Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

Least Visited Countries In The World - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Least Visited Countries In The World (2020 Views)

The 10 Most Corrupt Countries In The World: Nigeria Not On The List! / Nigeria Among Most Hated Countries In Britain / Top 10 Poorest Countries In The World Are All In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Least Visited Countries In The World by anonymous6(f): 5:55pm On Mar 30, 2013
[b]" For some travelers, getting off the beaten path is a point of pride, a way to see the parts of the world that don’t make it into glossy guidebooks.

But how many of those same adventurous travelers would be willing to visit, say, Somalia?

About 500, it turns out. At least, that’s how many tourists found their way to the war-torn east African nation last year.

That makes Somalia the second-least visited country in the world, after the tiny pacific island nation Nauru, according to a recent list compiled by travel writer Gunnar Garfors from UN statistics.

Little Nauru – 8.1 square miles in size, population 9,378 – got just 200 visitors last year, and it’s pretty clear why.

“There is almost nothing to see there,” writes Garfors, “as most of the island … is a large open phosphate mine.”
Indeed, most of the world’s least visited countries seem to fall in one of two categories. There are the Naurus, where you’ll puzzle over what to do, and the Somalias, where it’s simply too dangerous to do much of anything at all. (As Somalia’s Wikitravel page aptly notes, “the easiest method for staying safe in Somalia is not to go in the first place.”)
Most of the “nothing to do” countries are the crumbs that dust a map of the Pacific Ocean: the Federated States of Micronesia, the Solomon Islands, Kiribati, and Tuvalu. The latter shares with the Maldives the dubious distinction of having "highest elevation points" that are the lowest on earth – 15 feet above sea level. Visit while you can, as rising sea levels could make the island uninhabitable within a century.

As for the “too dangerous” countries, the list reads like a global primer in political conflict. For instance, despite its pristine national parks full of wild gorillas and elephants, the perpetually ungovernable Central African Republic (#23) is an unpopular destination for tourists. And its stock will likely continue to plummet – last week a rebel alliance seized the capital, Bangui, and the president fled to neighboring Cameroon.

Afghanistan (#10) also suffers from tourism-deflating instability, which keeps visitors away from its rugged peaks, ancient Buddhist monuments, and Islamic holy sites, including the 12th-century Minaret of Jam, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

“The Taliban have a message for foreign tourists who come to Afghanistan, especially if they are from any of the 50 countries that are part of the NATO-led coalition supporting the government: Big mistake,” writes The New York Times.

Other countries on the list, like Guinea Bissau (#14), Libya (#15), and East Timor (#18), have seen their reputations – and infrastructure – hobbled by recent wars or uprisings.
But not every country on the list is too dangerous or boring to visit. A few are simply effectively sealed off to the outside world.

All foreign visitors to North Korea (#16) are limited to a state-curated itinerary and must have an official government “minder” by their side at all times. But for the few Western tourists who venture into the country, that’s part of the appeal. “You will rarely get to see propaganda done more explicitly,” Garfors writes.

Except, perhaps, in Turkmenistan (#7), where visitors who brave the onerous Soviet-esque visa application process are rewarded with sites like a 50-foot golden statue of former dictator Saparmurat Niyazov in the capital Ashgabat, which rotates throughout the day to face the sun. But the country’s most indisputably impressive site is a massive flaming crater deep in the Karakum Desert. Measuring 230 feet across and almost 70 feet deep, the so-called “Door to Hell” has been burning continuously since Soviet scientists lit it on fire in 1971.

Obscure? Yes. But that's part of the charm."[/b]
http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/least-visited-countries-in-the-world-201146242.html
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Imprida(f): 6:01pm On Mar 30, 2013
Thank goodness nigeria is not included cheesy
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by FXKing2012(m): 6:59pm On Mar 30, 2013
You see, Nigeria is not as bad as people paint it.
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by badmeat(m): 7:22pm On Mar 30, 2013
The republic of arewastan,powered by BH
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by anonymous6(f): 8:05pm On Mar 30, 2013
Imprida: Thank goodness nigeria is not included cheesy

True

FXKing2012: You see, Nigeria is not as bad as people paint it.

