Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,014 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? (32523 Views)

We Will Arrest More Influential Nigerians In The Coming Weeks — EFCC Chairman / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / Xenophobia: South Africa Vs One Nigeria.[photo][viewer discretion] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 2:16am On Apr 04, 2013
i want good analysis pls. Not sentiments based on blind patriotism, share ignorance, self hate and fraustration.

I am asking this question because reading so many articles on different websites lately, i have come to see that people of these two countries believe that they are the most powerful country on the continent and as such, should be the mouth piece of the continent. While this mentality has declined greatly among Nigerians, it is growing among South Africans.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 2:18am On Apr 04, 2013
SA is more developed, Nigeria is more influential.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by EkoAtlantic: 3:32am On Apr 04, 2013
Prof Corruption: SA is more developed, Nigeria is more influential.

Very true

4 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by EkoAtlantic: 3:36am On Apr 04, 2013
Nigeria is very much influential than SA in/on Africa.

5 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 3:43am On Apr 04, 2013
Influential on what grounds? Please be specific because the question is too broad. But if we are speaking influence from a "general" point of view, I definitely believe South Africa has more influence.

4 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 3:45am On Apr 04, 2013
Ngeria govt is jst rich thats compare to other african country, that doesnt mean the ppl is rich neither are they happy compare to others countries, talk of influencial thats a dream of the country that never come true! Dont ever compare both countries, a good percent of southafricans eat four times a day unlike in ngeria where a good percent have no bread. Pls stop comparing and let things work out for both countries

7 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 3:59am On Apr 04, 2013
Toaskarity: Ngeria govt is jst rich thats compare to other african country, that doesnt mean the ppl is rich neither are they happy compare to others countries, talk of influencial thats a dream of the country that never come true! Dont ever compare both countries, a good percent of southafricans eat four times a day unlike in ngeria where a good percent have no bread. Pls stop comparing and let things work out for both countries

You have said it all! Compare SA to Nigeria? shocked
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 4:18am On Apr 04, 2013
ok let me be a bit more specific.
When i said infuence, i mean cultural influence which include the presence of your material and non material culture in other countries, political influence which includes having a hand in other country's poitical land scape, economic influence which is not only how big and developed your economy is but also how connected other countries economy is to yours so that when there is say...a closing of the border or austerity measure, the other countries are affected. And last of all, military influence which is not just the number of your service men or the number of the big weapons you have, but how strategically important your military is in the peace and security of the continent

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by sEyi6: 4:21am On Apr 04, 2013
From history Nigeria is more influential. Even S/A's history is incomplete without stating Nigeria's influence on her during the apartheid era which paved way for the liberation of the black South Africans.

Nigeria's influence on African countries are way more pronounced.
The dead military ruler of Libya knows better. He was never in good relationship with Nigeria which made him have less supporter among the countries in Africa during the time he needed Africa's support against the western powers, despite the 100% support he had from SA he failed.
When it comes to elective positions in AU, Nigeria's choice most time takes the lead.

Economically, SA is more influential which anytime soon will be overtaken by Nigeria as the nation to reckon with in Africa's economy.

[size=15pt]Study By An Organization Based In South Africa Rated Nigeria As The Most Influential Country In Africa[/size]
The survey, published on Thursday, March 23 is titled “African futures 2050” and was conducted by Institute for Security Studies (ISS), an organization based in South Africa that works on “a spectrum of human security issues from environmental security to population movement, to terrorism to post conflict reconstruction,” according to the institute website. The study placed Nigeria and South Africa as the first and second African powers that will be most influential in the continent respectively, while Egypt took fourth place preceded by Ethiopia.

Mainly conducted by Dr. Jakkie Cilliers, ISS Executive Director, the study further asserts that African influence will keep ballooning in the global arena as well. An estimate also avers that Africa will secure close to 110 trillion dollars in yearly revenues in the year 2030 through growth patterns similar to Indian trends. Moreover, it is contended in the survey that the continent will not see the influential dominance of one nation. The four countries, however, will have comparable authority in continental issues, as indicated by the yardsticks employed in gauging these trends and arriving at these projections.

“Although climate change will take its toll on the continent, Africa will continue to grow undeterred,” Dr. Cilliers said in a speech she delivered at the launch of the publication.

By Yemane Nagish
http://www.diretube.com/articles/read-study-ranks-ethiopia-as-third-most-influential-country-in-determining-africa%E2%80%99s-destiny_1045.html

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 4:34am On Apr 04, 2013
@toskarity i think you are misinformed about issues in Nigeria. Contrary to your view, most nigerians have food to eat. You probably based your point on the idea that we all live below a dolar per day. But let me let you know that in the urban centres, fewer people live below a dollar per day and in rural areas, one dollar can buy you three sqaure meals.

