Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,401 members, 7,846,693 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1502988 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 9:35pm On Apr 06, 2015
what's your formula to determine its understocked bro ?
robonski15:

The ponds are understocked which is even better.. I will advice you do some proper sorting into sizes to avoid cannibalism. seclude the two bigger ones asap.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 9:42am On Apr 07, 2015
jaz:
what's your formula to determine its understocked bro ?

From the video I watched, 'ABC of catfish farming, they advised the following stocking density;
Earthen pond- 2 fish per metre square
Concrete - 5 fish per meter square

If the pond is measured in feet, stocking density is ;
(20*17*4)/3 multiplied by 5
=2266 fishes

It was multiplied by 5 cos its a concrete pond, u multiply by 2 if its earthen pond.

I guess the lower stocking density of earthen pond ois cos the growth rate is supposed to be higher.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dorofarm: 9:53am On Apr 07, 2015
Thanks.... How many can I stock in each pond to table size.... And I hav done sorting
robonski15:

The ponds are understocked which is even better.. I will advice you do some proper sorting into sizes to avoid cannibalism. seclude the two bigger ones asap.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gregswagzz(m): 10:33am On Apr 07, 2015
Am an aspiring fish farmer,and am based in Benin city pls I want to know pls what chemicals would I use to wash my concrete pond when am done...started working on my ponds yesterday.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by zhukafa(m): 11:36am On Apr 07, 2015
Good morning all, i was thinking that the travelling section and auto section where very educative, not until i started reading the Agriculture section. Kudos to everyone that have contributed to the success of this thread. keep it up. Am really interested in the fish farming, my space is 20ft by 9ft, how many can i stock there. Secondly, i will like if all questions and answers are done here rather than the email stuff, this is how we do it in travelling section. Thanks to all.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:30pm On Apr 07, 2015
jaz:
house, what dimensions of a pond do i need to stock 2000 fingerlings to grow-out ?

A 20ft by 20ft with a depth of 4ft will be ideal.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:33pm On Apr 07, 2015
noblefarm:
guys, am having a big challenge getting a lime to treat my pond, d one I was advised to buy am not sure its d right lime to use cos d producer can't even advise me to use it. others asked me to use salt. pls help needed here o. I want to go and pump out the water tomorrow to make sure no animals there then I'll cover with the net. pls what do I do abt d treatment. d pond has been ready since over a week now but treatment is delaying me from stocking and starting another pond

My bro you can use salt or formalin for treatment
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 5:30pm On Apr 07, 2015
thanks man. but here are the factors considered... stagnant pond, change of pond water by flow through once a week, pond fertilization with manure, constant oxygenation with an aeration pump, target size of 700g in 4 months from hatching... let me know if your dimension still stands.
robonski15:

A 20ft by 20ft with a depth of 4ft will be ideal.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sunzie(m): 6:03pm On Apr 07, 2015
Dear Catfish farmers,
We have fingerlings for sale at affordable price,
We are in Ayobo,Lagos.
You can reach us on 08166546093.
You will be happy doing business with us.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:40pm On Apr 07, 2015
gregswagzz:
Am an aspiring fish farmer,and am based in Benin city pls I want to know pls what chemicals would I use to wash my concrete pond when am done...started working on my ponds yesterday.

U can use Formalin, Malachite green, Iodestiryl and Blagdon.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by noblefarm: 7:50pm On Apr 07, 2015
robonski15:

My bro you can use salt or formalin for treatment

thanks so much, am relieved now

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gregswagzz(m): 11:25pm On Apr 07, 2015
robonski15:

U can use Formalin, Malachite green, Iodestiryl and Blagdon.
u are most resourceful and helpful,am appreciative.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:10am On Apr 08, 2015
Dorofarm:
Thanks.... How many can I stock in each pond to table size.... And I hav done sorting
The amount you stocked is ok to table size. Keep monitoring their growth, change water as at when due.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:14am On Apr 08, 2015
jaz:
thanks man. but here are the factors considered... stagnant pond, change of pond water by flow through once a week, pond fertilization with manure, constant oxygenation with an aeration pump, target size of 700g in 4 months from hatching... let me know if your dimension still stands.
The dimension still stands bro.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:21am On Apr 08, 2015
zhukafa:
Good morning all, i was thinking that the travelling section and auto section where very educative, not until i started reading the Agriculture section. Kudos to everyone that have contributed to the success of this thread. keep it up. Am really interested in the fish farming, my space is 20ft by 9ft, how many can i stock there. Secondly, i will like if all questions and answers are done here rather than the email stuff, this is how we do it in travelling section. Thanks to all.

