Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Customer Service In A Nigerian Business - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Customer Service In A Nigerian Business (9295 Views)

[Satire] The Nigerian Business Partner / CAC To Publish Nigerian Business Records Online / Ideas For Starting A Nigerian Business With $1-5 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by favourwal(f): 9:16am On May 23, 2006
Brethren, belive me the service industry is the most difficult to run. Take for example the hotels.Some of us are very guilty of treating the waiter like S**T not to talk of the waitress like a nonentity, and the male customers treat her like a LovePeddler just because she smiles and tries to be pleasant.

We forget these people are human beings and have to pull everything they've got to serve you. All of them have personal stress just like we do maybe children too and have bosses breathing down on their necks, but still manage to bring up a smile for all of us.Sometimes they just can't help it so instead of shouting at you due to work pressure, they keep plain faces.

My advice, next time u see a waiter, bank teller, or any service personel, with a sullen face, ask how she is doing.Be a service person too. Sometimes u can tell a joke and put a smile on their faces.They also need care. And besides it will make them serve u better.
wink

I,ve tried it several times and believe me it works like magic, wink

Besides, happiness is like a perfume, u can't spray it on others without getting some on your self. cheesy

So where ever u are, no matter the condition put a smile on your face, show me your 32. grin

Don't worry, be happy wink smiley cheesy grin
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by cabali(m): 6:35pm On May 29, 2006
customer service can be learnt from vmobile; the company with the true meaning of customer care
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by diyobdw(f): 2:08pm On Jun 07, 2006
@favourwal
am feeling you girl. i can tell it works
but one should careful not to send the wrong message (opposite sex or older person.)
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by favourwal(f): 7:07pm On Jun 09, 2006
diyobdw:

@favourwal
am feeling you girl. i can tell it works
but one should careful not to send the wrong message (opposite sex or older person.)

u are quite right.

it should be done with moderation.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Seun(m): 9:08pm On Jul 18, 2006
I stumbled accross a blog post why the writer argues that "the customer is always right" is wrong:
http://positivesharing.com/2006/07/why-the-customer-is-always-right-results-in-bad-customer-service

What?
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by diyobdw(f): 8:05am On Jul 19, 2006
Ha Seun!! Thank for sharing tha!

i kind of agree that why the companies policies should show love its employee.

kareem Said,

July 12, 2006 @ 7:49 pm

In “Losing My Virginity“, Richard Branson outlined his philosophy of taking care of his employees first, so they would take care of his customers.
--- from the same site.

Especially for put'g up with the "Little good & loads trouble" kind of customers.

That where customer care trainings comes in. you need to know:

Who they are (personality, literacy, income range etc)

know what they want(expectation)

Are they worth the effort? (expentation against income)

I have had to tell a client that we would be unable to sell to her because she will not like the services.
She didnt buy from me and we til had friendly relationship afterward and told me we could sell to her husbands company!
My management didnt not killed for doing so because she was asking for too much for Little amount.
but i also sent are to help distract our competitors avoid her not spoil'g our name!
the way you talk really count.even when it not formal
i can tell you sorry in different ways to mean different things

sorry!! cheesy
sorry angry angry angry angry
Sorry shocked lipsrsealed
sorry O tongue
sorry cry cry cry
sorry kiss wink
(yoruba will say "pele lako, labo"wink

The blog is an intresting one too i like such cheesy
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Panache(m): 2:02pm On Jul 20, 2006
There is no customer servcie in Nigeria. The smiling ladies in the bank kills the good treatment they give you, the moment you come once or twice without dropping 'egunje'. It's just a bad habit that we've created for our self. I dropped my naija insurance guy because despite is poor customer service, he never keeps his mouth shut. He thinks he's doing you a favor, whereas it's the other way round. He's found of bragging at 'owambes' about who and who insures their property for him. I did not only save a lot from my new Oyinbo agent, he calls me once in a while to know if my family status has changed or if I've done anything lately that can reduce my premium. that's quality assurance + good customer service.

Imagine u going to a store at Balogun without buying a shoe. The owner go curse the hell out of you. Whereas if you go to Office Depot they we willing refer you to another store (sometimes a competitor) if the goods is ot available.

It doesn't cost a lot to offer good service.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Zahymaka(m): 3:57pm On Jul 20, 2006
Panache:

Imagine u going to a store at Balogun without buying a shoe. The owner go curse the hell out of you. Whereas if you go to Office Depot they we willing refer you to another store (sometimes a competitor) if the goods is ot available.

