Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,491 members, 7,843,494 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (206) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1502082 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:07pm On Oct 16, 2015
sham2007:
hello house, my fish are turning white and how can it be treated, they are in an earthen pond sirs. oga ab1x and other ogas plssss help

I hope the fishes are getting better!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 3:31pm On Oct 16, 2015
Thank God is Friday, hope we are all taking our catfish business to permanent site like Oga Robonski is presently doing. @ Robonski, We are all proud of you for being one of few people that shares information without demanding for kobo. May God continue to increase your strength.

The above vat pics gives me idea of how piping of vat can be done to reduce stress of siphoning and ensuring the bottom of pond remain clear of dirty, provided its not going to stress the fries.

Now to my questions:
1.Does the size of broodstock affects the growth rate and growth attainment of the seed? In order word, will a broodstock of say 1kg be able to breed catfish that will grow up to 2-2.5k within a generally acceptable period?.

2. Does is not mean that a broodstock that could not attain 1.2kg in 1year lack the capacity to breed seed that could surpass its parents in growth within six [6] months?

Please, i need detailed explanation from my experienced bosses. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:42pm On Oct 16, 2015
Construction is still ongoing in the hatchery, double Decker wooden vat currently is on construction i will post the pix later tonight after it is set..Also we just got the rechargeable aerator in case of power failure its a 17 phase aerator that can last upto 12 hours without interruption, which means good health of the fries.

The gepee tank concrete piller which can carry 3 gp tank of 2000 litres is also dry and set, we just mounted one of the tank..The 10 large Nursery earthen ponds is going through the fertilization process for zooplanktons production for additional feed to the fries.. Each will take 20k fries to fingerlings/juvenile using flow through and air blower system.

1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 4:17pm On Oct 16, 2015
TODAY IS WORLD FOOD DAY (Oct. 16th)

Theme 2015: “Social Protection and agriculture: breaking the cycle of rural poverty”.
-------------------------------------------------
I want to thank and congratulate every farmer around the globe for your sincere efforts in eradicating hunger, curbing crimes and killing poverty.
Let's endeavour to do more through our production in making the world a better place with a vision of hunger free society.

Wishing you all the very best!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 4:24pm On Oct 16, 2015
robonski15:
Construction is still ongoing in the hatchery, double Decker wooden vat currently is on construction i will post the pix later tonight after it is set..Also we just got the rechargeable aerator in case of power failure its a 17 phase aerator that can last upto 12 hours without interruption, which means good health of the fries.

The gepee tank concrete piller which can carry 3 gp tank of 2000 litres is also dry and set, we just mounted one of the tank..The 10 large Nursery earthen ponds is going through the fertilization process for zooplanktons production for additional feed to the fries.. Each will take 20k fries to fingerlings/juvenile using flow through and air blower system.
NA WAHH OHH OGA ROBONSKI THIS YOUR PROJECT IS NOT A JOKE OHHH::: YOU REALLY MEAN BUISNESS PLEASE UPDATE US WHEN U START SELLING ::AT LEAST WE WILL BE SURE WE ARE GETTING GOOD HEALTHEY FINGERLINGS TO STOCK TOO MUCH QUACK HATCHERIES OUT THERE THAT SELL RUNTS ::::MORE GRACE MORE GOD HELP U ACHIEVE ::: GOODLUCK

