Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:22 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (342) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1497318 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jeckin205: 5:29am On Oct 29, 2016
How money will it take to set up a small hatchery. Please your contribution will be welcum
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 7:08am On Oct 29, 2016
jeckin205:
How money will it take to set up a small hatchery. Please your contribution will be welcum
It depend on what u mean by small. It could range between 50k to above 500k. State clearly what you have in mind
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donnaheff: 1:18pm On Oct 29, 2016
denziz:
The choice of pumping machine depends on your targeted flow rate of water and source of power.For anyone using water recycling system,it is always recommended to have minimum of two pumping machines so that you can always alternate.
tnx, I really appreciate
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by denziz: 3:18pm On Oct 29, 2016
Ttalk:
You can use so many binding agents such as aqua ll, tapiocca, cassava starch/flour, corn flour molasis and other starchy stuff but gelatinity depends on preparation.
Baker's yeast can be use as floating agent. The problem is in cost/quantity implication.
Contact goldgate2003@yahoo.com for advice on floating feed
Good day,Ttalk,there was a time you mention something about formulation of feeds for fries since then I have been waiting for your update,I would be oblige if you can share your insight with us.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 8:48pm On Oct 29, 2016
denziz:
Good day,Ttalk,there was a time you mention something about formulation of feeds for fries since then I have been waiting for your update,I would be oblige if you can share your insight with us.

Bro, i have to exercise caution most especially when it come to fries management. On this forum people who tried to bring innovation to feed production was roundly castigated, while the negligence of farmers were put on breeder.
In feeding fries 3 things must be taken into consderatio:
1. Floaterbility
2. Gelatinisation
3. Balance amino acid
If you get this 3 right you can formulate 1.5mm for juvenile. Also ensure ur fishmeal is 72%
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by osashilton: 10:20pm On Oct 29, 2016
6ft x 16ft with a dept of 4ft
robonski15:

what is the size of the ponds?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wilbro: 6:16am On Oct 30, 2016
Ttalk:
You can use so many binding agents such as aqua ll, tapiocca, cassava starch/flour, corn flour molasis and other starchy stuff but gelatinity depends on preparation.
Baker's yeast can be use as floating agent. The problem is in cost/quantity implication.
Contact goldgate2003@yahoo.com for advice on floating feed
Sir, what quantity of cassava starch can be added to 100kg feed to achieve excellent binding?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by anyiway(m): 12:13pm On Oct 30, 2016
Hello house. I am a new comet to fish farming. I have already finished constructing 9 concrete ponds. 10ft by 20th each. Recently building a 3 rooms apartment. Two for worker's, one for storage. Please anyone with useful advice on how I could manage water waste should please help me with the information. The pond is located in a residential area with no available drainage.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stonedigital: 12:20pm On Oct 30, 2016
Hello fellow farmers in the house. I have good news for those of us that want to mill their local feed at the comfort of their home. My pellet matching and grinder is for sale. My reason for selling is the capacity of the machine is 150kg per and I want a bigger machine that is 300kg per hour. Interested individuals should pchart me or call 08025296420. Thanks

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stonedigital: 12:22pm On Oct 30, 2016
Hello fellow farmers in the house. I have good news for those of us that want to mill their local feed at the comfort of their home. My pellet matching and grinder is for sale. My reason for selling is the capacity of the machine is 150kg per and I want a bigger machine that is 300kg per hour. Interested individuals should pchart me. It comes with 2mm to 8mm mesh
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 2:11pm On Oct 30, 2016
anyiway:
Hello house. I am a new comet to fish farming. I have already finished constructing 9 concrete ponds. 10ft by 20th each. Recently building a 3 rooms apartment. Two for worker's, one for storage. Please anyone with useful advice on how I could manage water waste should please help me with the information. The pond is located in a residential area with no available drainage.
contact saintugo
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 3:42pm On Oct 30, 2016
wilbro:

Sir, what quantity of cassava starch can be added to 100kg feed to achieve excellent binding?
In feed production good binding is as important as quality of the ingredients. A good sinking feed must be stable in water for at least 2hours
3 factors determine the stability of feed
1. Type of binding stuff used
2. Quantity and preparation method
3. Type of pelletising machine used
Sadly pelletiser hardly have the time to observe this 3 factors. When u change water and you see so many residue know that you feed leech easily in water. This could be very dangerous for your fish most especially concrete pond.
The quantity of binding stuff is detemine by type of binding agent used and age of your fish.
I use minimum of 15% in the first 2month. I increase it to over 25% during the last 2month when i introduce corn flour. The real thing is how you prepare your cabonhydrate stuff
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by paulavon: 4:24pm On Oct 30, 2016
anyiway:

I just finished constructing my concrete ponds also, while I was sinking my borehole I paid them some extra money to drill a drainage for me,we put pipe in the drainage so all the ponds outlets are connected to the drainage and the water goes right into the ground.That is the best option when your pond is located in a residential area.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by paulavon: 4:40pm On Oct 30, 2016
I need a fish farm with concrete ponds in Benin city or warri that I can learn some few tips, I already have knowledge on earthen ponds. I also want to learn hatching. I am willing to pay for the services.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omisakint: 5:11pm On Oct 30, 2016
To God be the glory. I cropped my fishes yesterday and I sold at a price of 650 per kilo. They were so big and I must say this platform was of great help. I stocked 750 the first time. Now am going 1000.

