Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,100 members, 7,825,481 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System (2975 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by boro43(m): 6:49pm On Apr 02, 2008
PLS HOW CAN I CONVERT MY VISTA OPERATING SYSTEM TO XP OPERATING SYSTEM. CALL ME ON THIS NO 017641915 OR 08058533123. OR EMAIL ayocelestine2003@yahoo.com. pls it is urgent.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Neoteny(m): 10:23pm On Apr 02, 2008
first, disable your caps-lock cos it seems like you are screaming your head off.

dont really know what you mean 'convert' but if you want to get rid of vista and live on xp, just pop your xp cd in the drive, boot from it and delete the vista partition. create a new raw partition and format it as NTFS. then install xp there as normal.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 03, 2008
I beleive the only reason you want to convert your Vista to XP is because of software/hardware incompatibility. As some internet cards or some other softwares don't work with Vista, thus the need for XP.

I bought my Notebook on Vista and I just converted to XP because of some issues, as Vista is too hard to flex with. I took it back to COmputer village and gave an Engineer 2k to convert it to XP, thats all.

You need a systems engineer to convert is, as its a bit complex. If you ever try booting an XP CD urself, you would regret is as you would definitely lose system drivers.
A systems engineer would configure it for you and after the installation, the drivers will be installed and you're free to go. smiley
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 03, 2008
before you even start to think about doing that, let us know the model and manufacturer of your system.

not all laptops with vista can be successfully downgraded. eg HP laptops preconfigured with vista, can be downgraded to xp but you will not find USB drivers.

before you go overboard, try downloading vista sp1. your compatibility issues may have been addressed.

go to the manufacturers site for your system. i'm assuming its a laptop. search and confirm that it has xp drivers. download these and save them somewhere. then you can install xp using an xp cd. note that you need a cracked version, or you'll have activation issues. after this
install the drivers.

if your system has no xp drivers, then downgrading to xp IS  not a good idea.

NOTE: i am not a fan of vista, but i beleive a lot of the 'issues' have to do more with ignorance than actual issues. whenever some peeps have virus infactions, you hear a lot of advisers yelling FORMAT! in tyhe same way, when you see peeps with vista problems you often hear peeps yelling INSTALL XP!!!
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Neoteny(m): 11:52am On Apr 03, 2008
@jassie

you don't need no "systems engineer" (technicians really) to downgrade. if its drivers we assume you already have backups otherwise thats careless. if you don't, get Driver Magician Lite (its free) backup your drivers and happily format. when done reinstall drivers from backup location via device manager. easy as ABC.

oyb:

before you even start to think about doing that, let us know the model and manufacturer of your system.

not all laptops with vista can be successfully downgraded. eg HP laptops preconfigured with vista, can be downgraded to xp but you will not find USB drivers.

before you go overboard, try downloading vista sp1. your compatibility issues may have been addressed.

go to the manufacturers site for your system. i'm assuming its a laptop. search and confirm that it has xp drivers. download these and save them somewhere. then you can install xp using an xp cd. note that you need a cracked version, or you'll have activation issues. after this
install the drivers.

if your system has no xp drivers, then downgrading to xp IS  not a good idea.

NOTE: i am not a fan of vista, but i beleive a lot of the 'issues'  have to do more with ignorance than actual issues. whenever some peeps have virus infactions, you hear a lot of advisers yelling FORMAT! in tyhe same way, when you see peeps with vista problems you often hear peeps yelling INSTALL XP!!!

not true. i have a little-used HP pavillion DV 5000 and i just downgraded yesterday because of Office printer issues. USB works well because USB controller drivers are generic standard and come prebundled in XP and Vista. the same drivers work for both vista and xp whatever the system. USB is one thing you don't need to download drivers for unless you are using  add-on device like mobile phones, bluetooth devices that do not conform to  the built in windows xp service pack 2 bluetooth stack and certain cameras that require their own USB drivers to interface with software.

