Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,974 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship (5923 Views)

China Builds First 600-feet High, Glass-bottomed Bridge In The World (photos) / Unseen Photo Of Captain And Crew On Board Nigerian Warship NNS Thunder F90 / Governor Fashola Builds First Suspension Bridge In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by bluehorizo(m): 10:17am On Apr 04, 2008
The Nigerian Navy is set to make history with the construction of the first locally-made warship.

Work on the ship, which is being constructed by local engineers using local materials, has reached an advanced stage at the Naval Dockyard, Victoria Island, Lagos.

The construction was inaugurated in December 2007 by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice-Admiral Ganiyu Adekeye.

The CNS, who addressed journalists at the construction site on Thursday, said work on the ship would be completed in September.

He said it was difficult to say precisely how much the construction would cost, but promised to make the cost known to journalists after the completion of work.

Adekeye, however, stressed that the navy was facing difficulty in procuring an engine for the ship.

He said, ”Hopefully, the ship will be completed in September, but we have some limiting factors, especially on the procurement of the engine.

”It is the same set of engine makers that produce the engines for nations all over the world and that leaves you with no option to talk to other producers.

”We contacted some people in Nigeria here but the price they are giving us is twice the price from the manufacturers; and if you go back to the manufacturers, they will send you back to these people.”

Adekeye said that the navy would make sure that the problem was surmounted and the ship inaugurated by September.

Besides, he said the navy had sent requests to the Federal Government that it needed some platforms (ships) and there were assurances that the first set of these platforms would be delivered in due course.

He said most of the attacks on fishing trawlers by pirates were never reported to the navy and when they were reported, it was always four or five days after the attack.

According to him if about 200 trawlers are on the sea and two or three of them are attacked in one month, that would not necessarily cause panic on the high seas.

Adekeye said the navy had also embarked on the training of its officers to fit in to the next level of technical development that the navy was moving to.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2008040323545746
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by oloyesam(m): 12:16pm On Apr 04, 2008
I think it is a commendable fit for the Nigerian Navy. Even though they are facing challenges,i think it is worthwhile for them to receive a morale booster and encouragement. They are not looking outside the shores to buy or build, they are looking inwards to source for it. Its about creativity in the Military and in our goverenment.
Kudos to this guys!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by ono(m): 1:52pm On Apr 04, 2008
Well I thought they fabricated everything including the engine too. How is it that they claimed to have built the warship without the most important component of the ship?
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Kobojunkie: 2:23pm On Apr 04, 2008
Does the Navy really need a warship?? I thought the world is moving towards a world without wars. Why do we need a ship now
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by 4Play(m): 4:39pm On Apr 04, 2008
@Kobo

If you don't want a warship,you might as well disband the Navy. It would be akin to an AirForce without warplanes.

The preeminence of pacifist goals and ideals aren't incompatible with having an adequately equipped military.Actually,peace is often secured through guns-ask WWII era Westerners.

A lot of conflicts in Africa develop and fester because African countries lack adequate military resources to counter security threats.The Niger-Delta is a prime example.Not saying that the solution there must be a military one,but that the objective of stabilization in the Niger-Delta is best served if the Navy has adequate resources to counter the threats posed by the various militants/bandits.In this regard,a warship comes in handy.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Nobody: 5:26pm On Apr 04, 2008
I thought the Nigerian Navy was there for fancy, at least they are embarking on something now and it's enough consolation for me at this moment.

If it's possible can we catch a glimpse of the ship, please. A pic will do.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by doyin13(m): 8:37pm On Apr 04, 2008
When did warship become a euphemism for paddle-boat grin
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Kobojunkie: 9:06pm On Apr 04, 2008
4 Play:

@Kobo

If you don't want a warship,you might as well disband the Navy. It would be akin to an AirForce without warplanes.

The preeminence of pacifist goals and ideals aren't incompatible with having an adequately equipped military.Actually,peace is often secured through guns-ask WWII era Westerners.

