Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,789 members, 7,851,661 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 04:29 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (90) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1505124 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ultrazone(m): 4:45pm On Aug 14, 2014
tucurj: pls Nl,how many fish can i raise in a 200(two hundred)litre plastic vat from juvenile to table size,need ur response,dont ignore because of d small quantity,its just for family comsumption,thks
Using 8-10fish/litre stocking density, you can raise 20-25 fish in the vat. You may decide to increase to 30 sha since you are not producing to a target weight
. Just make sure you avoid over-stocking so you don't attract its attendant negative consequences.
www.WeTalkNaira.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ummulakram: 4:53pm On Aug 14, 2014
ultrazone:
NCO is a combination of three antibiotics (Neomycin, Chloramphenicol and Oxytetracycline). Alternatively, you can use tetracycline (may be prepared as oxytetracycline) because it another broad spectrum antibiotic.
www.WeTalkNaira.com
am using 1ltrs of tank as d pond so where shld d water level stop for d treatment.And do d NCO serve as remedy for there not eating habit.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ultrazone(m): 5:25pm On Aug 14, 2014
ummulakram: am using 1ltrs of tank as d pond so where shld d water level stop for d treatment.And do d NCO serve as remedy for there not eating habit.

Certain bacterial infections damage internal organs causing fluid to accumulate in the fish belly leading to a condition known as Dropsy. Antibiotic treatment can be given through feed or inside the pond water. Mix small quantity of NCO, Salt and Potassium Permaganate (PG). (Ashes can replace PG in earthen ponds). Drain the pond water to level barely covering the fish. Sprinkle the mixture over the pond water covering everywhere. Leave them for about 30mins, then start introducing fresh water. Fast your fish for 48hrs and introduce feed to them gradually. I'm sorry I can't get you the recommended dosages (NCO dosage is on the satchet). I just do what works for me. Professionals here can help both of us with that.
NB: I'm a novice.
www.WeTalkNaira.com

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ummulakram: 5:32pm On Aug 14, 2014
[quote author=tucurj]pls Nl,how many fish can i raise in a 200(two hundred)litre plastic vat from juvenile to table size,need ur response,dont ignore because of d small quantity,its just for family comsumption,thks[/quote
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ummulakram: 5:34pm On Aug 14, 2014
ultrazone:
Certain bacterial infections damage internal organs causing fluid to accumulate in the fish belly leading to a condition known as Dropsy. Antibiotic treatment can be given through feed or inside the pond water. Mix small quantity of NCO, Salt and Potassium Permaganate (PG). (Ashes can replace PG in earthen ponds). Drain the pond water to level barely covering the fish. Sprinkle the mixture over the pond water covering everywhere. Leave them for about 30mins, then start introducing fresh water. Fast your fish for 48hrs and introduce feed to them gradually. I'm sorry I can't get you the recommended dosages (NCO dosage is on the satchet). I just do what works for me. Professionals here can help both of us with that.
www.WeTalkNaira.com
Thank u all for d assistance.I Appreciate.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ultrazone(m): 5:37pm On Aug 14, 2014
ummulakram:
Thank u all for d assistance.I Appreciate.
It's a privilege assisting Sir.
www.WeTalkNaira.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ummulakram: 5:37pm On Aug 14, 2014
[quote author=ummulakram][/quote]sorry I mistakenly modify ur post.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ummulakram: 8:45pm On Aug 14, 2014
ultrazone:
www.WeTalkNaira.com
Pls what amount of salt should I use my fish r about 250 pieces n I use 1000ltrs tank for them.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ultrazone(m): 9:52pm On Aug 14, 2014
ummulakram:
Pls what amount of salt should I use my fish r about 250 pieces n I use 1000ltrs tank for them.
5-7kg of salt/1000 litres of water is ideal. To get a more uniform treatment, dissolve in a bucket of water first. Remember to suspend feeding for a period of 2-3 days during this treatment.
www.WeTalkNaira.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by tucurj(m): 10:13pm On Aug 14, 2014
ultrazone:
Using 8-10fish/litre stocking density, you can raise 20-25 fish in the vat. You may decide to increase to 30 sha since you are not producing to a target weight
. Just make sure you avoid over-stocking so you don't attract its attendant negative consequences.
www.WeTalkNaira.com
ultrazone:
www.WeTalkNaira.com
ultrazone:
www.WeTalkNaira.com
you are the man,thanks a lot
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ultrazone(m): 10:24pm On Aug 14, 2014
tucurj: [color=#990000][/color]
you are the man,thanks a lot
All thanks to God, Sir.
www.WeTalkNaira.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ummulakram: 10:47pm On Aug 14, 2014
ultrazone:
5-7kg of salt/1000 litres of water is ideal. To get a more uniform treatment, dissolve in a bucket of water first. Remember to suspend feeding for a period of 2-3 days during this treatment.
www.WeTalkNaira.com
What of d water level or did mean I shld filled d tank to and add 5-7kg of salt?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 10:57pm On Aug 14, 2014
Dnt put excessive amount of salt in ur pond or else u will av to do pepper soup with all ur 250fishes. Put enough to make d water very slightly salted. I usually leave my fishes in the salt and NCO water for abt an hour before i top it up. My treatment regime lasts 3days. Ur tank is small so a heaped table spoon of NCO shd be okay for the quantity of fish u av, and two sachets of 1kg salt. Apply d first sachet and observe ur fishes. Gradually apply d second sachet of salt and observe dem incase of any 'funny' reactions.
Remember not to feed dem.

