Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,416 members, 7,861,170 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:32 AM

My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here (10448 Views)

Women Are Not To Stand On The Pulpit To Preach. / Is Fornication Really A Sin? / Pre-Marital Sex Is Not Fornication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Pygru: 11:52pm On Apr 03, 2013
alexleo: @Goshen360,
Your teaching on this issue is VERY WRONG. Sex outside marriage(with the due process followed and completed) is a SIN in whatever way you look at it. If two people have in mind to marry and have not gone through the process required for marriage they are not married and can call the relationship a quit anytime at that point without being guilty of divorce. For example, if someone wants to pursue a PHD and he still has it in mind, or has even started the program, he cannot claim to have the PHD until he completes the requirements of the program. You see, i keep saying this- Lets be careful not to give out cheap gospel to people in the name of "Grace period". Cheap gospel is a poison coated with sweetness to deceive the receiver and we need to be very careful with what we are teaching because we shall answer for every soul we deceived with our teachings.
Now, i ll rather not teach at all than to teach and miss heaven because i taught false message. The ones am very sure and convinced about by the Holy Spirit, that i ll teach. I pray the Lord to help you as you continue to study the word. Actually i do present my brethren here before the Lord that he will continue to guide us all aright that we may not deliver a wrong teaching which in turn will deceive anybody and we miss heaven for that. And i hope you guys are praying for me too. I DONT WANT TO MISS HEAVEN FOR ANY REASON. I CHOOSE TO STAND WITH GOD AT ALL TIMES AND IT DOESNT MATTER WHETHER MY FLESH LIKES IT OR NOT. Thats why i like the discussions that have been going on in the religious section in recent past so as to learn from each other. Its obvious we have passed the stage of constant argument with atheists whether God exists or not. The one we are doing now is the one that is more profitable. God bless you.
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Alwaystrue(f): 6:38am On Apr 04, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Not quite. He indeed slept with her before considering marriage to her, but in the context of the Old Testament, @Alwaystrue is completely right.

He had come to redeem her honor by marrying her. From time immemorial, humans have been like that: you corrupt my daughter's purity, you better marry her. Doesn't matter if it was your intent before you did or after you did.

They held that he had made their sister a harlot by sleeping with her without marrying her, intent or the lack of it notwithstanding. And the law that came by Moses corroborated that thought. A husband could demand that his wife be stoned to death because she wasn't a virgin the first night he slept with jer having married her and that singular detail - her not being a virgin - was the reason that she was accused of harlotry not for the number of men she may have slept with or whether she did it for money.

In other words, the Old Testament unequivocally condemned pre-marital sexx in every hue.

Thanks as I was expecting that. @truthislight has been shouting himself hoarse on the scripture in Deut.22:13-22. When the man sleeps with his wife and DISLIKES or HATES her, he can bring wanton charges agaisnt her. The man could as well have slept with her before the wedding and still bring such charges, what would be her proof (to stop such lies) that she was chaste, the tokens of her virginity. How will she be able to show the guy was a liar if she had no tokens to show?

Anyone can read and understand that virginity in Israel was chastity and the husband (not fiancee or intended) was the only one that had the right to disvirgin the bride as there was no measure of how many times a woman had slept with a man outside marriage if not found a virgin hence the word harlot. Virginity was the standard, hence a non-virgin was termed a harlot except she had been raped (if in the city, she must shout as proof it was not my consent, if outside the city, she would still have to say it when she returns so it is on record) or she was widowed and was remarrying to which she ofcourse would not be a virgin. Even I Corinthians 7 said if a man was behaving improperly to his virgin and could cause her disgrace...he should marry her else hold himself. QED.

@Goshen,
I have told you to leave out strong's definition and show us the contextual meaning, is that so hard for you? You have been claiming higher knowledge and saying somethings cannot be said here because people will not understand since yet we have been waiting for the scriptures that will prove how you have made this a doctrine up to the extent you call all the scriptures shown by me as my religious understanding.

Goshen360:

Again, where in that context did you read Paul mentioning VIRGIN? What is wrong with you? Paul simply said what he said to the UNMARRIED AND THE NEXT VERSE WAS TO THE MARRIED. Lemme leave with that again, let me do the word study so we can understand the context.

@Goshen, I can see you are trying every thing possible to claim better knowledge. Did you note that every statement I made was segmented. After I was done with I Corinthians 7:9, That was when I said 'Paul still went on further to say that any unmarried man who is beginning to act improperly or might disgrace his VIRGIN....'? CONTEXT, I was going somewhere so people could understand and the very next biblical quote I gave it was PLAINLY shown there. I have not seen anyone try so hard to negate scriptures like this.

Goshen360:
That word to be incensed means to set yourself in the mood that has to do with mastur.bation. That's very simple and clear. Clearly, Paul is saying to the UNMARRIED, if you cannot control yourself and rather than setting yourself in the mood by mastur.bating, then you should marry. Again, we see masturb.ation as an act of fornication. A sin commited against one's own body.
Really? You got that from strongs again when all you had to do as you are very good at doing was to read all the transaltions?

New International Version
But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

New Living Translation
But if they can't control themselves, they should go ahead and marry. It's better to marry than to burn with lust.