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by CVWizards(m): 4:44pm On Oct 16, 2015
Please can anyone tell me where to get any of these ponds at affordable prices in Lagos. All the people I called are quoting huge amount that is enough to build a concrete pond. Thanks.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 8:09pm On Oct 16, 2015
CVWizards:
Please can anyone tell me where to get any of these ponds at affordable prices in Lagos. All the people I called are quoting huge amount that is enough to build a concrete pond. Thanks.
IF U GO TO GP TANK FACTORY AT SANGO OTTA YOU WILL GET SOME NEW ONES ::: OR IF U NEED FAIRLY USED YOU CAN ASK PEOPLE ON THIS TREAD I THINK SOMEONE ADVERTISE SELLING HIS SOME MONTHS AGO; READ THROUGH THE TREAD YOU MAY BE LUCKY IF HE HAS NOT SOLD HIS OWN GOODLUCK:
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by murshid09(m): 9:01pm On Oct 16, 2015
pls what is the full meaning of ph(water test).2ndly what is the name of the machine in testing water ph.thirdly where can someone buy the machine&at what price? pls my oga patapata in the house
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by murshid09(m): 9:09pm On Oct 16, 2015
pls my beloved bosses in this thread kindly help me out in these foreign feeds 1.zeigler 2.durante 3.coppens. 4.topfeeds 5.vitals.could u please re-arrange them as per the quality with reasons.and lastly where can someone get original zeigler,durante,coppens,vital&top feeds with current price. thanks more grease to ur elbow.ameenfoodsnigeria@gmail.com.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by murshid09(m): 9:15pm On Oct 16, 2015
here comes again.pls is there any substitute for fish meal(72%)if yes pls what?and price&location.and if no what is the current price of original and unadulterated fish meal(72%)?pls i wish to compare prices.thanks so muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:17pm On Oct 16, 2015
murshid09:
pls what is the full meaning of ph(water test).2ndly what is the name of the machine in testing water ph.thirdly where can someone buy the machine&at what price? pls my oga patapata in the house
A PH METER IS USED TO TEST THE ACIDITY AND ALKALINITY OF WATER ::::THERE IS ALSO THE LIQUID TYPE TOO DEPENDS ON WHICH U LIKE :::YOU CAN GET IN MOST VET SHOPS I THINK KINGDOM AQUARIUM HAS IT::GOODLUCK
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by CVWizards(m): 9:19pm On Oct 16, 2015
Thanks.
soft777:
IF U GO TO GP TANK FACTORY AT SANGO OTTA YOU WILL GET SOME NEW ONES ::: OR IF U NEED FAIRLY USED YOU CAN ASK PEOPLE ON THIS TREAD I THINK SOMEONE ADVERTISE SELLING HIS SOME MONTHS AGO; READ THROUGH THE TREAD YOU MAY BE LUCKY IF HE HAS NOT SOLD HIS OWN GOODLUCK:
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:22pm On Oct 16, 2015
murshid09:
pls my beloved bosses in this thread kindly help me out in these foreign feeds 1.zeigler 2.durante 3.coppens. 4.topfeeds 5.vitals.could u please re-arrange them as per the quality with reasons.and lastly where can someone get original zeigler,durante,coppens,vital&top feeds with current price. thanks more grease to ur elbow.ameenfoodsnigeria@gmail.com.
WELL THE QUALITIES DIFFER FROM ONE FARMER TO THE OTHER ::TO ME I FEEL ALL IS GOOD U CAN GET MOST OF THEM AT AGEGE:::MOST PEOPLE STILL PUT COPPENS AND ZEIGLER AT TOP BUT COPPENS IS EASIER TO GET CAUSE ZEIGLER IS A BIT SCARCE :::: GO TO AGEGE ABATOUR YOU GET LOTS OF SHOPS THERE THAT SELL FISH FEEDS LOCAL AND IMPORTED GOODLUCK
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by murshid09(m): 9:29pm On Oct 16, 2015
thanks oga soft 777.what about other questions
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 9:32pm On Oct 16, 2015
Pix of the constructed double decker spawning vat...

