Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,314 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:58 PM

Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? (20057 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by theffanyi(m): 1:48pm On Sep 12, 2007
dowry is still d bomb.once i pay, shes mine 4 life. cool
and when i get tired i dump or sell her out wink

Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Realsam(m): 8:51am On May 04, 2009
It should be abolished although not by any law but by individual parent, they should look far into the future and see beyond a common mere tradition that brings about controversy in views and ideas. You still have more to benefit from the union than bride price, your grandchildren, the peace and happiness of your daughter and the respect you earn from your inlaw. Anyways as for me I'm ready to pay any amount to have my girl signed sealed and deliever.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Ndipe(m): 7:26pm On May 04, 2009
It's been abused, but still, it emphasizes the role of the man in his family.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:56pm On May 04, 2009
I support bride price practice. I don't see anything wrong with the practice itself.

1 Like

Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Ndipe(m): 11:09pm On May 04, 2009
But shouldnt there be a limit on what to pay? Supposing the parents of the bride insist on 5 million naira as the bride price, what do you do?
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:10am On May 05, 2009
Well, I'm not sure about other groups of people in Nigeria, but for Igbo people, the price is never set. There also is no standard amount, because it differs from region to region, and even from tribe to tribe, and even from clan to clan, and even family to family in Igboland. It can also be negotiated (from what I know). I also know that the actual bride price amount can be, and sometimes is returned after the aspects of traditional marriage are complete. This is all I know in regards to the practice in Igboland. So no, I don't think there should be a limit set on what to pay,
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by grafikdon: 1:59am On May 05, 2009
I see nothing wrong with the practice. It is a symbolic depiction of appreciation. Anything beyond that (like asking for an elephant and 900 cows) is an abuse of the genuine concept of dowry or bride price.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by ifyalways(f): 4:37am On May 05, 2009
Ndipe:

But shouldnt there be a limit on what to pay? Supposing the parents of the bride insist on 5 million naira as the bride price, what do you do?
  shocked which parent wud ask for such a ridiculous amt from anyone?.
Theres no limit,it varies from place to place but from what i know,it can be negotiated.
@Topic,NO,bride price shld not be abolished.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Ifygurl: 5:05am On May 06, 2009
it's part of African tradition, it's not a bad tradition, it's not killing anyone so No, it shouldn't be abolished.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Hauwa1: 7:56am On May 06, 2009
Support, cool
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by tamme: 1:24am On May 20, 2009
support
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by mamagee3(f): 11:23pm On Dec 13, 2009
I oppose Dowry but support Brideprice. tongue
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by biina: 5:40am On Dec 14, 2009
The issue is not with the 'bride price' per se, but with parents who feel they deserve hefty material compensations for giving out their daughter's hand in marriage, and might go as far as giving her to the highest bidder. Abrogating the bride price would not change this, as such parents would seek the compensation under a different banner.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Ndipe(m): 9:24pm On Feb 14, 2020
Women pay dowry (household items) not brideprice in India.

mochafella:

um, I'm not sure it's taken as seriously as it used to. I think in a lot of cases now its plays a ceremonial role, besides paying a dowry has nothing to do with how your husband will treat you. An abusive man does not need the excuse of a dowry to lay his hands on you or keep you down.

Afterall I beleive in India the woman pays the bride price. They still have cases of women being ill-treated by their husbands.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Nobody: 6:17am On Feb 16, 2020
Brideprice is the beginning of ruse in establishing a family. One family will collect money on their daughter while the other family will be exploited.

The bride price should be cancelled.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Ndipe(m): 1:48am On Mar 10, 2020
Shouldnt be abolished. Remember, the bride's family usually foots the entertainment on the day of the traditional marriage, so the bride-price in addition to establishing the man's position as the head of the family, also offsets these expenses.

Gforce2015:
Brideprice is the beginning of ruse in establishing a family. One family will collect money on their daughter while the other family will be exploited.

The bride price should be cancelled.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Nobody: 6:26am On Mar 10, 2020
Ndipe:
Shouldnt be abolished. Remember, the bride's family usually foots the entertainment on the day of the traditional marriage, so the bride-price in addition to establishing the man's position as the head of the family, also offsets these expenses.

Man is no longer the head of the family. If you doubt me, ask some of the feminist ladies on nairaland. They believe in equal rights and equal responsibility. Marriage is like a partnership in a business where both couples bring in their values to develop an institution called marriage. But because of the tricky nature of human beings, marriage is now used as a means to extort, manipulate and exploit one another.
Re: Bride Price/dowry, Do You Support Or Oppose It? by Ndipe(m): 1:47am On Sep 08, 2021
Where did you read that in The Holy Bible?

Seun:

That's a misleading argument. In that part of the bible it was also ok to murder your son on God's 'orders'.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? / List Of Non-'chi' Igbo Names / 32 Crowned Obas In Ibadan Is Just A Joke Carried Too Far — Olubadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.