If we are that poor as you have claimed, why then are consumer companies making more profit here in Naija than in any other country? Dont tell me it is our population. Becos population doesnt buy comodities. It is money we use to secure goods and services

so if companies are making more profit here in Naija, then it is becos we have more people who can afford those comodities than anywhere else on the continent.

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 4:36am On Apr 04, 2013
Oh boy.

*Waits until the "Southies" flood this thread*

Hot mess thread on the way.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by sEyi6: 4:38am On Apr 04, 2013
Toaskarity: Ngeria govt is jst rich thats compare to other african country, that doesnt mean the ppl is rich neither are they happy compare to others countries, talk of influencial thats a dream of the country that never come true! Dont ever compare both countries, a good percent of southafricans eat four times a day unlike in ngeria where a good percent have no bread. Pls stop comparing and let things work out for both countries

Western media delusion, lol. The more you believe statistics made in one enclosure by someone who hasn't ever stepped on Africa's soil the more you get confused of the exact fact.
It's very good to be patriotic but have you ever reason at anytime the credibility of data you see flying over the web world? "Good percentage of Nigerians have no bread"- lol. That's incorrect, I must say

8 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by phecs: 5:34am On Apr 04, 2013
South africa is more than nigeria in all angle!1st economical aspect 1rand is 18 naira.infrastructral development is bein seen everywhr!politically wise healthy opposition exist there between d ANC and DA!security wise(no bokko harram problem)educational abt 60percent there student has bursary!what comparism do u want again

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Tolexander: 5:56am On Apr 04, 2013
Economically, south africa is more influential in africa while in military, nigeria is more influential in africa

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Tolexander: 6:11am On Apr 04, 2013
phecs: South africa is more than nigeria in all angle!1st economical aspect 1rand is 18
this doesn't make the point at all.
If 1rand =18naira as you said, then
1rand should be equal to 10.0632yen.
Has that made south africa better than Japan?
Moreover, 1rand=17.1205naira
not 18naira.

1Libya dinar = 7.2018rand.
By your 1st assertion, i guess libya should be the best country in africa.

The question stated that which of the 2 countries is influential to africa!

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Rufex07(m): 6:22am On Apr 04, 2013
hmmmm... i think this thread will become hot very soon. booking space things :-)

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Lanrefahm(m): 6:31am On Apr 04, 2013
south africa is far better dan naija. dis is a silly question. is just like comparing messi with obafemi martins or comparing BH to MASSOB comparing wole soyinka to chinua achebe.

abeg abeg dey no fit compare

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 7:04am On Apr 04, 2013
the question is not who is better or not. It is about who is more INFLUENCIAL in africa. I want you all to read the below again.

i want good analysis pls. Not sentiments
based on blind patriotism, share
ignorance, self hate and fraustration.
I am asking this question because reading
so many articles on different websites
lately, i have come to see that people of
these two countries believe that they are
the most powerful country on the
continent and as such, should be the
mouth piece of the continent. While this
mentality has declined greatly among
Nigerians, it is growing among South
Africans.

ok let me be a bit more specific.
When i said infuence, i mean cultural
influence which include the presence of
your material and non material culture in
other countries, political influence which
includes having a hand in other country's
poitical land scape, economic influence
which is not only how big and developed
your economy is but also how connected
other countries economy is to yours so
that when there is say...a closing of the
border or austerity measure, the other
countries are affected. And last of all,
military influence which is not just the
number of your service men or the
number of the big weapons you have, but
how strategically important your military is
in the peace and security of the continent.
Take all of the criteria into consideration
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 7:07am On Apr 04, 2013
Tolexander: this doesn't make the point at all.
If 1rand =18[/b]naira as you said, then
1rand should be equal to 10.0632yen.
Has that made south africa better than Japan?
Moreover, [b]1rand=17.1205naira
not 18naira.

1Libya dinar = 7.2018rand.
By your 1st assertion, i guess libya should be the best country in africa.

The question stated that which of the 2 countries is influential to africa!
this is not a case of having big industries but how many other economies are tied down to you.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 04, 2013
Historically, and till date, nigeria remains a big brother to all african countries.. but, the big brother in question no get swag lipsrsealed... and those of you using currency rates as a criteria, ori gbogbo yin ti daru angry

11 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Abbey2sam(m): 8:52am On Apr 04, 2013
I learnt that the white southies run tinz over there,
We run tinz here by ourselves in naija

I know economically wise,they are above nigeria and maybe infrastructures too.

8 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Tolexander: 8:55am On Apr 04, 2013
souldust: this is not a case of having big industries but how many other economies are tied down to you.
i didn't mention anything like industry in what you quoted.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by sEyi6: 9:13am On Apr 04, 2013
Some of us are interpreting the topic of the thread wrongly. The Op wasn't asking for comparism whatsoever. The topic says "which is more influential in Africa: Nigeria or South Africa". Not which is the strongest politically, economically, etc.
Another thread can be created to tackle these.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by sEyi6: 9:18am On Apr 04, 2013
Abbey2sam: I learnt that the white southies run tinz over there,
We run tinz here by ourselves in naija

I know economically wise,they are above nigeria and maybe infrastructures too.