That's what came to mind to when I saw this article, maybe with this Nigerians will appreciate Nigeria more, while being critical about the country at the sametime.
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 8:30pm On Mar 30, 2013
My beautiful Nigerian American nurse, anonymous6, is back... grin
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by anonymous6(f): 5:49pm On Apr 29, 2013
shymexx: My beautiful Nigerian American nurse, anonymous6, is back... grin

lol, what do you think about the list
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by slimyem: 6:07pm On Apr 29, 2013
Poor Nauru..undecided

How can anyone think Nigeria so low to be on this list..?
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 8:19pm On Apr 29, 2013
anonymous6:

lol, what do you think about the list

Erm... I don't think Nauru should be on there - that's a very beautiful country...
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 1:08am On Apr 30, 2013
I do wonder how these tables would be affected if a country's political/economical instability wasn't a factor. It's not the country's fault its people make it look bad... Plus I really wanna go DRC without my mum flipping out undecided angry
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 1:16am On Apr 30, 2013
Don't tell me you're also messing with 'em Congo doozies in ldn... undecided undecided

Anyway, that's the richest resource-rich country in the world and I'll like to invest in the mining business over there in future... tongue
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 30, 2013
I studied Human African Trypanosomiasis in the DRC for my dissertation but got told off for being too political. I'd give my life to protecting the natural resources of that country; the Amazon is a losing battle angry

And I mush into most of London's mess smiley [size=3pt]but you won't catch me spraying money to some fake pastor of some fake Congolese "church". And omg them people dress worse than yardies![/size]
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 1:34pm On Apr 30, 2013
Are you into medical sciences? - that's interesting... I honestly thought you studied one of these lousy courses at uni; judging by your posts and your love for fiction and comic books - no offense...

Anyway, don't waste your life protecting the resources and the trillions of dollars worth rare earth metals of Congo... the powers be that would kill anyone just to keep the status quo and the cash-cow(Congo DR), the way it's...
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
None taken. Leaving aside that remark about uni, have you faithfully read a true graphic novel? Around 30% of my collection is fictional (and even in those cases the artwork is outstanding). My latest (non-fictional) graphic novel is "Kiki de Montparnasse"; it is far from child's play smiley

We all know political stability would bring the leeching masses of snakes investors to DRC. Until then, I'll just sit here and be another western hippy-crite that's conflicted between wanting relative peace for the country and wanting the DRC ecosystems to remain raw and untouched undecided
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 30, 2013
I've never been a fan of graphic novels and fictional stuffs... I did a few comic books in pry. and sec. school like: Spider-Man, Wolverine and Nick Fury, The Punisher, X-men, Power Rangers, Super-Man, Silver Surfer etc. - and that's about... I'm more into real life stuffs - that was the way I was raised... However, I've always played video-games/handheld-games all my life - from gameboy, gamegirl, brickgames, familycom, archade games, sega mega, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, PS series, to X-box series... and I'm not stopping any time soon...looool

Anyway, the leeching elites of the almighty bilderberg group have been leeching the country for eons with nothing to show for it... Perhaps, they need people like me(and my investment) out there to save Congo DR from its generational destruction...
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 7:46pm On Apr 30, 2013
Shymexx, bruv, I hate those comics! tongue Seriously, I think you are in the dark ages with this genre, most of the books I have are not fictional at all. They tend to be (auto)biographical in nature. I'm not a major fan of fiction either but I love artwork. Gamegirl lol. I'm an outright Nintendoid with the exception of GTA Vice City and San Andreas. I'm too busy to play nowadays so I get by with my DS and Tetris/Trauma Centre.

We'd done gawn derailed this here thread. Moral of the story, I've given up on any hope of a "greater good" for this world... And Turkmenistan doesn't sound so bad tongue
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by KayDee4: 7:54pm On Apr 30, 2013
shymexx: I've never been a fan of graphic novels and fictional stuffs... I did a few comic books in pry. and sec. school like: Spider-Man, Wolverine and Nick Fury, The Punisher, X-men, Power Rangers, Super-Man, Silver Surfer etc. - and that's about... I'm more into real life stuffs - that was the way I was raised... However, I've always played video-games/handheld-games all my life - from gameboy, gamegirl, brickgames, familycom, archade games, sega mega, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, PS series, to X-box series... and I'm not stopping any time soon...looool

Anyway, the leeching elites of the almighty bilderberg group have been leeching the country for eons with nothing to show for it... Perhaps, they need people like me(and my investment) out there to save Congo DR from its generational destruction...

Gamegirl or Game gear ?
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by KayDee4: 8:04pm On Apr 30, 2013
Imprida: Thank goodness nigeria is not included cheesy

I didn't expect Naija to make the list. The Nigerian economy and tourist attractions will always bring visitors to the country.
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 10:36pm On Apr 30, 2013
Kay-Dee:

Gamegirl or Game gear ?