Exactly! grin grin.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by edge(m): 5:02pm On Jul 20, 2006
i may not have the right statistics but i know that most business in niger fail because of poor customer care.the prosperity of any biz is in the pocket of the customer.if u pray to God to bless u he brings more customers to ur shop.what next? ur attitude keeps them and gives u the money or drives them and brings u to zero.

its really bad here. sometimes u walk into a shop and the person feels ou are showing him u have money. imagine that , competing with the customer .

most banks are also guilty. if the percieve u are a low profile customer, the dont treat u well.but think of it , the low customer today could be at the top tommorow.if ur attidude drives him away,

abeg lets change the customer is king.lets spend ouir money with peace .i recently met an okada man that had a radio attached to his bike. imen u need to see how everybody wanted to meet him . a little spicing of your biz can make the differenc
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by diyobdw(f): 9:21am On Jul 21, 2006
Panache:

There is no customer servcie in Nigeria. The smiling ladies in the bank kills the good treatment they give you, the moment you come once or twice without dropping 'egunje'. It's just a bad habit that we've created for our self. I dropped my naija insurance guy because despite is poor customer service, he never keeps his mouth shut. He thinks he's doing you a favor, whereas it's the other way round. He's found of bragging at 'owambes' about who and who insures their property for him. I did not only save a lot from my new Oyinbo agent, he calls me once in a while to know if my family status has changed or if I've done anything lately that can reduce my premium. that's quality assurance + good customer service.

It doesn't cost a lot to offer good service.

Did you contradict yourself hmmm, ? or was that intentional(refering to the words in bold lipsrsealed)

Customer service basically start with an individual that is "you" i have also noticed inferiorty and attitude issues determine the kind of services you get!

A naggy person can not see good service niether can a snob?
you get?
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by LoverBwoy(m): 6:34pm On Jul 25, 2006
Customer service basically start with an individual that is "you"
[quote][/quote]

customer service is service rendered to customers irrespective of the "you" u quoted its a standard not some selective service u render to people depending on their pocket or attitude  cheesy

hey long time@ diyobdw
see this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-17161.32.html about the cab
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by diyobdw(f): 7:26pm On Jul 25, 2006
@LoverBwoy

yep! i notice you got me wrong!

I meant no matter how good your Customer services is.There are some People that wont just feel it.
this no excuse to be crappy shocked

I mean, at times "how we see things is depends on what we want to see"!

& that determines our attitude and conslusion about issues! generally speaking
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by cabali(m): 6:57am On Nov 19, 2006
i guess it is right to say that customer care starts with taking care of the employees who will then pass the treatment to the customers;

just what celtel is doing!
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by English1(f): 10:17am On Nov 23, 2006
Bad customer service is very damaging to a company. Someone said that in the UK it doesn't matter because we don't give feedback on the service. It's true that we don't like to complain - but be sure that we are giving our 'feedback' to all our family and friends and telling them not to use that company. We don't complain - we just go somewhere else and when bad things are spread about a company, then people listen.

For example, there are two big national companies I will never ever use again in my life. One upset me over 15 years ago by calling me a liar. The other just made a disaster out of a delivery that went on for 4 months. I still haven't forgiven them! They have lost a lot of business from me over the years and I've told lots of people my story about them, which has created a bad impression of the companies in their minds.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Seun(m): 10:15am On Nov 25, 2006
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Labelle(f): 10:46pm On Nov 25, 2006
15years? miss dont you think they would have gotten over your patronage and moved on. 15years's 5475 days, 720 weeks, 180 months, c'mon now.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Labelle(f): 11:13pm On Nov 25, 2006
oh yeah ,2weeks ago, i had a bother with my service (celtel) so i called their so called 24hr help line, as usual im given directions to rectify the hitches(that like never yields any fruitful results) the convo ends with recomendations for manual servicing at their office. The next thing i know the dude's calling me up, saying he couldnt get me off his mind, etc.i immediately dismissed him.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Seun(m): 7:52am On Nov 26, 2006
That's very wrong of the dude. He's soiling the company's name.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by cabali(m): 2:59am On Dec 01, 2006
He should be [punished severely]!
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Ndipe(m): 10:45pm On Dec 14, 2006
Very unprofessional@labelle. You could report him to his boss for such an unprofessional conduct.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by cabali(m): 7:40pm On Dec 16, 2006
Or maybe it just aint worth it y'all
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by tglaz(m): 7:19am On Apr 28, 2007
in my own opinion,i am tempted to think some nigerian businesses are in operation not really because of their customers,rather because of their money but what they forget is that customers like to get value for their money. wink
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by my2cents(m): 12:17pm On Apr 28, 2007
IB,

Your story reminds me of a guy who used to cut my hair in Calabar. He was so nice that every time I would visit Nigeria, I would go there for a hair cut, even though there were other places with a better environment and charged less. We exchanged numbers and emails but at some point, both means of communication on his end were no longer working.

During my last visit (2004), I went there only to hear that he had moved to PH. I was and still am very sad over his move. In fact, even though I have never been to PH, if I knew where he was, I would visit there just for another hair cut. For me to do that should tell you what good customer service is all about!

