Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,651 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1494774 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kniceport1: 4:23pm On Dec 21, 2014
Good day all,i have followed this trend for very long time,i do appreciate all that contribute and impact knowledge to all in the house.
Please am trying to kick start my fish farm this week,intending to use the white toll tanks of 1000 litres.Kindly advice the number to stock at the stages per toll tank;

1) fingerlings
2) juvenile
3)melange
4)table size

I will appreciate all your advise and assistance.God bless you all
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 10:43pm On Dec 21, 2014
kniceport1:
Good day all,i have followed this trend for very long time,i do appreciate all that contribute and impact knowledge to all in the house.
Please am trying to kick start my fish farm this week,intending to use the white toll tanks of 1000 litres.Kindly advice the number to stock at the stages per toll tank;

1) fingerlings
2) juvenile
3)melange
4)table size

I will appreciate all your advise and assistance.God bless you all

Fingerlings, as many as 1000+
Juveniles: abt 700
Melange : 250
Full grown adults : 100
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 5:16am On Dec 22, 2014
pictures included post some pictures of d plastic pond and it's also advisable to use juveniles like 500-800 pieces of juveniles. happy fish farming.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jam04(m): 1:53pm On Dec 22, 2014
wow!!! back again to this thread.....let me read first grin
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jam04(m): 1:55pm On Dec 22, 2014
Belexy:

Reason why u dreamt abt brewery waste was bcoz u were talking about it earlier in d day. I dont think theres anything divine about dat.
YES, brewery dry waste can be incorporated into fish feed. People use it.

MR BELEXY!!! dry brewery waste to feed fish? is it to cut down cost abi wetin? im sure you are a fan of blood meal too to feed fishes..right?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jam04(m): 1:59pm On Dec 22, 2014
Chukky77:
Hello house. ive been following this thread for sometime now. i am ready to setup my business but my problem is land. please does anyone have good land in lagos i can lease for an initial one or two years with good security and water and electrified or at least can be easily electrified. Please friends i need suggestions to help me get this started. Counting on your help. Thanks. Peter

you forgot to mention another important criteria..how accessible is it to the main road?good,bad or far
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaydee316(m): 2:57pm On Dec 22, 2014
Please house, am in need of a fish pond for rent, any link where I can get one? I ll like to start fish biz in Lagos
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 4:10pm On Dec 22, 2014
jam04:

MR BELEXY!!! dry brewery waste to feed fish? is it to cut down cost abi wetin? im sure you are a fan of blood meal too to feed fishes..right?

I dnt use either of dem but dey are ingredients u can use in ur fish feed sir.

#Do u knw u can also add palm oil sludge to ur feed ingredients?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kniceport1: 7:21pm On Dec 22, 2014
@belexy,thanks alot. the tanks are these white industrial toll tanks.pls with the stock you advised,at what level should i keep the water,the tank is graded 100,200,300 till 1000l.thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kniceport1: 7:24pm On Dec 22, 2014
@johnyessencee,the tank are the industrial white toll tank,i will appreciate more advice,thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by reney(f): 8:15pm On Dec 22, 2014
Johnnyessence:
waoooo @reney u are most welcome here hope fishing course is quite interesting hmmmmmmm love u to share it with us here oooooooooo.

thankzz...nd yeah it'll be quite interesting...i did general science courses in 100l...
av lrnt quite a lot 4rm here...will share dis thread with odas wen i resume.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jam04(m): 8:53pm On Dec 22, 2014
Belexy:

I dnt use either of dem but dey are ingredients u can use in ur fish feed sir.

#Do u knw u can also add palm oil sludge to ur feed ingredients?

They are ingredients but not good for fishes. Doesn't give optimum growth and makes fishes prone to diseases. So don't encourage it. There are better substitutes

By palm oil sludge do you mean the effluent? POME? It contains just 1% oil and over 94% of water oooo..why not use palm oil itself?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2014
@reney u are much welcome it just that yielding to advice is very good. so everyone need to learn hmmm knowledge is d key for success in our business .happy fish farming.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2014
@reney u are much welcome it just that yielding to advice is very good. so everyone need to learn hmmm knowledge is d key for success in our business happy fish farming.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 10:21pm On Dec 22, 2014
@kniceport1 how many tanks I know d one of white industrial tank d bricklayer do use it good too but for that capacity of d tank u can only breed 50-60 juveniles at least to start with hmmmmm.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 10:32pm On Dec 22, 2014
jam04:

They are ingredients but not good for fishes. Doesn't give optimum growth and makes fishes prone to diseases. So don't encourage it. There are better substitutes

By palm oil sludge do you mean the effluent? POME? It contains just 1% oil and over 94% of water oooo..why not use palm oil itself?

Pple av used dem as ingredients with fantastic results. Palm oil is expensive and dats d reason why palm oil sludge is used. 10L in 100kg feed is ideal.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jam04(m): 11:20pm On Dec 22, 2014
Belexy:

Pple av used dem as ingredients with fantastic results. Palm oil is expensive and dats d reason why palm oil sludge is used. 10L in 100kg feed is ideal.

