Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court (10402 Views)

Sfiso Ncwane Buys Car For Francis Anosike, Nigerian Pastor For Healing Him (pics / How To Be A Nigerian Pastor – By Segun Dada / Pastor Tb Joshua's Church Being Investigated By Uk Health Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Golders: 11:24pm On Jul 17, 2010
Erastus Akingbola’s N28bn assets frozen by UK court

By Kingsley Ighomwenghian, Finance Editor, Lagos (With Agency Report)

Intercontinental Bank on Tuesday won round one in its legal battle in the United Kingdom where a court froze assets worth £83 million (N27.816 billion) belonging to Erastus Akingbola, the bank’s former Managing Director.

About two weeks ago, federal Attorney General and Justice Minister, Bello Adoke, had written to the British Government seeking the extradition of Akingbola, who fled to London immediately after his sack over alleged mismanagement of the bank he co-founded 20 years ago.

He and seven other bank MDs, were sacked last year, together with their Executive Directors, among others, by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) based on an audit.

He is now wanted in Nigeria to face charges of mismanagement, resulting in the bank having non-performing loans worth an estimated N700 billion.

Intercontinental Bank won the global freeze in a lawsuit accusing Akingbola of using the bank’s money to help buy apartments in London and enrich entities he controlled.

The bank got the court’s permission to add new claims to the case, alleging that Akingbola wrongfully directed the lender to buy its own shares, resulting in a loss.

The money, the bank alleged, was “misappropriated by the defendant and is due to the claimant,” adding that he used the money in “breach of fiduciary duty.”

Akingbola’s counsel, Ed Crosse, of Osborne Clarke in London, declined comment when approached by Bloomberg.

But the defence papers filed March 19 argued that the alleged transactions were either valid or were mischaracterised in the lawsuit.

“Those claims are false, and have been made by the bank without any sincere belief that they are true,” Akingbola stated in the filing.

Another lawyer of his, Segun Osuntokun, of Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP in London, also declined comment.

The British Home Office is yet to respond to Nigeria’s request for Akingbola’s extradition, which Abuja wants granted in the interest of justice.

Adoke’s letter, dated July 1, said the request “is made pursuant to the Extradition Act (Designation of Part 2 Territories) Order 2003 (SI2003 No.3334) of the United Kingdom.

“Nigeria avails itself of this opportunity to renew to the central authority of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland the assurances of its highest regards and reciprocity.

“Akingola is charged with a 28-count charge for offences of financial misappropriation, money laundering, financial malpractices, corrupt practices, and other related offences at the Federal High Court Lagos.”

The request was supported with an affidavit deposed to by a Deputy Superintendent at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Rita Ibeakaku.

A certification was also attached, signed by Senior State Counsel in the Justice Ministry, Ahmed Almakura.

Justice Tijani Abubakar of the Federal High Court in Lagos had last December ordered the freezing of the accounts of Akingbola for total financial offences amounting to N346 billion and £10 million.

Also frozen by the court pending the final determination of the case, are the accounts belonging to Akingbola’s wife, his companies and agents.

AND THIS ERASTUS AKINGBOLA IS AN ORDAINED MINISTER IN THE REDEEMED CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF GOD? AM THOROUGHLY GOBSMACKED!
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Pimpu(m): 11:57pm On Jul 17, 2010
u never see anytin,untill t ba ,
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Dolemite(f): 12:02am On Jul 18, 2010
WOW 83 million pounds. . .for one man? in a country that more than 80 percent of it's people live under a dollar a day? when will Nigerians remove the evil veil from their eyes called religion?
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by honeric01(m): 12:10am On Jul 18, 2010
Is Erastus Akingbola a pastor or an EX-bank CEO? whats with people self trying to use any medium to talk trash against Christianity?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Golders: 12:29am On Jul 18, 2010
honeric01:

Is Erastus Akingbola a pastor or an EX-bank CEO? whats with people self trying to use any medium to talk trash against Christianity?

Which planet are you from, honeric01, that you're asking this question? It's a very well known fact that Erastus Akingbola is an ordained pastor in the RCCG and an EX-bank CEO! Speaking of trashing Christianity, it's not rocket science that many a Christian trash Christianity by their despicable and shameful deeds and actions.
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by honeric01(m): 12:41am On Jul 18, 2010
Golders:

Which planet are you from, honeric01, that you're asking this question? It's a very well known fact that Erastus Akingbola is an ordained pastor in the RCCG and an EX-bank CEO! Speaking of trashing Christianity, it's not rocket science that many a Christian trash Christianity by their despicable and shameful deeds and actions.

He's majorly known as a banker and not a pastor so why try to use his minor calling to describe him just because it's now a negative news?

