they said its kept in a bank for security. They expected the staff of the hospital to take their story hook line and sinker.

Unknown to them the hospital has called Social Security on the day they were to be discharged to come and pick up the baby. It was only only when they realised this that they ran home and produced the passport which has a visitor's visa. They ended up with a bill of £1,800. They had to run helter skelter to be a ble to pay the hospital bill before the baby was released to them.

So be warned, just in case you intend to come and have that baby in UK.

2 Likes

Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by LondonCool(m): 5:23pm On Apr 01, 2008
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by Biabeke(f): 6:29pm On Apr 01, 2008
Londoncool,I want to take my time to thank you for your posting concerning nigerians going abroad to give birth.This trend is seen not only in the UK but also in the states.One thing this people don't know is that they put theirself,the unborn baby and their host in danger with the authorities.Here in the states the government does not joke with this because all these people are cheaating the citizens because they are the one to pay mediaid indirectly through tax. The sad part of it is that alot of them will think you don't want them to be blessed according to the way they put it in naija.I just hope they will learn to do things the right way.

1 Like

Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by LondonCool(m): 7:28pm On Apr 01, 2008
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by Akolawole(m): 9:23pm On Apr 01, 2008
travelcare:

@shinatu

I quite agree with shinatu on this issue. But I believe its not that there are no better hospitals or sound medical care here in Nigeria but the fact is that most of them are trying to seek UK citizenship by birth for their children.

Thanks VOR for your clarification.

A supposed Visa agent for that matter cry

LondonCool:

It was for "security reasons" grin/ conflict of interest

I do understand but na just username you dey use now.

We need you on that thread. Trust me.

Are you still on that email and telephone number?
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by eniyan(m): 9:40pm On Apr 01, 2008
I wish Yar'dua and his administration could see this thread and hence make Nigeria a better place to dwell in. So many Nigerians risking their lives.

A few years ago, the issue was about young Nigerian children thrown on planes to UK to live with people who maltreat them. Nowadays it is heavily pregnant wives boarding planes to UK/USA to deliver babies due to various reasons ranging from lack of better health care in Nigeria to citizenship status sad cry

Nigeria has Oil! Nigeria has money! But where does this money go Sometimes I begin to wonder what the Yar'dua administration has done so far, or maybe I have not been reading my nigerian newspapers accurately. sad

God help and bless Nigeria!
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by Shinatu: 10:27am On Apr 02, 2008
@londoncool.

I used the term' I think' in my statement because it is my own reasoning and it may be wrong.
The catch about the U.S is that your child gets immediate citizenship, so many women may actually prefer to
go there.

If Virgin Atlantic requires that a Doctor accompanies a pregnant woman once she is over 30weeks, it must be a very recent thing, maybe this year or they did not tell me the truth when I called to make enquiries sometimes last year.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by EloSela(f): 11:32am On Apr 02, 2008
coolier:

This is a true story.

A friend's junior sister was in UK last year to deliever her baby. After her delivery, the hospital asked her to produce her passport or any form of identification which I would say myself is very unusual. They needed to see this before she is discharged with the baby. Trust Nigerians they first of all made up a story about the passport being with the uncle, then they said its kept in a bank for security. They expected the staff of the hospital to take their story hook line and sinker.

Unknown to them the hospital has called Social Security on the day they were to be discharged to come and pick up the baby. It was only only when they realised this that they ran home and produced the passport which has a visitor's visa. They ended up with a bill of £1,800. They had to run helter skelter to be a ble to pay the hospital bill before the baby was released to them.

So be warned, just in case you intend to come and have that baby in UK.

Wow that is cold them being prepare to hand the baby over to Social Services .

My sister who is a Senior Midwife says that all non-British citizens are required to show their passports after giving birth.

If payment can not be made there and then they must make sure they settle the bill before they leave the UK. All passports details are then passed onto Immigration and checks are done before you go through the gates to the departure lounge.

A person found to be trying to abscond without having settled their bill are then deemed to be in breach of their visa and banned from entering the UK again.

I would imagine that Nigerians who come here to give birth must be of the elite class and have money to pay and so I would also deduce from that they are coming here for the healthcare provided because one does not gain citizenship by birth anymore. We all know that healthcare is not up to par in Nigeria…lets not front!

If anyone wants non-Nigerian citizenship for their child then they should go to America but they are even stricter and let’s not even talk about the bill! One of my friends was refused entry into the United States when she was only 6 months pregnant but they let her into the UK where she gave birth and got away without paying but she was lucky.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by Blackcat(f): 11:40am On Apr 02, 2008
his_grace:

Pregnant Nigeria women fok around once they have their babies - i have proof and evidence - it is very kneopmatic and veraciously harangued.

Why are you insulting people's wives and mothers?
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by Blackcat(f): 11:45am On Apr 02, 2008
EloSela:

We all know that healthcare is not up to par in Nigeria…lets not front!