We all have definition of fantastic, so I won't sweat that out with you. Lol..how can a substitute which is 94% water give a fantastic result? Funny. Well for those for want to know..mollases or palm oil is a better substitute to fish oil. They are both cheaper too. Molases is 30naira per litre and 1 litre to 100kg of fish feed is fantastic.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 5:12am On Dec 23, 2014
Belexy:

Fingerlings, as many as 1000+
Juveniles: abt 700
Melange : 250
Full grown adults : 100
it's good idea from belexy but it will be very good if u av 3-4 tanks will be very good for u to be sorting it out hmmmm.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 4:58pm On Dec 23, 2014
Belexy:

Oga Belexy thanks for the knowledge you've been sharing. I beg to disagree with the above quote, 10ltr of palm oil sludge or any liquid substance to 100kg feed will be too much. The feed will be too watery even for the peleting machine.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by prof800(m): 6:53pm On Dec 23, 2014
jaydee316:
Please house, am in need of a fish pond for rent, any link where I can get one? I ll like to start fish biz in Lagos
It depends on your location and the size of pond you want.
There is pond for rent in Ikorodu area if you are interested.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kniceport1: 8:20pm On Dec 23, 2014
Johnnyessence:
@kniceport1 how many tanks I know d one of white industrial tank d bricklayer do use it good too but for that capacity of d tank u can only breed 50-60 juveniles at least to start with hmmmmm.

@johnnyessence,you mean 50-60 juvenile or 500-600 juvenile pls
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kniceport1: 8:21pm On Dec 23, 2014
Johnnyessence:
it's good idea from belexy but it will be very good if u av 3-4 tanks will be very good for u to be sorting it out hmmmm.

am staring up with about ten tanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jam04(m): 9:12pm On Dec 23, 2014
mozek24:

Oga Belexy thanks for the knowledge you've been sharing. I beg to disagree with the above quote, 10ltr of palm oil sludge or any liquid substance to 100kg feed will be too much. The feed will be too watery even for the peleting machine.

Hmmmmm
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 10:54pm On Dec 23, 2014
mozek24:

There are ways to do it.... Wen u request for palm oil sludge, get d one with as little water as possible. SLUDGE.... dats d key word.
I repeat, it has worked fantastically!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 10:55pm On Dec 23, 2014
jam04:

We all have definition of fantastic, so I won't sweat that out with you. Lol..how can a substitute which is 94% water give a fantastic result? Funny. Well for those for want to know..mollases or palm oil is a better substitute to fish oil. They are both cheaper too. Molases is 30naira per litre and 1 litre to 100kg of fish feed is fantastic.

Now u know and u av learnt. Palm oil sludge doesnt av to be full of water if u knw wat to get.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 11:09pm On Dec 23, 2014
kniceport1:
@belexy,thanks alot. the tanks are these white industrial toll tanks.pls with the stock you advised,at what level should i keep the water,the tank is graded 100,200,300 till 1000l.thanks

Feel it up as much as d tank will take wtout it over flowing or d fishes coming out over d edge easily. 1000L tank is small and wont take more dan a maximum of 150 adult fishes.
Instead of buying 10 tanks which are expensive, why not use the money to construct wooden tarpaulin ponds. It will cost u less and u will be able to accommodate more fishes.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jam04(m): 11:17pm On Dec 23, 2014
Belexy:

There are ways to do it.... Wen u request for palm oil sludge, get d one with as little water as possible. SLUDGE.... dats d key word.
I repeat, it has worked fantastically!

I really acknowledge and appreciate the considerable time and effort you put in helping people on the thread. They are immeasurable.
Having said that I will like to point out some disturbing trend i notice. Those who come here to learn rely on whatever info that's shared and most are putting in lots of cash, some even use loan or retirement benefits. in as much as you disseminate info, its pertinent not to give info you aren't sure of because the end is disaster. How can you argue out that sludge can be of useful value to fish feed? Sludge is sludge and it has no other definition. Its like feeding 2months fishes with PKC. The end will be disaster. Do you even know why oil is added to fish feed atall? Which oil processing company will leave its palm oil inside the sludge? NONE unless you own the coy because its a loss, its like saying palm kernel processing coys allows considerable oil inside pkc.
You also saying you can add 10l of sludge to 100kg of feed!!!! Where is that practised? Even the recommend oil which is fish oil, its half a litre to 100kg of feed. even during pelleting,you can not add 2 litre of water not to talk of sludge. Hmmmm

I'm not trying to spoil your show here because you are one of the top contributors on the thread and sincerely, you have put in lots of effort. As you can see, I do not interfere with your show on here as the last time I was here was around 5 months ago.I just mistakenly stumble on the thread again 3 days ago. Cat fish farming has gone from that level you are operating and people are really looking forward to cash out considerable sum after 5 or 6 months. Who will want to raise 2000 pcs of fish and at the end of 5 months get a profit of 100k or less!! What kind of income is that considering the stress, resources and time put in.