Anyone can be a pastor at redeem.
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Golders: 12:50am On Jul 18, 2010
WHAT AN A$$HOLE YOU'RE FOR DEFENDING THE INDEFENSIBLE!
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by honeric01(m): 1:16am On Jul 18, 2010
Golders:

WHAT AN A$$HOLE YOU'RE FOR DEFENDING THE INDEFENSIBLE!

hope u enjoyed the undeserved attention i gave u?
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Okijajuju1(m): 1:35am On Jul 18, 2010
The truth is simple. He is a Pastor who worked in a Bank.

Thak makes him a thieving pastor.
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by bawomolo(m): 3:03am On Jul 18, 2010
Okija_juju:

lol
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Tudor6(f): 11:48am On Jul 18, 2010
And Daddy GOat Adeboye of redeemed was all too happy to receive the stolen funds. . .praise the lawd
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by anonimi: 1:36pm On Jul 18, 2010
honeric01:

He's majorly known as a banker and not a pastor so why try to use his minor calling to describe him just because it's now a negative news?

Anyone can be a pastor at redeem.

maybe we should just stick with the bold part, which BTW applies in most naija churches, mosques and society at large i.e. honour is given to the rich no matter how they got the money.

Erastus Akingbola's personal web page clearly states in the last paragraph:

He is God-fearing indeed a practicing Christian, theologist and Pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of Nigeria.

I wonder which part of Christ's gospel taught him to steal people's lifetime savings and investments to make big-man-by-force
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by nuclearboy(m): 2:06pm On Jul 18, 2010
Where are the prosperity merchant slaves -> joagbaje and image123; to come justify this fake fraudulent lying pen-robber? 3 years back, they'd be by now hyperventilating on this thread saying "touch not my anointed". Three years from now, they will hide in shame when yaps yaks and coy too are exposed.

Another thieving business MOG ends up where it is logical that thieves end. Sadly, God's Name is muddied because of morons who made them untouchable and unquestionable. If we cleaned house ourselves, would this rubbish have been allowed to happen? Wouldn't we have kicked the thief's butt out long ago ourselves so people know Christianity doesn't harbor such? Abi the Apostles allowed such?

I wonder when people will start realising these people are an indication of themselves and NOT of belief in Christ.
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 18, 2010
Okija_juju:

According to ur post, he operated as a pastor banker, which doesnt qualify him as a full time pastor like Adefarasin,Oyedepo, oritsajafor, Bakare Chris etc who all operates in the vineyard almost all hours in the day.
Based on this, i reckon that pple like akingbola may never have same orientation as those of full time men of God.
NB
Im not making a case for unethical things but IMO would like us to understand&separate Part time, Honourary position & full time pastoring. In most churhes,mosques, &other societal association, rich pple are given high titles& position cos of their contributions.
Erastus might have been a pastor, a theologian etc but the mere fact that he worked mostly as a Banker&saw money, He definitely must have been tempted&opted to act dishonourably &did immoral things.
Some men of God still condemns such, only that some members wouldnt listen.
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Tudor6(f): 5:49pm On Jul 18, 2010
^^
Lame excuse.
Why seperate anything??
A christian is a christian and should act like one. There is nothing like titles in the kingdom of god and for your pastor adeboye to give a man pastor because of his deep pockets is just shameful and shows how greedy he is.
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 18, 2010
Hasty response.
There are different categories of pple on earth. Even so called graduates.some are half baked whilst others are graduates that can defend their certificates. Same applies to christianity. We have some ignorant folks amongst them. If judas a member of the 12 could betray his leader,then we shouldnt be suprised if Erastus did similar to Adeboye. As God didnt command solomon to worship idols&take concubines,IMO i dnt think Adeboye would have encouraged Erastus to act unethically. Therefore as we have good xtians,so we have bad ones. Christians dont act/reason in same way in some situations
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by honeric01(m): 8:44pm On Jul 18, 2010
toba:

Hasty response.
There are different categories of pple on earth. Even so called graduates.some are half baked whilst others are graduates that can defend their certificates. Same applies to christianity. We have some ignorant folks amongst them. If judas a member of the 12 could betray his leader,then we shouldnt be suprised if Erastus did similar to Adeboye. As God didnt command solomon to worship idols&take concubines,IMO i dnt think Adeboye would have encouraged Erastus to act unethically. Therefore as we have good xtians,so we have bad ones. Christians dont act/reason in same way in some situations

Thank u.

the problem i have with some people is that most of them never knew this man as a "pastor" when he was yet to be caught as a fraudster or criminal, all of a sudden, he's being called a pastor just because he's been caught or indicted. this is where i dislike about some Nigerians and the toothpick media houses.
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Golders: 9:02pm On Jul 18, 2010
[b]It's appalling that some conjecture on this thread that it's fine to do dirty, dishonest, shady deals during the weekdays in their secular calling (e.g. banking) and on Sundays "pretend" to be godly, pious, religious, spiritual, and holy person (as Erastus Akingbola has ostensibly done) is beyond me. But, this is precisely what happens in Nigeria. People who identify with a religious tradition or the other are the same set of people perpetuating all sorts and conditions of crime. These people therefore bring their religious tradition to the mud.

