Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,470 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491198 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:48am On Oct 27, 2014
Pls how can Gasolin [Petrol] Water Pump be used to pump water from a well? The type of the water pump is the one normally used to pump water from river. Any idea from members of the house please.

You can view the link below to see a similar pics of the pump

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21897.jpg

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 11:03am On Oct 27, 2014
Ttalk:

Yes i quite agree with you that large amount of catfish consumed in Abuja is being imported from, south, i.e., Lagos, Ibadan, Ogbomosho etc.
Does that not explained my fear that catfish business is less profitable in the north?
Or do we agree that there are limited fish farmers in and around abuja? As well as limited knowledge to manipulate production to maximise profit?
Someone once told me dat Abuja consume about 50million Naria worth of fish weekly. I think that explain y fish has to be imported from the south, the same thing applies to my location Makurdi, Benue state, I know of a woman who usually buy a truck load of fish from Ibadan every week. The farmers in abuja nd environs can't meet up with d demand 4 fish, hence dre is need 4 importation locally.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:16am On Oct 27, 2014
Tbagwell1:

Someone once told me dat Abuja consume about 50million Naria worth of fish weekly. I think that explain y fish has to be imported from the south, the same thing applies to my location Makurdi, Benue state, I know of a woman who usually buy a truck load of fish from Ibadan every week. The farmers in abuja nd environs can't meet up with d demand 4 fish, hence dre is need 4 importation locally.

That means catfish production will be profitable in Abuja with the right management as Oga Robonski pointed out irrespective of the high cost of production, right?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Amisec: 6:17pm On Oct 27, 2014
Please oh, how much is the cost of a kilo of cat fish in Lagos area?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by McIrx: 2:02am On Oct 28, 2014
Finally,I made it here!
Been a long read from page 0.
To all the peeps who've contributed and are still contributing to keeping the sanity in here,e se gan-an o.Thanks for sharing.
#TheLearningContinues
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 3:48am On Oct 28, 2014
pls oooo every one in d house av been calling Mr Micky fish about d pond issue pls av been calling him may be he's busy well am in need of pond but no reply pls anyone that av for rentage should pls dial my number 08065640627 or 08117397680.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 7:59am On Oct 28, 2014
Thks bro Micky fish for answering my request I duely appreciate it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 9:28pm On Oct 28, 2014
Tbagwell1:

True boss
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:46pm On Oct 28, 2014
Amisec:
Please oh, how much is the cost of a kilo of cat fish in Lagos area?

depends on locality and bargaining power #450,#480

www.agricnetwork.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sutsillac(m): 6:41am On Oct 29, 2014
Ttalk:
Pls how can Gasolin [Petrol] Water Pump be used to pump water from a well? Unable to upload the pics. The type of the water pump is the one normally used to pump water from river. Any idea from members of the house please.

If u can't install it urself, my advice is to get a good plumber to Install it for u. But my main concern is If the well will be able to supply ur water needs efficiently..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 8:45am On Oct 29, 2014
Sutsillac:

If u can't install it urself, my advice is to get a good plumber to Install it for u. But my main concern is If the well will be able to supply ur water needs efficiently..

Thank you bros, I intend using the well to "test run" and conduct practical on what i have learned so far, and possibly for hatchery.

I suspect i need to fixed FOOT VALVE to the pumping machine for it to pump. I will fixed by weekend and post the result.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by talk2docee: 5:49pm On Oct 29, 2014
Medium, table size stock and smoking available for sale.... Interested? Ring me on 08037288376......
Feel free to call anytime.... Thanks!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omode2(m): 6:34pm On Oct 29, 2014
Ttalk:
Pls how can Gasolin [Petrol] Water Pump be used to pump water from a well? The type of the water pump is the one normally used to pump water from river. Any idea from members of the house please.

You can view the link below to see a similar pics of the pump

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_21897.jpg
water pump is not ideal for well because of d dept of d well it takes time for it to pump out water and u spend more buying d rubber hose. Why not go for submersible pumping machine wc is less than twenty thousand.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Amisec: 7:20pm On Oct 29, 2014
robonski15:

depends on locality and bargaining power #450,#480

www.agricnetwork.com

Thank you sir.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:13am On Oct 30, 2014
omode2:
water pump is not ideal for well because of d dept of d well it takes time for it to pump out water and u spend more buying d rubber hose. Why not go for submersible pumping machine wc is less than twenty thousand.

Thank for your advice, i have abandoned the pump for sometimes and i think it could still be useful. Besides i only want to use that as backup when i eventually start
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 3:07pm On Oct 30, 2014
Pls Mr Ab1x and other concerned nlers, i just come across one of Mr Ab1x old post in another topic, kindly explain what you mean by this statement please:

" It is important to note that rearing fishes in concrete pond is zero unlike in the earthen pond which is times two of your investment."

Does it mean that rearing fish in concrete pond will not yield profit if the management and feeding is right?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 3:18pm On Oct 30, 2014
Ttalk:
Pls Mr Ab1x and other concerned nlers, i just come across one of Mr Ab1x old post in another topic, kindly explain what you mean by this statement please:

" It is important to note that rearing fishes in concrete pond is zero unlike in the earthen pond which is times two of your investment."

Does it mean that rearing fish in concrete pond will not yield profit if the management and feeding is right?