Finally, I find it interesting that the same pple who treat you badly, customer-service-wise in naija, will immediately brighten up and call you "Sir" the minute you add another N100 as tip after the service. I have done this, on purpose, several times and it works like a charm, so much so that if I go back to the place, they clear the area and treat me specially. So I ask myself and you guys too - Is it that there is no customer service in Nigeria or there is but it comes at a price? Think about that wink
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by rock2(m): 1:54pm On Apr 28, 2007

oh yeah ,2weeks ago, i had a bother with my service (celtel) so i called their so called 24hr help line, as usual im given directions to rectify the hitches(that like never yields any fruitful results) the convo ends with recomendations for manual servicing at their office. The next thing i know the dude's calling me up, saying he couldnt get me off his mind, etc.i immediately dismissed him.

That's crazy.

my2cents:

I find it interesting that the tip same people who treat you badly, customer-service-wise in naija, will immediately brighten up and call you "Sir" the minute you add another N100 as after the service. I have done this, on purpose, several times and it works like a charm, so much so that if I go back to the place, they clear the area and treat me specially.

Yeah! works all the time.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by ijogbon(m): 1:21pm On Apr 29, 2007
I find this a very pertinent issue at the moment in 9ja.
Many Nigerian banks and indeed businesses are trying to get into the international market and with GLOBALISATION, POSTMODERNISM and all what not the importance of competing with regards best practices can not be over emphasised.

The bottom line is this, what is good service?
I dare to say that good service is service that satisfies. End of.
The service most ppl give in 9ja is not satisfying. period.
Satisfaction according to the Disconfirmation principle is when customer experience meets customer expectation or disconfirmation = 0.
So where ever you are, no matter the socio-economic background satisfaction is meeting your expectations and these expectations are tempered by your culture and its relationship to the culture in which you are receiving this service. For example a Nigerian receiving below average service in America might feel delighted ( +ve disconfirmation) even if it was really nothing (no need for y'all to be trippin).

In Nigeria it is so true that most service falls short of this criteria. It is also true that customer satisfaction affects loyalty which in turn affects customer equity which then affects market share and corporate profitability. Benjamin Ehigie actually studied the relationship between customer satisfaction and customer loyalty to their banks in Nigeria and found that the more satisfied a customer the more loyal he/she is.

My question now is this - is the Nigerian man or woman MAD for EXPECTING good service (customer expectation) then receiving NORMAL 9ja service (customer experience) and getting dissatisfaction (-ve disconfirmation). Pls tell me O!

Its a culture thing you see, our fathers and our fathers fathers have bequeath it to us.

As you all can tell this is the subject for a thesis which I plan to write someday.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Seun(m): 7:39pm On Apr 29, 2007
Finally, I find it interesting that the same people who treat you badly, customer-service-wise in naija, will immediately brighten up and call you "Sir" the minute you add another N100 as tip after the service.
The customer service you will get if you use that method is at the expense of other customers, so it's not ideal.

1 Like

Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by spoilt(f): 5:34am On Apr 30, 2007
nigerians really don't know the role that customer service plays in a business. its of the utmost importance. on my job i would'nt  dare extend bad service, i can't afford it.i have a mortgage to pay and can't afford to loose my clients. i have goals and targets to make and a client base to build. besides of what joy is nasty, half assed service? 

when i am in nigeria, people treat you with good service if they think you are rich and can tip or if you know someone. they also have wierd yardsticks like helping the white or half caste customers first. ( couldn't understand that one oh!)

it doesnt cost anything to be nice and your business will be all the better for it.
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by moondust(m): 12:53pm On Apr 30, 2007
Nigerian businesses are definitely not about the customers, but the Money, so its comes as no surprise when we have obnoxious customer service personnel in our business organisationms
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by Seun(m): 8:28pm On Apr 30, 2007
Nigerian businesses are definitely not about the customers, but the Money,
How do you get this money without satisfying your customer? Money is a good reason to invest in customer service!
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by igbonla(m): 9:41am On May 01, 2007
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by dollyp1cute(f): 10:26pm On May 01, 2007
Customer Service and Nigeria? Surely there is something wrong in this equation.

Customer Service and Egunje, now that is more like it wink
Re: Customer Service In A Nigerian Business by spoilt(f): 4:01am On May 02, 2007
igbonla:

I get good service all the time though because I try to be nice to people, You get bad service everytime you are nasty!

i agree. when i walk into an establishment im always syrupy sweet. ive discovered that its easier to attract bees with honey than vinegar! i compliment them, greet them and engage them in conversation and before you can say robinson crusoe they are falling all over themselves to be of assistance to me. so many people walk into a business wearing their suits like its a coffin, being so mean and yet they expect excellent, cheery service?! 
the service may not be bad but it wont be excellent. you don't get the drums rolled out for you like that!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Want To Be Rich And Happy, Don’t Go To School / Jonathan To Inaugurate 40MW Kashimbila Dam In February / Brent Crude Oil Jumps To 26-month High As Kurds Holds Referendum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.