A lot of conflicts in Africa develop and fester because African countries lack adequate military resources to counter security threats.The Niger-Delta is a prime example.Not saying that the solution there must be a military one,but that the objective of stabilization in the Niger-Delta is best served if the Navy has adequate resources to counter the threats posed by the various militants/bandits.In this regard,a warship comes in handy.

well, I have mostly come to consider them as Nigerians adult version of the Boy Scout Brigade, mostly cause I still do not get what we need the navy for. I mean so far, I hear more of the army actually going out for missions than I do the navy. I have never really heard much of the navy being involved in much till now. LMAO!!
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by texazzpete(m): 9:46pm On Apr 04, 2008
Pirates are killing Naija fishermen in droves, the Navy needs to step up it's game.
I have little hope for this 'warship' though. In cases like this, we need to discard fake patriotism and get modern hardware.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by 4Play(m): 10:58pm On Apr 04, 2008
The 'warship' is probably a small speedboat with mounted heavy machine guns. grin
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Seun(m): 11:00pm On Apr 04, 2008
I will delete your navy thread if you don't indicate the source, sir. No source, no story.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Kobojunkie: 11:02pm On Apr 04, 2008
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Imani(f): 11:03pm On Apr 04, 2008
I was going to ask questions but since Seun has threatended to close the thread, no need.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by vicade(m): 11:04pm On Apr 04, 2008
@ seun
Cool down now. wats up with the blackmail Relax and take things easy SIR!!!
@poster
If this story is true, then nice one for our beloved country
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Eziachi: 11:36pm On Apr 04, 2008
Nigerian Navy buidling a war ship? Don't make me laugh. It seems that they have forgotten their real jobs description, ie oil bunkering, robbing Igbo traders returning from Cameroon and robbing poor fisher men's of their catch and for the fish to ends up in their wife's soup pot.

Nigeria can't even find an aircraft that disappeared almost a months ago, can't finish a runway rehabilitation at the Port Harcourt airport for almost 3 good years they had shut the airport down, only in Nigeria that airport is totally shut down for three years without an end insight and now they are building a war ship? Who said miracles had stopped?
I hope it's not the same as assembling Peugeot cars in Kaduna and then claimed to have made then even when they are stilling chunning out 504 inside the 21st century.

Anyway, I feel sorry for those that will test drive that Nigerian war ship. I hope they have written their wills and keep up with their life assurance policies because their chance of coming out of it alive is very slim and if they sink, no one will look for them even in the most shallowest of waters.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by naijaking1: 11:37pm On Apr 04, 2008
Nigeria builds warship, helicopter, automobile, bicycle, etc. Sounds good and patriotic, but has anyone ever considered the cost benefit analysis of such projects vs. buying already made items, assemblying and disassemblying them as a way of gaining the technology just like China, Iran and even Israel?
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by bluehorizo(m): 11:58pm On Apr 04, 2008
@Seun

DONE
wink
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by ayanfe(m): 1:44am On Apr 05, 2008
Shame on you. This is very sad. Why can't anything positive be celebrated? I swear these are not Nigerians but agents of foreign nations, and if they are they are happily adopted citizenship of other countries.

China and Japan started out somewhere. There people encouraged there attempts, even though 1950s Chinese goods were teased all over the world.

This is a wonderful acheivement and big up to Nigeria. If we don't celebrate any step forward, why are we suprised we remain an archaic anything goes society with no structure. I notice certain ethnic groups are the most negative.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by naijaking1: 2:31am On Apr 05, 2008
ayanfe:

Shame on you. This is very sad. Why can't anything positive be celebrated? I swear these are not Nigerians but agents of foreign nations, and if they are they are happily adopted citizenship of other countries.

China and Japan started out somewhere. There people encouraged there attempts, even though 1950s Chinese goods were teased all over the world.

This is a wonderful acheivement and big up to Nigeria. If we don't celebrate any step forward, why are we suprised we remain an archaic anything goes society with no structure. I notice certain ethnic groups are the most negative.

The only thing worse than ignorance is being loud when ignorant. You're not more patrotic than anybody who doesn't share your federal-government-can-do-everything attitude.

If you are not stupid, you would agree that building a war ship is not the first thing a country that can't even build a reliable 2-person canoe should be talking about.

Have we developed the technology to build a boat? No; to build our our engines? no; to build appropriate armament for the ship? no.

So, like other typical white elephant projects that have been used to chop money in naija, you want to start building a warship before you even know how to build ships?