With due respect to people that make use of concrete pond, both will yield profit. However, one will do better than the other. Aside that, fish tend to do well in a natural environment.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omode2(m): 3:51pm On Oct 30, 2014
ab1x:

With due respect to people that make use of concrete pond, both will yield profit. However, one will do better than the other. Aside that, fish tend to do well in a natural environment.
in addition, you can't compare the growth of fishes in an earthen system wt water flowing in and out wt a concrete pond wt stagnant water.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by weightofglory: 4:58pm On Oct 30, 2014
robonski15:

True boss

@robonski15

hello sir. this is my first post on nairaland but i hv been following this forum since january. pls can you kindly send your phone number to my email address awasue2@gmail.com pls i will love to have a chat with you. cheers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 7:24pm On Oct 30, 2014
omode2:
in addition, you can't compare the growth of fishes in an earthen system wt water flowing in and out wt a concrete pond wt stagnant water.
Yes. True! The growth rate of fish in earthen pond can't be compare to that of concrete. But In all, 'management' is the key word. You cannot overstock an earthen pond and still expect the same result, also if you manage your concrete pond well you are going to have a bumper harvest. Plus feeding right. Like I do tell people, fish business is garbage in garbage out. It is your input that will determine your output. Fish don't want to hear I'm broke today but next week i will continue feeding you. That's why farmer need to check their pocket and know the capacity of fish they can take.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pumppie: 10:51am On Oct 31, 2014
Whether earthen or concrete, both will do well. The key is management! Profitability however should be measured in terms of expenses, duration and outcome. While the concrete pond system might be expensive to run due to various overhead costs (constant water change, fuelling etc.), it generally produces quick results say between 3months to 4months. (Unlike earthen ponds). Some operators of earthen ponds hide under the guise that fishes are in there natural environment so they usually do little in terms of feeding, medication etc. Hence, the cause of poor harvest over a longer period. I have been practicing fish farming for over 12 years now and I can authoritatively tell you that I TOTALLY DISAGREE with the FACE statement that fishes in earthen ponds perform better. Performance can only be achieved WHEN and IF all measures are put in place!! SHIKENNA!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Etranshub(m): 7:35pm On Oct 31, 2014
[Seconded,.....i have both concrete and earthen large commercial sizes and i can tell you that they both have their advantages n disadvantages but profitability is the same which solely depends on management.quote author=pumppie post=27604988]Whether earthen or concrete, both will do well. The key is management! Profitability however should be measured in terms of expenses, duration and outcome. While the concrete pond system might be expensive to run due to various overhead costs (constant water change, fuelling etc.), it generally produces quick results say between 3months to 4months. (Unlike earthen ponds). Some operators of earthen ponds hide under the guise that fishes are in there natural environment so they usually do little in terms of feeding, medication etc. Hence, the cause of poor harvest over a longer period. I have been practicing fish farming for over 12 years now and I can authoritatively tell you that I TOTALLY DISAGREE with the FACE statement that fishes in earthen ponds perform better. Performance can only be achieved WHEN and IF all measures are put in place!! SHIKENNA![/quote]

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by komakan(m): 8:30am On Nov 02, 2014
This is why if u are expecting to havest 2000 pieces of fishes in an eathen pond at d end of d day. I will advice u stock between 2500 to 3000 pieces. And for mortality record in an earthen pond to my observation whenever u see like two floating dead fishes expect more than two sinking dead ones.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:31pm On Nov 02, 2014
pumppie:
Whether earthen or concrete, both will do well. The key is management! Profitability however should be measured in terms of expenses, duration and outcome. While the concrete pond system might be expensive to run due to various overhead costs (constant water change, fuelling etc.), it generally produces quick results say between 3months to 4months. (Unlike earthen ponds). Some operators of earthen ponds hide under the guise that fishes are in there natural environment so they usually do little in terms of feeding, medication etc. Hence, the cause of poor harvest over a longer period. I have been practicing fish farming for over 12 years now and I can authoritatively tell you that I TOTALLY DISAGREE with the FACE statement that fishes in earthen ponds perform better. Performance can only be achieved WHEN and IF all measures are put in place!! SHIKENNA!

Well Said!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abidecx: 1:21pm On Nov 03, 2014
@robonski15 this is abidec sir pls I need a good explanation on this business the level of water to use for the raising of the fish in a 3000litters of tank wen to change the water and how many fish can we raise in 3000litters which feed is the best
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jefips: 7:54am On Nov 04, 2014
I want to start up a fish farm with 7ft pond.how do I go about it.and what advice do you have.and what is the best fish to farm and what are the dos n donts.
Thank you very much your contribution will be much appreciated
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jefips: 8:12am On Nov 04, 2014
I want to start up a fish farm with 7ft by 7ft n 4ft deep pond. In my house. How many fishes can that occupy and what is the best fish to farm and what advice do you have for me as per their feeding.changing of water and n medication if there is any

Thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abidecx: 9:07am On Nov 04, 2014
@robonski15 pls help is needed I am a new farmer I have a 3000litters of tank to make use of and how many fish can it raise and how many times can I change the water and what kind of feed can I use thanks Bros
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Bishiie(m): 12:42pm On Nov 04, 2014
Are you a poultry farmer, do you have cockerel that are not too mature for sale? Plz info asap call or text 07066440658.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:01pm On Nov 04, 2014
abidecx:
@robonski15 pls help is needed I am a new farmer I have a 3000litters of tank to make use of and how many fish can it raise and how many times can I change the water and what kind of feed can I use thanks Bros

You can raise 300- 350 fish to maturity.. changing of water depends on how quickly it gets dirty, but as a standard change every three days.. you can use multi feed, zeigler.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abidecx: 2:24pm On Nov 04, 2014
@robonski15 thanks sir the water level where will it reach sir also pls I will love to learn more from u here is my email pls gt back to me aola7855 @gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abidecx: 3:51pm On Nov 04, 2014
@Robonski15 I don't mind if u can put me through this business that fact is I just finish my nysc october and I don't want to just sit at home that why and I have passion for the business too pls sir I need ur help in this pls my email is aola7855@gmail.com pls gv me the guide Sir I don't mind to come to u and learn pls sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.