The earliest preacher/pastor (or whatever title you wish to ascribe to him) in the Christian church, who also had a secular job is Paul the Apostle. Paul was not only a preacher, teacher, and the author of the highest number of canonised Epistles in the New Testament, but also a tent-maker (a builder). In both worlds (sacred/church and secular/tent-making), Paul didn't live a double life. In other words, he wasn't a rouge at work and preacher at church. A preacher (be it a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish or Hindu) who cannot live-out whatever  s/he preaches in her/his day to day life wherever that may be (secular jobs, homes, families, etc) is not fit to be a preacher. Otherwise, he would be a "do what I say and not what I do" preacher. It's irrelevant whether or not Erastus Akingbola is a honorary, part time pastor. The reality is that he's a pastor. The most disheartening thing is that Erastus Akingbola is not only a pastor in the RCCG, but also one of Pastor Adeboye's right hand man. This, in my own thinking, speaks volume about the man Adeboye himself. [/b]
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 18, 2010
Golders who supported erastus' actions on this thread?
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Tudor6(f): 7:30am On Jul 19, 2010
honeric01:

Thank u.

the problem i have with some people is that most of them never knew this man as a "pastor" when he was yet to be caught as a fraudster or criminal, all of a sudden, he's being called a pastor just because he's been caught or indicted. this is where i dislike about some Nigerians and the toothpick media houses.
Was he not a pastor??
Why exactly are you crying?
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by honeric01(m): 8:17am On Jul 19, 2010
Tudór:

Was he not a pastor??

Sorry, but were you saying something
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 19, 2010
my point is very clear and simple.

erastus is a pastor might be a part time of full time yet that is not a justification that he should act unethical. The bible is displeased with such evil acts, more so from pple close to the altar.

However i reckon that if he were to be a full time i.e spends most of his times in the church unlike in the bank, he may not have done such( still on probability though)

The key thing is leave Pastor adeboye out of it. Unless it can be proven that Akingbola actually made his intentions known to adeboye and adeboye encourage him to continue. Being made a Pastor by RCCG might be based on his antecedent of trustworthiness. That he change and acted otherwise shouldnt be blamed on Adeboye or the RCCG

Note: im not a Member of RCCG only speaking from a neutral view point.
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Tudor6(f): 8:54am On Jul 19, 2010
honeric01:

Thank u.

Was he not a pastor??
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by nuclearboy(m): 9:33am On Jul 19, 2010
@Toba:

We are Christians and should not support Error. The Word tells us the character of one who would be a Bishop and it is not ambigious about it. Lets leave the stories and realise that we dishonor the God we claim to worship when we seek excuses for lies and folly. What you are saying here is that Adeboye did not know his true character. What your audience is saying is that Adeboye SHOULD have known his character before making him a pastor especially since he was close to him. THEY ARE RIGHT.

Judas was an exemption as he was needed for the purpose of betrayal and Jesus said as much BEFORE it happened. Did Adeboye do same? Do you remember the other RCCG pastor who died and then EFCC found 7 Billion in his account? BTW, that same dude was married to two women. Is that right? What we ought do is clean our house OURSELVES else we dishonor God. NONE of us is 100% clean (Me, I'm like 0.05% clean) but if you know you cannot take the heat, keep away from the limelight.

These people are right and its God's Name we are ridiculing when we find excuses for error. Or do you see the Apostles supporting such in the Bible?
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by manmustwac(m): 10:38am On Jul 19, 2010
If Pastor Adeboye is recieving large amounts of money from any member of his congregation {especially a banker who just happens to be the Mananging Director of Intercontinental Bank} he should be suspicious and question the source of the money and even refuse to accept it if he suspects it came via corruption or fraud. But our dear Pastor who as far as am concerned is a typical nigerian at heart dosen't give a damn. Afterall isn't it people like Erastus Akingbola who provided the funds for Adeboye to buy his priate jet?
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 19, 2010
@ nuclearboy

Pls dont mix things up.