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:34pm On Oct 16, 2015
murshid09:
here comes again.pls is there any substitute for fish meal(72%)if yes pls what?and price&location.and if no what is the current price of original and unadulterated fish meal(72%)?pls i wish to compare prices.thanks so muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch
::I WILL ADVICE YOU NOT TO UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF FISH MEAL IN FISH FARMING :: IF UR FISH ARE STILL YOUNG THEY DEFINATELY NEED ANIMAL PROTIEN DERIVED FROM FISH MEAL ESPECIALLY CATFISH THEY ARE CARNIVOROUS/ OMINIVOUS IN NATURE MEANS THEY NEED FLESH COMPARED TO TILAPIA :::BUT IF YOUR FISH ARE GROWN YOU CAN REPLACE SOME PERCENTAGE OF YOUR FISH MEAL NOT NESSESARY ALL WITH OTHER ANIMAL PROTEIN LIKE : CHICKEN INTESTINE BLOOD MEAL ETC AND PLANT PROTEIN LIKE SOYA ETC::: BUT ALWAYS ALLOW SOME PERCENTAGE OF YOUR FISH MEAL IN YOUR FORMULA VERY NECESSARY FOR THERE GROWTH::: GOODLUCK
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:38pm On Oct 16, 2015
murshid09:
thanks oga soft 777.what about other questions
ASK ME WHICH QUESTION I DID NOT ANSWER AND I WILL GLADLY ANSWER U THANK U
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chrysbees: 9:57pm On Oct 16, 2015
robonski15:

Oga Robonski, this double deck spawning vat takes me back to the old school boarding school double bonk. So CatFish don join human get double bonk. Lol!
I'm proud of the great works you are unleashing.
May unlimited success be your story now and always.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:47pm On Oct 16, 2015
chrysbees:

Oga Robonski, this double deck spawning vat takes me back to the old school boarding school double bonk. So CatFish don join human get double bonk. Lol!
I'm proud of the great works you are unleashing.
May unlimited success be your story now and always.
My bro, thank you very much I appreciate.. We must find out ways to manage space these days Lool.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 12:47am On Oct 17, 2015
robonski15:

coach roland this double decker vat is been long ooooooo ehhhh ehhhh naija guru i hail u ooooo.welldone on ur gigantic project.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MCEDAR: 5:21am On Oct 17, 2015
I am so glad to be a follower of this great thread. I got the insight to go into fish farming few weeks back. I have been gathering resources (knowledge) about it since then. But I must confess, this thread has been one of my major resources so far.

Since I have gained from this thread, I therefore see a necessity to give back in one way or the other. Not only that, Since I am yet a novice, it would be my delight to have you guys supervise the project along with me to make it a perfect and awesome one. I, therefore, would be posting the images of each stage here till the end of the project. The project commences on Monday and these are the details :

FARM SIZE: One plot of Land (100x50ft)
POND TYPE: Concrete (24 10x10x5ft sizes ponds partitioned into four. i.e. 6 at a point) with roofing for shed
TARGETED CAPACITY: 24000 fishes capacity
WATER SYSTEM: Hand drilled Borehole (with four overhead tanks of 4000 litres capacity each)
SECTIONS: Store room of 12x7ft, power house (7x4ft), aeration machine room (5x4ft), Hatchery (25x7ft), The concrete pond (50x65ft), Fish Smoking space (15x7ft), others include car pack, buildings for accomodation and offices etc.

NOTE: If there be anything wrong (not right) or missing with the details above, please contribute.

I am posting this because I intend to have your highly esteemed contributions for the success of the project.

Block Moulding Starts on Monday. Lets see how it goes.

Thanks everyone in anticipation of your contributions.

Good morning and Happy Weekend.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 5:29am On Oct 17, 2015
Ttalk:
Thank God is Friday, hope we are all taking our catfish business to permanent site like Oga Robonski is presently doing. @ Robonski, We are all proud of you for being one of few people that shares information without demanding for kobo. May God continue to increase your strength.

The above vat pics gives me idea of how piping of vat can be done to reduce stress of siphoning and ensuring the bottom of pond remain clear of dirty, provided its not going to stress the fries.

Now to my questions:
1.Does the size of broodstock affects the growth rate and growth attainment of the seed? In order word, will a broodstock of say 1kg be able to breed catfish that will grow up to 2-2.5k within a generally acceptable period?.

2. Does is not mean that a broodstock that could not attain 1.2kg in 1year lack the capacity to breed seed that could surpass its parents in growth within six [6] months?

