Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,679 members, 7,851,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:12 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (169) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1504869 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 2:44am On Jun 28, 2015
Happy sunday to you all.
Mak I start my story
It all started april 12 last year, then I went 2 buy broodstocks from a farm because I needed 2 hatch and all my broodstocks were not ready, so I used it the following day to hatch and it was cool (1st palava). Problem started some few day after the hatching when I started noticing massive death in the fries which I don't experience, I was lik wetin dey happen oo till all my fries go back from were dem dey come. I just locked up. Tho I had fingerlings in my remaining ponds and I was ignorant about using drugs because I don't use it at all.
So I just decided to chill for my broodstock abit since I had some fingerlings at hand, so I continued my operation as normal (2nd palava) even when it was obvious my farm was infected already. It started like film when all fingerlings started dying and the most funniest part but painful was dat I counted abt 10k pieces for a customer to pick the following dayn before the next day all my fish don go meet baba God. Omo my brain almost scattered that a.m, thought like my villa people don get me for this one was on my mind.
So all my dead fishes I gave them to my broodstock (3rd palava), then I washed my pond and vat with salt and water (4th palava). When my broodstocks were ready I started my production back with the mindset that this people can't get me, God pass dem. After my production after 3 days I noticed massive death and it continued like for over a year during which I did over 50 production (some people might not belief but that's the truth) cos I stopped counting when the thing don dey too much.
During this period I turn true born again, I start to dey go church by 6.30 even when sunday school they start 8.30, I no miss digging deep and faith clinic, me wey I like slip I no miss night vigil, me wey I no fit pray 4 long my prayers last more than an hour, d one wey fear me pass was one night I went 2 my farm 2 pray naso one bird make one noise like that omo I leave my bible run commot 4 farm *smile*
During this period it wasn't funny cos I lost a lot, spent a lot. I did new borehole cos I thought my well was the problem, pour all my food away when I got 2 know my artemia was no longer good, went to different farm and observe how they run things, etc mehn I tire till I drained all my cash and started borrowing again
*Mak I cut the story*
My finger don dey pepper me and eyes don dey close, will post about the cause of my problem and how I was able 2 over come but e no easy oo and I belief mere reading alone most people would be able to point out my error then, tho I wasn't a novice when all this occur but when problem pass problem wey come carry problem 4 head, back and hand omo u go humble
I go complete wen i come back from church.
Safe
Mak una pardon my grammar oo
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by boluwajokosegun: 3:03am On Jun 28, 2015
f u hav a farm & u need cash to expand then goodnews.
FG is helping farmers under a registered cooperative call Drean Nation Alliance
It has online platform
Has a member you can acess a small loan of 200k to start with within 4 weeks
First to months is interest free while d next 10 months are 2% interest
So why don't u take d opportunity now
If u use d 200k for 5 months u can return it & collect 500k
U can access it from any where in naija because it is FG powered
Call 08182355047 Now for more info
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 5:24am On Jun 28, 2015
Happy Sunday
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 5:32am On Jun 28, 2015
aquadude15:
Happy sunday to you all.
Mak I start my story
It all started april 12 last year, then I went 2 buy broodstocks from a farm because I needed 2 hatch and all my broodstocks were not ready, so I used it the following day to hatch and it was cool (1st palava). Problem started some few day after the hatching when I started noticing massive death in the fries which I don't experience, I was lik wetin dey happen oo till all my fries go back from were dem dey come. I just locked up. Tho I had fingerlings in my remaining ponds and I was ignorant about using drugs because I don't use it at all.
So I just decided to chill for my broodstock abit since I had some fingerlings at hand, so I continued my operation as normal (2nd palava) even when it was obvious my farm was infected already. It started like film when all fingerlings started dying and the most funniest part but painful was dat I counted abt 10k pieces for a customer to pick the following dayn before the next day all my fish don go meet baba God. Omo my brain almost scattered that a.m, thought like my villa people don get me for this one was on my mind.
So all my dead fishes I gave them to my broodstock (3rd palava), then I washed my pond and vat with salt and water (4th palava). When my broodstocks were ready I started my production back with the mindset that this people can't get me, God pass dem. After my production after 3 days I noticed massive death and it continued like for over a year during which I did over 50 production (some people might not belief but that's the truth) cos I stopped counting when the thing don dey too much.
During this period I turn true born again, I start to dey go church by 6.30 even when sunday school they start 8.30, I no miss digging deep and faith clinic, me wey I like slip I no miss night vigil, me wey I no fit pray 4 long my prayers last more than an hour, d one wey fear me pass was one night I went 2 my farm 2 pray naso one bird make one noise like that omo I leave my bible run commot 4 farm *smile*
During this period it wasn't funny cos I lost a lot, spent a lot. I did new borehole cos I thought my well was the problem, pour all my food away when I got 2 know my artemia was no longer good, went to different farm and observe how they run things, etc mehn I tire till I drained all my cash and started borrowing again
*Mak I cut the story*
My finger don dey pepper me and eyes don dey close, will post about the cause of my problem and how I was able 2 over come but e no easy oo and I belief mere reading alone most people would be able to point out my error then, tho I wasn't a novice when all this occur but when problem pass problem wey come carry problem 4 head, back and hand omo u go humble
Safe