there is nothing to stop you from downgrading vista on ANY machine as long as that machine understands the Fat32 file format (which is most systems).
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Nobody: 1:00pm On Apr 03, 2008
well a friend downgraded his hp compaq - i forget the system model . the usb ports did not work, and we COULD not find USB drivers for his system. a visit to the site informed us that no xp drivers were available
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by pein(m): 1:07pm On Apr 03, 2008
oyb:

well a friend downgraded his hp compaq - i forget the system model . the usb ports did not work, and we COULD not find USB drivers for his system. a visit to the site informed us that no xp drivers were available

never heard that before!like Neoteny said USB drivers are universal so he shoudn't have had any problems,xcept maybe he used ne of them famous CDs from comp villa grin
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by uspry1(f): 1:20pm On Apr 03, 2008
Here is the following link how to install Windows XP on pre-installed Windows Vista computer step-by-step at below:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/install-windows-xp-on-your-pre-installed-windows-vista-computer/

Good luck!
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Neoteny(m): 3:18pm On Apr 03, 2008
its very common for USB ports to fail. one, buildup of static electric charge is the most common, and can burn your USB device particularly these knockoff flashdrives. in this case your usb will appear not to work.

two, there may be a genuine hardware failure or a glitch on the connectors.

and contrary to popular belief, removing a flashdrive without first ejecting will harm neither your system port nor the flashdrive bar those cheap china clones i mentioned. why? because by default write caching is turned off in windows and you only need to safely remove via ejecting only when write caching is manually turned on via the system properties of the drive. most people believe removing without first ejecting can harm the USB port, however don't do this for phones and other non-drive devices. be advised though that removing in the middle of a transfer will harm your data and probably the device.

summary: every install of windows from windows 98 SE upwards come with support for USB. just go to device manager after any install and you will see the drivers for the controller preinstalled. it comes with windows installation.

USB is part of the Plug and Play platform. it is a standard.

as for formatting, its the best way to ensure your system is completely clean of malware and software glitches.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 03, 2008
you still do not want to understand.we were dual booting vista and xp on the system, and the usb ports worked in vista.

as to your belief that downgrading to xp is as simple as 'using the windows XP CD) 

http://www.zyxware.com/articles/2008/03/12/compaq-presario-v3754tu-laptop-driver-for-windows-xp

Compaq Presario V3754TU is another model laptop from HP-Compaq. It is an Intel based machine with configuration as given here - - Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1.67Ghz, 160GB Harddisk Drive, 1GB DDR2 Ram, 14.1” Widescreen, DVD+/-RW Double Layer Drive, Built in Card Reader and Webcam, 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth and it comes with FreeDOS. If you are planning to install Windows XP, you need require drivers for configuring different hardware. Drivers for Windows Vista are available at the company's website. Here are links for drivers for this laptops for Windows XP.
These laptops are designed to work with Vista. The driver given below are for XP, but they are not tested properly. Nether Zyxware nor HP-Compaq can give you any guarantee that these drivers will work perfectly with Windows XP.

http://www.zyxware.com/articles/2008/01/16/compaq-presario-c748tu-laptop-drivers-for-windows-xp

HP-Compaq has a model of laptop - Presario C748TU. This model is specifically designed for Windows Vista. They do not provide drivers for Windows XP along with the package. You will have to download and install it seperately. However, if you try to install driver for Windows XP, you might face compatibility issues. You can try the given links for drivers for the same.

i have never heard/experienced the phenomemon  of it being 'very common for usb ports to fail' .

more on your confidentb assertion that  - downloading from vista to xp is as easy as pie

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&q=downgrading+from+vista+to+xp+on+laptop&btnG=Search

you forget - there are systems and hardware designed specifically for vista.

formatting is the last resort.i have never had to format because of a virus/malware.just last week - i picked up a bug amvo.exe. kaspersky couldn't delete it because it ws a running process - but what do you know, it had a startup entry - i disabled it, restarted and kaspersky killed it. to be doubly sure, i googled amvo, and found tools.

if i were to format my system, i would lose over 80gb of information, etc. considering the fact that the virus could also be in any of my backups, make that 250gb. how many manhours of downloading, tweaking, and work gone just like that. . .when the solution is just a google away. it would take me a minimum of 48 hours to reinstall all my applications and configure them just so.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by DualCore1: 4:04pm On Apr 03, 2008
how come no one is talking about SATA as an obstacle?