Amplified
But if they have not self-control (restraint of their passions), they should marry. For it is better to marry than to be aflame [with passion and tortured continually with ungratified desire].
shocked

I am very sure your yet to expound the below using your higher understanding was not delibrate
Alwaystrue:
I Corinthians 7:36-38
36 But if any man thinks that he is not acting properly toward and in regard to his virgin [that he is preparing disgrace for her or incurring reproach], in case she is passing the bloom of her youth and if there is need for it, let him do what to him seems right; he does not sin; let them marry.
37 But whoever is firmly established in his heart [strong in mind and purpose], not being forced by necessity but having control over his own will and desire, and has resolved this in his heart to keep his own virginity, he is doing well.

38 So also then, he [the father] who gives his virgin (his daughter) in marriage does well, and he [the father] who does not give [her] in marriage does better.

I Corinthians 7:36-37
36 But if a man thinks that he’s treating his fiancée improperly and will inevitably give in to his passion, let him marry her as he wishes. It is not a sin. 37 But if he has decided firmly not to marry and there is no urgency and he can control his passion, he does well not to marry .

The above is another transalation so you will not need Strongs again.
We are waiting.

Reyginus: Interesting what is happening here. Like someone is trying to redefine what we have in the bible.
+Takes sit+ Good evening brethrens.
No one can redefine the bible. Thank God we have it and I mean the whole bible which was referenced by ALL SCRIPTURES.
Strong's concordance is what some are now pulling their doctrines from instead.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Nobody: 6:55am On Apr 04, 2013
Sorry abt this @Alwaystrue, but whts ur issue exactly with Goshen? It is distasteful & ur bias is nt allowing u 2 c Goshen's point. Frm wht I gather on dis thread, Goshen is amplifying d root word to encompass even ur own definition and 2 present a fuller view.
Wht u r doing is akin to someone rejecting Amplified version & sticking solely to KJV.
D only point of divergence btwn u both is d point where Goshen thinks or infers dt if both of them r pledged to each other then fornication doesn't apply to them. I c Goshen's point but I disagree nonetheless at this point.
So @Alwaystrue, drop ur bias & it might just be clearer
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Candour(m): 8:52am On Apr 04, 2013
Romans 14:16
''Let not then your good be evil spoken of:''

Romans 14:19
''Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace,and things wherewith one may edify another''

in line with the above scriptures,my belief on this issue as i said in the other thread is that if a brother and a sister have decided to marry,why not go ahead to the registry and settle it?in the eyes of the law of the land,you only need 2 witnesses and Jesus said ''render to Caesar what is Ceasar's......''

The bible is so clear on this that we do not need STRONG to tell us.Even if you believe you're at liberty,see what Paul said about liberty

1 Cor 8:9
''But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to them that are weak''

1 Cor 10:23
''All things are lawful for me,but all things are not expedient:all things are lawful for me,but all things edify not''

What will it cost a spirit filled Christian to ''hold body'' and get to a registry to concretize the union before indulging his flesh? The example of a marooned brother and sister was raised.My reply to that is must we go to that extreme to prove this point?how many of us have been marooned on an island before? when we bring up arguments like this,we are no different from lawyers and Pharisees who try to find loopholes to exploit in the law.Why not wait until you are forgotten on an island with your 'intended' before worrying about it?

According to this theory of 'intention to marry',all i need do is convince sister comfort to marry me today,sleep with her and then do same to sister rose next week then sister agatha follows too.

STRONG'S CONCORDANCE is good but it will not replace the bible.My grand mother doesn't speak english,does it mean she's doomed to biblical illiteracy since STRONG has not been translated in my language?

Please for the unmarried among us,if you've seen your mate,just go ahead and legalise it.you dont need to provide rice and drinks for anybody.Go to the registry and settle it.The problem is our modern Christianity that assumes you can't marry until you wear a white gown and suit then stand before a MOG in a fanciful church.You can do it @ home or the court premises.

If you say this to my pagan grand uncle in the village,you'll be very repulsive in his sight and i wonder how the gospel will be preached to him then.

May God help us in our quest for a sweeter and more fulfilling walk with him

5 Likes

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by shdemidemi(m): 9:10am On Apr 04, 2013
Don't kill the brother on this topic.
Fornication is over exalted in the religion, ideally it is wrong in the faith to have premarital sex. But it should not be held higher than any other sin we assume trivial.
Before we base points on what Paul wrote to the Corinthian church we must understand the state of the church at that point in time.
The church was a very bad one: they didn't understand the gospel yet, it was a hot zone for sexual immoralities.
The apostle was not speaking to them spiritually but as carnal cos they were babies in the faith.
We should try to avoid Corinthians or be careful when we use the book for doctrine.

Above all our energy should be on the faithfulness of God, Love towards each other and hope towards the coming of Christ.
Cos as long as we live in this flesh we will fall into one sin or the other.
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Nobody: 9:21am On Apr 04, 2013
Candour: Romans 14:16

''Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace,and things wherewith one may edify another''

in line with the above scriptures,my belief on this issue as i said in the other thread is that if a brother and a sister have decided to marry,why not go ahead to the registry and settle it?in the eyes of the law of the land,you only need 2 witnesses and Jesus said ''render to Caesar what is Ceasar's......''