Sorry for ur losses and let me tell u something u are nt d only experience such a things even some are even worst dan urs bt I knw dt wit God everything will normalize itself bck very soon dan wht u can even think of.
to wht u said I believe dt ur pond is seriously infected so u need to disinfect it u can get formaline watch it very well wit it and u can even pump water inside ur pond and pour d formaline inside it for like 3 days and drain d water and put fresh water and also do u use to check ur water ph. dt one is also important.
rest to my oga's
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 8:26am On Jun 28, 2015
aquadude15:
Happy sunday to you all.
Mak I start my story
*Mak I cut the story*
Safe

You are so persistent and thats good smiley
Patiently waiting for the continuation of ur story. I spawned ytday and what im seeing this morning is so heart breaking. cry
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by AdeoyeAdekunle: 10:39am On Jun 28, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Patiently waiting for the continuation of ur story. I spawned ytday and what im seeing this morning is so heart breaking. cry
Persistent is d word in dis fish bizness & d Grace of God. imaging I inject around 10pm yestaday hoping 2 spawn dis morning jus discova d fish is dead, Am jus so down & still tinkin wot could av hapen.......... BT no going back ni ooooo...PLS WHERE CAN I GET BROODSTOK around iyana ipaja - toll gate axis

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 10:57am On Jun 28, 2015
AdeoyeAdekunle:
Persistent is d word in dis fish bizness & d Grace of God. imaging I inject around 10pm yestaday hoping 2 spawn dis morning jus discova d fish is dead, Am jus so down & still tinkin wot could av hapen.......... BT no going back ni ooooo...PLS WHERE CAN I GET BROODSTOK around iyana ipaja - toll gate axis

I feel ur pain bro. It happens! I woke up very early today; checked d eggs i spawned ytday, saw the result and went straight back to bed. I cant kill myself.
Will spawn again during the week if i av time.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 11:01am On Jun 28, 2015
olubankemi:

Top feed is sold for 4000 here in lag while vital is 4300.

Plz kemi, where in Lag do you buy your feed? Can you direct me there or give me their number? Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 28, 2015
JuveFarms:

@mercy, catfish pond water level shouldn't be to high. Catfishes are Nocturnal. The Jump & walk. Seems you have walking catfishes.

The fish later died. I guess cos it sustained wound on the belly while moving on the sand. How would I HV prevented d fish from death after I picked it in the morning?
I regret not eating DT fish wen it jumped out.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 28, 2015
Cleoo:
Hi mercy, the "aqua" you are referring to, is it aquafeed? Aquamax? Aqua Manna? Or Aquaxcel? There are lots of "aqua" in the fish market... Please can u post the bag of the feed ? And also can I Have the contact of the place ur friend bought the feed in Ihiala? Am in Ihiala too.

Aquamax
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 28, 2015
Cleoo:
Hi mercy, the "aqua" you are referring to, is it aquafeed? Aquamax? Aqua Manna? Or Aquaxcel? There are lots of "aqua" in the fish market... Please can u post the bag of the feed ? And also can I Have the contact of the place ur friend bought the feed in Ihiala? Am in Ihiala too.

Aqua feed.
You call call - xxxzxxand ask him to describe the place in ihiala. I've not been to ihiala b4, I only pass. He is my neighbour and colleague and works at ihiala office.
Plz don't quote this post. . reply me if you have seen the phone no so that I can edit and remove the no. Have you started your pond?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Cleoo(f): 2:11pm On Jun 28, 2015
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 28, 2015
Cleoo:
Thanks Mercy, I didn't know that aquafeed is that cheap talk less of being sold in Ihiala.. I will call him.

Sorry, I just checked now, it is aquamax.
Plz delete d phone no from ur quoted post.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Cleoo(f): 2:16pm On Jun 28, 2015
I for say! Cuz I've searched for aquafeed all over Ihiala. But wait o! Aquamax better than Multifeed?? shocked shocked shocked and to think I've been underestimating it... Am planning on switching to top feed next month, but might try aquamax since u've confirmed it's "supper" grin
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jun 28, 2015
@Belexy, where is your farm? I buy close to my farm, sangotedo and igando (after lakowe).