No wonder idiots like you who live in fantasy want to go to space when there is no motorable road to go from Benin to Lagos, build nuclear power stations when you can't even maintain a 1950s hydropower station in Kainji.

For guys like you, sir, I think you're either foolish or eminently corrupt. Foolishness makes you unaware of your limitations, while corruption leads you to mask your real intention of defrauding the nation.

If we knew the amount spent on building this indigenous warship, you will be shocked to know that same amount could have purchased 2 or 3 warships, or even laid a solid foundation for research and development program for the national maritime and naval services.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Kobojunkie: 2:56am On Apr 05, 2008
I am still trying to wrap my mind around Pilots calling the air traffic controller on their cell phone while in the air, LMAO!!! Amazing !!!
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by BlackMamba(m): 2:59am On Apr 05, 2008
Funny Naija. There is actually a naval force while Naija Delta militants roam freely around creeks in their engine powered canoes, holding people hostage.

Talking about ship building. Only if we can figure out what is going on with the "corruption conduit" called Ajaokuta steel industry. Hopefully before the end of the 21st century.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by naijaking1: 6:27am On Apr 05, 2008
BlackMamba:

Funny Naija. There is actually a naval force while Naija Delta militants roam freely around creeks in their engine powered canoes, holding people hostage.

Talking about ship building. Only if we can figure out what is going on with the "corruption conduit" called Ajaokuta steel industry. Hopefully before the end of the 21st century.

Ajaokuta is one of the biggest white elephant projects in Africa, every government knows that, but since it provides a ready avenue for them to siphon money from naija, they simply keep it. Not to succeed, or become efficient, but lubricate the purse of the rulers.

If that company had been run by a smaller entity such a state government or a private company, it would have since become profitable.

Governments don't run companies or start wasting billions trying to build indigenous warships, private companies should be doing so.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by EKENEA(m): 8:03am On Apr 05, 2008
@nijaking1

Sorry, but do you know anything about building a boat, because in boat building, even the superstructures can come from any part of the world, also any part of the vessel can came from any where, but what matters is the finish of the vessel, you may buy Dutch built vessel with engine from any part of the world, my company built vessels in Holland but with cat engines( from USA) and superstructure from Romania, the hull from Russia, now we are building vessels in singapore because Iron and labour are cheaper there.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by naijaking1: 1:46pm On Apr 05, 2008
@Ekenea

Somehow you make my point. Holland has many centuries of shipmaking technology, they have generations of shipwrights who design, build and launch ships.

So, in this 2008, the smart choice would be to use items from any part of the World, where ever they can find them at the best prices.

My fear with naija is that the euphoria of building anything indidenously would make people not to care about the price and cost.

Finally, no matter what you order from any part of the World, you still need experts who could capably put them together for best result.

Infact, despite building ocean going vessels for years, Holland is not ranked very high among World producers of the largest warships. In naija, we neither have a history of building any ship, now folks want to build warships.

If a private entity or a university is doing this we might ascribe their efforts to a genuine acedemic pursuit, but when our navy leaves its mandated duty of protecting our coasts-(naija coast is one of the most pirate-infested in the World) and embark on using their time and money for building 'indigineous' warship, it simply breaks my heart.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by BlackMamba(m): 1:16am On Apr 11, 2008
It's simply astounding the level of our collective folly in Naija. It will take a while to get this "ship" going in the right direction.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by naijaking1: 11:11am On Apr 11, 2008
Who knows, next we would be told that the Nigeria airforce has built our first indegenous fighter plane, probably using 80% of their annual budget to accomplish such a feat.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Ikengawo: 6:00pm On Jul 10, 2010
All of you ignorant ghanians and canadians are the reason there's AIDS in the world.