The bible is so clear on this that we do not need STRONG to tell us.Even if you believe you're at liberty,see what Paul said about liberty

''But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to them that are weak''

''All things are lawful for me,but all things are not expedient:all things are lawful for me,but all things edify not''

What will it cost a spirit filled Christian to ''hold body'' and get to a registry to concretize the union before indulging his flesh? The example of a marooned brother and sister was raised.My reply to that is must we go to that extreme to prove this point?how many of us have been marooned on an island before? when we bring up arguments like this,we are no different from lawyers and Pharisees who try to find loopholes to exploit in the law.Why not wait until you are forgotten on an island with your 'intended' before worrying about it?

According to this theory of 'intention to marry',all i need do is convince sister comfort to marry me today,sleep with her and then do same to sister rose next week then sister agatha follows too.

STRONG'S CONCORDANCE is good but it will not replace the bible.My grand mother doesn't speak english,does it mean she's doomed to biblical illiteracy since STRONG has not been translated in my language?

Please for the unmarried among us,if you've seen your mate,just go ahead and legalise it.you dont need to provide rice and drinks for anybody.Go to the registry and settle it.The problem is our modern Christianity that assumes you can't marry until you wear a white gown and suit then stand before a MOG in a fanciful church.You can do it @ home or the court premises.

If you say this to my pagan grand uncle in the village,you'll be very repulsive in his sight and i wonder how the gospel will be preached to him then.

I totally agree.

I am talking from experience having made mistakes in my life time , it is better to marry than to burn and it is better to do it God's way that our way.

Sex before marriage is wrong no matter how we look at it , and there can be no justification for a continuity in this act.

We need to look for our wives after prayer and marry them after the usual investigation, family interaction and a period of familiarity.

If you like a girl enough to want to have s.ex with her, then be a MAN and also marry her, otherwise you will leave behind a trail of destruction that will not only destroy you spiritually but will come to haunt you one day.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Alwaystrue(f): 9:36am On Apr 04, 2013
frosbel:

I totally agree.

I am talking from experience having made mistakes in my life time , it is better to marry than to burn and it is better to do it God's way that our way.

Sex before marriage is wrong no matter how we look at it , and there can be no justification for a continuity in this act.

We need to look for our wives after prayer and marry them after the usual investigation, family interaction and a period of familiarity.

If you like a girl enough to want to have s.ex with her, then be a MAN and also marry her, otherwise you will leave behind a trail of destruction that will not only destroy you spiritually but will come to haunt you one day.

@Frosbel,
You have said it all as well as @Candor, @shdemidemi, @bobbysworld28 and all others regarding this view on pre-marital sex. Sex oustide marriage is wrong. Self-control is a fruit of the spirit. There is no bias in this and that is what started the whole thread.
I went out of my way to explain, using scriptures, all that was posed on what constitutes marriage, who is the unmarried so all can understand. If I had any bias I would have been calling all sorts of names before now.

There was no hidden agenda as this thread was for Goshen to answer the question since he has kept claiming a higher knowledge and better understanding of his stand.

We have discussed extensively on other topics to which we all showed our stand based on the bible some which were not accepted by the other party and some accepted. The whole idea was for learning and respecting each others beliefs.

If the tables were turned and I or others NOT in the usual crew of those correcting 'regious views' had made the statement that for those intending to marry, or are absolutely sure to marry, their having pre-marital sex is not sin, i would have been labelled all sorts of names by you guys before I was even done with my second post.

Think about that and let that guide how you interact with others, if you can try and shield Goshen as much as this then do not be partial to others as well. Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Adekdammy: 10:01am On Apr 04, 2013
Goshen360: @ OP,

Now my stand on 'fornication'.

Religion had defined fornication as sexxual activity between singles (unmarried) ONLY while adultery as sexxual act outside of marriage other than your spouse. That definition is FALSE! We will go into adultery as we go along but let's limit it to fornication as per the OP.

My stand from my study is, fornication is or includes a whole range of sexxual misconduct not connected to single\unmarried persons ONLY but includes married person(s) who engages in adultery, incest, idolatry, lust, harl.otry or who.re\wh.ore.monger(s), pros.titu.tion, best.iality, homo.sex.ual\lesbia.nism etc depending on the context as used in scriptures.

Now, a single\unmarried person CAN commit fornication depending on any of the above mentioned that he\she engages in BUT the whole definition and meaning of 'fornication' DOES NOT APPLY TO OR EXTEND TO two committed singles who are 'faithful' to one another, committed to marrying one another, love one another and intend to spend the rest of their lives with one another having sort approval from both parents even though they haven't gone through the 'ceremonial' or 'formalized' wedding yet.

CAUTION: Before it gets to this stage, ONE MUST BE ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS IS THE MAN OR THIS IS THE WOMAN FOR HIM\HER otherwise, such will be committing fornication by the act of being a who.re or a who.re.mon.ger. This is because, the act of truly being married is already concluded in their heart and the marriage is just a mere ceremony as the prove of what took place in their heart. I believe God who sees the heart already sees them as married just the ceremony to formalize them. Hence, I do not see these two people committing fornication as the definition and meanings of fornication from scriptures does not extend to them.

That's my stand and we can begin to expand on the above.
sir how are u so sure they will get married, what if one party says he is no longer interested, then it means one party is guilty of fornicatn while the other is not, how come paul says...marriage bed undefiled,thanx.
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 04, 2013
Candour: Romans 14:16

Exactly my point in my response to christemmbassey: @bolded.