If your farm is not too close to that side will it be OK for you.?

Hmmm, my fifle, I no fit shout, make I never start to narrate, till I see all the drama then I will roll out the episode at once.

Make una dey pray for me sha.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Juliana7: 6:37pm On Jun 28, 2015
@aquadude,i love ur never giving up spirit its inspiring. Oya come finish ur story. We dey wait for u.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 7:47pm On Jun 28, 2015
cross234:

Sorry for ur losses and let me tell u something u are nt d only experience such a things even some are even worst dan urs bt I knw dt wit God everything will normalize itself bck very soon dan wht u can even think of.
to wht u said I believe dt ur pond is seriously infected so u need to disinfect it u can get formaline watch it very well wit it and u can even pump water inside ur pond and pour d formaline inside it for like 3 days and drain d water and put fresh water and also do u use to check ur water ph. dt one is also important.
rest to my oga's

Thanks big bros
You are right sir, my ponds, vats and equipments were all badly infected and I had tio use formalin too fumigate everything in my farm.
No worry boss make I continue my tori, I belief others might benefit from it and if their is any other info the elders of this thread can add to it to enlightment those still having the problem is highly welcome.
Hatching no easy but the money sweet
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 7:50pm On Jun 28, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Thanks sir and so sorry for the outcome of your spawning
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 7:57pm On Jun 28, 2015
AdeoyeAdekunle:
Persistence matters a lot sir. I guess the cause of the death of your broodstock is cos of the stress the fish experience when transporting it or after injecting you kept it in a smal bowl.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 7:58pm On Jun 28, 2015
Juliana7:
@aquadude,i love ur never giving up spirit its inspiring. Oya come finish ur story. We dey wait for u.
Thanks sis, oya come read d continuation.
Do you hatch also
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 8:18pm On Jun 28, 2015
olubankemi:
@Belexy, where is your farm? I buy close to my farm, sangotedo and igando (after lakowe).

If your farm is not too close to that side will it be OK for you.?

Hmmm, my fifle, I no fit shout, make I never start to narrate, till I see all the drama then I will roll out the episode at once.

Make una dey pray for me sha.

Thanks for your prompt response. My farm is at Ikotun - Igando axis. Are we refering to the same Igando? If it is, then its perfect.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 8:46pm On Jun 28, 2015
Good pm to you all
Make una grab una sit, order popcorn and coke sidon jeje and observe the rest tori.
My next post will be on some safety that you can add to you farm practice so as to reduce early fry mortality. Tho farm practice differs but I'm sure I will surely help. Criticism, correction and contribution is allowed. Make all of us gather chop hatching money.

I did a research online to check out the cause of the MASSIVE mortality cos if over a million fries were in my pond it won't take them up to 7days before all of thgem pack up. I got a result that was close to my experience and it was fungi infection. Dunno if any person have experienced such? Its like a white patch on the fish skin and if only one fish is infected in the pond, the rest might get infected within 48 hours and pack up.
So I went to 2 different vet and each of them told me to buy iodasteryl and formalin. I mix d two together and used it. I started hatching again but I still experience the mortality but not as fatal as before.
*Them tell me say artemia dey kill fish, I threw my artemia away
*Them tell me say make I start with 0.2 but e no work 4 me
*i started using drugs for d fries during the first week and mix the drugs 2 their feed but it didn't worked at all
* make I stop here so I no go bore una
But one thing I did was I alway take note of my mistake and improve on all subsequent hatching and observe possible error I'm making, listd and corrected them. During this period I went to different farm, research and I even asked 4 help on this thread.
Everything turn around wen I adopted a method and only one fish survived but I kept the fish and told myself that my next hatching will be better than that and it was so.
I thank baba God say I'm back and better now
Lemme call your attention to the costly errors I made that cost me a lot
* I didn't treat the broodstock that brought the infection to my farm before using it and adding it to my broodstock vat
* I don't disinfect my vat/pond after every successful/unsuccesful spawning, wat I do den is just salt and water
* I gave all dead fishes that were infected to my broodstock to eat (stingy me, I no want wastage)

I guess I will stop here. Any addition, subtraction or question is allowed

Safe

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by royaltymkt: 10:25pm On Jun 28, 2015
[color=#990000][/color]Hey farmers, why do leave your farm produce get spoilt when there are ready markets for it.... You can contact Ayo on 07069023802 or royalty.resources @gmail.com

Royalty Resources
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jun 28, 2015
@Aquadude, waoo so much a lovely and enlightening post. Am happy you also put God in your business and trust Him to help you through.