installing XP on a pre-loaded Vista machine isnt as easy as it sounds.
cUz if ur bios doesnt have the option of disabling SATA, u cant just pop in xp cd and work.
u'll need to slipstream ur winXP cd with the SATA drivers.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 03, 2008
how can we, when it has degenerated to a contest of egos cheesy

'i sabi'
'i sabi more than you' -
'no i sabi more than you'

and so . . .
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by yahuze(f): 4:14pm On Apr 03, 2008
I was crazy when i saw it , i paid them and it was not just cheap they shipped the laptop directly to me here in nigeria, though i paid a good price for the shipping.The laptop is factory refurbished , but my question is why do i have to go that far to get a refurbished laptop, why dont hey do that in nigeria. I think they still have some varieties of the laptop available.you may check it out on www.realcomputervillage.com
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by DualCore1: 4:23pm On Apr 03, 2008
oyb:

how can we, when it has degenerated to a contest of egos cheesy

'i sabi'
'i sabi more than you' -
'no i sabi more than you'

and so . . .

haba! i no follow o.
hehe
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by zaibatsu(m): 4:31pm On Apr 03, 2008
Dude, I assume you got the computer you're using with Vista pre-installed. If yes, the questions I would like to put to you are:
Are you ready and willing to lose your genuine Windows OS?
Do you have a valid Windows XP licence?
If the answer to the above questions is no, are you then willing to go thru Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) problems?
Think long and hard before you change your genuine OS for a pirated copy. Luck
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Neoteny(m): 5:17pm On Apr 03, 2008
@oyb

i do not mean to come across as a know-it-all, its a pity you think my humble posts do. i keep insisting that this forum is the only one members take offense when someone disagrees with them.

oyb:

you still do not want to understand.we were dual booting vista and xp on the system, and the usb ports worked in vista.

as to your belief that downgrading to xp is as simple as 'using the windows XP CD) 

http://www.zyxware.com/articles/2008/03/12/compaq-presario-v3754tu-laptop-driver-for-windows-xp

Compaq Presario V3754TU is another model laptop from HP-Compaq. It is an Intel based machine with configuration as given here - - Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1.67Ghz, 160GB Harddisk Drive, 1GB DDR2 Ram, 14.1” Widescreen, DVD+/-RW Double Layer Drive, Built in Card Reader and Webcam, 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth and it comes with FreeDOS. If you are planning to install Windows XP, you need require drivers for configuring different hardware. Drivers for Windows Vista are available at the company's website. Here are links for drivers for this laptops for Windows XP.
These laptops are designed to work with Vista. The driver given below are for XP, but they are not tested properly. Nether Zyxware nor HP-Compaq can give you any guarantee that these drivers will work perfectly with Windows XP.

http://www.zyxware.com/articles/2008/01/16/compaq-presario-c748tu-laptop-drivers-for-windows-xp

HP-Compaq has a model of laptop - Presario C748TU. This model is specifically designed for Windows Vista. They do not provide drivers for Windows XP along with the package. You will have to download and install it seperately. However, if you try to install driver for Windows XP, you might face compatibility issues. You can try the given links for drivers for the same.

i have never heard/experienced the phenomemon  of it being 'very common for usb ports to fail' .

more on your confidentb assertion that  - downloading from vista to xp is as easy as pie

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&q=downgrading+from+vista+to+xp+on+laptop&btnG=Search

you forget - there are systems and hardware designed specifically for vista.

formatting is the last resort.i have never had to format because of a virus/malware.just last week - i picked up a bug amvo.exe. kaspersky couldn't delete it because it ws a running process - but what do you know, it had a startup entry - i disabled it, restarted and kaspersky killed it. to be doubly sure, i googled amvo, and found tools.

if i were to format my system, i would lose over 80gb of information, etc. considering the fact that the virus could also be in any of my backups, make that 250gb. how many manhours of downloading, tweaking, and work gone just like that. . .when the solution is just a google away. it would take me a minimum of 48 hours to reinstall all my applications and configure them just so.