It's a rather curious thing to need to use special circumstances to judge ordinary, common, everyday circumstances.
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by okeyxyz(m): 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2013
Mehn dis thread don waka go far oo. you guys threw a carnival in my absence abi??

But just to put in my own token, The fornication we all know/assume today is as defined by the law of Moses rather than as defined by the spirit. It was brought back and made mainstream after the catholic church "absorbed" Christianity and redefined it's values with it's pagan and "LAW" traditions. So today, most people who identify as "christians" still subject themselves to the same laws of moses that christ was supposed to have set them free from.

The law declares as unlawful: sex between a man and woman who are not married, but the spirit says: to him that is pure, all things are lawful. That is, to him who understands the true significance of christ's dying and ressurection, he knows that nothing created by god can be a sin.

@Goshen has been saying that you can have sexx with anybody you have agreed to marry, this is true and allowed as that is as far as his conscience allows him to, but i take further that you don't need marriage or a promise of marriage to have s.ex with anybody, as long as you are both single, "adult", and consenting. Sex is a god-given pleasure to be enjoyed, it is a god nature. All the reference to sexxual immorality in the letters of paul have been misunderstood because you still read them with a mindset of the law rather than of the spirit.

Now anybody who understands this message but wonders why it is an offence to christianity and religion in general, know that it is meant to offend religious people(people of a mindset of the law) and of no value at all to non religious people(atheist, etc). All these reactions have been foretold in scripture so= that you are not surprised or discouraged into thinking you might be wrong but hold strong in your faith.

but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling(offence) block and to Gentiles foolishness(1 Corinthians 1:23 )

The "Jews" above, who are offended, symbolize religious people(people of the law) while "gentiles" represent the non-religious. So if you were of a mindset of he law, then know that the true gospel is meant to offend and go against your most precious morale principles, especially regarding sex. Christ did not come to be at peace with the law but to oppose it. So you must expect conflict and struggles with your old mindset.

Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 “For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW; 36 and A MAN’S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD (Matthew 10:34-36 )

The "father", "Mother" and "Mother-in-law" symbolize the LAW because the law came first while the "son", "daughter", and "daughter-in-law" symbolizes the gospel.

The new testament is full of these messages and insights and you can discern them only with a mindset of the spirit and people with a mindset of the law will hate your message.

They will make you outcasts from the synagogue, but an hour is coming for everyone who kills you to think that he is offering service to God(John 16:2 )
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by okeyxyz(m): 12:16pm On Apr 04, 2013
And before anybody quotes:

Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill(Matthew 5:17 )

Know that christ's death was the fulfillment of the law. The Jesus that lived back then was the personification of the law, therefore his death symbolized the death of the law and it's abolishment. The personality who rose from the death was not the same personality who died. Therefore we do not imitate the lifestyle of that christ of the law but of the new, resurrected christ.

Therefore from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer(2 Corinthians 5:16 )

"flesh" above means human traditions and values as used with the law.
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 04, 2013
okeyxyz: Mehn dis thread don waka go far oo. you guys threw a carnival in my absence abi??

But just to put in my own token, The fornication we all know/assume today is as defined by the law of Moses rather than as defined by the spirit. It was brought back and made mainstream after the catholic church "absorbed" Christianity and redefined it's values with it's pagan and "LAW" traditions. So today, most people who identify as "christians" still subject themselves to the same laws of moses that christ was supposed to have set them free from.

The law declares as unlawful: sex between a man and woman who are not married, but the spirit says: to him that is pure, all things are lawful. That is, to him who understands the true significance of christ's dying and ressurection, he knows that nothing created by god can be a sin.

@Goshen has been saying that you can have sexx with anybody you have agreed to marry, this is true and allowed as that is as far as his conscience allows him to, but i take further that you don't need marriage or a promise of marriage to have s.ex with anybody, as long as you are both single, "adult", and consenting. Sex is a god-given pleasure to be enjoyed, it is a god nature. or everyone who kills you to think that he is offering service to God(John 16:2 )[/color]

Could you show us where it was said that the pleasure of sexx was available to singles?

That is, we know that Scriptures continually restrict sexx to a married pair - one should enjoy sexx without guilt with one's spouse - but where does it say in the Scriptures that sexx was available to single, consenting adults too?
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Nobody: 1:03pm On Apr 04, 2013
okeyxyz: Therefore from now on we recognize no one according to the flesh; even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him in this way no longer(2 Corinthians 5:16 )

"flesh" above means human traditions and values as used with the law.

Is that right? Is that what it always means? Or is it just in that verse that it means that?

Because 'flesh' in the Scriptures tends to mean 'the unregenerated human nature'.

We'll talk about the law again on another thread.
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Nobody: 1:36pm On Apr 04, 2013
@okeyxyz is advocating lawlessness. Choi!
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by okeyxyz(m): 1:53pm On Apr 04, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Could you show us where it was said that the pleasure of sexx was available to singles?

That is, we know that Scriptures continually restrict sexx to a married pair - one should enjoy sexx without guilt with one's spouse - but where does it say in the Scriptures that sexx was available to single, consenting adults too?

Read 1 corinthians 7 again, but this time with a mindset of the spirit that I'm gonna show you here:

fornication\sexual immorality means: illicit sex, ie: sex without consent, either of the woman\man or of her husband\wife. Or sex not given with love, ie: because you feel compelled\required to but your emotions do not agree.