We are all learners in an open forum like this but we should be mindful of the kind of suggestion we dole out because some1 savings is involved. Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 7:21am On Dec 24, 2014
jam04:

I really acknowledge and appreciate the considerable time and effort you put in helping people on the thread. They are immeasurable.
Having said that I will like to point out some disturbing trend i notice. Those who come here to learn rely on whatever info that's shared and most are putting in lots of cash, some even use loan or retirement benefits. in as much as you disseminate info, its pertinent not to give info you aren't sure of because the end is disaster. How can you argue out that sludge can be of useful value to fish feed? Sludge is sludge and it has no other definition. Its like feeding 2months fishes with PKC. The end will be disaster. Do you even know why oil is added to fish feed atall? Which oil processing company will leave its palm oil inside the sludge? NONE unless you owe the coy because its a loss, its like saying palm kernel processing coys allows considerable oil inside pkc. You also saying you can add 10l of sludge to 100kg of feed!!!! Where is that practised? Even the recommend oil which is fish oil, its half a litre. even when during pelleting,you can not add 2 litre of water. Hmmmm

I'm not trying to spoil your show here because you are one of the top contributors on the thread and sincerely, you have put in lots of effort. As you can see, I do not interfere with your show on here as the last time I was here was around 5 months ago.I just mistakenly stumble on the thread again 3 days ago. Cat fish farming has gone from that level you are operating and people are really looking forward to cash out considerable sum after 5 or 6 months. Who will want to raise 2000 pcs of fish and at the end of 5 months get a profit of 100k or less!! What kind of income is that considering the stress, resources and time put in.

We are all learners in an open forum like this but we should be mindful of the kind of suggestion we dole out because some1 savings is involved. Thank you

I respect ur contributions too. I av said my piece. Palm oil sludge has some oil in it! U can even get it free or at a ridiculously cheap rate frm local processors. It gives weight and it has been used successfully. If u dnt knw how its used, u can ASK and LEARN and stop sounding like u know it all. Nobody knows it all and innovative ways are springing up all d time. Even the blood meal u condemned has ways of using it and even POULTRY droppings as ingredients in fish feed. ITS ALL ABT MINIMISING UR COST PRICE. I wonder wat LEVEL u assume i am operating on dat u are telling me such.
Nobody said anything abt fingerlings/juveniles here. Do u add maize to fish feed for two month old fishes? Answer is NO if it can be avoided. SO why will someone add palmoil sludge to fish feed for fingerlings/juveniles.
I rest my case and will not respond to comments abt diz palmoil sludge again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 24, 2014
wow. lets stop d argument .
@newbies like us, let us now its isnt advisable . You can test it if u mature in fish farming.
I feel its good to start with floating feeds /commercial feeds. After few harvests, u can now test diff feed combination and know what works for u. My friend/colleague dt uses only commercial feeds stil makes over 100% profit wit every harvest.

Plz i need more info on wooden tarpauline pond.
i will google it for the image right away but anyone wit ready info shld plz assist.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 9:16am On Dec 24, 2014
Please pardon me if i have asked this question b4, can fish ponds be set up in block houses meant for human habitation? I ask this cos we have 2 flats empty in our compound.

Sumone in this thread set up hatchery in a room in his flat, plz do u have fish pond in that flat? is it possible?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mozek24: 11:46am On Dec 24, 2014
mercylicious:
Please pardon me if i have asked this question b4, can fish ponds be set up in block houses meant for human habitation? I ask this cos we have 2 flats empty in our compound.

Sumone in this thread set up hatchery in a room in his flat, plz do u have fish pond in that flat? is it possible?

The answer is yes.

The guy who introduced me into fish in herited his father's 6 rooms "face me I face you" house. He started by setting tiny ponds around the fence, graduated to creating pond at the only available space at the back yard. In January this year he evicted a tenant and converted the room to a pond (about 10 ft by 10ft). In July he evicted another tenant and constructed another pond in the room space. In September he evicted the 3rd tenant and did broilers. He occupies 2 rooms and have a tenant. Do you the that tenant will survive next year in that house?

His reasons:

His tenants pay N2,000 a month and its not regular
2000 *12 = 24,000.

He stocks 1000 table size and sells at about 2kg within 6 months makes about 150,000
150,000 * 2 cycles =N300,000.

According to him he makes about N300,000 for the same space.

I hope that answers your inquiry.

Warning: this is a live scenerio but I won't encourage you to evict your tenants for fish oo.

Merry Christmas all

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 3:36pm On Dec 24, 2014
mercylicious:
wow. lets stop d argument .
@newbies like us, let us now its isnt advisable . You can test it if u mature in fish farming.
I feel its good to start with floating feeds /commercial feeds. After few harvests, u can now test diff feed combination and know what works for u. My friend/colleague dt uses only commercial feeds stil makes over 100% profit wit every harvest.

Plz i need more info on wooden tarpauline pond.
i will google it for the image right away but anyone wit ready info shld plz assist.

Lets chat on whatsapp : 08023000802 if u need help setting up ur wooden tarpaulin ponds.

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.