Healthcare in Nigeria is "up to par" depends on where you go and how much you can spend.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by Blackcat(f): 12:05pm On Apr 02, 2008
his_grace:

People travelling to have their babies out of Nigeria has nothing to do with the state of the country - don't you know that it is now a status symbol to say you have a child who was born outside Nigeria? Dont you know? 

Very true
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by coolier(f): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2008
EloSela:

Wow that is cold them being prepare to hand the baby over to Social Services .

My sister who is a Senior Midwife says that all non-British citizens are required to show their passports after giving birth.

If payment can not be made there and then they must make sure they settle the bill before they leave the UK. All passports details are then passed onto Immigration and checks are done before you go through the gates to the departure lounge.

A person found to be trying to abscond without having settled their bill are then deemed to be in breach of their visa and banned from entering the UK again.

I would imagine that Nigerians who come here to give birth must be of the elite class and have money to pay and so I would also deduce from that they are coming here for the healthcare provided because one does not gain citizenship by birth anymore. We all know that healthcare is not up to par in Nigeria…lets not front!

If anyone wants non-Nigerian citizenship for their child then they should go to America but they are even stricter and let’s not even talk about the bill! One of my friends was refused entry into the United States when she was only 6 months pregnant but they let her into the UK where she gave birth and got away without paying but she was lucky.

Passing all passport details to immigration, Nigerians are soooooo smart, in a situation like that they would send their passports home ahead of them and boldly leave UK with the baby with travelling documents. These people are "mumu".
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by EloSela(f): 1:03pm On Apr 02, 2008
M'dear it is not up to par if getting decent healthcare is dependent on how much you earn, abi the poor man no be human being again?

Besides those who can afford to fly to the Uk to give birth should also be able to afford to pay for decent healthcare at home. Why come all the way to the Uk to give birth when your child will not even be classed as a citizen?

Do you know how many mother's die giving birth in Nigeria?

Blackcat:

Healthcare in Nigeria is "up to par" depends on where you go and how much you can spend.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by EloSela(f): 1:16pm On Apr 02, 2008
coolier:

Passing all passport details to immigration, Nigerians are soooooo smart, in a situation like that they would send their passports home ahead of them and boldly leave UK with the baby with travelling documents. These people are "mumu".

You are aware that they take DNA samples now of everyone travelling into the UK?

I also don't think it is feasible for anyone to leave the UK without a valid passport. If they can leave with just travelling documents then will these documents say that they gained entry into the UK legally?

Won't they still need to use the same passport that they sent ahead, again to travel?

Even if they chose to now go to the US on the same passport that will also be difficult because I heard that the UK and US embassies share information.

Mumu, I think not. The only Mumus are the Naija who think that they can get away with not paying the bill.

Sorry, I pay too much tax to condone such nonsense!
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 04, 2008
@elosela

truly u know nothing

you can leave the UK without your passport, u just declare that the passport is missing and they give u these documents to travel with
it is feasible and it has been for a long time

your passport can later be stamped by immigration

Its because of this reason that BDC does not trust passport stamps as evidence of arrival rather they ask for boarding passes
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by EloSela(f): 10:57am On Apr 05, 2008
salsera:

@elosela

truly u know nothing

you can leave the UK without your passport, u just declare that the passport is missing and they give u these documents to travel with
it is feasible and it has been for a long time

your passport can later be stamped by immigration

Its because of this reason that BDC does not trust passport stamps as evidence of arrival rather they ask for boarding passes

You don't know anything.

As I said before in my previous post in, case you missed it;

If they can leave with just traveling documents then will these documents say that they gained entry into the UK legally?

Won't they still need to use the same passport that they sent ahead, again to travel?

Furthermore, we are in the technology age in case you missed it. All passport information of all visitors to the UK is stored electronically. I am sure that this same information will be used somewhat to produce documents to leave the the country or they should contain information that matches a passport already in the system.

So claims that one has lost their passport really will not get them off paying the NHS bill. Unless you leave the country under a false name. cool

Why go through all that wahala anyway? If you don't have money to pay then just stay at home in Nigeria and give birth there since the hospitals are up to par. grin
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by dnative(m): 11:05am On Apr 05, 2008
EloSela:

You are aware that they take DNA samples now of everyone travelling into the UK?

Can you clarify this. I am aware that fingerprint information is now taken from all applicants. but DNA?, i don't think this is the case.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by English1(f): 11:47am On Apr 05, 2008
DNA samples are not taken from visitors to the UK.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by EloSela(f): 5:45pm On Apr 05, 2008
dnative:

Can you clarify this. I am aware that fingerprint information is now taken from all applicants. but DNA?, i don't think this is the case.