Paul says: it is better not to marry, but you assume he's saying: it is better not to have s.ex. And why is this? Because you still read the new testament with a mindset of the law. It is better not to marry simple means: it is better to have s.ex without marriage. Just as Paul and the apostles where doing. We know they were not married but it can't possibly mean they were not having s.ex. You assume they were not having s.ex because the jesus(of the law) you identify with was not having s.ex. And this is how the catholic papacy(and christianity in general) started to glorify celibacy as holy. This is all "LAW" mentality.

Verse 9 says: But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.: Again with a mindset of the law, you interprete self-control and passion as having to do with s.exual urge. passion in this context simply means negative emotions that might arise in a s.exual relationship, eg; jealousy, bitterness as a result of someone else having access to your sex partner, Therefore rendering the s.exual relationship as unlawful\without consent.

So paul recommends: Because of immorality, Let every man stick to his wife and every woman to her husband(1 Corinthians 7 ). Why would he say so?? It implies that prior to this recommendation, they were actually sharing sex partners but some(or most) were habouring bitterness and jealousy because of this, therefore making it s.exual immorality.

Paul says: It is good for a man not to touch a woman(1 Corinthians 7:1 ): Again you interpret "touch" as s.exual activity. "Touch" simply means to "cling to" or to "possess" a woman, in other words to marry a woman.

If you can apply these insights I give, then you'd be able to see revelation of the "New Testament".
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by okeyxyz(m): 1:59pm On Apr 04, 2013
Bobbysworld28: @okeyxyz is advocating lawlessness. Choi!

Yes!! To people with a mindset of the law: it is lawlessness.

a stumbling block to Jews(1 Corinthians 1:23 )
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by okeyxyz(m): 2:03pm On Apr 04, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Is that right? Is that what it always means? Or is it just in that verse that it means that?

Because 'flesh' in the Scriptures tends to mean 'the unregenerated human nature'.

We'll talk about the law again on another thread.

And what is "unregenerated" human nature if not the same "human traditions and values" I mentioned before??
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 04, 2013
@okey u referred 2 me as a Jew? Ha ha
Bro u r advicating lawlessness by twisting wht Paul said to mean 'hv sex with anyone u agree with'. R u even sane? On a human level it is nt plausible yet u hv d audacity to advocate it 2 d heirs of Salvation while twisting scripture along d way.
Wht u need is either a laying of legs (as in a beat-down) or a brain transplant because arguing this point with u will bring me down to ur twisted level

1 Like

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by OkinawaCal64(m): 3:16pm On Apr 04, 2013
Simple, and to the point. To commit "fornication" to ensure marriage is definitely the wrong approach to a marriage. To believe in such, is to believe what was done in Israel in ancient times, before Christ set the new standard (as he pointed out many time against the old Mosaic Law) is to believe that the Christian Greek Scriptures (New Testament) don't actually apply to anyone.

In your own words, as set at Deuteronomy, it was "humiliating" for the woman. She would have been "stoned" for such an offense. If it wasn't "fornication" and if "fornication" wasn't a action forbidden, why was there a punishment for?

The fact that the "man" would take the "woman" in marriage didn't make "fornication" any less a violation of the Law! Keep in mind, when Jesus Christ taught of this particular subject, as on adultery, he would explain to his disciples, and those listening in, that as it was of "olden days" no longer exists. The reason, "because it was not meant to be so from the beginning." Again, I hold back from applying scriptures in certain postings, like this, because it's better for those reading to look them up. If it's truly important to such people, they will look them up themselves. They are there!

Yes, in "olden days" such was put in place, not necessarily to prevent humiliation, as much as to circumvent the punishment. Why else would it have been done, if fornication has always been forbidden. Also, note that when Joseph found Mary was with child, his first reaction was that she had laid down with someone "outside of marriage" even though they were both already "pledged in marriage." Still, the concern was not just for her humiliation, but the punishment that went along with it. But through the intervention of God's angel, Joseph was soothed and his fears put to rest.

But it was Jesus Christ who set the new standard. And men like his disciples, Paul and others, set them down in writing. Fornication will always be fornication, no matter how man tries to circumvent it!
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Ubenedictus(m): 3:41pm On Apr 04, 2013
Okeyxyz, your teachings are really suspect. On the bolded you really went too far to quote paul out of context.

You guy should explain why anyone who wishes to deny something about christianity will always find a way to tag it with the catholic church.
okeyxyz: Mehn dis thread don waka go far oo. you guys threw a carnival in my absence abi??

[b]The law declares as unlawful: sex between a man and woman who are not married, but the spirit says: to him that is pure, all things are lawful.
That is, to him who understands the true significance of christ's dying and ressurection, he knows that nothing created by god can be a sin.

@Goshen has been saying that you can have sexx with anybody you have agreed to marry, this is true and allowed as that is as far as his conscience allows him to, but i take further that you don't need marriage or a promise of marriage to have s.ex with anybody, as long as you are both single, "adult", and consenting. Sex is a god-given pleasure to be enjoyed, it is a god nature. All the reference to sexxual immorality in the letters of paul have been misunderstood because you still read them with a mindset of the law rather than of the spirit.