Hello sir you can stock 1200 fishes comfortablyto table size though you didn't state the depth.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dorofarm: 10:27am On Apr 08, 2015
Thanks
robonski15:

The amount you stocked is ok to table size. Keep monitoring their growth, change water as at when due.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by zhukafa(m): 10:51am On Apr 08, 2015
robonski15:

Hello sir you can stock 1200 fishes comfortablyto table size though you didn't state the depth.

www.agricnetwork.com

for the depth, am looking at 4ft or 5ft depth. which would be better. and also should i divide the pond. because the total size of space is that 20ft by 9ft
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:17am On Apr 08, 2015
zhukafa:

for the depth, am looking at 4ft or 5ft depth. which would be better. and also should i divide the pond. because the total size of space is that 20ft by 9ft

It will be better if you divide the pond for sorting purpose..10ft by 4.5ft depth of 4ft.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:34am On Apr 08, 2015
gregswagzz:
u are most resourceful and helpful,am appreciative.
Uwc.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by zhukafa(m): 11:46am On Apr 08, 2015
robonski15:

It will be better if you divide the pond for sorting purpose..10ft by 4.5ft depth of 4ft.

what of where to start the hatching. can i also hatch there?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 12:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
thanks.
robonski15:

The dimension still stands bro.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donclassfarm: 1:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
please do welcome me
my regards to robinski15
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:35pm On Apr 08, 2015
donclassfarm:
please do welcome me
my regards to robinski15

You are very much welcomed sir smiley
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:36pm On Apr 08, 2015
zhukafa:

what of where to start the hatching. can i also hatch there?

You can't hatch there sir, hatching is a different ball game all together. To hatch you need to have a spawning vat, nursery etc.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:37pm On Apr 08, 2015
jaz:
thanks.
UWC sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donclassfarm: 2:53pm On Apr 08, 2015
i want to thank you so great for the works doing here especially for the young farmers to help solve the unemployment disease in our nation .
I will like you to put me through on the business of catfish
Your last post on the treatment of concrete pond said to use chemicals
1. Formalin
2. Malachite green
3.Lodestiry and
4. Blagdon
Please where do r get it at what price and how to use it
This is the pic of my farm as at last three weeks
Your phone number please the one i have is not going
Thank you all for great job doing once again

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donclassfarm: 3:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
roboski your address is like not going through www.agricnetwork.com
i live in yenagoa bayelsa state. who can i patner with to get a better broodstock for spawning for i would like start from hartshing
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:38pm On Apr 08, 2015
donclassfarm:
i want to thank you so great for the works doing here especially for the young farmers to help solve the unemployment disease in our nation .
I will like you to put me through on the business of catfish
Your last post on the treatment of concrete pond said to use chemicals
1. Formalin
2. Malachite green
3.Lodestiry and
4. Blagdon
Please where do r get it at what price and how to use it
This is the pic of my farm as at last three weeks
Your phone number please the one i have is not going
Thank you all for great job doing once again
You can use one of the aforementioned chemicals. the most available is formalin, malachite green which you can get at agro stores. prices differ from location. we cant see any pix of your farm sir.. you can send me a mail on robonski15@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:49pm On Apr 08, 2015
donclassfarm:
roboski your address is like not going through www.agricnetwork.com
i live in yenagoa bayelsa state. who can i patner with to get a better broodstock for spawning for i would like start from hartshing

U can get brood stock from Daba Nengimoyu Fish Farm... Phone number 08053034448.. cheers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donclassfarm: 5:00pm On Apr 08, 2015
thanks for replying soon sir.... chemical usage for concrete pond and possibly your phone no at www.donclassic700@yahcc.com phone # 08036728501
cheer
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:01am On Apr 09, 2015
akstar01:
pls farmers in the house come to my rescue. I have been in catfish business for a while now but I recently invited a friend to the business. He stocked 800 post fingerlings in an earthen pond but after 2months when we want to sort we met only 50 fingerlings. d place is secured, they are well fed and we did not record any mortality during this period because I expected the dead ones to float. pls experts in the house what is the possible cause? @roboski,excel,abs,n other experts In the house
many reasons,cannibalism,yr post might be small and were fed on by toads,toad only come in at night mostly or resident B4 u introduce yr seeds

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.