Lesson learnt.
Make sure you have a good water source
Don't rely on foreign food all through. (first 3 months of foreign feed or naija feed is ok is ok =

The foundation is Germane I Wil recommend you use foreign food for at least two months.... I plan to use aqua feed 2mm for two months in my next stock.

Love you all.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:52pm On Oct 30, 2016
omisakint:
To God be the glory. I cropped my fishes yesterday and I sold at a price of 650 per kilo. They were so big and I must say this platform was of great help. I stocked 750 the first time. Now am going 1000.

Lesson learnt.
Don't rely on foreign food all through. (first 3 months of foreign feed or naija feed is ok is ok =

The foundation is Germane I Wil recommend you use foreign food for at least two months.... I plan to use aqua feed 2mm for two months in my next stock.

Love you all.
congrats,you made your analysis so brief,you could emphasize on your feed regime to enlighten others,what made yours different,nice work,God Bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by wilbro: 8:36pm On Oct 30, 2016
Ttalk:

In feed production good binding is as important as quality of the ingredients. A good sinking feed must be stable in water for at least 2hours
3 factors determine the stability of feed
1. Type of binding stuff used
2. Quantity and preparation method
3. Type of pelletising machine used
Sadly pelletiser hardly have the time to observe this 3 factors. When u change water and you see so many residue know that you feed leech easily in water. This could be very dangerous for your fish most especially concrete pond.
The quantity of binding stuff is detemine by type of binding agent used and age of your fish.
I use minimum of 15% in the first 2month. I increase it to over 25% during the last 2month when i introduce corn flour. The real thing is how you prepare your cabonhydrate stuff
Thanks once again for the info.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omisakint: 10:23pm On Oct 30, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
congrats,you made your analysis so brief,you could emphasize on your feed regime to enlighten others,what made yours different,nice work,God Bless

My greatest mistake was on the feeding. I over used foreign and local packaged feed like vital, chi etc.. But over all... Those package fees shouldn't be more than 3 months
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:39pm On Oct 30, 2016
excelsiorfarm:

Edited
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:46pm On Oct 30, 2016
omisakint:

Lesson learnt.

Love you all.
Congrat on your success. The journey has just started. Bro, there is nothing spectacular about foreign feed that local floating can not give you. The likes of vital, aqua max can still give you wonderful performance from 2mm most especially when you stock high quantity.

Another thing most people ignore is temperature, the period you stock your pond determine to a large extent the growth rate of your fish. Fish stock in July will not have the same growth rate as fish stock in February but most people blame the breeder when the growth rate is not as fast as their previous stock which incidentally falls in warm season when temperature was high
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:09pm On Oct 30, 2016
Ttalk:

Comgrat on your success. The journey has just started. Bro, there nothing s nothing spectacular about foreign feed that local floating an not give you. The likes of vital, aqua max can still give you wonderful performance from 2mm most especially when you stock high quantity.
Another thing most people ignore is temperature, the period you stock you pond determine to a large extent the growth rate of your fish. Fish stock in July will not have the same growth rate as fish stock in February but most people blame the breeder when the growth rate is not as fast as their previous stock which incidentaaly falls in warm season when temperature was high
chief no be me dey testify,just needed the brother to enlighten others that when they do things right & well,they can always make profit
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:16pm On Oct 30, 2016
omisakint:

My greatest mistake was on the feeding. I over used foreign and local packaged feed like vital, chi etc.. But over all... Those package fees shouldn't be more than 3 months
good,not a mistake,you learnt how you could gain more by your own personal experience,after the next & onward you keep improving until you reach or attain a stage where you could be almost be perfect & accurate in decisions in every stocking(ONLY GOD IS PERFECT)
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by anyiway(m): 2:22am On Oct 31, 2016
Thank you very much my brother. Your advice is really valuable. I will put it to good use.
paulavon:

I just finished constructing my concrete ponds also, while I was sinking my borehole I paid them some extra money to drill a drainage for me,we put pipe in the drainage so all the ponds outlets are connected to the drainage and the water goes right into the ground.That is the best option when your pond is located in a residential area.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by anyiway(m): 2:41am On Oct 31, 2016
My fish farm

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Preshivano01(m): 9:01am On Oct 31, 2016
In need of juveniles.. Location benin city phone number 08070474699 09031893886
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abbeydeeone: 11:26am On Oct 31, 2016
good morning house. pls where can I get dried blood meal in Ibadan. contacts and locations will be appreciated. thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:40am On Oct 31, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
chief no be dey testify,just needed the brother to enlighten others that when they do things right & well,they can always make profit

Yeah bro, actually wanted to quote him and not you sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:47am On Oct 31, 2016
anyiway:
My fish farm

Wonderful work out there. What is the depth of your well/borehole
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 1:04pm On Oct 31, 2016
Ttalk:

Yeah bro, actually wanted to quote him and not you sir
no wahala sir,regards
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:16pm On Oct 31, 2016
a brother says he has pkc at port harcourt at 40k per tone
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by anyiway(m): 9:20pm On Oct 31, 2016
My pond
Lenght=20ft
Width=10ft
Depth=6ft.
All concrete. No block.
Two boreholes at 180ft each.
Ttalk:

Wonderful work out there. What is the depth of your well/borehole
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by anyiway(m): 10:09pm On Oct 31, 2016
My pond does not have a roof. Will the sunlight and heat have any effect on the fishes?

(1) (2) (3) ... (339) (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.