Please, i need detailed explanation from my experienced bosses. Thank you.
YES DEFINATELY ITS CALLED GENETICS ; MOST OF THE FRIES WILL ALWAYS HAVE CHARACTERISTICS OF THERE PARENTS:::I ADVICE YOU USE BROOD BETWEEN 1.5 to 2.5 kg ..,.THIS IS NO GUARANTEE THAT YOUR FRIES MUST SURVIVE::::FOR GOOD SURVIVAL RATES YOU NEED FOLLOW THE NORMAL PRACTICES DISCLOSED ON THIS TREAD GOOD LUCK:

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 5:40am On Oct 17, 2015
MCEDAR:
I am so glad to be a follower of this great thread. I got the insight to go into fish farming few weeks back. I have been gathering resources (knowledge) about it since then. But I must confess, this thread has been one of my major resources so far.

Since I have gained from this thread, I therefore see a necessity to give back in one way or the other. Not only that, Since I am yet a novice, it would be my delight to have you guys supervise the project along with me to make it a perfect and awesome one. I, therefore, would be posting the images of each stage here till the end of the project. The project commences on Monday and these are the details :

FARM SIZE: One plot of Land (100x50ft)
POND TYPE: Concrete (24 10x10ft sizes ponds partitioned into four. i.e. 6 at a point) with roofing for shed
TARGETED CAPACITY: 15000 fishes capacity
WATER SYSTEM: Hand drilled Borehole (with four overhead tanks of 4000 litres capacity each)
SECTIONS: Store room of 12x7ft, power house (7x4ft), aeration machine room (5x4ft), Hatchery (25x7ft), The concrete pond (50x65ft), Fish Smoking space (15x7ft), others include car pack, buildings for accomodation and offices etc.

NOTE: If there be anything wrong (not right) or missing with the details above, please contribute.

I am posting this because I intend to have your highly esteemed contributions for the success of the project.

Block Moulding Starts on Monday. Lets see how it goes.

Thanks everyone in anticipation of your contributions.

Good morning and Happy Weekend.
YOU ARE GOOD TO GO MY BROTHER MAY THE LORD BE WITH YOU BUT MY CANDID ADVICE FROM EXPERIENCE 1500 FISH CAPACITY DOES NOT REALLY NEED ALL THE BUILDING OFFICES YOU JUST MENTION;; DONT SPEND TOO MUCH ON BUILDINGS THOUGH I DONT KNOW YOUR POCKET; 1 LITTLE ROOM IS ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF ALL U JUST MENTIONED APPART FROM YOUR CONCRATE PONDS :TRY KEEP MONEY FOR FEEEDING THEM BECAUSE FEEDING TAKES ABOUT 75% OF YOUR COST OF FISH PRODUCTION; AS YOU GROW TRY INCREASE YOUR CUSTOMER BASE AND EXPAND THEN U CAN ADD MORE BUILDINGS ::SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE USE YOUR MONEY FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR PROJECT GOODLUCK::::

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MCEDAR: 6:15am On Oct 17, 2015
soft777:
YOU ARE GOOD TO GO MY BROTHER MAY THE LORD BE WITH YOU BUT MY CANDID ADVICE FROM EXPERIENCE 1500 FISH CAPACITY DOES NOT REALLY NEED ALL THE BUILDING OFFICES YOU JUST MENTION;; DONT SPEND TOO MUCH ON BUILDINGS THOUGH I DONT KNOW YOUR POCKET; 1 LITTLE ROOM IS ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF ALL U JUST MENTIONED APPART FROM YOUR CONCRATE PONDS :TRY KEEP MONEY FOR FEEEDING THEM BECAUSE FEEDING TAKES ABOUT 75% OF YOUR COST OF FISH PRODUCTION; AS YOU GROW TRY INCREASE YOUR CUSTOMER BASE AND EXPAND THEN U CAN ADD MORE BUILDINGS ::SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE USE YOUR MONEY FOR THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR PROJECT GOODLUCK::::

Thanks a lot sir. My house is far from the farm, so I thought having an office and a room to sleep will be ok. Also, car cant be parked outside the fence, so there is necessity for car park that can contain three cars. Security man and staff will also need a room each.

This is my perspective but I still await your response towards this. I may be wrong and stand to be corrected.