ummulakram:
What of d water level or did mean I shld filled d tank to and add 5-7kg of salt?

Fill d tank to d barest minimum dat will just cover d fishes but dey will be able to swim or fill the tank to a level dat will get up to ur ankle assuming u are standing in d tank.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ummulakram: 11:11pm On Aug 14, 2014
Belexy: Dnt put excessive amount of salt in ur pond or else u will av to do pepper soup with all ur 250fishes. Put enough to make d water very slightly salted. I usually leave my fishes in the salt and NCO water for abt an hour before i top it up. My treatment regime lasts 3days. Ur tank is small so a heaped table spoon of NCO shd be okay for the quantity of fish u av, and two sachets of 1kg salt. Apply d first sachet and observe ur fishes. Gradually apply d second sachet of salt and observe dem incase of any 'funny' reactions.
K.thank u all for the assistance.

Fill d tank to d barest minimum dat will just cover d fishes but dey will be able to swim or fill the tank to a level dat will get up to ur ankle assuming u are standing in d tank.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ultrazone(m): 11:30pm On Aug 14, 2014
ummulakram:
Make sure water covers all your fish. Use the formula to calculate d amount of salt you'll use for the quantity of water present (regardless of the level)
www.WeTalkNaira.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 9:47am On Aug 15, 2014
Belexy: Dnt put excessive amount of salt in ur pond or else u will av to do pepper soup with all ur 250fishes. Put enough to make d water very slightly salted. I usually leave my fishes in the salt and NCO water for abt an hour before i top it up. My treatment regime lasts 3days. Ur tank is small so a heaped table spoon of NCO shd be okay for the quantity of fish u av, and two sachets of 1kg salt. Apply d first sachet and observe ur fishes. Gradually apply d second sachet of salt and observe dem incase of any 'funny' reactions.

**Wanna correct dat 2 sachet of 1Kg salt i wrote**
Meant to say 2 sachet of 500gm salt and dats 1kg.
**pls take note**

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ummulakram: 11:09am On Aug 15, 2014
Belexy:

**pls take note**
k
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
Good day to everyone. I noticed that something seems to be eating the tail of my fishes. It starts as scratches on the tail region and within days, it seems to eat of the entire tail of the fish. The fish eventually dies. Please help. I've lost not less than 10 so far with many still injured presently.please answer
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kelvin1191(m): 5:03pm On Aug 15, 2014
pharmzy: Good day to everyone. I noticed that something seems to be eating the tail of my fishes. It starts as scratches on the tail region and within days, it seems to eat of the entire tail of the fish. The fish eventually dies. Please help. I've lost not less than 10 so far with many still injured presently.please answer
sort ur fishes into sizes, do feed them well, isolate the fishes with bruises on the body and the carnibalism will stop.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sudarnge: 6:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
retin01: tank u pple 4 d complement .The price is just #60,000, but I will sell 2any nairalander 4just #50,000.An in Edo state ,Benin city ,08054154586
i've tried calling u but ur line is not reachable pls call me on 08036900753
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Etranshub(m): 7:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
pharmzy: Good day to everyone. I noticed that something seems to be eating the tail of my fishes. It starts as scratches on the tail region and within days, it seems to eat of the entire tail of the fish. The fish eventually dies. Please help. I've lost not less than 10 so far with many still injured presently.please answer
there is a bacteria infection in your pond and if you have more than one pond it has probably spreads to ur entire farm....it is called finrot . first identify the ones with the sign of finrot (some will have slightly bruse body n red like tail and fin). Get a drug called aquacyril + , isolate the ones with the signs put them in a seperate pond (trust me almost all are infected so you have to treat both the ones with the signs and the ones yet to show sign) make sure water in the two ponds are quite low like ur ankle level and covering all the fish. Mix the drug with water and administer the solution into both pondz . do this for 3 to 5 days without feeding and mortality will stop

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 16, 2014
Thanks a lot @entransbug. I bought blagdon antifungus and bacteria. Dnt know if it will work
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Etranshub(m): 1:49pm On Aug 16, 2014
pharmzy: Thanks a lot @entransbug. I bought blagdon antifungus and bacteria. Dnt know if it will work
you can try that too but I have not used it personally but I have friends that use it mostly for preventive measures and it works fine for them. I am use to aquacyril + both for prevention and cure of bacteria infection. For prevention you use it ( either aquacyril or blagdon) to mix their feed for 3-5 days and for cure you use it as I stated in my last post
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by planetfood: 6:43pm On Aug 16, 2014
For regular supply of aqua pro in rivers state and environs pls call 08039561396 and 08074133436
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 9:05pm On Aug 16, 2014
planetfood: For regular supply of aqua pro in rivers state and environs pls call 08039561396 and 08074133436
How about outside rivers let say benue state?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kelvin1191(m): 11:01pm On Aug 16, 2014
Tbagwell1:

My oga @ the top, were u able to get the stuff from another supplier? I go call u latr.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by planetfood: 7:27am On Aug 17, 2014
Tbagwell1:

it can always be sent thru way bill
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 8:30am On Aug 17, 2014
kelvin1191:

My oga @ the top, were u able to get the stuff from another supplier? I go call u latr.
No sir I haven't, am in lagos atm, might get it dre. Thanks hope yhu are Good?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kelvin1191(m): 9:59am On Aug 17, 2014
Tbagwell1:
No sir I haven't, am in lagos atm, might get it dre. Thanks hope yhu are Good?

Am good. All d best man!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by retin01: 12:57pm On Aug 17, 2014
robonski15:

U can visit their website and call a representative for latest course duration. www.songhai.org

www.agricnetwork.com
We decided to test d aerator in a big bowl first because d owner of d farm said he wanted 2c how it work,because he didn't believe it will work so I make use of d bowl and water as u can c. When he saw it he ask me so u mean dis thing is working like dis,he was excited and he saith we should try it in d vert . For safety measure we both concluded dat we should use a bowl dat has many holes in it like rice fitter and use net with smaller hole 2cover d bowl so dat d fish wil not come too close to d aerator. I will do just dat next week

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:46pm On Aug 17, 2014
Belexy:

**pls take note**

Sighs!!!!

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gabscity(m): 3:10pm On Aug 17, 2014
robonski15:

Sighs!!!!

www.agricnetwork.com

Explain sir!

(1) (2) (3) ... (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.