interesting. your Compaq Presario V3754TU maybe "designed" for vista, meaning its specced out to take full advantage of Vista's numerous features no doubt, the standout out of which is Aero. but in  your glee to respond you missed it, let me quote from your post: "  Drivers for Windows Vista are available at the company's website. Here are links for drivers for this laptops for Windows XP.
These laptops are designed to work with Vista. The driver given below are for XP, but they are not tested properly. Nether Zyxware nor HP-Compaq can give you any guarantee that these drivers will work perfectly  with Windows XP."

how could you have missed it? its designed for vista but comes ONLY with freeDOS installed, if you want vista, download the drivers form the manufacturers website which are all the manufacturer (ie HP-compaq) support, but the alternate links are not guaranteed to work with xp.

thats it. i don't see this as saying the specific hardware in the system were specifically designed to work ONLY with vista. it only means the manufacturer provide drviers for vista. and when you remember HP compaq didnt manufacture the intel and other hardware in the system, its easy to see that win xp drivers can be found elsewhere, most likely at the actual hardware manufacturers support site.

besides Trusted computing which in extreme cases requires a bios level module, which hardware specifically is designed for vista and only vista with absoluytely no way windows xp can utilize that hardware? most common video hardware now are either from nvidia, ati or intel, and they ALL work in xp machines, and sound cards are commonly based on the Ac97 or HD codec which are all supported in win xp. USB, webcam, IDE, ACPI, uPnP, network controllers, modems, Pci, pci-express, and all manner of internal and external buses are all supported in windows xp, and microsoft is STILL providing support and updates for windows xp so i can't see how or why you will base your claim because ONE manufacturer says its system was designed for vista. there are xp drivers that don't work in vista just as there are vista drivers that wont work with xp.

unless HP-compaq has devised a proprietary USB standard, your claim that USB works in vista and not in xp is false and ungrounded.

however i do agree with dual core on the SATA issue as windows xp by default does not embed drivers for serial ATA even though its fast and does away with all that master/slave/jump select wahala. this may prevet installation in some cases, but any board that comes with sata usually has USB support in BIOS and thus rather than floppy you can use removable drives to inject sata drivers that came with the host adapter at the install level, xp does ask you to press f3 to install third party storage drivers. or even nLIte. a bit fiddly, but it gets the job done. we had the same issue with SCSI drives back then. now its a thing of the past.

you may not have heard that USB drives commonly fail, seeing as how you have funny misconceptions about the issue, but believe me it does happen, sometimes saying a perfectly good peripheral is an UNKNOWN USB DEVICE, or simply not budging at all  sometimes requiring a reboot.

as for losing your data: the keyword is backup. thats what external USB harddisks are for. when your harddrive physically crashes, you still will lose your precious 80gigs.

if you want to reduce this to an ego contest because it prickles your pride when i disagree with you, then please bring it on.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by boro43(m): 5:50pm On Apr 03, 2008
Well not that i dont know how to upgrade form Vista to Xp operati ng system but when i insert the xp operating system cd it cheack all the drivers, and when i comes to
* Press ENTER to continue
* Press F3 to RESTART,
i pressed ENTER, but it complains that "CANNOT FIND HARD DISK ON THE COMPUTER". But if i reload the VIsta operating system it will be installed. How can i do it.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Neoteny(m): 5:58pm On Apr 03, 2008
aha!

now that narrows it down. most probably its a sata problem. check the manufacturer of your drive via sysinfo or device manage, or get everest and find out who made the sata drive. when you have that info go to the manufactors site and download the standalone drivers. now put those drivesr in a USB stick or burn them to a cd. when installing xp press f3 when prompted (or is it f6? cant remember). now place the media containing the drivers and thywill be uploaded to the windows installation folder.

this is not guaranteed 90% to work as your mainboad may not support cdrom and usb at boot stage. in that case get nLIte (its free) then strip the xp cd into a convenient folder and infuse the sata drivers into the package. it may sound technical but its dead easy. im not too good at explaining things.