Thanks as you agree to join me in seeing this project through by God's grace.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ajoo17(m): 7:29am On Oct 17, 2015
Well, you have a good plan at the same time let there be a plan for raining days. Just as you have been advised. Spend on necessity for now don't take a junk of your money to luxury like building she'd & others. It is only hatchery that need a shed & of course your office & that is all. Keep money for feeding, you intend to feed 15000 fishes that will cost you about 3M to feed to table size with a space of 6mths since you are talking of fries. Pls be wise. I wish you best of luck!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MCEDAR: 8:02am On Oct 17, 2015
ajoo17:
Well, you have a good plan at the same time let there be a plan for raining days. Just as you have been advised. Spend on necessity for now don't take a junk of your money to luxury like building she'd & others. It is only hatchery that need a shed & of course your office & that is all. Keep money for feeding, you intend to feed 15000 fishes that will cost you about 3M to feed to table size with a space of 6mths since you are talking of fries. Pls be wise. I wish you best of luck!

Thanks ajoo17,I so much value your contribution. I only give the view of the farm at the end of the construction. The building is to be done after the first harvest (aside my office). The first stocking is meant to be 5000 fishes or less to start with.

But my questions:

1. I think I am not wrong in building shed to cover the concrete ponds?

2. Hope 1000 fishes cant be stocked till maturity is a 10x10 ft pond of 5ft depth?

Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wisefizz(m): 8:37am On Oct 17, 2015
Oga soft777, pls wat is the factor that makes fertilized eggs turns white after 13hrs of incubation?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 1:56pm On Oct 17, 2015
wisefizz:
Oga soft777, pls wat is the factor that makes fertilized eggs turns white after 13hrs of incubation?
when eggs turn white means they did not hartch there are many factors like 1, when your water temperature in your vat is not up to the desired temprature to hatch too hot or too low 2, when your eggs are infected mostly fungai infects eggs 3, the brood parent is not good may be sick infected or not up to the right age..4, when the latency period is not followed well before stripping 5, when u dont have enough disolve oxygen and too low or too high ph i mean bad water management ,, 7 , the milt in the male is not good enough for fertalizing egg ,, by 16h nigerian time 4pm i will give a detailed solution analysis to the problem i just wrote here and also give instant where your egg may hatch but the percentage hartch is so poor and solution thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wisefizz(m): 3:56pm On Oct 17, 2015
soft777:
when eggs turn white means they did not hartch there are many factors like 1, when your water temperature in your vat is not up to the desired temprature to hatch too hot or too low 2, when your eggs are infected mostly fungai infects eggs 3, the brood parent is not good may be sick infected or not up to the right age..4, when the latency period is not followed well before stripping 5, when u dont have enough disolve oxygen and too low or too high ph i mean bad water management ,, 7 , the milt in the male is not good enough for fertalizing egg ,, by 16h nigerian time 4pm i will give a detailed solution analysis to the problem i just wrote here and also give instant where your egg may hatch but the percentage hartch is so poor and solution thank you

oh.... this is a lovely reply from you, thanks so much boss........ I really appreciate

I will be glad to hear from you, by that time you mentioned above sir...

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 5:21pm On Oct 17, 2015
wisefizz:

oh.... this is a lovely reply from you, thanks so much boss........ I really appreciate