It has been an established fact that a countries navy is the single most important determinant of a countries power. This is why Theodore Roosevelt was obsessed with expanding america's navy, and upon doing that, made america a global power in arms and trade.

this is why the british ruled the world for so many years, they have the biggest best equipped and best trained navy in the known universe
the greeks, the romans, the persians, the egyptians, all had the largest navies of their day.

of course matters of geopolitics are too advanced for the average person here so just ignore them to spare you're self the humiliation.

im proud of this achievement, it will boost peace keeping capabilities and the local economy tremendously if we can build our own boats as we are currently doing. It will also solidify Nigeria's position on the continent, increase maritime security and law enforcement, and boost our industrial base.

well done nigeria! to the people still complaining have you ever asked yourself is there anything done in nigeria, or by nigeria that the rest of the world is proud of and you too are proud with them?

people will applaud this achievement and you found reason to condemn it
nigeria sends satelites to space, you condemn it
nigeria builds roads, you condem it

kill yourself o.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Beaf: 6:03pm On Jul 10, 2010
Ok, this thread was started in 2008, so where is this ship in 2010? Abi it is still at Okija?
Indigenous Warship my foot, 9ja and filmtricks sha! cry cry cry
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by beystwin: 6:24pm On Jul 10, 2010
The naija navy are trying o, I have pics to show. cool

Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Nobody: 12:19am On Jul 11, 2010
If only certain fools would do a search on Google before displaying their ignorance here, we would all be the better for it.

May 2010

''The warship, still under construction at its Apapa base will be completed soon.

General Manager, Naval Dockyard, Commodore A. B. Nuafa, made this known while taking journalists covering the House of Representatives round the Naval dockyard in Lagos.''

http://allafrica.com/stories/201002010691.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by ezeagu(m): 12:35am On Jul 11, 2010
Full Article

January 2010

Abuja — It has also regretted that inadequate funding and irregular power supply have always frustrated its attempt to turn the Dockyard in Apapa into a commercial entity.

The warship, still under construction at its Apapa base will be completed soon.[?]

General Manager, Naval Dockyard, Commodore A. B. Nuafa, made this known while taking journalists covering the House of Representatives round the dockyard in Lagos.

He said the premier docking facilities in the country was already addressing some of the problems through its partnership with Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA).

He said the dockyard needs adequate funding to function well and generate revenue for the country as a commercial outfit, revealing that many of the company's equipment in the various workshops were going bad.

According to him, "Most of the equipment are degrading". He disclosed that the big generating sets ordered by the management to compliment electricity supply would enter the country very soon.

Nuafa, who refused to disclose how much the dockyard was generating , merely said it was not enough to assist its operations, stressing that the potential of the dockyard were well known, even by other countries and investors who had shown interest in acquiring it.

He, however, explained that it was not possible to privatise the dockyard and allow outside interests, given the strategic position it occupies in the security of the country.

Nuafa said the attraction for the dockyard arose because of the nature of its clientele, disclosing that besides the need to attend to repairs and fix vessels belonging to the Nigerian Navy, the dockyard also attracted vessels from private concerns for repairs.

"It is a premier docking facility established to dock and repair naval vessels. We are commercialised because we attend to private vessels.

"We have made arrangements to dock two naval vessels but we have problems of alignment and we are waiting for experts", he said.
Re: Nigerian Navy Builds First Indigenous Warship by Beaf: 12:56am On Jul 11, 2010
ROSSIKE:

If only certain fools would do a search on Google before displaying their ignorance here, we would all be the better for it.

May 2010

''The warship, still under construction at its Apapa base will be completed soon.

General Manager, Naval Dockyard, Commodore A. B. Nuafa, made this known while taking journalists covering the House of Representatives round the Naval dockyard in Lagos.''

http://allafrica.com/stories/201002010691.html

Soon?
If only certain fools would learn to read articles before exposing their foolishness. cry cry cry

bluehorizo:

The Nigerian Navy is set to make history with the construction of the first locally-made warship.

Work on the ship, which is being constructed by local engineers using local materials, has reached an advanced stage at the Naval Dockyard, Victoria Island, Lagos.

The construction was inaugurated in December 2007 by the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice-Admiral Ganiyu Adekeye.

The CNS, who addressed journalists at the construction site on Thursday, said work on the ship would be completed in [size=14pt]September[/size].
. . .
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2008040323545746

. . .Er, does that not mean the ship should have been completed in September 2008, seeing that Vice-Admiral Ganiyu Adekeye was quoted in 2008? Na wa for angry pipul sha! shocked shocked shocked
Abi is it still in Okija? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breakin News= Nigerian First Lady Flown To Germany Again : Sahara Report / Maputo, Mozambique - A City Recovers From 40 Yr Civil War - Pictures / Name Of Muhammadu Buhari In Barewa College Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.