There was a "gamegirl" in the 90s - it was the pink version of the regular gameboy but it was designed for girls... My sisters had one and I played the heck out of it...

The game gear you were alluding to was the one by sega - never had that, bro..
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 30, 2013
Flytefalls: Shymexx, bruv, I hate those comics! tongue Seriously, I think you are in the dark ages with this genre, most of the books I have are not fictional at all. They tend to be (auto)biographical in nature. I'm not a major fan of fiction either but I love artwork. Gamegirl lol. I'm an outright Nintendoid with the exception of GTA Vice City and San Andreas. I'm too busy to play nowadays so I get by with my DS and Tetris/Trauma Centre.

We'd done gawn derailed this here thread. Moral of the story, I've given up on any hope of a "greater good" for this world... And Turkmenistan doesn't sound so bad tongue

Erm... I'm just more into history books and politics for now...

You need to leave your DS alone and come "shoot" some ProEvo or FIFA with me... tongue

I don't really know about Turkmenistan... I just know it's one of the countries around the oil/gas rich Caspian sea..

Anyway, Aruba is the place to be.... And don't give up on the world...There are millions of disadvantaged people out there that are crying for your help in low voices... I know you can't hear them but they're crying day and night - and hoping you'd listen to them and get them out of their misery... You don't need to change the world, you just need to do whatever you can do to help - and that might ignite/inflame the person that'll change the world...
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 1:04am On May 01, 2013
What became of the Nintendo Game Girl?

In the summer of 1992, Nintendo of Europe announced a new version of its then-stylish Game Boy at a press conference. Codenamed “Persephone” and informally referred to as the “Game Girl”, the machine had only two major differences from the eponymous handheld that was already conquering the pockets of gaming freaks across the planet – it was pink and where the Game Boy logo should have been, it was blank.
http://www.corpsicle.com/?p=149

^^^I had to go dig that out...

Sorry for derailing ya thread, anon.. tongue

Back to topic!
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 1:08am On May 01, 2013
I refuse to play those games with guys. I hate all the meaningless time-wasting involved with setting up one crusty game, just lemme play quickly init angry.

Encouraging words, thank you smiley. Happily, I am healthy and able to exercise a little humanity everyday in and out of work. But it's never going to be enough and I've little faith in politics, so...

*Enter, selfish distractions* grin wink
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 1:15am On May 01, 2013
shymexx:

^^^I had to go dig that out...

Sorry for derailing ya thread, anon.. tongue

Back to topic!
These mythical consoles popping into consciousness, like the Philips CDI I swear I'd dreamt we had when I was younnng! undecided
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 1:18am On May 01, 2013
Erm... Playing games with me is mad, though - and my PS3 is permanently connected to my TV.. I don't even switch it off lol... Add banter, drinks, spicy wings et al to that - and that's gaming Trocadero style.. dun noe.. tongue

It isn't about getting involved in politics per se, it's more about having an understanding of the dynamics of realpolitik... It's all a chess game where the winner takes all - and awareness/consciousness is what separates the sheeple from critical thinkers..
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 1:19am On May 01, 2013
Flytefalls:
These mythical consoles popping into consciousness, like the Philips CDI I swear I'd dreamt we had when I was younnng! undecided

It was released, though... But it never had any logo on it...
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 1:36am On May 01, 2013
shymexx: Erm... Playing games with me is mad, though - and my PS3 is permanently connected to my TV.. I don't even switch it off lol... Add banter, drinks, spicy wings et al to that - and that's gaming Trocadero style.. dun noe.. tongue

It isn't about getting involved in politics per se, it's more about having an understanding of the dynamics of realpolitik... It's all a chess game where the winner takes all - and awareness/consciousness is what separates the sheeple from critical thinkers..
I'm sold @ spicy chicken wings lol.

My opinions are still forming, and I appreciate the direction of thought smiley. And forgive me for sounding dim on this website, it's just a bit of fun. I am not here to brag or impress, just to learn a little bit about modern Nigeria(n's) smiley
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 9:57am On May 01, 2013
Flytefalls:
I'm sold @ spicy chicken wings lol.