Now anybody who understands this message but wonders why it is an offence to christianity and religion in general, know that it is meant to offend religious people(people of a mindset of the law) and of no value at all to non religious people(atheist, etc). All these reactions have been foretold in scripture so= that you are not surprised or discouraged into thinking you might be wrong but hold strong in your faith.

but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling(offence) block and to Gentiles foolishness(1 Corinthians 1:23 )

The "Jews" above, who are offended, symbolize religious people(people of the law) while "gentiles" represent the non-religious. So if you were of a mindset of he law, then know that the true gospel is meant to offend and go against your most precious morale principles, especially regarding sex. Christ did not come to be at peace with the law but to oppose it. So you must expect conflict and struggles with your old mindset.

Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 “For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW; 36 and A MAN’S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD (Matthew 10:34-36 )

The "father", "Mother" and "Mother-in-law" symbolize the LAW because the law came first while the "son", "daughter", and "daughter-in-law" symbolizes the gospel.

The new testament is full of these messages and insights and you can discern them only with a mindset of the spirit and people with a mindset of the law will hate your message.

They will make you outcasts from the synagogue, but an hour is coming for everyone who kills you to think that he is offering service to God(John 16:2 )[/quote]
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Ubenedictus(m): 3:46pm On Apr 04, 2013
okeyxyz:

Read 1 corinthians 7 again, but this time with a mindset of the spirit that I'm gonna show you here:

fornication\sexual immorality means: illicit sex, ie: sex without consent, either of the woman\man or of her husband\wife. Or sex not given with love, ie: because you feel compelled\required to but your emotions do not agree.

Paul says: it is better not to marry, but you assume he's saying: it is better not to have s.ex. And why is this? Because you still read the new testament with a mindset of the law. It is better not to marry simple means: it is better to have s.ex without marriage. Just as Paul and the apostles where doing. We know they were not married but it can't possibly mean they were not having s.ex. You assume they were not having s.ex because the jesus(of the law) you identify with was not having s.ex. And this is how the catholic papacy(and christianity in general) started to glorify celibacy as holy. This is all "LAW" mentality.

Verse 9 says: But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.: Again with a mindset of the law, you interprete self-control and passion as having to do with s.exual urge. passion in this context simply means negative emotions that might arise in a s.exual relationship, eg; jealousy, bitterness as a result of someone else having access to your sex partner, Therefore rendering the s.exual relationship as unlawful\without consent.

So paul recommends: Because of immorality, Let every man stick to his wife and every woman to her husband(1 Corinthians 7 ). Why would he say so?? It implies that prior to this recommendation, they were actually sharing sex partners but some(or most) were habouring bitterness and jealousy because of this, therefore making it s.exual immorality.

Paul says: It is good for a man not to touch a woman(1 Corinthians 7:1 ): Again you interpret "touch" as s.exual activity. "Touch" simply means to "cling to" or to "possess" a woman, in other words to marry a woman.

If you can apply these insights I give, then you'd be able to see revelation of the "New Testament".
goshen, what says you?
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by JeSoul(f): 4:29pm On Apr 04, 2013
okeyxyz: @Goshen has been saying that you can have sexx with anybody you have agreed to marry, this is true and allowed as that is as far as his conscience allows him to, but i take further that you don't need marriage or a promise of marriage to have s.ex with anybody, as long as you are both single, "adult", and consenting.

I'm going to break with my usual spectatorial mode and inject here...also throwing diplomacy to the wind to match the gravity of the quote above. And for whatever my thoughts are worth...I could not in stronger, firmer, and more emphatic terms condemn the above assertion (without condemning bro Okeyxyz) as a serious manipulation of scripture to fit a very twisted ideology on christian virtue and sexuality.

I won't go into scriptures because anyone can use the bible to back up anything - if you twist scripture hard enough it will fit whatever you say. You don't need a bible to tell you sleeping around and "having s.ex with anybody" is ungodly, sharply inconsistent & thoroughly incompatible with Christ-like values. And the very notion of attempting to justify this with scripture is just honestly ridiculous or worse, a deliberate seduction away from basic christian values that is symptomatic of the depraved times we are in.

Professing christians, Ya'll berra shine your collective eyes. And don't use the freedom from Christ, as a license for immorality.

Okeyxyz, please don't construe that^ as an attack. You laid out your beliefs. And in the interest of younger christians reading, witness & balance had to be provided. So that when we all stand before God, there will be no excuse for us all. Especially those of us who added, substracted or performed extrapolations of His otherwise very simple word. Godbless.
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Image123(m): 4:55pm On Apr 04, 2013
This section of the forum is becoming quite dangerous for the average true christian, very poisonous.
Acts 26:24 Ecclesiastics 7:16 James 3:1
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Ubenedictus(m): 5:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
It seems you couldn't help jumping in.
JeSoul:

I'm going to break with my usual spectatorial mode and inject here...also throwing diplomacy to the wind to match the gravity of the quote above. And for whatever my thoughts are worth...I could not in stronger, firmer, and more emphatic terms condemn the above assertion (without condemning bro Okeyxyz) as a serious manipulation of scripture to fit a very twisted ideology on christian virtue and sexuality.

I won't go into scriptures because anyone can use the bible to back up anything - if you twist scripture hard enough it will fit whatever you say. You don't need a bible to tell you sleeping around and "having s.ex with anybody" is ungodly, sharply inconsistent & thoroughly incompatible with Christ-like values. And the very notion of attempting to justify this with scripture is just honestly ridiculous or worse, a deliberate seduction away from basic christian values that is symptomatic of the depraved times we are in.