That shouldn't be far from the truth, remove those whites and there investments from SA then you have another Kenya, ethiopia or even lesser as South Africa

6 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by sEyi6: 9:36am On Apr 04, 2013
phecs: South africa is more than nigeria in all angle! 1st economical aspect 1rand is 18 naira. infrastructral development is bein seen everywhr!politically wise healthy opposition exist there between d ANC and DA!security wise(no bokko harram problem)educational abt 60percent there student has bursary!what comparism do u want again

Reading this for the first time- "country's currency value determines it economical strength". Wow!

What position is the UK that has the most valuable currency? Sixth or thereabout while China with a very ridiculous currency in term of value is second.
Was in Ghana some years back when the country's currency was re-decimalized and named "Ghana-cedi" from ordinary "cedi". A ghana-cedi was equivalent to N92(Nigeria's Naira), till today and in the next decades Ghana's economy can't reach half of Nigerias'.

I term that ignorance to rate economy on currency value.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by achi4u(m): 9:37am On Apr 04, 2013
SA is more infrasturally and economically influencial to the world than nigeria in all spheres except military power which is based on large population.
If only there's relatively peace in nigeria without hatred,nepotism,tribalism,ethinicity and of recent terrorism this country would've been a force to be reckon with.

Some section(s) of this country is a drawback to other sections making it very difficult to devlop randomly.

Before you counter my argument...consider:

Eletricity

Roads

Tourism

Entertaiment

Education

Healthy politic

Sports
et al

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by sEyi6: 9:41am On Apr 04, 2013
achi4u: SA is more infrasturally and economically influencial to the world than nigeria in all spheres except military power which is based on large population.
If only there's relatively peace in nigeria without hatred,nepotism,tribalism,ethinicity and of recent terrorism this country would've been a force to be reckon with.

Some section(s) of this country is a drawback to other sections making it very difficult to devlop randomly.

Before you counter my argument...consider:

Eletricity

Roads

Tourism

Entertaiment

Education

Healthy politic

Sports
et al

It begins with you

18 Likes

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 9:47am On Apr 04, 2013
We may be talking about development which goes to ZA.

Sincerely,when u say ''INFLUENTIAL'' .....to me, No African country has the above characteristics over each other as each block/region is being controlled and influenced by their european colonialist/supremacist......!!!

Nigeria could only influenced Fracophone/Anglophone west Africans to the extent to which FRANCE/BRITISH/US/UN allowed same goes for ZA.........!!!!

If Nigeria/ZA shd annoint a candidate for a particular political position in any sub-saharan African countries unless British/US/France/UN bless such candidate,tis gonna be failure ab-initio......

These supremacist/colonialist are so concerned with what/who/whom goes where,when and how in AFRICA......therefore how do we measure ''Influence'' of NGR/ZA.......

It seems Nigeria has only got bigger money to spend in Africa and u know, Money buy little love attimes......cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by achi4u(m): 9:49am On Apr 04, 2013
$£yi:
Some of us are interpreting the topic of the thread wrongly. The Op wasn't asking for comparism whatsoever. The topic says "which is more influential in Africa: Nigeria or South Africa". Not which is the strongest politically, economically, etc.
Another thread can be created to tackle these.

The thread topic is very tricky,you can't pick one country without mentioning reasons/why that country is so influential to Africa than the other.
So,the two nations is influencial in their own making.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by achi4u(m): 10:00am On Apr 04, 2013
$£yi:

It begins with you
hahahagringrin
I will try my best to be a good citizen but what about this recent terrorism and kidnapping which is another dangerous setback to naija economy?
Like I said nigeria is great except those vices.
SA still topples.
Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 10:07am On Apr 04, 2013
Nigeria could not even Influenced taking back Her Land from ICJ........Bakassi peninsula....the region was pathetically ceded to Cameroon.....while the people were and are still Nigerians,lamenting their woes......!!!
British is still controlling/influencing falkland island.... Where Argentina shd be controlling......thats the irony of Global politics!!!

INFLUENCE,holistically is beyond the context of any AFRICAN COUNTRY......thats how the oyinbo work Africa mathmatics ooo.....NEO-COLONIALISM.....(u can only grow not develop,u can only murmur not shout/bark,U can't do anything......) Black World!!!

1 Like

Re: South Africa Vs Nigeria: Which Is More Influential In Africa? by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 04, 2013
MissRaissa: Influential on what grounds? Please be specific because the question is too broad. But if we are speaking influence from a "general" point of view, I definitely believe South Africa has more influence.
this website wey u dey dey rash english shey na south african site?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

PDP Attacks APC In New Campaign Advert (Photo) / Ekiti 2018: PDP Governorship Primary Election, May 8 (live Updates) / BOMB Blast In KANO Few Minutes Ago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.