DNA fingerprinting also known as DNA typing or genetic fingerprinting, is a method for identifying individuals by the particular structure of their DNA. It gained its name because the structure of the DNA of each person is different, and hence, just as each of us is unique with respect to the pattern of our fingerprints, so we can be identified from our DNA

English1:

DNA samples are not taken from visitors to the UK.

Yes they are, if we are talking about fingerprinting, which, I believe is a form of DNA.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6936139.stm
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by dnative(m): 6:05pm On Apr 05, 2008
Let's not play on words here. The phrase 'DNA fingerprinting' is not the same as the fingerprinting used in the context of taking print samples made by our physical fingers.

DNA sample is a genetic attribute that is seperate from the fingerprints of an individual. This would explain why a DNA sample is taken seperately from a fingerprint - usually from a saliva swab or other body fluids.

The word DNA and fingerprinting are used together in a complementary and associative phrase 'DNA fingerprinting' because taking fingerprints have been the traditional way of uniquely identifying an individual until DNA proves to offer better non-repudation in this respect. Think of it, when a DNA sample is to be taken, fingerprint is rarely what is in mind, otherwise there would be no talk of a separate DNA database in the UK now when there is already a fingerprint database.

Back to the UK government and foreign visa applicants i believe what is being taken is fingerprints as in physical print samples rather than DNA samples. Period.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by EloSela(f): 7:01pm On Apr 05, 2008
dnative:

Let's not play on words here. The phrase 'DNA fingerprinting' is not the same as the fingerprinting used in the context of taking print samples made by our physical fingers.

DNA sample is a genetic attribute that is seperate from the fingerprints of an individual. This would explain why a DNA sample is taken seperately from a fingerprint - usually from a saliva swab or other body fluids.

The word DNA and fingerprinting are used together in a complementary and associative phrase 'DNA fingerprinting' because taking fingerprints have been the traditional way of uniquely identifying an individual until DNA proves to offer better non-repudation in this respect. Think of it, when a DNA sample is to be taken, fingerprint is rarely what is in mind, otherwise there would be no talk of a separate DNA database in the UK now when there is already a fingerprint database.

Back to the UK government and foreign visa applicants i believe what is being taken is fingerprints as in physical print samples rather than DNA samples. Period.

When I initially used the word DNA, I meant fingerprinting as I believed that it was a form of DNA. Science is not my forte and so if I used the wrong term describe what I was on about then so be it.

My main point was that there is a procedure in place to uniquely identify visitors to the UK and and so it is not so easy for people to travel on fake passports anymore.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by dnative(m): 7:58pm On Apr 05, 2008
I usually try as much as possible to avoid a confrontational approach which is why I sought clarification in the first instance. It would have suffice to have simply clarified what you meant in the first instance as well as especially when science is not your domain. But when your initial reaction was to further defend a flawed interpretation, my thinking was that the correction need to be made - and purely for informative purposes alone.

I did presumed I initially understood what you meant to convey - just wanted to clarify if this was otherwise. No need we further expand upon trivialities.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by bigbumper(f): 8:37pm On Apr 05, 2008
Yawa don gas o

Things are hotting up in UK at the moment. It is no longer easy to get travelling documents anymore, and you have to give your fingerprints to these guys that usually check ones passport before one reaches the check-in desk, despite the fact that it is only supposed to be for US bound travellers only.

Not only do some women use the NHS to give birth, some brave ones also want to use it as a springboard to get a council flat, and would give birth then claim to have no roof over their head. But the midwives would tell them that social services can only accommodate the baby, not the mother.
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by dnative(m): 9:03pm On Apr 05, 2008
@LondonCool

Would an execption normally be made in a scenario where a holder of a visitors visa deliberately book a childbirth appointment with a private hospital, pays all the fees beforehand and embark upon the trip to the uk with the intention of actually giving birth there and at no expense to NHS or other public funds?
Re: Warning: Don't Send Your Pregnant Wife To Uk by EloSela(f): 9:24pm On Apr 05, 2008
dnative:

I usually try as much as possible to avoid a confrontational approach which is why I sought clarification in the first instance. It would have suffice to have simply clarified what you meant in the first instance as well as especially when science is not your domain. But when your initial reaction was to further defend a flawed interpretation, my thinking was that the correction need to be made - and purely for informative purposes alone.

I did presumed I initially understood what you meant to convey - just wanted to clarify if this was otherwise. No need we further expand upon trivialities.

Dnative it would not have sufficed because up until you explained the concept of DNA, I was still under the impression that a fingerprint also constituted to a sample. Now if you knew what I meant initially then maybe you should have just clarified the differences instead of asking the question. Don't you think?

But yeah you're right, there is no need to discuss this further.

Cheerio!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Read This Before Planning To Relocate To Canada / Petrol Tanker And Car On Fire On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photos) / Nigeria Government Deports 414 Illegal Immigrants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.