Professing christians, Ya'll berra shine your collective eyes. And don't use the freedom from Christ, as a license for immorality.

Okeyxyz, please don't construe that^ as an attack. You laid out your beliefs. And in the interest of younger christians reading, witness & balance had to be provided. So that when we all stand before God, there will be no excuse for us all. Especially those of us who added, substracted or performed extrapolations of His otherwise very simple word. Godbless.
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 04, 2013
okeyxyz:

STUFF AND NONSENSE! In other words, you need to define terms and clarify meanings lost over the centuries for the Scriptures to say that sexx is ok for the unmarried.

I'm not JeSoul so I'm not of the same gentle spirit as she is and am not a mod so I am not obliged to be diplomatic. And definitely not when it's dangerous to the Cross of Christ.

The reason this devilish teaching of yours has any kind of power rightnow is that Goshen360 went and fell for it. It is because of the influence he pulls across this forum that I even bothered to give him this platform to clear things up. Or else I really wouldn't have bothered. After all, it was months back that I flagged you particularly as a danger to the Gospel and therefore made a sort of rule never to bother to engage you unless in the event of a situation such as this.

As your post proves, the Scriptures say nothing like what you suggest unless (and even when) we assume the crazy mindset that sexx is ok before marriage.

On the other hand, ah, Scripture is rife with all manner of commendation for the sexxual association of a husband and wife. There is

Drink water from your own cistern,
    running water from your own well.
16 Should your springs overflow in the streets,
    your streams of water in the public squares?
17 Let them be yours alone,
    never to be shared with strangers.
18 May your fountain be blessed,
    and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.
19 A loving doe, a graceful deer—
    may her breasts satisfy you always,
    may you ever be intoxicated with her love.

of Proverbs 5 and

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

of Hebrews 13:4 as well as

But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

However, it matters nothing whether I give one or one hundred witnesses to hardhearted reprobates like yourself, you will always discount them and corrupt them. It is not at all for your benefit that I produce these witnesses but for those who may be fooled by you.

To deny their power all you have to do is to consign them to the Law and I intend to fully deal with you on that very soon. For now, suffice it to say that even though the Law could not make man holy, itself was holy and its job was to ready man for Christ and the work of the Cross.

When Jesus came, He satisfied all the Law's demands and went beyond that to satisfy its spirit as well. His Death on the Cross put an end to the Law in the sense that all those who receive His Life which was released upon the event of His Death and Resurrection receive His merits and have with and in Him satisfied the demands and the spirit of the Law.

Outside of the Lord Christ, the Law still slays. If any Christian should break with the Spirit of Christ in any matter, he will come under the power of the law and be slain by it. Only as we live in the Spirit of Christ, loving one another and loving God, which fruit of this love includes self-control, can we be free of the law.

The New Law is Christ within. And He never contradicts Moses. Rather, He gives Moses life and makes him the believer's ally rather than adversary.

Your teaching is not suspect, @okeyxyz, and it is not a little dangerous. It is overtly antagonistic to the Cross of Christ. And as far as I'm concerned, you don't belong among those saved by that Cross. I have sought for signs that you do for months and you are a hopeless confusion. If you do not sort yourself out with the Lord, the end that awaits you will utterly destroy you.

6 Likes

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by cyrexx: 6:48pm On Apr 04, 2013
Let me chip in this.

The bible is an interesting book, because both team Okeyxyz and team Ihedinobi are equally "right" since both teams are able to "prove" their contrasting viewpoint quoting from the same bible and "rightly divide the word of truth" .

Makes perfect sense.

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by alexleo(m): 7:26pm On Apr 04, 2013
ApostlePat: i think the error of goshen is that he knows but should have kept it to himself.not everyone can stand this type of sayings. maybe u need need to mature at before you say somethings or just keep it to yourself.so hel p you god

YOU LIED. Look, God in his infinite love and mercy for us made Goshen360 to make this open so that he will be corrected and saved from this deceit of the enemy. My friend stop defending or deceiving Goshen360. HE IS VERY WRONG AND GOD WANTS HIM TO BE CORRECTED SO THAT HE WONT CONTINUE TO SPREAD THIS FALSE TEACHING AND MISS HEAVEN AT LAST BECAUSE OF IT. BE WISE.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by debosky(m): 7:39pm On Apr 04, 2013
This issue is simple, and I will try to paraphrase what I believe Goshen is saying:

By making reference to committed male and female who have committed to get married, and their parents have also consented as not committing fornication, he simply means those individuals are already effectively married, regardless of whether a 'formal' ceremony has occurred or not.

Hence they are not committing fornication in the strictest sense of its biblical usage. This is because they have, to all intents and purposes (minus the 'ceremony') committed themselves to each other - and with their parents' consent.

As a precaution, of course it's reasonable to wait to 'formalise' before sexx, but it is not necessary, just as it isn't necessary (in my view) to wait for 'church' wedding if you've had a traditional wedding for example. Once you've secured parental consent, the marriage is active in my view.

Ultimately the 'determination' of when one is married is, in my view, one that happens between the man and woman. All the other 'formalities' - registry certificate, church wedding, traditional ceremony, etc. are all means to 'protect' people from those that would seek to abuse trust by falsely claiming to 'intend' to marry only to secure sexual favours. It is not those ceremonies, certificates, etc. that 'marry' the individuals, it is the decision taken before that which is only 'formalised'.