My opinions are still forming, and I appreciate the direction of thought smiley. And forgive me for sounding dim on this website, it's just a bit of fun. I am not here to brag or impress, just to learn a little bit about modern Nigeria(n's) smiley

Spicy chicken wings is the world's best kept secret, innit babes? wink KFC, yeah? Oh, my boy brought me in on the microwave spicy wings they sell at Iceland like two weeks ago - and it's heavy as well, truss.. I had to buy like 10 packs and I'll probably go get more today after work... grin

Anyway, I understand where you're coming from... Erm I like your post pattern and how you mix the British sarcasm covertly/overtly with extreme wit... tongue
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 01, 2013
Err... I just remembered this tune by Mr. Vega

Who mi a talk a di one name shellyFlytefally
Dance she a dance an a roll har belly
Gyal inna house nuh time fi mi watch telly
Send mi a red bull an guinness yuh nelly
From mi waan put a hot Bleep pon Kelly
[s]gyal a ring off mi celly
Gyal over gun nuh time fi ask Kelly
Buss dis before matterhorn an ele[/s]

Lmao...

1 Like

Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 01, 2013
ShymexxLion, mi blood seeded H'African bruddah, ah universal chune dat deh. Pull up de chune deh, mek we dash out! cool tongue. You ah reach carnival?

You know, in St Vincent KFC you can get normal pieces of chicken with the spicy coating! Hapzzzz! shocked shocked... And Iceland chicken wings saw me through uni. Once blow torched the edges to get that crispy chewiness I love grin. But the pengestest chicken wings on road right now are Turkish grilled chicken wings. Heard they aren't fronting Turkish food too much down south though embarassed
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 01, 2013
I've not been to the carnival since 2007... I might go if you promise to tag along with me... grin tongue Rasta fi duh sum passa passa dance a carnival wif flytefalls.. dun noe.. tongue

St. Vincent chicken a top top chicken, I need to go there in future... I want to visit the Caribbean but I honestly don't know which country to start with. But Trini and the Bahamas look great, though...

It's sad I wasn't on the Iceland chicken wings hype whilst at Uni... ASDA JA pattie, rustlers burger, cocopops, kebab, curry-goat/mutton/jerk chicken and oven chips got me through uni - I miss dem times there, truss... I had a permanent discount pass at the JA restaurant with the gyaldem in there.. So most times - I just go in there to get free JA food fi mi belly lol.. Do you still miss uni days as well? sad

I moved out of South London a few months ago - repping for Essex meet East ldn, around Lakeside/Barking area right now... They've got loads of Turkish shops down here.. Perhaps, I need to pass through to see if dem Turk-mandem have got something for me...

Erm... Are you jumping on the Ms. NL thingy? You need to jump on that, mate... tongue
Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 8:35pm On May 01, 2013
Pahahaha, passa passa nah go catch mi! grin

The Caribbean is a treasure in itself. Come to St Vincent, take a charter plane to Canouan/union island and work your way north through the Grenadines via boat or plane. I want to do that next time I go... But I'm going Jamaica first for Sunfest and a blue mountain trek grin

Uni days were bliss. What I miss the most is dedicated studying I was able to do around the clock. Library visits past midnight just because I could. Crushing on basketball players and thrashing people in fencing but refusing to join the team. I was the only black blip in my entire class department so kinda had to represent my culture. Got everyone hyped over macaroni cheese and home made fried chicken tongue. My master's year was dry as it was in central London and just the same ole same ole LDN.

I kinda know that part of town... for people watching at Westfields and the Mr Pretzel free samples grin. And no, I'm not jumping on that Ms Nl ting. It's not for me, but I will be clocking the babes cool

Peace bruv! *spud*

1 Like

Re: Least Visited Countries In The World by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 01, 2013
Nah, don't say safe yet... grin Yuh a owe mi a passa passa - durty whine fi mi.. tongue The Caribbean definitely has so many archipelagos worth visiting... I honestly won't mind getting a beach house somewhere over there when I win the lottery hit my first milli.. grin

Everything is getting more fascinating and interesting now... So, what unis did you graduate from? Erm...All the unis in central London are red-brick unis except the rubbish London Met... But you alluded to being the only "black hip" in your entire department, and that automatically crossed London Met off the list... You're a neek, ain't ya? Boi, and I thought I was the shiite because I was the only black "man-yute" from the endz in my class at uni(the other 3 black guys were international students)... Anyway, I represented for the ghetts mandem... tongue

Crushing on basketball players? undecided I played American football and soccer normal football whilst at uni but it's shame my uni has/had only a rugby team and soccer normal football teams... undecided But I still played a few soccer normal football games for the uni...

Err.. You need to come around these sides and enjoy the east side of River Thames with me on a sunny Sunday afternoon... It's fun! I wanna see ya pics, though.. sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gambia Quits Commonwealth / President Putin Hiding His Mistress, Their 4 Kids In A Chalet In Switzerland / U.S. Immigration War: Sanctuary Cities Vs Trump, Mayors In The U.S. Defy Trump.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.