Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,826 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience (13927 Views)

''Keeping Cell Phones Near The Head Is Dangerous'' / Can You Do Without Your Mobile Phone For A Day? / Danger Of Using Your CellPhone While Charging (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by na2day(m): 3:18pm On Apr 03, 2013
http://mashable.com/2013/04/03/anniversary-of-cellphone/

Today's mobile movement is all about efficiency and multitasking. But with the first cellphone in 1973, you could place a phone call and get a workout at the same time. After all, the phone weighed 2.5 pounds.

The cellphone turned 40 on Wednesday, April 3. Its creator, Martin Cooper, 84, placed the first mobile phone call on the streets of New York City — he phoned his rival, Joel Engel, head of research at Bell Labs. You can imagine how cheeky that exchange was.

Alas, the call couldn't last too long — the Motorola Dynatac's battery life only squeezed out 20 minutes of talk time.

The 40 years since that first historical phone call have fostered enormous mobile accomplishment. Not to mention, better value. Some of the first cellphones came with heavy price tags ($3,995, or $8,700 by today's standards). And that barbell of a brick phone has since shrunk to a few handheld ounces — the iPhone 5 weighs 3.95 ounces, about the weight of two eggs.

What was your first cellphone? Where do you think mobile technology is heading? Share your memories and insight in the comments below.

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by na2day(m): 3:23pm On Apr 03, 2013
My first mobile phone was Mitsubishi Trium, God bless its soul
grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Bawss1(m): 3:42pm On Apr 03, 2013
Nice infographic there.
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by dominique(f): 3:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
Whoa! Never knew the cell phone was this old. Didn't debut in naija till the early 90s.
My first phone was a motorola c200 (got stolen few months later angry)

1 Like

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Quaritch(m): 7:38pm On Apr 03, 2013
Who can ever forget those days when a minute call is so expensive,
I keep myself happy by dialing the customer care and listening to her voice! grin

11 Likes

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Quaritch(m): 2:49am On Apr 04, 2013
dominique: Whoa! Never knew the cell phone was this old. Didn't debut in naija till the early 90s.
My first phone was a motorola c200 (got stolen few months later angry)

C200!
Lol, the first phone i bought for my mama grin
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Quaritch(m): 3:40am On Apr 04, 2013
Yeah, i remember! my first smart phone was SENDO X?
Anyone remember that phone? love it to bits grin

7 Likes

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by opestein: 12:06pm On Apr 04, 2013
MINE WAS SAGEM MY X1......LIKE 8 YRS AGO.........LOL
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 04, 2013
Nokia 1100
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 04, 2013
Ok noted
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by GraceBestowed(f): 12:11pm On Apr 04, 2013
Mine was a Sony Ericsson, can't remember the model, this was way back in 2000!

1 Like

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by dack7(m): 12:12pm On Apr 04, 2013
Mine was a Nokia1100,it was d bomb then.
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by steffans(m): 12:16pm On Apr 04, 2013
Mine was Samsung R220 (Blue Light)
With antenna....lol

2 Likes

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Super1759: 12:19pm On Apr 04, 2013
My first phone in my life!!!! Yea!!!!!!! gringringringrin

20 Likes

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Okijajuju1(m): 12:21pm On Apr 04, 2013
Thanks to Obasanjo & the PDP for bringing Mobile Phones to Nigeria..

Myy first phone was a Sagem 920.. Plus Line of 27,000 Naira.
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by yuzedo: 12:22pm On Apr 04, 2013
i remember when i buy my first phone, nokia-iPhone 1 the first day i pack inside BANANA ISLAND. That is in 1998 when GSM came out first.
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by AKO1(m): 12:22pm On Apr 04, 2013
opestein: MINE WAS SAGEM MY X1......LIKE 8 YRS AGO.........LOL

LMAO, where on earth is Sagem? I don't think they still make phones.
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by crusufixo(m): 12:23pm On Apr 04, 2013
mine waz the nokia 2230 or sometim like dat. would never the hunmingbird ringtone

1 Like

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by baynix(m): 12:23pm On Apr 04, 2013
I Bought Stolen Nokia 8310 In 2004 At Sabo For 8K! That Was My First Baby!!
I Later Sold It To Ma Guy.. I Think 900 Naira! And He Didnt Even Balance Me!

The Only Site I Was Able To Browse Thru Then Was wanawap.com.. Dunno If Dat Still Exist!

I Remember Wen Sagem Was Trending!! All Sagem Comes Wit P.orn Movie.. At Least 5mins P.orn Movie!!

1 Like

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by LarrySun(m): 12:28pm On Apr 04, 2013
One, it is being called 'Mobile phone' (British English) here in Nigeria, 'Cellphone' is American usage.

My first mobile phone was Sagem tri-band. At the time, if I got as much as a beep (flash), my heart would race faster than a speeding car, thinking that the President had just tried my line or the girl I wooed who didn't even know I had a phone. Sometimes, I'd call random numbers just to hear the voices of people miles away grin

2 Likes

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by haysal(m): 12:28pm On Apr 04, 2013
Space reserved.....owner BUSY!!!!!!!!!
No comments

1 Like

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Quaritch(m): 12:29pm On Apr 04, 2013
Na from this thread we go know the age of some people here! grin

2 Likes

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by DonHummer(m): 12:29pm On Apr 04, 2013
Okija_juju: Thanks to Obasanjo & the PDP for bringing Mobile Phones to Nigeria..

Why do pple kip takin obj for bringin mobile fones...it wuld hav stil com to naija weda he was d one in power or not

4 Likes

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by opsonJ(m): 12:31pm On Apr 04, 2013
sagem
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by baynix(m): 12:33pm On Apr 04, 2013
Okija_juju: Thanks to Obasanjo & the PDP for bringing Mobile Phones to Nigeria..

LOL!! MTN Raped Nigerians !!
Their Sim Casing Was Like That Of A CD!
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Policewoman(f): 12:35pm On Apr 04, 2013
I remember my dad had a big heavy cell phone in the early 90s. They used to call it naught-nine-naught (090) cool

1 Like

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by baynix(m): 12:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
DonHummer:
Why do pple kip takin obj for bringin mobile fones...it wuld hav stil com to naija weda he was d one in power or not

Why Is It So Hard For Yhu To Admit That He Was The Angel?? Yeah Sure It 'ld Stil Com To Nigeria.. Buh OBJ Was The Man God Used!!
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Policewoman(f): 12:37pm On Apr 04, 2013

I bought my 1st line for 14k in 2003.
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by LEvuls(m): 12:37pm On Apr 04, 2013
Can u imagine todays date 04/04/2013 and the post.........well i hope am not in a different world.

somebody pls confirm before.........................
Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by slimmoney(m): 12:39pm On Apr 04, 2013
Quaritch: Yeah, i remember! my first smart phone was SENDO X?
Anyone remember that phone? love it to bits grin
I luv d fone die, it has d same functions wit Nokia

1 Like

Re: Cell-ebration! 40 Years Of Cellphone History: Share Your Mobile Phone Experience by Youngpo413: 12:40pm On Apr 04, 2013
I taught the first mobile phone was made by nokia?
Anyway my first mobile phone samsung C100,early 2007,back then coloured screen users were kings,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 A Prime Full Unboxing And Review / How To Fix Android With IMEI /firmware Baseband Issue / Etisalat New Data Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.