The truth is with God and the spirit of persistence, you will surely make it. This two you have them.

@Belexy, not the same igando. There is an igando on the island. After Ajah.

The two igando are pretty far apart. So the transportation cost might not be worth it.

How much is top feed and vital feed at your side?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:46am On Jun 29, 2015
AdeoyeAdekunle:

There is a farm at Adura bus stop before kola bust stop where they sell only brood stock, i cant remember the name of the farm but if you ask any bike man they will take you there.. sorry for the death of your brood stock.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:50am On Jun 29, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

My doc it happens, i have lost count on how many times i have spawned and nothing to show for it.. your next one will be positive

www.agricnetwork.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:58am On Jun 29, 2015
mercylicious:

The fish later died. I guess cos it sustained wound on the belly while moving on the sand. How would I HV prevented d fish from death after I picked it in the morning?
I regret not eating DT fish wen it jumped out.

Take heart ma smiley. i remember when i injected a female brood stock for spawning, the next morning i could not find it i almost ran mad because i traveled far to purchase it after much ultimate search i found it still alive but too weak to move. i just gave it out coz i hardly eat catfish sad
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:14am On Jun 29, 2015
aquadude15:

Thanks big bros
You are right sir, my ponds, vats and equipments were all badly infected and I had tio use formalin too fumigate everything in my farm.
No worry boss make I continue my tori, I belief others might benefit from it and if their is any other info the elders of this thread can add to it to enlightment those still having the problem is highly welcome.
Hatching no easy but the money sweet

I hail you master you too much jare.. o yes fumigating of farm equipment is a must especially before spawning, i have had my own fare share of my fries dying after hatching for over a year it kept happening, i changed artemia, used 0.2, took my water to animal care for testing nothing i no do that period.. later i thought it was my enemy form the village, i did series of prayers and fasting infact if i write my epistle the whole nairaland will not contain it cheesy

All the same i praise you for your consistency and willingness to find out the possible causes, most time these problems arises from small things we fail to see or overlook.

www.agricnetwork.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:16am On Jun 29, 2015
Juliana7:

Where have you been madam?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:23am On Jun 29, 2015
aquadude15:
Good pm to you all
Make una grab una sit, order popcorn and coke sidon jeje and observe the rest tori.
My next post will be on some safety that you can add to you farm practice so as to reduce early fry mortality. Tho farm practice differs but I'm sure I will surely help. Criticism, correction and contribution is allowed. Make all of us gather chop hatching money.

I did a research online to check out the cause of the MASSIVE mortality cos if over a million fries were in my pond it won't take them up to 7days before all of thgem pack up. I got a result that was close to my experience and it was fungi infection. Dunno if any person have experienced such? Its like a white patch on the fish skin and if only one fish is infected in the pond, the rest might get infected within 48 hours and pack up.
So I went to 2 different vet and each of them told me to buy iodasteryl and formalin. I mix d two together and used it. I started hatching again but I still experience the mortality but not as fatal as before.
*Them tell me say artemia dey kill fish, I threw my artemia away
*Them tell me say make I start with 0.2 but e no work 4 me
*i started using drugs for d fries during the first week and mix the drugs 2 their feed but it didn't worked at all
* make I stop here so I no go bore una
But one thing I did was I alway take note of my mistake and improve on all subsequent hatching and observe possible error I'm making, listd and corrected them. During this period I went to different farm, research and I even asked 4 help on this thread.
Everything turn around wen I adopted a method and only one fish survived but I kept the fish and told myself that my next hatching will be better than that and it was so.
I thank baba God say I'm back and better now
Lemme call your attention to the costly errors I made that cost me a lot
* I didn't treat the broodstock that brought the infection to my farm before using it and adding it to my broodstock vat
* I don't disinfect my vat/pond after every successful/unsuccesful spawning, wat I do den is just salt and water
* I gave all dead fishes that were infected to my broodstock to eat (stingy me, I no want wastage)

I guess I will stop here. Any addition, subtraction or question is allowed

Safe

Always treat your vat before spawning, wash first use salt, formalin, in fact i add a little quantity of iodestiryl in the water with the eggs.. there is a pro bio-tic artemia i saw at an agro store in atlanta which gives the fries resistance to diseases i am planning on trying it soonest.. Abeg carry on my boss i dey enjoy your updates.

www.agricnetwork.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:32am On Jun 29, 2015
olubankemi:
@Aquadude, waoo so much a lovely and enlightening post. Am happy you also put God in your business and trust Him to help you through.

The truth is with God and the spirit of persistence, you will surely make it. This two you have them.

With Gods grace and persistence we can overcome any challenge that comes our way. Anything is possible with God

(1) (2) (3) ... (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.