I will be glad to hear from you, by that time you mentioned above sir...
SORRY FOR THE DELAY :: I WILL GO STRAIGHT TO THE POINT 1; YOUR WATER TEMPERATURE SHOULD BE BETWEEN 28 degree and 30 degree BEST FOR GOOD HARTCH 2, FISH EGGS FIRST DIESESE IS FUNGAI : U CAN SOLVE IT BUY DISOLVING VERY LITTLE MELACHITE GREEN AND MIX IT WITH UR EGGS FOR LIKE 3MINUTES BEFORE U FERTALIZE UR EGGS BUT BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO ADD TOO MUCH U ONLY APPLY THIS TREATMENT WHEN U DISCOVER U OVER STRESS YOUR BROOD FISH OR WHEN U STRIP AND NOTICE TOO MANY WHITE EGGS THAT MEANS THE WHITE EGGS ARE DEAD AND THEY WILL BE QUICKLY AFFECTED BY FUNGAI AND IF U DONT APPLY THE TREATMENT AS I SAID EARLIER BY 10 to 13 HOURS OF INCUBATION THE FUNGAI WILL AFFECT ALMOST ALL YOUR EGGS THERE BY CAUSING VERY VERY POOR PERCENTAGE HATCH ; YOU CAN ALSO ADD THE MELACHITE GREEN TO YOUR ALREADY INCUBATED EGGS DURING THE 10th HOUR ; IF U DISCOVER UR EGGS ARE TURNING WHITE; IT WILL HELP STOP THE SPREAD OF THE FUNGAI TO YOUR EGGS 3; BUY BROOD STOCK FROM TESTED SELLERS WHO FEED THERE BROOD WITH THE RIGHT FEED FORMULA OR RATIO 4,FOR AFRICAN CATFISH 10 HOURS INTERVAL IS THE BEST TIME FOR STRIPPING AFTER INJECTING EARLY OR LATE STRIPPING AFFECT QUALITY OF YOUR HARTCH 5,EITHER FLOW THROW SYSTEM TO CONTINOUS AERATE UR VAT OR THE STAGNANT SYSTEM WITH AERATOR TO PROVIDE WELL OXYGEN TO UR HATCHERY VAT; YOU CAN EVEN USE BOTH METHOD TOGETHER FLOW THROW AND AERATOR THE METHOD BY OUR PROF ROBONSKI IS THE BEST AND BEST PH IS 7.5 to 8.5 AS EGGS AND NEWLY HATCH FRIES PREFARE HIGER PH BUT AS THEY GROW U CAN REDUCE THE PH TO 6.5 to 7.5 ORE ELSE IT BECOMES TOSTIC TO YOUR FINGERLINGS 7, JUST GET GOOD MALE PREFARABLE USE 2 OR MORE MALE CAUSE 1 male IS A RISK ITS SPERM MAY NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH , THERE ARE INSTANCE U KILL A VERY BIG MALE HEALTHEY LOOKING WITHOUT FINDING SPERM IN IT :::BETER GET MORE THAN 1 MALE 8, A HATCHERY MANAGEMENT CAN TAKE A FULL TEXBOOX SO I GUESS I ANSWERED SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS BUT IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIFIC QUESTION YOU WANT ME TO ELABORATE WILL BE GLAD TO GOOD LUCK:

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 6:01pm On Oct 17, 2015
MCEDAR:

Thanks ajoo17,I so much value your contribution. I only give the view of the farm at the end of the construction. The building is to be done after the first harvest (aside my office). The first stocking is meant to be 5000 fishes or less to start with.

But my questions:

1. I think I am not wrong in building shed to cover the concrete ponds?

2. Hope 1000 fishes cant be stocked till maturity is a 10x10 ft pond of 5ft depth?

Thanks.
FOR YOUR FIRST QUESTION YOU ARE VERY ON TRACK firstly , catfish like dark placese like there name cat means they like been in dark places so ur shade will serve for darking the pond and they grow better in dark environment because they dont secret there glands due to fear it makes them feel at home . secondly, the shade help to protect them against predators like kingfisher birds etc and it also help in reducing algea blast in your pond cause algea is a plant that needs sunlight for photosynthesis and there by producing more algea which will compete with oxygen in the water with your fish , so very ok to shade. For ur second question its called STOCKING DENSITY , its a little maths u can use for all your concrate ponds irrespective of the size.Lets use your question as a case study, multiply the lenthg breth and depth divide by 3
so 10 multiply by 10 multiply by 5 = 500 divide by 3 u get 166.666 aproximate it will give u 167 square meter so for a concrate pond using flow throw system u stock 5 fish per square meter this will give u 5 muliply by 167 u get 835 fish to table size but for melange stage u can put 1000 to 1200 using flow throw system but if u are using stagnant method this means u change water every 3 to 4 days u stock at 2 fish per square meter i hope it answers your question GOOD LUCK
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by boomzee: 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2015
@robonski......GOD bless ur hustle......

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.