Is Adeboye all knowing? his he not a man like us? If erastus pretended to be saint and did acted holy before being confirmed a pastor would Adeboye have known?

I would give u biblical eg of such occurrences
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by PastorAIO: 11:02am On Jul 19, 2010
toba:

@ nuclearboy

Pls dont mix things up.

Is Adeboye all knowing? his he not a man like us? If erastus pretended to be saint and did acted holy before being confirmed a pastor would Adeboye have known?

Biblical examples please. I would love to see them. Where someone guided by the spirit picks the wrong person for an anointing. Old testament or New?
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by nuclearboy(m): 11:10am On Jul 19, 2010
@Toba:

Re-read my post. I said they believe Adeboye should have known before making him a pastor.

I do not know you, Toba, but just from reading what you write, I have an idea of how sincere you are - I know you don't want anyone saying rubbish about Christ etc. Yet I do not know you. The Bible says Apostles required that anyone who was to be made a Bishop had to be a husband of one wife, responsible etc. In effect, those who were making him so MUST ensure he was worthy.

In that, Pastor Adeboye failed! They were close, they knew each other for long before he made him pastor and thus anyone looking from outside will believe it was just the money! Why? Because the Bible they are following does not say this is an issue you can play with - A bishop MUST BE so & so! Can you blame them? I'm sorry but you cannot!

Who we can blame is the person who did not do his homework well enough before making him a pastor. That is not condemnation since we are not throwing him in hell for that. We're just saying "ok, he made a mistake, finish". Let us stop passing the buck and accept error when wrong. It will move us forward. Supporting christians when they are wrong is supporting error. It is NOT worthy!
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Tudor6(f): 11:21am On Jul 19, 2010
toba:

@ nuclearboy

Pls dont mix things up.

Is Adeboye all knowing? his he not a man like us? If erastus pretended to be saint and did acted holy before being confirmed a pastor would Adeboye  have known?

This is lame. . .

Is it not Adeboye who claims to have the holy spirit? Adeboye also claims to literarily eat breakfast of bread and milo with god. The same crook claims to discuss one on one with god when shitting in the toilet.

Now you want us to believe he doesnt know?? Yea rite

isnt it obvious this adeboye man is a scam artist just interested in lining his pockets and has no problem whatsoever appointing whatever crook like erastus to his alter as long as they tithe and offer their lootings to him.
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by tkb417(m): 11:25am On Jul 19, 2010
Pastor AIO
dont be in a haste to post things

maybe you have forgotten that Judas Iscariot was a disciple of our Lord Jesus

oh yeah, Judas was a cog in the wheel of Jesus.

Maybe you have also forgotten the famous Priest Eli in the bible whose children (hophni and Phinehas) not sure of spellings were so ungoldly they were also at cross purposes with what their father was preaching.

Have u also forgotten King Saul?
he was commanded by God not to take the spoils of war and after conquering the war, he took some of the things God commanded him not to take and oh yeah the spirit of God left him

Im sure you can remember what samuel said about the spirit of disobedience

I am not justifying what Akingbola did cos to me, he should be sent to Kirikiri for life for not only defrauding the bank but for also bringing Xtianity into disrepute. My point is, being called a Pastor doesnt guarantee anything and i according to the bible, not all those who call me God will see the kingdom of God. So pls refrain from attaching his evil deeds to The G.O

thanks
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by tkb417(m): 11:27am On Jul 19, 2010
In that, Pastor Adeboye failed! They were close, they knew each other for long before he made him pastor and thus anyone looking from outside will believe it was just the money! Why? Because the Bible they are following does not say this is an issue you can play with - A bishop MUST BE so & so! Can you blame them? I'm sorry but you cannot!
So Jesus failed for taking Judas as his discipile?

he should have known Judas was gonna betray him
Re: Nigerian Pastor's N28bn Assets Frozen By Uk Court by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 19, 2010
nuclearboy:

@Toba:

Who we can blame is the person who did not do his homework well enough before making him a pastor. That is not condemnation since we are not throwing him in hell for that. We're just saying "ok, he made a mistake, finish". Let us stop passing the buck and accept error when wrong. It will move us forward. Supporting christians when they are wrong is supporting error. It is NOT worthy!
\
I still donot agree with u. if sanusi didnt unravel the misery that led to the sacking of the bank chiefs would anyone have said anything about pastor this or that? And what if it happened through another church would u still have blamed the G.O?

Elisha in the bible had a covetous servant in Gheazi who went to collect money from naaman. Can anyone blame elisha for the action of his servant?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jesus Is Not God – Reno Omokri / Church Offers Prayer Space For Muslim Community / 8 Important Ways We Can Be Delivered Totally From Sins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.