In the end, if you do not understand/agree with this view and choose to place greater emphasis on the precautions, then it's perfectly acceptable.

May God continue to teach us and lead us into greater understanding of his word.

3 Likes

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Goshen360(m): 9:38pm On Apr 04, 2013
Brothers & Sisters,

Well, to be very sure and clear, I do not endorse Okeyxyz's stand\position on "having sexx with anybody" as that will constitute fornication by the act of who.re.\who.re.mon.ger(s) from the meanings I presented - I'd made my position clear enough on this matter. I don't think anybody should mis-interprete my position with that of Okeyxyz's stand.

Some\many of you here are against my stand, as that's okay & fine by me but none did proved otherwise. Many of us knows what we know because that was what was told to us and held to be true. I have given my stand on what I have taken time to search out, if it comes to you as my error, it is up to you to reject it as error because you believe so and hold on to what you're sure to be true.

Thank y'all
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 04, 2013
debosky: This issue is simple, and I will try to paraphrase what I believe Goshen is saying:

By making reference to committed male and female who have committed to get married, and their parents have also consented as not committing fornication, he simply means those individuals are already effectively married, regardless of whether a 'formal' ceremony has occurred or not.

Hence they are not committing fornication in the strictest sense of its biblical usage. This is because they have, to all intents and purposes (minus the 'ceremony') committed themselves to each other - and with their parents' consent.

As a precaution, of course it's reasonable to wait to 'formalise' before sexx, but it is not necessary, just as it isn't necessary (in my view) to wait for 'church' wedding if you've had a traditional wedding for example. Once you've secured parental consent, the marriage is active in my view.

Ultimately the 'determination' of when one is married is, in my view, one that happens between the man and woman. All the other 'formalities' - registry certificate, church wedding, traditional ceremony, etc. are all means to 'protect' people from those that would seek to abuse trust by falsely claiming to 'intend' to marry only to secure sexual favours. It is not those ceremonies, certificates, etc. that 'marry' the individuals, it is the decision taken before that which is only 'formalised'.

In the end, if you do not understand/agree with this view and choose to place greater emphasis on the precautions, then it's perfectly acceptable.

May God continue to teach us and lead us into greater understanding of his word.

Marriage is simple. Someone gives a woman to a man and the two bind themselves to each other by covenant.

The flamboyance and noise and everything is a question of taste and wealth. But there is no marriage at all until the actual covenant has been made and with the consent of the families involved.

Any other thing, bar special circumstances, is fornication.

1 Like

Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Enigma(m): 10:05pm On Apr 04, 2013
@Goshen360

If a man and woman commit to one another and decide to marry, then start sleeping with each other, then something happens and they do not get married?

How do we look at the situation?

Later on, if either of them finds another person and they too decide to get married, can they start sleeping with one another?

Bear in mind, that I am very aware of the difficulties of interpretation of both the Greek 'porneia' and the English 'fornication'!

smiley
Re: My Brother Goshen, Please Explain Your Stand On Fornication Here by Goshen360(m): 10:17pm On Apr 04, 2013
Enigma: @Goshen360

If a man and woman commit to one another and decide to marry, then start sleeping with each other, then something happens and they do not get married?

How do we look at the situation?

Later on, if either of them finds another person and they too decide to get married, can they start sleeping with one another?

Bear in mind, that I am very aware of the difficulties of interpretation of both the Greek 'porneia' and the English 'fornication'!

smiley

^ Well, the bold in RED is the reason why some\many thinks I teach error on this subject. However, to your question, I covered that in my first response as quoted below.

Goshen360:

[size=3pt]Now my stand on 'fornication'.

Religion had defined fornication as sexxual activity between singles (unmarried) ONLY while adultery as sexxual act outside of marriage other than your spouse. That definition is FALSE! We will go into adultery as we go along but let's limit it to fornication as per the OP.

My stand from my study is, fornication is or includes a whole range of sexxual misconduct not connected to single\unmarried persons ONLY but includes married person(s) who engages in adultery, incest, idolatry, lust, harl.otry or who.re\wh.ore.monger(s), pros.titu.tion, best.iality, homo.sex.ual\lesbia.nism etc depending on the context as used in scriptures.

Now, a single\unmarried person CAN commit fornication depending on any of the above mentioned that he\she engages in BUT the whole definition and meaning of 'fornication' DOES NOT APPLY TO OR EXTEND TO two committed singles who are 'faithful' to one another, committed to marrying one another, love one another and intend to spend the rest of their lives with one another having sort approval from both parents even though they haven't gone through the 'ceremonial' or 'formalized' wedding yet.[/size]

CAUTION: Before it gets to this stage, ONE MUST BE ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS IS THE MAN OR THIS IS THE WOMAN FOR HIM\HER otherwise, such will be committing fornication by the act of being a who.re or a who.re.mon.ger. [size=3pt]This is because, the act of truly being married is already concluded in their heart and the marriage is just a mere ceremony as the prove of what took place in their heart. I believe God who sees the heart already sees them as married just the ceremony to formalize them. Hence, I do not see these two people committing fornication as the definition and meanings of fornication from scriptures does not extend to them. That's my stand and we can begin to expand on the above. [/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court / The Tree Of Life And The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil. / Why Do Christians Hate Homosexuals If God Created Them That Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 195
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.