Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,402 members, 7,853,782 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 12:38 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (131) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1505619 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:19pm On Feb 23, 2015
JuveFarms:

We believe with God impossible is nothing. Doesnt mean we should tempt da Lord our God. Here is our contact: mobile: 08054621673. Whatsapp: 08069150802. We can discuss terms & conditions. Tnx
most fishes can be culture, i will call, even now, i know F & D farms in iyana iba area(dont know if he is till there) ,had work on this breed in tarpaulin & they survived. I guess God gave us wisdom to do exploits; thats y men are visiting moon, cars are flying etc
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:22pm On Feb 23, 2015
Saintugo's number for those interested in benin city is 07037463296
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:40pm On Feb 23, 2015
fzero:

Abeg u don pass that level of visit and check ooo hmmm, na u be Baba o.
GOD ALONE IS BABA, ALL GOOD WISDOM, ALL GOOD KNOWLEDGE & INSIGHT COMES FROM HIM ALONE. There is none better than d other, we lean and sharpen each other sir. I dont accord any that level of respect, that he is all, if i see area of insight/question to come in, i will come in sir & if any(another) had answered, sir i dont think i should just write , we are together, and all contributors are doing great
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by boomzee: 9:16pm On Feb 23, 2015
excelsiorfarm:
GOD ALONE IS BABA, ALL GOOD WISDOM, ALL GOOD KNOWLEDGE & INSIGHT COMES FROM HIM ALONE. There is none better than d other, we lean and sharpen each other sir. I dont accord any that level of respect, that he is all, if i see area of insight/question to come in, i will come in sir & if any(another) had answered, sir i dont think i should just write , we are together, and all contributors are doing great

u re an inspiration in this industry and thanks to robonski for leaving the floor open. u guyz rock...
unlike someppl who feels treatened when ppl re expressing themself freely on their blog or so called grp.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by infotainment(m): 9:58pm On Feb 23, 2015
kengeorge:
Please were can I get tilapia fingerlings?
where is ur location,am located in ilorin
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by noblefarm: 11:06pm On Feb 23, 2015
infotainment:

where is ur location,am located in ilorin

am in Ilorin too, which side are u so we can meet, I need somebody to put me through in fish farming.
08077774003 that's my number. thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 9:41am On Feb 24, 2015
noblefarm:

am in Ilorin too, which side are u so we can meet, I need somebody to put me through in fish farming.
08077774003 that's my number. thanks
first I want to ask u av u get a pond.secondly av u get some feeds to feed them hmmmmm.happy farming.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hisableplc(m): 11:17am On Feb 24, 2015
Belexy:

Increase in price of fish feed is biting everyone. I am also feeling it here. Even the local feed ingredients have increase in prices too.
As farmers, we need to be more united in setting a minimum price of fish per kilo. Farmers should top selling fish for less than N500 per kilo. U aint doing urself any favour and u are spoiling d market for other fish farmers.