hope this helps, and forget all the rants we made up there.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by texazzpete(m): 8:38pm On Apr 03, 2008
As companies develop new and intuitive ways to ferret out pirates, it's a no-brainer to keep a fully legit, licensed copy of your OS running. It's better you at least try to dualboot Xp and Vista (Most new laptops nowadays have the HDD capacity) until you're fully weaned enough to move over to Vista. Deleting a licensed copy and installing a N200 pirated copy of Xp may not be the smartest move.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by DualCore1: 9:05am On Apr 04, 2008
his_grace:

simple - pee on the laptop ----

u were under no obligation to make a post if u had no clues whts being talked about here, u know?
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Neoteny(m): 10:05am On Apr 04, 2008
Dual Core:

u were under no obligation to make a post if u had no clues whts being talked about here, u know?

bingo!

texazzpete:

As companies develop new and intuitive ways to ferret out pirates, it's a no-brainer to keep a fully legit, licensed copy of your OS running. It's better you at least try to dualboot Xp and Vista (Most new laptops nowadays have the HDD capacity) until you're fully weaned enough to move over to Vista. Deleting a licensed copy and installing  a N200 pirated copy of Xp may not be the smartest move.

its safe to assume, if its an OEM system, he already has a recovery partition or a set of recovery discs with the OEM activation keys.
but still, dual booting is a better option. me, i triple booted one box, and virtualized the lappytoppy.

funny, theres this HP SlimLine i use at work with a SATA drive. i dual booted it with xp and it works, no sata issues at all.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Nobody: 11:28am On Apr 04, 2008
@ Poster

The only true way for you to avoid your system problems is by seeing a systems engineer. I just converted mine to XP and all it took me was about N3000.
Instead of risking your computer. Just give it to an expert. All the GURUS here will just make u spoil ur system, from what I have seen, you don't have much Idea about computers. Better be careful. undecided
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by DualCore1: 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2008
jassie:

All the GURUS here will just make u spoil your system,

yea right, einstein. pffft
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by DoubleN(m): 5:45pm On Apr 04, 2008
Why not go for Virtualization instead? You can Install the XP on your Vista as a Virtual Machine.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by DualCore1: 7:03pm On Apr 04, 2008
Double N:

Why not go for Virtualization instead? You can Install the XP on your Vista as a Virtual Machine.

very good alternative
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Neoteny(m): 7:16pm On Apr 07, 2008
jassie:

@ Poster

The only true way for you to avoid your system problems is by seeing a systems engineer. I just converted mine to XP and all it took me was about N3000.
Instead of risking your computer. Just give it to an expert. All the GURUS here will just make u spoil your system, from what I have seen, you don't have much Idea about computers. Better be careful. undecided

i just understood your thought process; you are mistaking your arse for your brain.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Bolan(m): 5:31pm On Apr 11, 2008
I wonder why people who knows nothing about computer engineering will be exposing there ignorance here. Plz, meet a computer engineer like me and u will get ur prb solved. The sata has to be disabled from the bios b4 u can install xp. After that u can install sata driver 4 xp depending on the board manaufacturer. Consult gurus like us for solutions to ur prbs ok.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by KazuyaM(m): 10:34pm On Mar 17, 2009
This is simple. First of All you need to buy a bootable Windows XP CD. This is a CD that starts installation as soon as the computer is turned on without running windows.

If you have A Windows XP cd that is not a bootable CD. It will not work. Because, those CDs require Windows to be running, and Windows will not allow you to downgrade from Vista to XP (only upgrades are aloud). You will need to get a bootable CD.
Re: Pls How Can I Convert My Vista Operating System To Xp Operating System by Nobody: 11:25pm On Mar 17, 2009
This is what happens when you have too many professionals in the house, how will the poster now no which one to follow?

@poster, i dont know what to post again, what me i know is that once you are able to get the xp drivers for your lap top, then format the vista partition commoth and install your xp, drivers and all. . .but what me i did was to partition my lap-top into 2, install xp first on one, and vista on the second partition. . .

(1) (Reply)

Swift Wimax (multi User) Modem + Wireless Router 4 Sale / 8TH GEN HP 15 AVAILABLE / Search And Download .mp3 Files Using Google!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.