I am a big fan of this have started this movement in my environs too we need to come strong together on this issue...
sorry have not been chanced to visit you sir though i av ur contact i will communicate with you soonest.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 12:25pm On Feb 24, 2015
market monopoly... bro, have you heard of the term 'Target Costing' ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by qwantized: 2:49pm On Feb 24, 2015
This is really an eye opener. Am a victim of the sweet coated mouth business men who are only interested in enlarging their pockets. I decided to stay back in Ilesa to start up a fish farm after my nysc and after undergoing the training of course. But practicing it is really quite different from the sugar coated news we heard during training. To cut the story short, I borrowed money and ventured into the business and I've lost over #150k in 10 months. I will like to get in touch with you but right now, I've decided to abandon fish farming for now.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 3:46pm On Feb 24, 2015
by this time price of table size should be going for at least #500 -#600 well for me supplying d hoteliers pay than selling to Iya Elejas abi what do u think here.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:49pm On Feb 24, 2015
qwantized:
This is really an eye opener. Am a victim of the sweet coated mouth business men who are only interested in enlarging their pockets. I decided to stay back in Ilesa to start up a fish farm after my nysc and after undergoing the training of course. But practicing it is really quite different from the sugar coated news we heard during training. To cut the story short, I borrowed money and ventured into the business and I've lost over #150k in 10 months. I will like to get in touch with you but right now, I've decided to abandon fish farming for now.
share details sir, we can all learn, how did u go about yours? 10 months doing what? In future you can reach robonski e.tc, but lets know what really happen
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 4:06pm On Feb 24, 2015
qwantized:
chaiiii it's very painful to hear these first and foremost what really went wrong when u are venturing into fish farming. secondly, which type of feed u used to feed them .thirdly what's d type of fish is it juveniles, post fingerlings or fingerlings. fourthly, which type of pond do u used is it concrete,plastic,taupaulin, wooden and earthen pond .fifthly, how many number of fishes u stock in d first place hmmm.need ur reply to clearify somethings here ooooooo very very important. sorry bro for d loss u can ask ur questions and post d pics of d development of d pond in order for coaches and consultant will answer u sorry bro happy fish farming.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 4:16pm On Feb 24, 2015
exactly bro excelsior av said it all what went wrong in d pond and d fish .fish farming I know is majorly reared for 4-5 months interval.share ur experience here as d corper in d house share ur experience on what happen when u are rearing d fish.happy farming.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by noblefarm: 4:21pm On Feb 24, 2015
Johnnyessence:
first I want to ask u av u get a pond.secondly av u get some feeds to feed them hmmmmm.happy farming.

my Oga I never have pond nor feeds just have land. I cnt just start what I don't know anything about. that's why I ask of Ilorin ppl that are into it. thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by qwantized: 4:25pm On Feb 24, 2015
My most undoing is that I didn't get in contact which various fish farmers and gain valuable knowledge from them before starting. I thought I could actually screw that since my farm is very close to that of my Oga at the top(the dude who taught me fish farming) and I will be getting every experience from him.

Firstly, I constructed an earthen pond of a thousand capacity and I stocked 1500 juvenile which was supplied to me by the said Oga at #25 each (Don't know where he got that breed as he wasn't the one that hatched them).
overstocked? I knew I stocked much but it was with the intention of sorting after 2 months.
The feed I used was Multi feed all through till I changed to local feed after 3months.
I ended up not sorting the fishes as I didn't know it will have any adverse effect on the outcome.
Sadly, during harvest, the fishes which were up or more than 1000 quantitatively ended up weighing 273 kg qualitatively and a kg goes for #450 here..... MORE TO COME
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 4:48pm On Feb 24, 2015
@noble farm u said u av land that's fine and good try and dig two ponds or a pond to start with. before u dig ur pond first of all know d water PH of d place,secondly is d place not far to water it will be good for you to construct 2 ponds so that there will be water flow in d pond this is good in constructing ur pond.happy farming.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by noblefarm: 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2015
Johnnyessence:
@noble farm u said u av land that's fine and good try and dig two ponds or a pond to start with. before u dig ur pond first of all know d water PH of d place,secondly is d place not far to water it will be good for you to construct 2 ponds so that there will be water flow in d pond this is good in constructing ur pond.happy farming.

thanks Oga. pls which pond is best, concrete or earthen?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 5:03pm On Feb 24, 2015
qwantized:
My most undoing is that I didn't get in contact which various fish farmers and gain valuable knowledge from them before starting. I thought I could actually screw that since my farm is very close to that of my Oga at the top(the dude who taught me fish farming) and I will be getting every experience from him.

Firstly, I constructed an earthen pond of a thousand capacity and I stocked 1500 juvenile which was supplied to me by the said Oga at #25 each (Don't know where he got that breed as he wasn't the one that hatched them).
overstocked? I knew I stocked much but it was with the intention of sorting after 2 months.
The feed I used was Multi feed all through till I changed to local feed after 3months.
I ended up not sorting the fishes as I didn't know it will have any adverse effect on the outcome.
Sadly, during harvest, the fishes which were up or more than 1000 quantitatively ended up weighing 273 kg qualitatively and a kg goes for #450 here..... MORE TO COME
u ought to av started 3mm and 4mm feeds before u move to local feeds ooooo at least by that time they will av gain a lot of weight. stopping feeding them at 2mm is dangerous oooo if it's stopping d feeds with them at 4mm will be good and continue feeding them with local feeds will be OK for them .well in all things let's give thanks to God .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 5:17pm On Feb 24, 2015
noblefarm:

thanks Oga. pls which pond is best, concrete or earthen?
to me earthen pond is d best Cos' d catfish is resistant to water environment .they are phytoplanktons that's they are marine dwellers .u will enjoy it when u are using earthen pond Cos' the fish in d earthen will go big if it's been feed properly,good water management is applicable, in fact they are resistant to disease that do occurred in concrete pond. I so much like earthen pond Cos' of d flow of water in pond there's water flow to and fro of pond and this will stop dryness of water in d harmathan season. with this u can stock ur fish in d dry season. and in d rainy season they will be moving fine Cos' of d rain that will falling to them.earthen pond is still more preferable for d freshers in d fish farming Cos' u will learn a lot from it when d fish are growing.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by qwantized: 5:22pm On Feb 24, 2015
I was told it was primarily because I didn't sort and feed them well and then I made preparations and stocked again. This time, I made sure I sorted and all that but the outcome is not much different from the first one.

NOW MY OBSERVATIONS
1) it all begin from the breed of the juvenile stocked. Most Hatchers sort and stock the best shootouts for themselves and sell out the runts to the poor masses. BE VERY CAREFUL WHILE GETTING THE JUVENILE
2) SPACE: Fishes need space for optimum performance. DO NOT OVER STOCK THEM
3) Feed them very well but don't always leave remains of food in the pond. it will dissolve and reduce the oxygen content of the water
4) Make sure you SORT for even growth
5) Always change the water when its dirty.

I have learnt these but am not ready to experiment if for now. I need a break and I will be back later to fish farming (Maybe decades from now(
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by qwantized: 5:25pm On Feb 24, 2015
Johnnyessence:
u ought to av started 3mm and 4mm feeds before u move to local feeds ooooo at least by that time they will av gain a lot of weight. stopping feeding them at 2mm is dangerous oooo if it's stopping d feeds with them at 4mm will be good and continue feeding them with local feeds will be OK for them .well in all things let's give thanks to God .

Master, I didn't change to local feed from 2mm directly. I started with 2mm then to 3mm and later 4mm. I think I even used 6mm before crossing to local feed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 6:29pm On Feb 24, 2015
qwantized:

Master, I didn't change to local feed from 2mm directly. I started with 2mm then to 3mm and later 4mm. I think I even used 6mm before crossing to local feed
I understand u well in d earthen pond there's no form of sorting except doing it in concrete pond.space in earthen pond too is good if u are fresher is good to start with 500 pieces of juveniles. I love d combination of ur feeds oooooooo but overstock of fish in d pond is dangerous.Cos' d fish won't grow well when it's required for them to grow.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 8:07pm On Feb 24, 2015
qwantized:
I was told it was primarily because I didn't sort and feed them well and then I made preparations and stocked again. This time, I made sure I sorted and all that but the outcome is not much different from the first one.

NOW MY OBSERVATIONS
1) it all begin from the breed of the juvenile stocked. Most Hatchers sort and stock the best shootouts for themselves and sell out the runts to the poor masses. BE VERY CAREFUL WHILE GETTING THE JUVENILE
3) Feed them very well but don't always leave remains of food in the pond. it will dissolve and reduce the oxygen content of the water

I have learnt these but am not ready to experiment if for now. I need a break and I will be back later to fish farming (Maybe decades from now(

It's a good thing you have learnt what you were supposed to do from the onset. Why wait any further..
Read up the journal of two youth corpers at www.agricnetwork.com who ran at losses but have resolved in their heart that they must succeed no matter the circumstances. Gather yourself together and get back to business my brother.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:00pm On Feb 24, 2015
robonski15:

It's a good thing you have learnt what you were supposed to do from the onset. Why wait any further..
Read up the journal of two youth corpers at www.agricnetwork.com who ran at losses but have resolved in their heart that they must succeed no matter the circumstances. Gather yourself together and get back to business my brother.
bro if all man run from challenges of any biz, how do such build on experience, it is one thing to know & another to have experience, bro d guy no read your experience that birth this thread? Ask adenuga on his glo, he will tell all his initial challenge many dont know, though i would have written more, d best analysis can come when d bro evaluate d 150k loss, the juvenile is already 37.5k(i hope am correct), how many bags of feeds? At what cost?,let me share a man's experience, after knowing or measuring his fishes to be 500kg, someone came with his scale, measured it & it was barely 280kg, bought at that weight & left

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:22pm On Feb 24, 2015
qwantized:

NOW MY OBSERVATIONS

@qwantized, i will like to say sorry the loss of ur hard earned money. Let me emphazise on ur observation. I have had experience with buyers of Juveniles or fingerlings, the over bargain good seeds. Most times cos of #5naira difference. They end up getting bad seeds & loose their money, but the good part of the loss is; they bought experience with their money. This should serve as a lesson to intending fish farmers. U cant outsmart the masters, give to ceaser wot is ceaser.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by tuneroz(m): 1:51am On Feb 25, 2015
@ ultrazone well said concerning poultry farming. am a new beginner of a poultry farm based on ur advice with a start of 200 chicks.can u help with any more advise concerning me breeding them in an rented apartment..u can reach me vail:- whatsapp +2348023100140, or E-mail :- tunerose@yahoo.com..

Thanks a lot @ ultrazone.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 1:53am On Feb 25, 2015
JuveFarms:

@qwantized, i will like to say sorry the loss of ur hard earned money. Let me emphazise on ur observation. I have had experience with buyers of Juveniles or fingerlings, the over bargain good seeds. Most times cos of #5naira difference. They end up getting bad seeds & loose their money, but the good part of the loss is; they bought experience with their money. This should serve as a lesson to intending fish farmers. U cant outsmart the masters, give to ceaser wot is ceaser.

While you make some sense, I would say too that it takes a useless and wicked master/ceaser to because of 5 Naira sell bad seeds..... nothing wrong in someone wanting a cheaper ways to do his business.
A good business man or master should say NO instead of selling bad seed.

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:43am On Feb 25, 2015
Johnnyessence:
to me earthen pond is d best Cos' d catfish is resistant to water environment .they are phytoplanktons that's they are marine dwellers .u will enjoy it when u are using earthen pond Cos' the fish in d earthen will go big if it's been feed properly,good water management is applicable, in fact they are resistant to disease that do occurred in concrete pond. I so much like earthen pond Cos' of d flow of water in pond there's water flow to and fro of pond and this will stop dryness of water in d harmathan season. with this u can stock ur fish in d dry season. and in d rainy season they will be moving fine Cos' of d rain that will falling to them.earthen pond is still more preferable for d freshers in d fish farming Cos' u will learn a lot from it when d fish are growing.
@Johnnyessence, very well said. Thou concrete pond has its own advantages, like easy sorting, management etc.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gspace1960(m): 9:09am On Feb 25, 2015
fingerlingz marketers needed..........

Gspace hatchery are poised to supply
Fries,Fingerlings,Juveniles and Post juveniles at
an affordable rate within and outside lagos.in
order to ease your burden,for clients within
lagos,we will deliver to your door step at no cost
while there will be a discounted fee for delivery
to clients outside lagos as well as free
consultancy services for clients both within and
outside Lagos because your satisfaction is our
passion.place your order today and you will be
glad you did.you can reach us
on.07060523565,08123411006 or thru
email ........gesemudje@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by mrcreative: 10:35am On Feb 25, 2015
Hi, thanks guys for this insightful thread. I joined Nairaland because of this. I am willing to start a fish farm at home. Would like to know if anyone is currently organising a training on Hatchery. Would expect details. My email is kunlegbolahan@yahoo.com. thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:18pm On Feb 25, 2015
Fhemmmy:

While you make some sense, I would say too that it takes a useless and wicked master/ceaser to because of 5 Naira sell bad seeds..... nothing wrong in someone wanting a cheaper ways to do his business.
A good business man or master should say NO instead of selling bad seed.

In as much as I agree with you, but the truth is if you buy quality you get quality. " soup wey sweet na better money kill am".

www.agricnetwork.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.